HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Possible Stupid Question From The New Guy

Old
04-08-2008, 05:54 PM
BayDucks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BayDucks Send a message via MSN to BayDucks Send a message via Yahoo to BayDucks
Possible Stupid Question From The New Guy

Ok I have just started int his forum (darn nice place btw)

I rollerblade quite a bit and love Hockey but something nags me. I really want to play some roller hockey. Competetive, non-competetive, amateur, beginner I really don't don't care. I just want to play. So questions..

I have looked at the NAB website for Chicago and that is all I have found. Does anyone know anything for the Chicago area that deals in amateur roller hockey or even know some thrown-togethr clubs?

Now to give myself an assist (wow what a crap pun) I will keep this on topic. Should I find a club someday I would like to start practicing now. (here comes the dumb one)

What can I start doing short of just hanging out alone and taking my stick to an open arena. Any ideas on drills I can start doing alone?

Thanks in advance

-Kyo

BayDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Nosebleed Section

Have you played any hockey before? Ice, street?

You say you rollerblade but one thing thats uber helpful in rollerhockey is the ability to stop and transition. Get used to coming from fullspeed to stop to going back the other way. You also might want to find the type of puck leagues around you use to practice with just so you have a better feel and more comfortable.

As far as drills I dont think any specific drills will help you. Really just stickhandle practice your shot practice your skating. If you can watch any pro or semi pro rollerhockey games you can see how to play the game and stuff like that.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:38 PM
BayDucks

Send a message via AIM to BayDucks Send a message via MSN to BayDucks Send a message via Yahoo to BayDucks
Now that is awesome stuff! I can blade at some fairly nice speeds but I never thought to really learn good dead stops. I will definately try that with some handling and I thank you for your help and anyone else that may post here

Now that I think of it, it would be nice for me to spend a copious amount of time on skating and handling.

-Kyo

Old
04-08-2008, 10:40 PM
190Octane

Get a book on skating technique as well as strength training and conditioning for hockey.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:50 PM
BayDucks

Let me just say I am amazed I have answers. You guys are all helping me big time. I guess I really gotta learn how to stop quick...on blades

-Kyo

Old
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDucks View Post
Let me just say I am amazed I have answers. You guys are all helping me big time. I guess I really gotta learn how to stop quick...on blades

-Kyo
Practice, practice, practice!

That is the best advice.

Just go to open skates whenever you can. That is how 90% of us learned how to stop unless you have your own backyard rink...which again.90% of us did not have.

I can rarely remember anything when i was young..but i actually remember going to my local rink...mom waiting for me in the seats somewhere drinking coffee and me just skati8ng around trying to stop eveytime i went to a corner.

Thats what you have to do. It will get easy over time.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
stick9

I'd like to add. Skating and handling a puck or ball is great, but it will only get you so far. Things change quite a bit when you add other players into the mix.

Passing has become an underrated skill. As much as I like scoring goals....hell we all do. I get more satisfaction out of making that sweet pass.

Keep on skating and working those skills, but try to get into some pick up games so you get some game action in.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
FiveHole23

check out this website too..

http://www.sportskool.com some helpful videos... Gives you some things to think about.
Also I think, http://www.hockeyshot.com has some cool stuff to read up and think about.

Also if your looking for a league in your area ask on your boards, like the Blackhawks one(Im pretty sure most of the Hawk fans have a different forum they go to)

In Columbus there are developmental leagues which guys who have never even been on skates before are playing roller hockey. So I wouldnt really worry about "how good you are" just find a starter league.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
BayDucks

I am really impressed with this place. You guys are handling my childish ignorance with amazing ease :-p

I lvoe this forum already

ok...so since I have already bore my ignorance...how does one stop hard in rollaer blades without dying?

EDIT - Found it

http://www.hockeyplayer.com/artman/p...icle_414.shtml

Nice article for hockey stops on inline

-Kyo

Last edited by BayDucks: 04-09-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
I am really impressed with this place. You guys are handling my childish ignorance with amazing ease :-p

I lvoe this forum already

ok...so since I have already bore my ignorance...how does one stop hard in rollaer blades without dying?

-Kyo
Stopping on roller blades is really more like making an extremely sharp turn than anything else. To practice, keep one foot in place (use as a pivot point) and kind of spin around in a circle with the other blade. That is the part of the wheels (the inside) that you will need to get comfortable on to stop efficiently.

Once you're feeling brave enough, start skating and then making progressively tighter and tighter turns. Do it slowly at first, but build up speed as you feel more comfortable. You'll find that once you start making really sharp turns, your skates will kind of slide out and you'll probably fall. Your eventual goal is to be able to control this slide. It's similar to a hockey stop on ice, but the set-up is different for me at least.

I hope that makes some sense.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
BayDucks

Tons of sense...all this help and you may see me in the NHL some day. And by that I mean I will be in a rink by myself pretending I play in the NHL

-Kyo

Old
04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Nosebleed Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Stopping on roller blades is really more like making an extremely sharp turn than anything else. To practice, keep one foot in place (use as a pivot point) and kind of spin around in a circle with the other blade. That is the part of the wheels (the inside) that you will need to get comfortable on to stop efficiently.

Once you're feeling brave enough, start skating and then making progressively tighter and tighter turns. Do it slowly at first, but build up speed as you feel more comfortable. You'll find that once you start making really sharp turns, your skates will kind of slide out and you'll probably fall. Your eventual goal is to be able to control this slide. It's similar to a hockey stop on ice, but the set-up is different for me at least.

I hope that makes some sense.

This guys explanation is money. Exactly how I learned you can also do a bit of a foot drag with your trailing foot to slow yourself down when your just starting. Then I just do a sharp "c cut" with my outside skate.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Tons of sense...all this help and you may see me in the NHL some day. And by that I mean I will be in a rink by myself pretending I play in the NHL

-Kyo
I did that for a while, but I didn't improve much until I started playing. Try to find a relaxed, non-competitive group to play pickup with regularly. Once a month won't cut it, you need to play at least once a week.

If you're anything like me you will absolutely suck at first, but a year later I'm now middle of the pack in the group I play with. I hope that in another year I'll be ready to join a competitive league.

Moral of the story: Start playing ASAP. You will suck, but you will improve quickly.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
190Octane

Make sure you strengthen your legs and work on your balance before you start playing though... I just sprained my ankle and broke my leg and I've been playing for 14 years so those muscles are developed. You want to do hockey specific exercises at the gym to get your legs strong.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote