HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Draft Lottery Winner: Tampa Bay

Old
04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Bermy

vCash: 500
If they have the chance, do you think the Islanders should draft Filatov?

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I was hoping that LA would get him. Places like LA need to be good for hockey to get some attention. Places like Carolina, Tampa, Nashville, Atlanta don't matter, and it has been proven time and time again, in which those teams have great players, but the league fails to grab a strangle hold in those markets.
Yeah but they will most likely pick Doughty which is just as good imho. I doubt that a lot of people in LA know who Stamkos is anyway and Doughty with his end to end rushes may just become as much of an attraction and a fan favorite.

With Kopitar , Cammalleri and O'Sullivan already in the system they don't really Stamkos anyway. Now their transition game is just going to be sick in a few years with Johnson , Hickey and Doughty (assuming that they do pick him of course. It won't surprise me if they draft Filatov instead).

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
henri2014

Atleast Tampa can now start a new era. The post Lecavalier era.

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Mtl6

Tampa Bay needs a whole second line next year if they want to be competitive, Now that tey have Stamkos (who will probably play with Lecavalier and St-Louis) they need two more players

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Caseofcups*

Ridiculous. The league keeps rewarding failure. It should be a completely random draft to keep everybody honest.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Dark4ng3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
Tampa Bay needs a whole second line next year if they want to be competitive, Now that tey have Stamkos (who will probably play with Lecavalier and St-Louis) they need two more players
Stamkos is going to be their 2nd line center they still need at least 2 "ok" offensive wingers though.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I was hoping that LA would get him. Places like LA need to be good for hockey to get some attention. Places like Carolina, Tampa, Nashville, Atlanta don't matter, and it has been proven time and time again, in which those teams have great players, but the league fails to grab a strangle hold in those markets.
QFMFT. The big markets need to have competitive teams for the sake of our sport. LA has 14 million citizens, and they cant fill their arena, they need a big superstar and a round or two in the playoffs, and the city will be buzzing again, and with their mediatic frenzy, it could be like 1993 again. Same thing goes for New-York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Ridiculous. The league keeps rewarding failure. It should be a completely random draft to keep everybody honest.
The bottom 5 teams should all have an equal chance I think that way it would discourage tanking much more, giving the last placed team a 50/50 chance encourages tanking no doubt.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
That's my top 5 nowadays....cause it changes every day....

1-Stamkos
2-Doughty
3-Bogosian
4-Pietrangelo
5-Filatov

Talentwise, pretty easy to say that Filatov is the 2nd best forward out there by a mile. Ahead of Hodgson and Beach and others.

Great chance that one of Hodgson and Schenn ends up a Leaf and that would be a good day for them.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
I was dissapointed because I wanted the NYI to get him. Atlanta has Kovalchuk. Tampa has Lecavalier. Los Angeles has Kopitar. St-Louis has Eric Johnson. NYI has Okposo...
?Screw the East I wanted him to go to the Blues or Kings

Also I hope they now rebuild around him and that Lecavalier walks and signs with us next year.I can dream

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
The bottom 5 teams should all have an equal chance I think that way it would discourage tanking much more, giving the last placed team a 50/50 chance encourages tanking no doubt.
All 30 teams should have an even chance then go to the order of finish in reverse. THAT would discourage tanking.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
They have DiPietro,they have Okposo I think they should take the best available defenceman

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
They have DiPietro,they have Okposo I think they should take the best available defenceman
Honestly, the isles have weaknesses everywhere. They need to pick the best player available.

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:11 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
Bah Tampa's problem is that they cant play defense to save their lives and have no secondary scoring. I guess he will probably fix the secondary scoring problem by himself but he is at best a Richards replacement for next year and I don't expect Tampa to make a huge jump though they will be better(barring any major trades/free agent signings)
Crisis is synonymous with opportunity, if you're Bob Gainey. Bob has a lot of defensive prospects he can deal to Tampa.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Lemons

Good for Tampa, There gonna go into a giant loop again.

There goaltending has not been the same since they lost Bulin. And there struggles will continue. There defence in shambles.

I would seriously consider using St. Louis as trade bait to redo their defence/goalie

Lemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 03:33 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
All 30 teams should have an even chance then go to the order of finish in reverse. THAT would discourage tanking.
Yes and it would also end parity. The worst teams stay the worst teams and the good teams stay good. The system is fine the way it is.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:48 AM
#eleven

I think the system isn't perfectly fine as it is, the last team in the league has a too big probability to get the 1st choice. It encourages tanking. I wouldn't change the system completely, it improves parity, but I would even out the probabilities.

I would change the chances to #1 for the bottom 5 teams from
48 - 19 - 14 - 11 - 8 to something like
30 - 25 - 20 - 15 - 10
The bottom 2 still have combined 55% chances, and the bottom 3 75%.

#eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Why would vinny wanna stick around for a few years waiting and hoping they can build a contender?
He's already got a Stanley Cup ring.
Now I'm not saying he has lost the will to play.
But it's not like winning another Stanley Cup is a pressing issue in his life right now.

I'm sure he has some comfort level in Florida, and barring a thirst for the dramatic, I don't see why he would want to go to Montreal.

Grats Tampa on the Stamkos sweepstakes.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
It doesn't matter

They got rid of Richards because they have the intention to re-sign Vinny and they will pull all stops to do it. Vinny will stay in Tampa unless he himself wants out.
and apparently he wants to sign long term and finish his career there. Shame, such a good player wasted in such a crappy market. At least he's got palm trees and beaches.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote