HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Secondary Scoring Myth

Old
04-07-2008, 05:33 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
The Secondary Scoring Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
I love CBC analyzing our weaknesses on their sports site and one is lack of secondary scoring. How could a team that led the NHL in scoring without a single top 10 goal or point scorer lack scoring depth? Only team in the league with 7 guys at 50+ pts. if I'm not mistaken.
"Lack of secondary scoring?"

We'll take the 8 Eastern playoff teams, look at total goals scored, subtract the goals of the top 3 goalscorers of their team, and see what is left in "secondary" scoring, ok?

Montreal....... 262 - 91 = 171

Pittsburgh.... 247 - 102 = 135

Washington.. 242 - 117 = 125

New Jersey... 206 - 74 = 132

Rangers........ 213 - 73 = 140

Philadelphia... 248 - 93 = 155

Ottawa....... 261 - 115 = 146

Boston......... 212 - 68 = 144

So, the Habs are EASILY #1 in secondary scoring, though only #5 in "primary scoring". By this I mean that four teams got more goals from their top 3 scorers than the Habs did.

For secondary scoring, we could make a small adjustment to Pittsburgh, to add Hossa and Dupuis' pre-trade goals and subtract Christensen and Armstrong's, but they still come in below Montreal.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Stephen Locke*

The CBC's panelists analysis concerning the Habs supposed lack of secondary/support scoring was way off.This is the highest scoring squad of the league with a very well balanced attack to boot.

Lack of depth who may hurt the Habs because they have two defenseman in the top scoring for the Habs?Don't have enough scoring production on ES

Ridiculous.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:16 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
The CBC's panelists analysis concerning the Habs supposed lack of secondary/support scoring was way off.This is the highest scoring squad of the league with a very well balanced attack to boot.

Lack of depth who may hurt the Habs because they have two defenseman in the top scoring for the Habs?Don't have enough scoring production on ES

Ridiculous.
I know where CBC got the tip regarding the Habs.

They were listening to Guy Lafleur back in December!!

"Ils ont quatre quatrième lignes". - Guy Lafleur, an old geezer who can only remember one number now.

Old
04-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
It's a new season

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Tuggy

The myth that bugs me the most is the myth that we only win because of our PP. I agree last year that was the case but this year it is certainly not. We have the best PP, yes that is true and that is a very good thing to have BTW, but we are also top 10 in ES goals for this season. The Habs can score in any situation.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
It's a new season
Wow... just... wow

Well said mate... it's been a while since I read an good post...

Listen to this guy... Everything you know about the habs is now over. Fresh start from here guys... We will see a whole new league. The 16 teams will all be different from what we know of them.

Blame frog speak, but, when I read my post again I though someone could maybe think I am sarcastic but I assure you that this is not the case.

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Wow... just... wow

Listen to this guy... Everything you know about the habs is now over. Fresh start from here guys... We will see a whole new league. The 16 teams will all be different from what we know of them.

Blame frog speak, but, when I read my post again I though someone could maybe think I am sarcastic but I assure you that this is not the case.
I heard that in the new league the Senators have an incredible goaltending duo. Sens Fans told me.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

CBC looks good on this one!!

I feel like emailing them a link to this thread.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I know where CBC got the tip regarding the Habs.

They were listening to Guy Lafleur back in December!!

"Ils ont quatre quatrième lignes". - Guy Lafleur, an old geezer who can only remember one number now.
How about a little respect?

He said it and apologized later on.

Still, he shook this team. He might have played a bigger role than anyone not in the organization could have.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
It's a new season
The last 6 cup winners have been #1 or #2 seeds so it's not that different

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Quiet Robert

There are a lot of myths concerning the Habs' offence going into the playoffs. All the players have to do is play their game and prove the analysts wrong.

But there is nothing funnier than questions being raised about secondary scoring on a team with 7 50+ point players. This entire team was built on secondary scoring.

That said, the myth that bugs me even more is the one that we are a PP only team. While it's true that of our offence comes from the PP, but how can anyone look past the fact that this team was 9th in 5 on 5 scoring? In a league where every game is so tight and offence is hard to come by, that has to count for something.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I heard that in the new league the Senators have an incredible goaltending duo. Sens Fans told me.
Man.... Of course the odds are in favor of sucky goaltending from Ottawa. But please remember that sometimes odds aren't right, especially in the playoffs. Remember a certain Hedberg?

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

If PJ Stock said it then obviously it is true, he's always right about the habs

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
How about a little respect?

He said it and apologized later on.

Still, he shook this team. He might have played a bigger role than anyone not in the organization could have.
I have great respect for the achievements of Guy Lafleur from about 1974 to 1980. I find it sad that he allowed tobacco (and possibly alcohol?!) to slow him down prematurely. His last season with more than 27 goals was at age 28. Had he stayed in shape, he could have had a 750-800 goal career.

I have no respect, however, for the way he dumped on the Habs forwards on province-wide television. It was not what I would expect from a paid ambassador for the team. You would NEVER hear a Jean Beliveau say something like that, nor a Serge Savard, and he's not even on the payroll anymore. Guy decided to seek attention and try to make himself look good by kicking people who were down, on a night when the Habs were shut out. I was not impressed.

His apology was no more impressive, essentially taking credit for sparking the team!

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 04-07-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old
04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Wow... just... wow

Yeah i hope our new rookie, Kovalev, will have a good freshmen playoffs season.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Incompetence or antiHabs bias?

It has to be one or the other.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Incompetence or antiHabs bias?

It has to be one or the other.
I believe it's incompetence, the guy would have look only at the stats and saw two defencemens in the top 5 and toughts that it was because we couldnt score, and he must have tought Sergeï and Lats are retards for having only 27 points, and that Grabovsky had history of retardation in the family because he only got 9 points. Dont forget that a lot of guys were benched and didn't have much ice time, so it doesnt look good in the stats.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
LyleOdelein

Morrison is an analyst that I've always found to be informative and on the ball. However, he's nicely undone that with this article. To say that scoring depth is a weakness on this team is on par with saying that Anaheim lacks a true #1 defenceman. It's just blatantly retarded.

When you look at the scorers on this team, our depth is incredible.
Kovalev, A Kost, S Kost, Koivu, Higgins, Pleks, Ryder, Lats are all guys that can play on scoring lines and chip in when on their game. Even the bottom tier players on our team can occassionally chip in from the fourth line offensively (Dandy, Lappy, Kosto, Smoke). Our defence has Markov and Streit to dominate the PP. Hamrlik is a fairly frequent point producer as well. I've seen every game this year, and thinking about our depth impresses me every time I do.

No reason to get bent out of shape about Morrison's comments. He's just proven that when discussing the Habs, his authority is zero.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote