HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

"Season in Review" 2007-2008

Old
04-07-2008, 09:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
"Only"? Was there anyone on this team for more than a half dozen games that didn't get a shot on the top two lines? Besides Jody, I mean.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
That's all well and good, but you can only "earn" trust if you are given opportunity. For some reason the only person this coach routinely wants to give an opportunity on the second line is a guy who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at any level of hockey, but he's confident somewhere inside is a 20 goal scorer.
The first opportunity begins in rookie camp, then in training camp. Jared Boll took advantage of HIS opportunity and has proven to be an NHL-caliber player, even if it's only the third or fourth line.

The Syracuse boys will almost certainly get their opportunities when called up for injuries.

On to the second topic, Chimera already IS an NHL-caliber player. He's third line material in my book, but Hitch stubbornly believes he can make Chimmer a better player.

Admittedly, that is the only hole in my thesis. All development is not limited to Syracuse. Development of NHL-ready talent takes place in Columbus as well. Exhibit A: Nash. Exhibit B: Zherdev. So to revise...

What I wanted Hitch to mean: "Columbus is for NHL-ready players to develop and win now. Syracuse is for AHL-ready players to develop and win now."

What Hitch probably meant: "Hey all you free agents, look over here!"

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

During the first intermission, Howson was interviewed by Rimer's Mustache (I think some gouda fell out of it during the interview)

Howson: "Looking for 1 or 2 centers and 3 defenseman"

The second part shocked me.... Hejda and Rusty are probably the only two whom I'll say will be back for sure, unless he was talking three defenseman as in Hejda is currently a free agent and he will begin talking with him immediately.

Russell looks like he could use a full year in Syracuse, running the powerplay.

That aside, This season can be summed up like this, no expectations that couldn't be met were made, It still wasn't good enough.

We still saw the "Old Bluejackets" on some nights.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
That's not how I took his remarks. My take is that he wants a scenario where...
"Syracuse is for developing. Columbus is for winning."
(quotation is mine)
Good quotation , but which do you want to win with? With average but old players? Find me any star who will come to play here and not prefer club with SC chance. I remember your words before season that Columbus is one of prefering clubs. And do we get an excelent UFA players? Be realists at last. We must only trade. On the other hands which players can be offer if we want to get any star? No player which we want to trade.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Nordique

The Good:

11 points out of the playoffs, thats quite an improvement over the 23 point defeciency the prior year. If we don't ship out two core players at the trade deadline, we probably finish 5 or 6 points out of the playoffs. This is the first year we were really in it until the last 10 games of the season.

The Bad:

We squandered an icredible start. We were sitting at 4th place I believe after October and steadily degraded from there. This could have been the year.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
The good:

The start was the best time I've ever had as a Blue Jackets fan.

The bad:

The last few months were the WORST time I've had as a Blue Jackets fan. Worse than being out since January, personally.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
MisterC

Send a message via AIM to MisterC
Going into this season, all I wanted was the team to finish 3rd in the division.

I could go all snot-nosed brat and whine that they didn't even get THAT oner, but let's be honest... this team this year took us on a wild ride.

The first half of this season... it almost seemed improbable that the team was doing what it was doing. Granted, a lot of it was done off of Pazzy's back. But does anybody remember when they flashed Lord Stanley's Cup on the big screen at Nationwide? 2 years ago, that would be laughable. This year, it was believable.

This offseason, the holes are obvious. We need some top-line centers to feed Rick and Nik. The defense needs some tweaking. But how nice is it to have flaws that can be defined (as opposed to the entire team being a wreck), and a man at the helm who can address them?

I'm looking forward to Carrying the Flag in '08-'09.

MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
I'm looking forward to Carrying the Flag in '08-'09.
Personally I'm hoping for something a little "cooler" than that next year. Something more badass. Carry the Flag is trés lame.

There, I said it. Been waitin all year.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The Good:

11 points out of the playoffs, thats quite an improvement over the 23 point defeciency the prior year. If we don't ship out two core players at the trade deadline, we probably finish 5 or 6 points out of the playoffs. This is the first year we were really in it until the last 10 games of the season.

The Bad:

We squandered an icredible start. We were sitting at 4th place I believe after October and steadily degraded from there. This could have been the year.

pretty much

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
EDM

this is one of the worst scoring teams in the league and Howson thinks we need one, MAYBE, two centers, no additional wings and i am supposed to be excited about next year when we will be only the 23rd worst scoring team rather than 29th ??? this sounds bad to me. Get a grip on it Mr. Howson, there is more than one hole in the offense.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
I thought before the season that a playoff spot would be a stretch for the CBJ, so I'm not nearly as disappointed as a lot of you seem to be.

Injuries and a lack of depth in the top six took a toll: Vyborny turned invisible and Modin missed most of the season with injuries, but those are the kinds of things that happen over the course of an NHL season. That's why you need depth.

I've yet to hear anybody mention anything to help the team (anything realistically possible) which was not done, so I'm not too unhappy with management.

It was a transitional year. The Foote and Fedorov contracts are gone, we've got some extra draft choices, no young talent was sent packing for short-term fixes (with the possible exception of Glencross).

Damage was done to the fan base, but that was pretty-much inevitable, and no number of over-priced second-tier free agents was going to prevent it. Now our leadership team knows exactly what they do and don't have, they have a lot of tools to work with, and there are absolutely no more acceptable excuses.

Personally, I think Scott Howson is going to surprise a lot of people this off-season. I admit it's possible he'll mess it up and we'll be having this same conversation in a year. If he does, I'll bring my pitchfork and join the lynch mob.

But I suspect that won't be necessary.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Personally I'm hoping for something a little "cooler" than that next year. Something more badass. Carry the Flag is trés lame.

There, I said it. Been waitin all year.
Je porterai le drapeau. Très bien.

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The Bad:

That's one way of looking at it. But, to me, the Jackets were over their heads for a while. That was fun. Then reality caught up with them. That sucked.

Even with surprisingly strong goaltending, it would have taken a surprising amount of luck with injurieis or slumps to maintain the momentum.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:13 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
This offseason, the holes are obvious. We need some top-line centers to feed Rick and Nik. The defense needs some tweaking. But how nice is it to have flaws that can be defined (as opposed to the entire team being a wreck), and a man at the helm who can address them?

I don't know, I think we knew those flaws last year. Knowing them and fixing them are two very different things.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Dawg8

Maybe they used all the "powder" from the cannon when they shot it off 3 times at the end of the game! That kinda bordered on overkill. Lose the cannon next year!

Dawg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjwheel View Post
Je porterai le drapeau. Très bien.
s'il vous plait ne faire pas bro

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg8 View Post
Maybe they used all the "powder" from the cannon when they shot it off 3 times at the end of the game! That kinda bordered on overkill. Lose the cannon next year!
Management got optimistic and ordered enough powder for the pitiful amount of 196 goals. Then when the team underperformed, they had to get rid of it somehow.

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
BluejacketNut

The Good- This dreadful season is over
The Bad- The season is over and we're not in the playoffs....AGAIN

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
I don't know, I think we knew those flaws last year. Knowing them and fixing them are two very different things.
Seriously. Even xGMDM knew we needed a couple centers and a puck-moving d-man. Funny, neither of those were addressed and we weren't much better this year than last at the end of the day. Strange how that works.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If Hitch can't figure a way to work with young talent, he's not the right guy for this team.
Same urban legend garbage spread around constantly. I could illustrate the 2k5/6 Flyers for the 35th time, and people would still say he doesn't know how to deal with younger players. People just continue to ignore it. It's just easier to ignore it and blame the current coach, instead of just saying we've drafted poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I disagree that they're are only two types of successful teams.
I'm all for young talent - as long as it's NHL talent. Keep the AHL and juniors talents in their respective leagues (outside of the occasional 'cup of coffee'). We've tried this babysitting crap for seven years and look where it's gotten us.
I agree with your take on this and multiple other posts.

If they aren't ready, they aren't ready. Hitch isn't going to play them. We need to quit sending players that aren't ready up to the big club. We drafted like crap and we're going to be paying the price for a while longer. We are behind where we should be with the farm team(s).

We send up Brassard, Hitch doesn't play him much. We send up Murray, Hitch plays him.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Seriously. Even xGMDM knew we needed a couple centers and a puck-moving d-man. Funny, neither of those were addressed and we weren't much better this year than last at the end of the day. Strange how that works.
So Ar-too. Which FA center did you want with the small increase in payroll we had to work with in the offseason? Comrie?

With no payroll restriction, did you want Briere, Gomez, or Drury with the contracts they signed?

Same thing we debated about at the beginning of the year. Same crappy players or same good players with bad contract terms.

Same issues I have going into this season. Hopefully we can trade for someone, because the FA cubbard looks pretty bare.

Old
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Same urban legend garbage spread around constantly. I could illustrate the 2k5/6 Flyers for the 35th time, and people would still say he doesn't know how to deal with younger players. People just continue to ignore it. It's just easier to ignore it and blame the current coach, instead of just saying we've drafted poorly.
The fact is that there wasn't a single player under the age of 23 that averaged more than 15 minutes/game on this team. The two 23 year olds were named "Nash" and "Zherdev", respectively. I guess you only get those kind of minutes on Hitch's team after you've spent 3-5 years in the minors.

Gilbert Brule has been a waste on this team, as I expected from the beginning of the season. Even after his stint in the minors, when he played well within Hitch's system he found himself below guys like Vyborny and Chimera on the depth chart. Watching Hitch continue to insist that Chimera is a 30 goal scorer while using Brule on a grinder line has just been laughable. Almost as laughable as when Hitch pretended that Alexander Svitov was a second line center for a full season. Brassard decided it was best to go back to Syracuse rather than rot on the bench.

Apparently there's more truth to the rumors than some would like to believe.

Quote:
We send up Brassard, Hitch doesn't play him much. We send up Murray, Hitch plays him.
Almost a full 12 minutes/game on the grinder line. Wow. That must have been a tough call for Hitch.

Last edited by CapnCornelius: 04-07-2008 at 04:32 PM.
CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
blahblah

So here's to never, ever, in our lifetime, see this again...

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=359615

6 players... /wrists

Old
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
The fact is that there wasn't a single player under the age of 23 that averaged more than 15 minutes/game on this team. The two 23 year olds were named "Nash" and "Zherdev", respectively. I guess you only get those kind of minutes on Hitch's team after you've spent 3-5 years in the minors.

Gilbert Brule has been a waste on this team, as I expected from the beginning of the season. Even after his stint in the minors, when he played well within Hitch's system he found himself below guys like Vyborny and Chimera on the depth chart. Watching Hitch continue to insist that Chimera is a 30 goal scorer while using Brule on a grinder line has just been laughable. Almost as laughable as when Hitch pretended that Alexander Svitov was a second line center for a full season. Brassard decided it was best to go back to Syracuse rather than rot on the bench.
Didn't Hitch name Brule as a "Core" Guy...what a joke.... Brule has been garbage, albeit because he's not getting chances from Hitch or he's lost his confidence of whatever.

Wasting time with Chimera, you know what you have with him, don't waste time trying to squeeze water from a stone. I think Svitov as a second line center was purely because this team was handcuffed as far as what it was able to accomplish during the transition between Gallant and Hitchcock and remember, Hitch likes guys that don't score, ergo Murray. We're not making the playoffs if we can't score, despite how good our defense could be....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
frito

Quote:
So here's to never, ever, in our lifetime, see this again...

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=359615

6 players... /wrists
Well, maybe towards the end of training camp each year, but preferably at no other time through out the year.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote