HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovechkin's #1s this season

Old
04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
My favorite Ovechkin stat: since he came into the league he has more 10 or more shot games (18) than the next three guys combined.
that's a Great stat. any idea where it comes from? i'd love to second-source it.

LannysStach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
Has anyone noticed that Crosby's PPG this season was almost identical to Ovechkin's? And that he outplayed him last year?

Now, I hate that everything about these two guys becomes Crosby vs Ovechkin (I, personally, can enjoy watching them both without feeling its taking away from the other) but to say stuff like 'Ovechkin dominated like no one since Lemieux' and 'Ovechkin is clearly the better player now' and 'Crosby is really going to have to play hard next year to catch up' (paraphrasing from this thread) is pretty silly. All he did this season (so far) that Crosby didn't was stay healthy.
yeah, i disagreed with that statement too, but people have a tendancy to get lost in the present and lose perspective. Not a terrible thing, because obviously AO was wowing people every night this season and he more than deserves the recognition, but I bet if Crosby comes back to score 40/120 next season and AO falls off a bit, all the objective fans are going to be back to anointing one over the other

As a Pens fan and Crosby devotee, I still love AO and can appreciate what he does in games and for the game. But to some people, its one or the other, and if they like one the other is dirt. Sad, but surely a bi-product of the rivalry between these two teams

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
JFA87-66-99

Ovechkin-Art Ross,Hart,Rocket Richard,Lester B. Pearson,1st Team All-Star
Crosby-Art Ros,Hart,Lester B. Pearson, 1st Team All-Star all at 19 years old.

Both of these players are sick and its pretty amazing to think that these guys careers are just getting started. Maybe they'll meet in the Playoffs

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Ovechkin-Art Ross,Hart,Rocket Richard,Lester B. Pearson,1st Team All-Star
Crosby-Art Ros,Hart,Lester B. Pearson, 1st Team All-Star all at 19 years old.

Both of these players are sick and its pretty amazing to think that these guys careers are just getting started. Maybe they'll meet in the Playoffs
If both teams get through the first round, they definatly will.

Or more accuratly, they and their teams will meet each other. Its 21 guys vs 21 other guys.

Last edited by octopi: 04-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:46 AM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach View Post
that's a Great stat. any idea where it comes from? i'd love to second-source it.
About a month old, but I got it wrong. It's actually more than the next four players combined (Ovy is up to 18). Snap!

Alex Ovechkin had two goals (including the game-winner at 18:06 of the third period) and 11 shots on goal in the Capitals' 3-2 win over the Flames. It was the 17th time that Ovechkin had 10-or-more shots on goal in a game in his three seasons in the NHL. That matches the number of double-digit-shot games over the last three seasons by the next four players on the list combined: Olli Jokinen (5), Jaromir Jagr (4), Ilya Kovalchuk (4) and Mats Sundin (4).

Last edited by cleaver: 04-09-2008 at 10:55 AM.
cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
JWells16

Well, it took all of 5 minutes before Muscle Bob turned it into a Crosby v Ovechkin thread...

Back the the point though... man is he amazing. I hope AO puts up 80 goals in a season and Crosby gets 100 assists.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
Your inferiority complex is beyond astounding
Quote:
How do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16
Well, it took all of 5 minutes before Muscle Bob turned it into a Crosby v Ovechkin thread...
That's the only way to make this thread hot. Or do you like reading 'Yeah, Ovechkin is the man! Ovechkin rules! Wow, 65 goals!' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777

AO is the better player. Time to man up.
But.... but Crosby has the best PPG in the league! If not the injure he would have scored 112 points!

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that Crosby's PPG this season was almost identical to Ovechkin's? And that he outplayed him last year?
Forsberg > Crosby

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
How do you know?

That's the only way to make this thread hot. Or do you like reading 'Yeah, Ovechkin is the man! Ovechkin rules! Wow, 65 goals!' ?

But.... but Crosby has the best PPG in the league! If not the injure he would have scored 112 points!
Or he would have scored 99. There's no way to be sure.

When the thread is titled, "Ovechkin's #1's this season" I do want to hear things about Ovechkin. Ovechkin's #1's this season have aboslutely nothing to do with Crosby.

Give credit where credit is due. Ovechkin dominated this season.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
LannysStach
Thou shall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
About a month old, but I got it wrong. It's actually more than the next four players combined (Ovy is up to 18). Snap!
thanks for the source -- and even sweeter number! :-)

duly noted and updated.

Old
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Ali View Post
Ovechkin is officially the second coming of Christ.
Not really... nor was it the best season ever. But as first post explains in a series of stats... it was an amazing season... that saw AO at his best later in the season where almost everygame the Caps played was close to do or die to make the playoffs.

This is really a phenominal season... a clutch season... an amaizngly productive season that has real definable team success for Ovechkin. Hopefully he can have a reall good playoffs and make this season even more meaningful.

I love Ovechkin's game.. many on these boards seem to want to overmagnify this season as something bigger all-time than it is. But it is magnificent none-the-less. AO was the best player and the MVP of the regualr season almost undebatedly.

Taking those 65 goals to mean it was the best ever goal scoring season or 2nd or 3rd best is missing the point.. he was the best THIS season.. ANd not by just a bit...

Most of the time measuring a season in all-time greatness perspective is best done a decade or so later. Right now.. AO had an amazing season.. he was the best forward and almost certainly the best player... now he has some playoffs to deal with.. to perhaps increase the greatness of this already great season.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Oilers1*

Quote:
You didn't "paraphrase" what i said above: that I hope somebody can write this about Crosby next year. Heck, I'll write it. He's fantastic, amazing, tremendous. Maybe he's the Gretzky and Ovie is the Lemieux? who knows, who cares? They're both great.

But Crosby has never put up a league-dominating performance like Ovie did this year. Let's give the guy credit -- we haven't seen this for a long time -- and he's on an "8th place" team for gosh sakes! It's Sid's turn to take it back next year. But this is a heckuva "Top this."

And Lanny willing, the two will meet in the second round!
Not necessarily quoting you, just some of the other comments in this thread. Actually, my attitude is alot like yours; they are both a blast to watch. Like someone else said, I don't know why some people have to run one down vs. the other. I mean, I'm a huge Crosby fan. I'm from Halifax and remember seeing his picture in the sports page when he was 12 or something. I saw him play as a 14 year-old, then in Major Junior, and hopefully one day in the NHL. And, personally, I would take him over Ovechkin. To me, a player that can turn the other four players on the ice into goal-scorers is better than the goal-scorer. But that doesn't mean I don't love watching Ovechkin as well.

But I do disagree when you say that Crosby has never dominated the league like Ovechkin. I'll put his 120 points in 05-06 up against OV's 06-07 65 goals.

Fun argument to have, though, regardless of your personal opinion.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Or he would have scored 99. There's no way to be sure.
Or 120, hehe

Quote:
When the thread is titled, "Ovechkin's #1's this season" I do want to hear things about Ovechkin. Ovechkin's #1's this season have aboslutely nothing to do with Crosby.

Give credit where credit is due. Ovechkin dominated this season.
The fact that Ovechkin is the first means he outscored other players including Crosby. So there is a place for this discussion.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Moose24x

Send a message via AIM to Moose24x
Quote:

Now, I hate that everything about these two guys becomes Crosby vs Ovechkin (I, personally, can enjoy watching them both without feeling its taking away from the other) but to say stuff like 'Ovechkin dominated like no one since Lemieux' and 'Ovechkin is clearly the better player now' and 'Crosby is really going to have to play hard next year to catch up' (paraphrasing from this thread) is pretty silly. All he did this season (so far) that Crosby didn't was stay healthy.
If they're going to put up roughly the same points per season (give or take ~10 each year) than I'll take the guy whose gonna score 60+ goals and throw 220 hits, while ranking 5th in +/- on a basement team and 8th in takeaways in the NHL. Sid was on pace for the same number of points but less than 50 goals and less than 100 hits. Equal points don't make equal talents - Ovechkin dominated across the board. Sid doesn't.

Edit: And just as an aside, Crosby's P/PG this year is 1.36. Ovie's was 1.37. If points are all that matters, Ovie still finishes first with Sid just behind. If the people with blinders on will take a look at more of the intangibles, like Ovie leading a team that was dead last in December to 3rd in the East, being 5th in the NHL in +/- on a team that spent half the year in the gutter, or being 9th in the entire league in hits WHILE leading it in points, it would be clear that he did indeed dominate, in a way which Crosby hasn't.

Last edited by Moose24x: 04-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Moose24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Moose24x

Send a message via AIM to Moose24x
Quote:

But I do disagree when you say that Crosby has never dominated the league like Ovechkin. I'll put his 120 points in 05-06 up against OV's 06-07 65 goals.
I feel fairly confident that ANY NHL coach or GM would choose:

65 Goals - 112 points - 220 hits - +28 (on a team that HE dragged into the playoffs)

Over

36 goals - 120 points - 55 hits - +10 (on a playoff team)

Every day and twice on days that end in "y".

Edit: Those are the real stats.

Last edited by Moose24x: 04-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Moose24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Synergy27

All of that and I somehow managed to only finish third in my fantasy league. How'd I pull that off?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
Or 120, hehe

The fact that Ovechkin is the first means he outscored other players including Crosby. So there is a place for this discussion.
He also outscored Colton Orr. Why not bring him up?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
frag2

One also has to consider who does AO get to play with versus who Crosby does.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Crosby (not because of the whole rivalry issue or his talent, but more of his whiny personality and dives), but its not difficult to see my point. Sure AO has Semin, but who does Crosby have? Malkin, Sykora, and company.....many of them proven finishers. Backstrom for the Caps is good, but thats another point; he is talented but more of a product of AO (kind of like comparing Kane to Backstrom....Backstrom had AO....Kane had ??)

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
To me, Sakic's 118 point season in 2000-1 is probably the best I've seen from a forward since the Lemieux era.
Even though Jagr won the Art Ross on a less stacked team that season?

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Quote:
The first team in NHL history to be in last place at the midway point of the season to then win their Division -- just 3 months from the deepest hole to the top of the heap.
:
Is that what they're calling the South East division now?
I kid, I kid!
And yes, Ovechkin is my favourite player in the NHL.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What does it matter? Every coach would still take the first one, regardless of age.
What matters is that every coach wouldn't automatically take Ovechkin over Crosby at this point.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Dicky113

Ovechkin is great, but Crosby is better. If Crosby had of stayed healthy he would have beaten Ovechkin in points by a wide margin.

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Dicky113

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
One also has to consider who does AO get to play with versus who Crosby does.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Crosby (not because of the whole rivalry issue or his talent, but more of his whiny personality and dives), but its not difficult to see my point. Sure AO has Semin, but who does Crosby have? Malkin, Sykora, and company.....many of them proven finishers. Backstrom for the Caps is good, but thats another point; he is talented but more of a product of AO (kind of like comparing Kane to Backstrom....Backstrom had AO....Kane had ??)
completely false. The passes that Backstrom has been sending to Ovechkin for the second half of the season, only about 2 or 3 other guys in the league can make. It is not a coincidence that Ovechkin exploded when Backstrom got comfortable and found his game.

Old
04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
LannysStach
Thou shall

what's really funny is that this glass-jumping league-leading lunatic is gonna be in the playoffs!!!

we've seen how hyped he is even when a teammate scores in the regular season.

what is this possessed freak of nature going to do when he scores his first 3rd period playoff goal?

he's gonna bust right thru the frickin glass into the crowd!

Old
04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Dicky113

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What does it matter? Every coach would still take the first one, regardless of age.
This is news to me, I'm pretty sure Crosby would be chosen first by most coaches even though Ovechkin had a better year this year.