HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

You think Gainey is sweating a tad over Huet?

Old
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Bob Gainey's sweat could cure cancer, unfortunately he never sweats.

I don't think he's overly concerned with it at all, he knew damn well when he made the trade this would be the potential outcome of it.

IMO, in pressure situations Price will out duel Huet any day of the week.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I mean... if we have to play the Caps at some point.. that would be very ... uncomfortable knowing he gave Huet to Washington for nothing... or next to nothing..

He could very well end his own playoff run by a panic trade at the deadline.
Please, be serious, we obtained the value of a late 1st rounder this year, this isnt nothing.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
When this thread started I would've bet 100 bucks that there would be no Cortez mention, but here we are. That's why I keep coming back, you never know what you're going to get.
Everything I know about Cortez I learned from The Hunt for Red October.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
I mean... if we have to play the Caps at some point.. that would be very ... uncomfortable knowing he gave Huet to Washington for nothing... or next to nothing..

Why would he... The Caps arent making it past Philly anyway.... Ovechkin will be a non factor IMO

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Please, be serious, we obtained the value of a late 1st rounder this year, this isnt nothing.
Look at the Caps record... I think a 2nd round pick next year is very little for the services of Huet.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Look at the Caps record... I think a 2nd round pick next year is very little for the services of Huet.
Its Anaheim's second... Which is actually even a worse scenerio..

Old
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
dutchy29

I think that if Huet @ his best faces Price @ his best, Price is a better goalie.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
I think that if Huet @ his best faces Price @ his best, Price is a better goalie.
Well we know Price raises his game when it matters, or atleast he has all thoughout his junior career & in Hamilton.

Huet folded like a tent against Toronto last year, so... Yeah.

Old
04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
m00ks

Gainey sweat?

At the time, I'm pretty sure he calculated the risks of Washington facing Montreal in the post-season and saw that it was low. Relatively speaking, it still is. Washington has to eliminate us in the playoffs for him to take heat. Even at that, things somehow, someway, always works out for Gainey and he shoves crow back in our throats when we least suspect it (like winning the Cup or Huet massively choking the following year ).

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
lol ... wow..not much for a guy who is bringing all the playoff revenue to Washington.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

We can't faceoff till the Conference final, so I think we're not facing Huet.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
We can't faceoff till the Conference final, so I think we're not facing Huet.
But meanwhile Huet played down the stretch against many teams EXCEPT Montreal, so by beating them, he was actually helping us. I believe this is why Gainey was so set on trading Cristobal to Washington and not moving him to another team, even if he could get an extra 6th round pick.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

It was far from a panic trade. He was clearing room for a goaltender he sees as offering the Habs the most hope of going far. How many playoff games has Huet won? The only 2 were against Carolina at a time Gerber was shaky. Besides, how do you know the Caps will survive the 1st round?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
When this thread started I would've bet 100 bucks that there would be no Cortez mention, but here we are. That's why I keep coming back, you never know what you're going to get.
Tariq Ibn Ziyad did the same thing in Andalousia (Southern Spain), during the 8th century AD. I hope that history repeats itself...

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Captain Coach
No Homers

Not for 1 second.

Captain Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
The Habs could not continue with Huet and Price sharing the goaltending. Price really came into his own after the trade, with a 12-3 record and 2 shutouts. Besides, how do you the Caps won't have a better record than Anaheim by the time of the '09 draft? Do you expect Selanne, Niedermayer, and Schneider to still be around?

Old
04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs could not continue with Huet and Price sharing the goaltending. Price really came into his own after the trade, with a 12-3 record and 2 shutouts.
Thank you for that history lesson, I have been hiding under a rock since the deadline.

I am quite aware why everything happened, it all worked out for the best.

Old
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Miller Time

I don't know about panic, but given the timing of the trade (very late on deadline day) I'd LOVE to know what was going on behind the scenes in making this trade happen.

basically, a few scenarios pop up:
- Washington was very interested, and he was waiting for their price to go up
- Washington was interested in him AND someone else, and was waiting for the price to drop
- He had more than one team interested, and was waiting for the highest bidder (though considering that no other impact goalies got moved, and all we got was a 2nd, I doubt this one)

it is quite possible that he made up his mind to go with Price, and "panicked" in the sense that he moved Huet virtually regardless of return/potential impact (Huet stepping up for washington and making them one of the hotest teams heading into the playoffs) because he was determined to let Price take over #1 asap.

The fact of the matter is that we gave a conference rival a huge boost down the stretch for a 2nd pick in '09. IF he wanted Price to play without a vet behind him (which people over-sell WAY too much... from all accounts, Huet was an absolute professional about it, and if Price's ego is so fragile that he doesn't have the **lls to hang on to #1 status given to him (note that he was fine with Danis behind him last year, and was fine taking and running with the World Juniors spot), than he ain't the future superstar we all know he's going to be)

It may or may not come back to bite us directly, I sure as hell hope it doesn't, but if it does, Gainey will certainly avoid the critiscism he deserves on that move (cuz even at teh deadline, the team was clearly young, succesfull and stocked for the future... at this point even a first round collapse won't affect his worship status).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
When he arrived in the America, Cortez burnt his ships in order to motivate his troops as they could no longer back down from their mission. I see the Huet trade as more or less the same thing; Gainey removed Price safety net, and in the process motivated him to deserve his job as a starter. I'm not saying it wasn't a risky strategy, nor that it could have worked with any other player, but that's how I see it.

What do mean by America? Central America?

Besides, his Conquistadors were in no danger because they had overwhelming firepower to use against token opposition.

Old
04-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Montrealer

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 06:18 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Well we know Price raises his game when it matters, or atleast he has all thoughout his junior career & in Hamilton.

Huet folded like a tent against Toronto last year, so... Yeah.
Be honest please. Huet was just back from an injury when he played that game in Toronto. Carbo just had chosen the wrong goalie for the game.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
You mean what Minny got for Roloson. And that was 2 years ago. The market return for goalies was set by Bryzgalov when he was claimed off waivers.
No. I mean the Oilers, this year.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 06:25 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Be honest please. Huet was just back from an injury when he played that game in Toronto. Carbo just had chosen the wrong goalie for the game.
I agree.. I still don't think Huet is a clutch goalie what so ever.. His OT goal by Stillman from the blueline in Game 6 will be forever imprinted in my mind.

I like Huet, he is a great goalie.. I just don't trust him in big game situations.

Old
04-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I can agree with that.... and I was against the trade at the time... You know what though I've thought about it quite a bit.

What money, must win game, has Huet ever won??

Even when we made the playoffs in 06, Huet folded and we lost a big lead to the Devils (coulda been rags, but thats besides the point).... We then needed help to get in the playoffs...

I don't blame the 06 series on him, cause flat out we didn't score enough goals... but lets just look at one individual game... Game 2. We had a big lead and a chance to take a commanding lead in the series. Huet didn't make the big save we needed in regulation and let the Canes get that game to OT. It never should've gotten that far. Yes we won, but it is also a bad sign.

This year Every time we had a chance to take over first in the division/conference Huet didn't come to play.

I think Price has shown much more in Money Games. Semi-Final/Final of the WJC. The game with Ottawa last week.... The games against Jersey down the stretch (4-0 and the 2-1).... the Calder Cup. Price makes me calm in net... Huet doesn't.

I always thought we should start Price for the playoffs and keep Huet as the number 2 for insurance. However, I now see what Gainey saw. Price would never be a true number 1 as long as Huet was here. When given the reigns he took his game to another level. That wouldn't happen if Huet was around.

This trade was as much about clearing a path for Price as it was about what we got back for Huet. Sure I would've loved more than a 2nd rounder, but it just was not available.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

we can't play Huet before the conference finals.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote