HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we do with the lineup?

Old
04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
No need to rush Saku back in the line up. The team won its last three games without him, and Kovy is doing a great job with the "C" on his chest.

I am even wandering if this team needs Saku anymore... The team doesn't need his useless penalties.
It's the playoffs now, the regular season means nothing... we need all our best players as soon as possible... plus Koivu is a playoffs warrior...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It's the playoffs now, the regular season means nothing... we need all our best players as soon as possible... plus Koivu is a playoffs warrior...
It's just another Koivu hater.No need to respond.

Anyone who thinks that the Habs will be fine without Koivu in the playoffs needs to get his head examined.We won't.He's a excellent playoff performer who delivers under high-pressure situations and wants to compete.We need him as soon as possible,and those who deny it are just ****ing Koivu haters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
O'byrne is playing like crap latelty so Streit must take his spot. Dandy will sit when Ryder's back... one of Kosto or Bégin will sit when Koivu's back.
O'Byrne has been solid and effective lately all around.Not sure if we're watching the same games.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Unfortunately someone has to sit, I think that guy will be Boullion along with Dandenault Brisebois and Grabovski.

Here's my lineup with Koivu and Ryder in...

A.Kostytsin - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Lapierre - S.Kostytsin
Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Komiserek
Streit - O'Byrne

My only changes occur on Defence. With the emergence of the Markov Gorges duo why not give our D that much more depth by sliding Komiserek over with Hamerlik and Streit with O'Byrne?

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:31 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Unfortunately someone has to sit, I think that guy will be Boullion along with Dandenault Brisebois and Grabovski.

Here's my lineup with Koivu and Ryder in...

A.Kostytsin - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Lapierre - S.Kostytsin

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Komiserek
Streit - O'Byrne

My only changes occur on Defence. With the emergence of the Markov Gorges duo why not give our D that much more depth by sliding Komiserek over with Hamerlik and Streit with O'Byrne?
I agree with your forwards, but I can see O'Bryne sitting against Bsoton in G1. I think he's played quite well and has earned a spot, but who hasn't ?

If Koivu's ready to go, he obviously plays. Agree or disagree, it'll be the same for Bouillon. He's had a good year, he and Gorges have been a solid no nonsense pairing.

By game 2, who knows, anyone of TK, Ryder,Lats could sit. If he had a slow start in the post season, S.Kost. could sit. I know that's sacrilege right now, but if he freezes at all, he'd be a candidate. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Watch Ryder, if he makes things happen, that changes a lot.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
you must've been drunk or something while watching games lately...

O'Byrne has been GREAT, he's throwing his weight around more and has been playing like a veteran.

Our best line the last few games has been Smolinski Begin Kostopolous, no way in hell we'd break them up.
People see a few hits and assume someone's playing well..

O'byrne is out of position 90% of the time, he takes stupid decisions, he ices the puck too often, he can't pass ... he's going to be good at some point, no doubt about thatm but right now he's too much of a liabilty out there.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
mcphee

Quote:

O'byrne is out of position 90% of the time, he takes stupid decisions, he ices the puck too often, he can't pass ... he's going to be good at some point, no doubt about thatm but right now he's too much of a liabilty out there.
I disagree Nick. I think he's pretty effective. He doesn't force passes, but has some patience with the puck. I find he's reliable in that he doesn't chase too much. I still think he could be a choice to sit, but more due to others playing well than O'B playing poorly.

Old
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
My guess:

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn
Streit - Lapierre - Ryder
Bégin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Bouillon - Gorges

Scratches: Latendresse, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Dandenault, Stewart

If Carbo prefers Latendresse over Lapierre then Higgins/Kostitsyn will play center

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I disagree Nick. I think he's pretty effective. He doesn't force passes, but has some patience with the puck. I find he's reliable in that he doesn't chase too much. I still think he could be a choice to sit, but more due to others playing well than O'B playing poorly.
I disagree with pretty much everybody on this thread... last time it happend was when Garth Murray was supposed to be our new savior...

Seriously though... IMO O'byrne looks completly lost on many occasions during a game. Right now, with the type of hockey the team is playing and the way Price keeps the nets, it doesn't really show or matter.. but the playoffs is something else, and trust me you don't want to see O'byrne's brain cramps when the game is on the line.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I disagree with pretty much everybody on this thread... last time it happend was when Garth Murray was supposed to be our new savior...

Seriously though... IMO O'byrne looks completly lost on many occasions during a game. Right now, with the type of hockey the team is playing and the way Price keeps the nets, it doesn't really show or matter.. but the playoffs is something else, and trust me you don't want to see O'byrne's brain cramps when the game is on the line.
Nick we can disagree about O'b, but I don't think youy can use Murray as indicator of your knowledge here. You didn't like him, many thought , oh well he's not very good but his hair's funny. Some thought, well atleast he fights now andt hen, I don't recall many thinking he was any more than than that. There was hope he could be a dfeensive player but he proved he couldn't handle it, Saviour ? I wouldn't follow that religion.

Old
04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
ericd

A.Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Begin - Higgins - S.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lapierre - Ryder
Streit - Koivu

Markov - Komisarek
Brisebois - Hamrlik
Bouillon - O'Byrne
Gorges

We play 7 defenseman and switch players on the 3 last attacking lines...

ericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Damn it! When was the last time we could argue about who to dress and who to sit for a playoff game and everyone's choices were both wrong and right?

Or to put it another way, arguments to play one set of players are just as good as arguments to sit the same set of players.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Streit will end up taking either Ryder's spot, Lats' spot or O'Byrne spot. Streit will be in the lineup.

Thing is I'm not sure Koivu wil be there at the start so it shouldn't be a problem right now...but it will become one real soon....
I agree on both counts. Streit plays no matter what. And as well as the guys have played in his absence, I think there's no question having Saku back in the lineup is a plus. It sucks because someone who has played well will have to sit, but that's how it goes.

So my lines would be:

A.Kost-Pleks-Kovy
Higgins-Koivu-S.Kost
Latendresse-Lapierre-Dandenault
Bégin-Smoke-Kosto

Lines 1 and 4 stay intact. Line 2 should work because all three are solid players and have had chemistry in the past. But more importantly, I think they go together because Lapierre and Latendresse have great chemistry and we could use Dandenault's experience. (And the fact that he's playing good hockey isn't hurting.) Latendresse had one of his best games last night and if that confidence carries over to the playoffs it go a long way to helping his development. Lapierre has been excellent in the circle of late, and is really improving as a player. And as I said, Dandenault's veteran presence could really help them along.

I think Julien will probably have Chara and Axelsson on Kovy every single shift so it'll be important to get secondary scoring. That's where veteran presence like Koivu's will come in handy to his linemates. I think a Higgins-Koivu-Kost line could be hard to contain for the Bruins.

Finally I'd like to praise the Bégin-Smoke-Kostopoulos line for their play of late because I think they'll be key in the playoffs. Smoke has been great over the past few weeks, not only winning key faceoffs but also creating chances and even contributing on the scoresheet. And Bégin and Kostopoulos are just going about their business and playing effective hockey, battling in the corners, cycling and forechecking hard. I hope this line stays together and plays well in the playoffs.

Defence:

Markov-Komi
Hamrlik-Streit
Bouillon-Gorges

Scratches: Ryder, Grabovski, Stewart, Brisebois, O'Byrne.

So the big move I could see is O'Byrne sitting early in the series with Streit moving to D and Dandenault staying at forward for a line of Lantendresse-Lapierre-Dandenault. I think Carbo likes what Dandy is giving him now as a forward and would simply slot Streit back on D. With Komisarek and Bouillon back in the lineup and Gorges emerging as a big minute eater, there should be no worries about putting Streit back on D. But I could see both Ryder and O'Byrne being rotated in early in the series as well.

Overall though, the really, really, really nice thing about this argument is that there are not really any wrong answers. It's been so long since this team has had enough depth to really put together a competent and complete lineup. The mere fact that we can legitimately argue for resting Koivu early in the series if he's not 100% shows that this team has come a long way.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Bouillon is not back yet. Thre is still 6 spots on D if you take Brisebois out. Streit will be in the line up anyway. Ryder could stay out for the rest of the season, I really don't mind.
How did you like the Comeback of the Century game against the Rangers?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
jcpenny

Cant wait to see what Carbo has in mind...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
zzoo

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Grabovski - S.Kostitsyn
Begin - Smolinski - Lapierre

Or
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Lapierre - S.Kostitsyn
Begin - Smolinski - Kosto

Markov - Komi
Harmlik - Streit
Bouillon - Gorges

Out: Dandenault, Kostopoulos/Grabovski, O'byrne, Brisebois

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Habs12max

It's almost sure that ryder is leaving after the year he had in montreal, why should we make him play in the playoff instead of streit ? Streit may stay with Montreal, I'm sure he enjoys to play here. He had a really good year and is a key player on the powerplay and he knows it.

I say keep the core, the player that want to win , that played hard during all the year, instead of a newfie who is streaky and looks like he do not care about the logo on his jersey. The montreal canadiens DO have a good chance to win the cup this year, and if they make it, I think it's going to be with STREIT in the line-up, on offense (where he definetly belong I think) .

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
It's almost sure that ryder is leaving after the year he had in montreal, why should we make him play in the playoff instead of streit ? Streit may stay with Montreal, I'm sure he enjoys to play here. He had a really good year and is a key player on the powerplay and he knows it.

I say keep the core, the player that want to win , that played hard during all the year, instead of a newfie who is streaky and looks like he do not care about the logo on his jersey. The montreal canadiens DO have a good chance to win the cup this year, and if they make it, I think it's going to be with STREIT in the line-up, on offense (where he definetly belong I think) .
Ryder and Streit will both play IMO.

Old
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Ryder and Streit will both play IMO.
ryder do NOT deserve to play, I'd play every foward on the team before him. When you have warriors like Lappiere, begin, kostopoulos...It's good for the playoffs, and on offense we are ok without ryder's contribution.

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
O'byrne is playing like crap latelty so Streit must take his spot. Dandy will sit when Ryder's back... one of Kosto or Bégin will sit when Koivu's back.
what the hell? Did you watch the last 10 games or not? He's playing 10 x better then when he started not to mention he's starting to hit alot more. You were way off on that one...

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
My guess:

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn
Bégin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Brisebois
Bouillon - Gorges

Scratches: Latendresse, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Dandenault, Stewart

If Carbo prefers Latendresse over Lapierre then Higgins/Kostitsyn will play center

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
El Wama

Jimmy - Plecks - Kovy
Latender - Higgins - Billy

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Komisarek
Bouillon - O'byrne

I want Gorges with Markov AGAIN. They have been great. Why split up 3 d-pairing in the first game of the playoffs? Why when we can have 3 solid pairing. I really don't understand.

One thing that haven't been mentionned, is that the communication between Price and his d-core has been excellent had he let 2 goals in his last 3 games. Since Gorges and Markov have been the 2 most utilised defensman, why separate them? I don't wanna shake up things before the playoffs.

Also, I don't think Carbo will rush Saku, Laps Streit and Latendresse played well together (see The Comeback).

I think that Gainey and Carbo will give the young guns plenty of time instead of the vets. I can see a guy like Stewart one game.

El Wama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
jcpenny

Quote:

OByrne finished the season with a +7. I agree with you on the passing but its more about not wanting to make a mistake. He never forces passes and prefers to make the safer play. In his zone he is not a liability at all. Do you watch the games?? Even when his beaten he has the ability to recover with his mobility and long reach that he uses really well to cut passing lanes. Lately he started to carry the puck more to get himself out of trouble which is a great sign of improvement and confidence. He has at least earned himself a place on the starting six for the start of the playoffs. Its off to him to show the coaching staff that he deserves to stay there.

Old
04-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Lemons

Habs should start Dandinault in the playoffs.

Lets face it, as much as most of us do not like it, the last games he actually played in he was phenominal. I definitely see him being a "pisani-style" player for the habs in the playoffs. He also is 1 of 2 current habs who've won a cup.

Also, he is the fastest skater on the habs therefore making him a great asset in the boston series. He has midrange physical ability and he definitely has heart. He always finishes his hits and has some grit.

I donno, i definitely think he could make an impact.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:51 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
He was playing well in the few games he played after he was re-inserted into the lineup, I wouldn't mind. Either way, Carbo has lots of tools, I'm sure he'll use them to maximize the team's performance.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 03:30 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
No they shouldn't unless there is an injury. He doesn't bring anything more than Begin, Kostopoulos or Smolinski except speed. The others are better PKers and have more grit. And as a unit they are playing very well.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote