HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM (Part II)

Old
08-14-2017, 11:12 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
This also shows Sakic's inability to recognize defensive talent before said person breaks out.
It's not just Sakic (though I don't disagree with your assertion). This inability has existed within this organization for over two decades.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2017, 08:43 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

The topic is Sakic, stay on it

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Tweaky
Solid #2

In my random wandering, I happened upon the wiki list of top NHL salaries by year. Interesting to note that Joe Sakic has the highest single year salary ever in the NHL, at $16.45M for 97-98. Twenty years ago. Given the salary cap constraints, it cannot be beaten until the team cap is $82.25M or more...a couple years from now at least.

And yet he appears to have some issues with seemly small gaps in salary in negotiations now

Tweaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2017, 11:37 AM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
In my random wandering, I happened upon the wiki list of top NHL salaries by year. Interesting to note that Joe Sakic has the highest single year salary ever in the NHL, at $16.45M for 97-98. Twenty years ago. Given the salary cap constraints, it cannot be beaten until the team cap is $82.25M or more...a couple years from now at least.

And yet he appears to have some issues with seemly small gaps in salary in negotiations now
You have to remember, that was not only an RFA offer sheet the avs matched, but that 16M includes his signing bonus. IIRC his base salary was only 2 million per year for 3 years, but also included a 15M signing bonus.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2017, 06:59 AM
Tweaky
Solid #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
You have to remember, that was not only an RFA offer sheet the avs matched, but that 16M includes his signing bonus. IIRC his base salary was only 2 million per year for 3 years, but also included a 15M signing bonus.
Oh I know. But it still stands as the highest annual payday for any NHL player ever.

That same page has a list with him sitting at 3rd all time for total NHL salary...but it stops in 2009, so that total has to have been passed up by now. It also only counts salaries from 1990 forward, as they were not disclosed prior to that.

(update, another list from Jan 2014 has him 4th, behind Jagr, Lidstrom and Pronger...and I think at least Vinny passed him since). Crosby for sure has passed him, and Weber just did thanks to his $8m signing bonus for this year. Thornton as well. Marleau will after next year. Lou will in a couple years as well. And Ovi, of course.

Crosby is the only one already contracted to pass Jagr for #1 career earnings.

Still amazes me that someone that negotiated the way he (his agent) did back then would have any kind of issues with slight overpayment of kids. Or hold grudges for stuff like signing an offer sheet. I don't think he does, but that is the perception.

Tweaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Chileiceman

If Sakic can't get Zadorov signed over a relatively minor difference in cap hit on a team with no cap trouble, then I just wouldn't know what to say anymore. Sakic is just talking about the Olympics as a ruse so that he can find blame elsewhere if he can't get Zadorov signed. If Zadorov were that intent on playing in Pyonchang he'd have already signed in the KHL.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote