HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Yo execwrite!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 06:55 PM

vCash: 500
Yo execwrite!!!!

Where you been?

Old
05-03-2004, 09:10 PM
purple_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210

Where you been?
210 ---- we need your comments on the Cats. What is going on in Worcester? they are now down 3-0 and things do not look good. Are they playing pooly or is Hatford simply that much better?

Would love to read your comments about the series and the players.

Old
05-04-2004, 04:44 PM

The Cats are not showing up for a lot of their playoff games...a lot of these guys have taken a huge step backwards in the last couple weeks.

I'll have more later when I can type about it without resorting to the word "suck"

Old
05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
The Cats are not showing up for a lot of their playoff games...a lot of these guys have taken a huge step backwards in the last couple weeks.

I'll have more later when I can type about it without resorting to the word "suck"

How about "blow", "reek", "stink", or anything else you'd find in a thesaurus?

05-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Those are (unfortunately) good words too...

Old
05-07-2004, 07:46 PM
ProfessorK

Send a message via Yahoo to ProfessorK
Just out of curiosity, who stunk it up most, in your opinion??? Was it the young players (Glumac, Sejna, Byrne, McClement) or the veterans (Virtue, Brimanis)?

Don't you just hate it to see a team not play up to where you know they can? Gee...haven't we heard this before?

The Professor

Old
05-08-2004, 07:18 AM

Byrne and Evans both had bad playoffs...Virtue and Brimanis were outstanding.

I posted a story about Virtue on another board (don't remember which)....I'll repost it here when I find it.

Old
05-08-2004, 07:21 AM

(Should have known to check the BNF first )

Great story about Virtue...he's playing every other shift. In the 2nd period of game 2 he had played about 90 seconds straight when the IceCats iced the puck. Virtue skated over to the bench before the whistle and sat down right in front of the stick rack (which is on the "offensive" side of the bench for that period). The Cats then wait for Hartford to put out a line and then send out their's--and low and behold out comes Virtue, only he's carrying a silver stick (all of Virtue's are black).

Suddenly he turns to the ref and then skates back to the Worcester bench...turns out "his" stick is broken.

Even with the ref standing there it takes him at least 20 seconds to get one he liked (which I'm betting was the same one he'd just gotten rid of to grab the broken stick) and he skates back over to the face-off at a pace that would make Reed Low look speedy...Virtue got almost a full minute's rest and no time came off the clock...gotta love how the vets can play the system in the AHL.

Old
05-08-2004, 10:14 PM
purple_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Byrne and Evans both had bad playoffs...Virtue and Brimanis were outstanding.

I posted a story about Virtue on another board (don't remember which)....I'll repost it here when I find it.
I haven't seen your story on Virtue but I think he was quite good. Brimanis was fair, but not outstanding. If you look at the stats more closely you may come to a different conclusion ..... Brimanis was a minus-7 and had only ONE point (hardly an outstanding effort over 10 games for a veteran. I am not blaming him, but that just doesn't win playoff games!!!!!) ; MacKenzie a minus-6 and had 2 points, LaFlemme a minus-2 and had NO points, Vurtue a minus-4 and had 5 points, Byrne was a even -0 and he had 2 goals and 2 assists for 4 points; more than anyone but Pollak and Virtue. ..... To say Byrne was bad is simply inaccurate; he was definitely one of the better players in the playoffs for the Cats.... He had the best plus/minus over the final 20 games and the playoffs than anyone on the team, in addition to getting more points than any defenseman over that period! .... For some reason Granato seemed to favor MacKenzie, but he continued to make more and more mistakes as the season rolled on.... LaFlemme and Scheffelmaier really continued to struggle as well...

Evans did struggle a bit but no worse than Brown, McClemment,Panzer, Poll or Pellerin.. There was equal blame to be spread around..

The top prospects for the future would be Glumac, Byrne and McClemment with Pohl on the edge.

Just my 2 cents.

Here are the playoff stats:
http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...2&seasonid=407

Last edited by purple_heart: 05-08-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old
05-09-2004, 06:47 AM

Stats never tell the whole story...and by your post I can tell you didn't see any of the games.

The Cats were 1-4 on home ice and were shut out there 3 times...at times there was literally 3 players having great games and the rest just skating around. Their only home win was a 6-1 series clinching win where the Monarchs were the team to not show up. It was the only game where they outplayed the opposition.

If you'd read the news articles you'd have seen quotes by players saying that they knew they were having issues and needed to pick it up. You'd also have read Bill Ballou questioning why this franchise is so consistantly terrible in the post season.

Byrne's play on the ice during the playoffs was nothing short of terrible, and his mistakes cost the IceCats game 3 vs Hartford. And I'm the only one that thought that--Granato benched him for the rest of game 3 after his turnover.

Unfortunately Granato couldn't bench the whole team....

Old
05-10-2004, 06:29 AM
purple_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Stats never tell the whole story...and by your post I can tell you didn't see any of the games.

Byrne's play on the ice during the playoffs was nothing short of terrible, and his mistakes cost the IceCats game 3 vs Hartford. And I'm the only one that thought that--Granato benched him for the rest of game 3 after his turnover.

Unfortunately Granato couldn't bench the whole team....

First of all, thanks for the reply and I did see a number of the games .... Normally I agree with many of your opinions but I have to disagree of your assessment of Brimanis' performance in the playoffs. ..He is a veteran and vets are expected to lead the younger guys ....that's why they are there. ..He had the WORST plus/minus on the team and had a mere ONE point in 10 games! That just does not cut it. To call his performance "outstanding" and others "bad' is simply inaccurate. Did the Bruins blame the vet Thornton or the rookie Bergerin for their demise? -- Thornton!

I agree there were many who did not show-up. How about Laflemme and Scheff? Laflemme has played his last game for the Cats and maybe Scheff too. Same for Pollak and Coleman and perhaps Virtue.

Evans was certainly one of the best players along with Glumac all season and did falter a bit in the playoffs, but so did Pohl, Panzer, Pellerin, SENJA, Brown and Ready.

Btw, you said Byrne was benched in game 3 and cost them the game... He was a minus-1 (as was Brimanis) and Virtue was a minus-3 in that game. To blame Byrne is foolish. ...One question, if Virtue or Brimanis had made that turnover (on the PP) would either have been benched ---absolutely NOT...It was Brimanis and MacKenzie on the ice for the OT goals in games 3 and 4!!! Byrne was EVEN for the playoffs --Brimanis a minus-7 and Byrne had 2 and 2 for 4 points ---Brimanis ONE point .....Stats do matter; that's why they keep them!!!!!!

BTW, I thought Brimanis had a good season and I hope he comes back, but his playoff performance was NOT OUTSTANDING in my opinion ...

Have a great summer.

Old
05-10-2004, 06:41 PM

Which games did you see?

Closed Thread