HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stories: People who STILL refuse to give the Habs credit

Old
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Vards

vCash: 500
Stories: People who STILL refuse to give the Habs credit

So after talking to some friends, listening to analysts, and cruising around some other team's boards I've come to realize that despite all the great things the Habs have done so far this season, there are A LOT of people who still don't think they are any good.

No rather than getting pissed off about this and arguing with people in other boards or whatever, I thought it might be fun to start this thread where we can share our stories of the ignorance of others and laugh at things like "the habs are soft" and "the habs have no secondary scoring" etc.

Anyway, I am not trying to start a big raucous, but rather the opposite and wanted to make this thread a place for people to come and post when they hear something rediculous, rather than starting arguments with whomever said the rediculous comment.

I'll start:

My Sens fan friend: "If the Sens get past the Penguins, they'll win the East for sure."

I didn't even know where to start in explaining to him that he might want to worry about the team who actually finished first in the East..

Vards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
AH

Does it matter what they say?

Denial is a difficult thing to live with...

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

"Montreal finished first because all the other teams in the east have underachieved."

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vards View Post
I'll start:

My Sens fan friend: "If the Sens get past the Penguins, they'll win the East for sure."

That's a BIG if... Is your friend that confident about that statement?

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
David_99

"The Habs only finished where they did because they scored so many goals and they had consistent goaltending this year." -Bruins fan at work.

All of which is true but... he said it as if it were a bad thing.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Though people are waiting to see how we'll handle themselves in the playoffs and are not convinced we're build for that....

You know....I know some Habs fans who are waiting to see what Ribeiro will do in playoffs too....

P.S. It's a joke to explain my point. DON'T START A RIBEIRO THREAD BASED ON THIS PLEASE.....)

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

And we won't get any credit if we beat Boston because we owned them all year long.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Kachino

You know when you talk to someone and they don't listen to you at all or they just listen to you selectively. Those are the most frustrating discussions you can have ever. It's something to be a fan of a team. It's another thing to hate the other team so much that you can give credit when credit is due.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Doctor House

"Boston is due" <- this one is hilarious

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
dlandry77

Here is why we did awesome and other fans are plain stupid, well beacuse they are not Hab fans.

1. We have the best coach in the league and probably the best shot blocking coach as well.
2. We have the best GM in the league that gets the right players for our team 8/10 times.
3. Kovalev one of the best players in the league, it shows in the top 10.
4. The best rookie goaltending the league and a up and commer to be great.
5. Best shut down d-man in the league in Mike K. Most hits and Most shot blocks
6. Thomas Pleks and AK47 showing why they are elite players in this league
7. Higgins showing he can be effective defensively and also on the offense. Perhaps similar to Carbo hmmmmm.
8. Did I mention Markov one of the best d-man in the league( top 5). The reason why our powerplay is so great and don't care about Souray. It was all Markov.

I could go on more but I think that is still pretty good.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
mytor4*

I also like this one. The habs made a bad deal when they traded Huet away. They had a chance to go places with Huet but now there finished. I guess they never heard of a goalie named Carey Price.:

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandry77 View Post
Here is why we did awesome and other fans are plain stupid, well beacuse they are not Hab fans.

1. We have the best coach in the league and probably the best shot blocking coach as well.
2. We have the best GM in the league that gets the right players for our team 8/10 times.
3. Kovalev one of the best players in the league, it shows in the top 10.
4. The best rookie goaltending the league and a up and commer to be great.
5. Best shut down d-man in the league in Mike K. Most hits and Most shot blocks
6. Thomas Pleks and AK47 showing why they are elite players in this league
7. Higgins showing he can be effective defensively and also on the offense. Perhaps similar to Carbo hmmmmm.
8. Did I mention Markov one of the best d-man in the league( top 5). The reason why our powerplay is so great and don't care about Souray. It was all Markov.

I could go on more but I think that is still pretty good.
im a habs fan and this is overly homerish on certain points...

1) Kovalev is not in the top 10....top 15.
2) Neither Pleks nor Ak47 have reached Elite status. Yet.
3) Best shut down dman is Lidstrom...he doesnt need to block shots because...no shots get taken.
4) Actually...we had Markov while our coach was NOT Carbonneau and our PP sucked ass. Dont you remember? With Jullien? It was God awful. In comes Carbonneau and...hey! Best PP. (we also had an awesome PP back in the days of Therrien, when Carbs was the assistant coach).

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I also like this one. The habs made a bad deal when they traded Huet away. They had a chance to go places with Huet but now there finished. I guess they never heard of a goalie named Carey Price.:
or even Halak ALONE would be sufficient enough answer practically. Bringing Price into the argument just destroys their point of view.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:06 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Never ceases to amaze me the lack of respect Montreal gets. Me and my buddies had our playoff pool draft last night, 15 teams 8 players each. I scooped Plekanec, Markov, Koivu, SKost, and Ryder. Kovalev went first overall to a Habs fan and everyone was laughing at him. Nobody except me and 2 other Hab fans picked any Montreal players, not that they are guaranteed anything but people still had the perception that they can't score and are playing over their heads. We'll see who gets the last laugh.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
When we had Huet they kept saying Huet is an unproven goalie

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Karl Pilkington

From the Habs-Bruins thread on the playoff board... some 'Ruins fan was trying to say that if we subtract the Habs' 8 wins against the Bruins this year that the Bruins have a better record..

.. he keeps bringing up this POV for two pages as if this argument says anything good about his team. I don't get why he's so fond of this argument?

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristoHuet View Post
From the Habs-Bruins thread on the playoff board... some 'Ruins fan was trying to say that if we subtract the Habs' 8 wins against the Bruins this year that the Bruins have a better record..

.. he keeps bringing up this POV for two pages as if this argument says anything good about his team. I don't get why he's so fond of this argument?
Yeah, that argument doesn't make any sense to be honest. You could do the exact same thing for the Rangers vs the Devils and many other teams throughout the league.

Bringing this up simply shows you don't understand sports if you ask me. A lot of teams throughout history have had their "bÍte noir" and the losses still count as wins for the other team.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976

thats all you gotta do...smile and nod

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristoHuet View Post

Yep, this is just silly... how to compare both team? By looking at their records against other teams not their face-to-face record...

Bruins fans got nothing to cheer for this year against the habs except for fist fights wins and moral victories... that's why a lot of them go miles away to find some kind of cheerfull argument...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
dlandry77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
im a habs fan and this is overly homerish on certain points...

2) Neither Pleks nor Ak47 have reached Elite status. Yet.
3) Best shut down dman is Lidstrom...he doesnt need to block shots because...no shots get taken.
4) Actually...we had Markov while our coach was NOT Carbonneau and our PP sucked ass. Dont you remember? With Jullien? It was God awful. In comes Carbonneau and...hey! Best PP. (we also had an awesome PP back in the days of Therrien, when Carbs was the assistant coach).
My bad Kovalev is actually 11th, I might be a homer but the facts are here this year.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/?se...ilter=&group=1
By points and nothing else he is 11th overall in the league.Markov is 6th in the NHL for points and you can not say this guy is not important. Do really think Streit would be 3rd in points for dman without Markov. I really think he could have got nominated for the Norris. Lidstrom wins hands down but Markov is our Quarterback. As well as Carbs and muller and Jarvis. Also Markov has matured since then. These are all pieces of the puzzle that one person can take over the other. Everyone has worked this year and needs to be shown some gratitude.

Ok, AK47 might not be elite yet, but Thomas Pleks has made the Brier signing dust in the wind. In my mind a player that gets over 65 points a year is an elite player, very talented. Maybe my defintion of an elite player is different then yours. Is Hossa an elite player????? he got 66 points.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
PRMan

As a Kings fan, I would say that it's because you have no big name players.

It doesn't matter because teams have won a Stanley Cup without them (92/93, LA had the "big names", Montreal, not so much, but you guys won).

Don't worry about it. It's a tremendous advantage to be undervalued in the playoffs.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post

thats all you gotta do...smile and nod
I'm 100% behind you in this quest Jaydee...

I say we start a mass Habs "Smile and nod campaign"!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Let actions speak louder than any words.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
He's not even top 15. Skill wise, he's top 3, maybe the player wit the most skill, but his work ethic and now possibly the age factor, he's not as good as he could be.

Still a very impressive season by him and what he's shown here, is only a shadow of his true talent.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Habskrieg

kovalev:
11th in points 15th in goals

That's damn good for a 35 year old hockey player...
May not be as fit as Alex the Great, but fit enough to pull some good moves (gloverama hmm?). This guy just keeps himself in such incredible shape, imo he can play for a couple more years easy.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote