HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Bring in an Offensive Co-Coach

Old
04-07-2008, 08:05 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
alot of it was rambling, that's a given, but I think he's somewhat right with his sentiments on Hitch. I never really thought much of his ability on molding guys outside of board grinders. I.E I don't know if he'll be able to give us the Brassard we almost certainly deserve, and it leads to questions about Voracek. But, I believe the counter-arguement to this is that we have no talented guys right now to orchestrate a good puck movement game. So we'll see what Hitch can do this up-and-coming season...
Probably was a bit unfair of me to the OP. I am a smartass so it's hard for me to not say something. But to honest, I couldn't get past the first couple of sentences, so I appreciate you summing it up. Plus the title just blew me away. No coach would ever go for that, nor should they. 2 chiefs? Perhaps he just meant something like an offensive coordinator in Football.

There are a lot of players that Hitch has molded on other teams. Give him a chance with these guys. Brule and Brassard really aren't good examples, at least not yet. I really wish we had some top talent that was actually ready to play in the NHL. Watching Brassard, I didn't think he was ready. Maybe he will be next year. Hitch's system is probably not youth friendly, however I think people stretch that into Hitch not being able to work with young players. I don't think that's the case at all.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
There are a lot of players that Hitch has molded on other teams. Give him a chance with these guys. Brule and Brassard really aren't good examples, at least not yet. I really wish we had some top talent that was actually ready to play in the NHL. Watching Brassard, I didn't think he was ready. Maybe he will be next year. Hitch's system is probably not youth friendly, however I think people stretch that into Hitch not being able to work with young players. I don't think that's the case at all.
Now there is an assessment that I would call well thought out, and fairly stated.

Good form, blahblah!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Probably was a bit unfair of me to the OP. I am a smartass so it's hard for me to not say something. But to honest, I couldn't get past the first couple of sentences, so I appreciate you summing it up. Plus the title just blew me away. No coach would ever go for that, nor should they. 2 chiefs? Perhaps he just meant something like an offensive coordinator in Football.

The majority of the team this season consisted of board grinders come to think of it, so we'll see what this upcoming season has for us, and I think Howsen's job will be very difficult this summer, not only does he have to get us actual skillful players, but players that fit in the "Hitch" system.

So, here's to next season, right?

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

And keep in mind there are the better part of 29 other teams trying to improve as well.

A lot of competition out there for Scott to go up against.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
The majority of the team this season consisted of board grinders come to think of it, so we'll see what this upcoming season has for us, and I think Howsen's job will be very difficult this summer, not only does he have to get us actual skillful players, but players that fit in the "Hitch" system.

Agreed.

Old
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

I'll be honest, if I'm Howson, I get the best centers I can find and the best defenseman I can find. If they don't suit "Hitch's system", that's Hitch's responsibility to get them to fit it or adjust his system to fit the talent he's given. Because, there's no guaranty Hitch or his system survive past next season if he doesn't make the playoffs. Howson has to build his team, not Hitch's. Hitch has acknowledged as much in the past stating that personnel was the decision of the GM.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
if I'm Howson, I get the best centers I can find and the best defenseman I can find. If they don't suit "Hitch's system", that's Hitch's responsibility to get them to fit it or adjust his system to fit the talent he's given.
That would be both of them doing their jobs.

Old
04-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Stiffler's Mom

Blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Sorry about the wall of text initiating the thread. I am not suggesting to fire Hitch. I just think he needs to bring an offensively talented coach to help out. Offense can be taught. Shots on goal aren't always a good indicator of offense, its' just an indicator of how often you shoot the puck from anywhere. BlueJackets need coaching help and if they don't recognize that or change the way they move the puck, they will be out of the playoffs yet again. At that point, I'm sure that Hitch will be un-hitched from the CBJ.

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'll be honest, if I'm Howson, I get the best centers I can find and the best defenseman I can find. If they don't suit "Hitch's system", that's Hitch's responsibility to get them to fit it or adjust his system to fit the talent he's given. Because, there's no guaranty Hitch or his system survive past next season if he doesn't make the playoffs. Howson has to build his team, not Hitch's. Hitch has acknowledged as much in the past stating that personnel was the decision of the GM.
I knew system, and 34-36-12 is no system.

Remember when it was suggested that the players are "interchangeable" in Hitch's system ."

Hitch has dropped all that talk. His mantra this past month has been "players who want to play here." That's the new "system." Which leads me to believe that he/Howson are going to have to FIRST LAND A BIG FISH to ATTRACT other players who want to play here.

How will they do that? = Big Bucks=
I predict the first contract will be a whopper.
"The UFA signing heard round the NHL."

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Remember when it was suggested that the players are "interchangeable" in Hitch's system ."
To a certain extent they are. However, no one was saying replace Modin with Chimera for the entire season and expect the same production. The concept of context is completely and totally lost on you.

We had players playing out of posistion all year and were still in contention come March. People can laugh and be as narrow minded as they want, but on most nights this team was in it and had a chance to win, despite the roster. It was far more then jokers like GG and DM were able to do with this team.

The games played out a lot like I expected them to. What I didn't expect was guys like Vyborny and Feds getting beat like rookies and costing us wins. I didn't expect us to fold as much as we did in the 3rd period, tied or with a lead. Some of this was the mental toughness of the team.

Old
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
Sorry about the wall of text initiating the thread. I am not suggesting to fire Hitch. I just think he needs to bring an offensively talented coach to help out. Offense can be taught. Shots on goal aren't always a good indicator of offense, its' just an indicator of how often you shoot the puck from anywhere. BlueJackets need coaching help and if they don't recognize that or change the way they move the puck, they will be out of the playoffs yet again. At that point, I'm sure that Hitch will be un-hitched from the CBJ.
Were you at practice to see what Hitch and the coaching staff were working on with the players?

You make some decent points, but sometimes you get to a point where players simply aren't willing or able to do what you are coaching them to do.

Not saying some of our problems aren't coaching related, but simply stating that if your not with the team day in and day out you aren't likely to be aware of what's being coached. Watching our 5-3, I can safely say that isn't what's being practiced.

Old
04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Gomez22

I've just only skimmed a few posts here, but for anyone's info.....

I called in to the Coach's Show on 1460thesuck earlier this season and asked Hitch about the possibility of bringing in a 'shooting coach' since our team seems to miss the net more than we hit it. Hitch seemed totally against the idea... said he "didn't think a shooting coach would help the team and might actually be a distraction."

Sounded to me like he dismissed the idea rather quickly and was a little more against it than I would have thought with all the pucks that strike the glass behind the nets at the 'Nat.

I'm not hating here or anything.... he's the coach and there's no question that he knows more about hockey than everyone here put together, but he seemed very closed-mided to the subject, but that could just be how I inferred his answer to the question.

Gomez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

And if you want an "offensive co-coach," start with a guy that's competent enough to coach our power play. The more I think about it, having a "special teams coach" doesn't make much sense either.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the current structure of our coaching staff, why not have an offensive coordinator (who also handles the power play), a defensive coordinator (who also handles the PK) and goaltending coach. Don't put both the PP and the PK on the same guy.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And if you want an "offensive co-coach," start with a guy that's competent enough to coach our power play. The more I think about it, having a "special teams coach" doesn't make much sense either.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the current structure of our coaching staff, why not have an offensive coordinator (who also handles the power play), a defensive coordinator (who also handles the PK) and goaltending coach. Don't put both the PP and the PK on the same guy.
I thought Agnew's focus was the PP and Noel's was the PK?

Old
04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Inquiring Minds

re: Hitch not being able to coach young guys.

IIRC, earlier this season there was a story about Hitch and Z, and how Hitch changed his approach with Nick after he found out that Modano credited a turning point in his career to when Hitch relaxed and let him play a little looser. I may have some of the specifics wrong, but I distinctly remember Coach acknowledging that some players require a different relationship & style.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
BluejacketNut

My problem with Hitch is that he never takes responsibility. Every loss this year was the players fault. In past years, when we saw a lackluster performance, in which we saw PLENTY of the same type this year, and DM or GG would come out saying the players didnt compete, it was always "DM/GG never take responsibility, its the coaches job to get them ready to play and its just an excuse". Not once this year did I hear anything from Hitch saying "he didnt have them prepared", it was always "our vets didnt come ready to play".

Im not saying fire Hitch either, but I saw plenty of games where this team was not ready to play, and that does fall on the coaches shoulders. I know, I know, they're professionals, they should have to be motivated", but the last time I checked, they were human also.

So im not willing to give him all mighty praise.....he won in a non salary cap era, he hasnt really won in a salary cap world yet. And if Team Canada think's he's good enough to coach them...my god, look at the team he'll be coaching, any mite league coach can probably "coach" that team to gold.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
re: Hitch not being able to coach young guys.

IIRC, earlier this season there was a story about Hitch and Z, and how Hitch changed his approach with Nick after he found out that Modano credited a turning point in his career to when Hitch relaxed and let him play a little looser. I may have some of the specifics wrong, but I distinctly remember Coach acknowledging that some players require a different relationship & style.
Yes there was a story about how Hitch and how he started to trust Zherdev more. I don't remember anything about Modano and how Hitch let him play "looser". Could have been there, I just don't remember it.

But yes, Hitch said he had to change his coaching style with Zherdev.

Old
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Skraut

JF is pretty offensive, hire him...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 12:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My problem with Hitch is that he never takes responsibility. Every loss this year was the players fault. In past years, when we saw a lackluster performance, in which we saw PLENTY of the same type this year, and DM or GG would come out saying the players didnt compete, it was always "DM/GG never take responsibility, its the coaches job to get them ready to play and its just an excuse". Not once this year did I hear anything from Hitch saying "he didnt have them prepared", it was always "our vets didnt come ready to play"..
This isn't exactly uncommon in sports, or in real life for that matter. However, in last weeks show when asked to evaluate himself, he admitted he mishandled Norrena. If you listen to his interviews, you can pick out where he places things on his shoulders and where he puts things on Howson's and on the players.

The one thing that the players did admit is that they have never been more prepared for games then what they were this year. I doubt Hitch slacked on preparing the team. Whether he's a great/good/bad motivator, I've never seen him in the locker room, so I have no idea.

Old
04-08-2008, 12:59 PM
BluejacketNut

But do you really think a player is going to come out and say "we weren't prepared for the game"? My point is saying, when it was DM/GG, it was the coaches fault/making excuses, and when you had the same type of losing with Hitch, it was always the players fault.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 01:33 PM
orangebarrelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

<CLIP>
How will they do that? = Big Bucks=
I predict the first contract will be a whopper.
"The UFA signing heard round the NHL."
Like Adam Foote?

orangebarrelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 01:42 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebarrelman View Post
Like Adam Foote?
...at least you didn't say "like Sergei Fedorov"

The thing with Foote is that they didn't build a better roster around him.
ie...they tried to cheap it out.

This jives with the report at the trade deadline that said Footer was UNHAPPY that the franchise wasn't fulfilling a promise made to him about the roster.

And Skraut....

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote