HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You think Gainey is sweating a tad over Huet?

Old
04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Montreal IMO would rip Huet to shreds, every single player knows his weaknesses.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I can agree with that.... and I was against the trade at the time... You know what though I've thought about it quite a bit.

What money, must win game, has Huet ever won??

Even when we made the playoffs in 06, Huet folded and we lost a big lead to the Devils (coulda been rags, but thats besides the point).... We then needed help to get in the playoffs...

I don't blame the 06 series on him, cause flat out we didn't score enough goals... but lets just look at one individual game... Game 2. We had a big lead and a chance to take a commanding lead in the series. Huet didn't make the big save we needed in regulation and let the Canes get that game to OT. It never should've gotten that far. Yes we won, but it is also a bad sign.

This year Every time we had a chance to take over first in the division/conference Huet didn't come to play.

I think Price has shown much more in Money Games. Semi-Final/Final of the WJC. The game with Ottawa last week.... The games against Jersey down the stretch (4-0 and the 2-1).... the Calder Cup. Price makes me calm in net... Huet doesn't.

I always thought we should start Price for the playoffs and keep Huet as the number 2 for insurance. However, I now see what Gainey saw. Price would never be a true number 1 as long as Huet was here. When given the reigns he took his game to another level. That wouldn't happen if Huet was around.

This trade was as much about clearing a path for Price as it was about what we got back for Huet. Sure I would've loved more than a 2nd rounder, but it just was not available.
I totally agree with this. I was a little perplexed with the trade as well, though I understood some of Gainey's thoughts behind it.

It took me a few days to decide whether I liked it or not.

I started to like the trade as I came to similar conclusions as you did - plus seeing the way Price responded to the move more than sealed the deal.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 09:35 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Look at the Caps record... I think a 2nd round pick next year is very little for the services of Huet.
So? what does it prove about Huet's value? A 2nd in 2009 is a big price for Huet, lets talk about it in 5 years.

Quote:
lol ... wow..not much for a guy who is bringing all the playoff revenue to Washington.
Way to think short term.

For all care, I can predict Huet will be retired or irrelevant in 5 years while we will be enjoying the spoils of a 1st round quality young man(considering the quality of the 2009 draft) for more than 7 years.

Last edited by SOLR: 04-09-2008 at 09:40 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
So? what does it prove about Huet's value? A 2nd in 2009 is a big price for Huet, lets talk about it in 5 years.

Way to think short term.

For all care, I can predict Huet will be retired or irrelevant in 5 years while we will be enjoying the spoils of a 1st round quality young man(considering the quality of the 2009 draft) for more than 7 years.
Huet over the next four years makes no difference.... He was UFA and gone in the summer anyway..... Thats why it doesn't matter.

Huet will get minimum 4 million per year and 4 years.... No way Gainey was doing that with Price knocking on the door. He was gone, so you can only evaluate his play in this years season past the trade deadline and playoffs. Whether or not Washington resigns him is irrelevant.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Montreal IMO would rip Huet to shreds, every single player knows his weaknesses.
I even expect Philadelphia to do that

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
No. I mean the Oilers, this year.
Roloson still plays for the Oilers, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Habs

Funny how this turned into a "Huet Sucks" thread. I still think Washington got an incredible deal for a number one goaltender, that could come back to haunt us.

I never said it was a bad move to move Huet, just an odd place to move him. Huet never had this many haters until the day he was moved.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:11 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
I even expect Philadelphia to do that
Yeah, to every player they come across.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Roloson still plays for the Oilers
Exactly.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:19 PM
znk

I'm sure he's losing alot of sleep over it...

There was no market for goalies. Anaheim had to ship Bryzgalov on waivers.
Huet is a UFA.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Exactly.
Haha...now I'm really confused.

Here is your original post.

(The Huet trade was a bad one. Look how much the Oilers got for Roloson.)

The Oilers never traded Roloson, he still plays for them. So I don't see what you're talking about when you say "Look how much the Oilers got for Roloson".

Edit: If you meant, look how much the Oilers gave up for Roloson. That might make more sense.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Funny how this turned into a "Huet Sucks" thread. I still think Washington got an incredible deal for a number one goaltender, that could come back to haunt us.

I never said it was a bad move to move Huet, just an odd place to move him. Huet never had this many haters until the day he was moved.
I suppose the way I see it now is that this team wouldn't have progressed like it did with a Huet/Price tandem - Huet needed to go for Price to begin really asserting himself. In other words, it was the chance to take - obviously it was somewhat risky (or was it? seems highly calculated now, doesn't it?).

When all's said and done though, a meeting against Huet in this year's playoffs is not all that probable. Can't happen unless the Habs & Caps are the two teams left standing in the East. Caps would have to win their current round then beat either Pittsburgh or NJ/NYR to meet us, and Habs still have a long hard road ahead to be sure.

Would love the Habs to face the Caps though. I think it would be a really fun, open, series. Would be some fantastic hockey and the drama would write itself.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:34 PM
tigidou

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Huet is a choker and he'd prove that fact against the Habs.
So as a choker, Huet will get to the east final ? That would be a very good achievement for Capitals, especially with their choker goaler

Let's not mix everything. Huet was good. He was UFA. We had Price & halak (good & cheaper) and could afford trading him.

tigidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
I mean... if we have to play the Caps at some point.. that would be very ... uncomfortable knowing he gave Huet to Washington for nothing... or next to nothing..

He could very well end his own playoff run by a panic trade at the deadline.
If ...If ...

and what IF we play and lose againts the Flyers and Briere ?

and what if we play and lose againts Dallas and Ribeiro ?

and what if we play and lose againts NY , because of Hossa ?

And what if we play and lose againts Colorado and Theodore ?

And what if we play and lose againts Detroit and Chelios ?

Againts Pittsburg and Therrien ?

Againts Minisota and Lemaire and Tremblay ?

Againts SAn Jose and Rivet ?

Againts Anaheim and Beauchemin ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
I have to disagree. A second rounder isn't nothing. Also, if BOb didn't trade Huet to Washington, what team would have wanted him? Scan playoff bound clubs and their goalies. Besides Washington, who would want to acquire UFA Huet?
i have to disagree .a second rounder IS SOMETHING .

Especially in the hands of Trevor T and crew.

43rd overall (2nd round) PK Subban,Latendresse 45 over all second round .....Maxim Lapierre second round

Jarret Stoll second round
Duncan Keith second round
Matt Stajan second round
Paul Stastnysecond round
Matt Carle second round
Blake Comeau second round
Brandon Dubinsky second round
Patrice Bergeron second round
Shea Weber second round
Mike Cammalleri second round
Jason Pominville second round
Derek Roy second round
Paul Martin second round
Jonathan Cheechoo second round
Mike Fisher second
Mike Ribeiro second

Now lets see what a second turns into in 2009 before we write off a second round pick as "nothing".

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 04-09-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
i didnt read anything in this thread but this is what i think..

why would he sweat?
he has no reason too. Carey Price has been stellar since the trade, we really dont need or miss Huet.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

43rd overall (2nd round) PK Subban,Latendresse 45 over all second round .....Maxim Lapierre second round

Matt Stajan second round
Paul Stastnysecond round
Matt Carle second round
Shea Weber second round
Derek Roy second round
Paul Martin second round
Mike Fisher second
Mike Ribeiro second

Now lets see what a second turns into in 2009 before we write off a second round pick as "nothing".
How did this guy slip so far down the ladder? He was a beast at the world juniors with crosby and co. Was he known to be injury prone or..?

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
How did this guy slip so far down the ladder? He was a beast at the world juniors with crosby and co. Was he known to be injury prone or..?
Bergron was already drafted before playing at the world juniors.

Old
04-09-2008, 11:14 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

Matt Stajan second round
Paul Stastnysecond round
Matt Carle second round
Shea Weber second round
Derek Roy second round
Paul Martin second round
Mike Fisher second
Mike Ribeiro second

Arent you saying the same thing as the guy you quoted? He said "A second rounder isnt nothing"
I think both you guys are on the same side.

Old
04-10-2008, 12:05 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I don't know about panic, but given the timing of the trade (very late on deadline day) I'd LOVE to know what was going on behind the scenes in making this trade happen.

basically, a few scenarios pop up:
- Washington was very interested, and he was waiting for their price to go up
- Washington was interested in him AND someone else, and was waiting for the price to drop
- He had more than one team interested, and was waiting for the highest bidder (though considering that no other impact goalies got moved, and all we got was a 2nd, I doubt this one)

it is quite possible that he made up his mind to go with Price, and "panicked" in the sense that he moved Huet virtually regardless of return/potential impact (Huet stepping up for washington and making them one of the hotest teams heading into the playoffs) because he was determined to let Price take over #1 asap.

The fact of the matter is that we gave a conference rival a huge boost down the stretch for a 2nd pick in '09. IF he wanted Price to play without a vet behind him (which people over-sell WAY too much... from all accounts, Huet was an absolute professional about it, and if Price's ego is so fragile that he doesn't have the **lls to hang on to #1 status given to him (note that he was fine with Danis behind him last year, and was fine taking and running with the World Juniors spot), than he ain't the future superstar we all know he's going to be)

It may or may not come back to bite us directly, I sure as hell hope it doesn't, but if it does, Gainey will certainly avoid the critiscism he deserves on that move (cuz even at teh deadline, the team was clearly young, succesfull and stocked for the future... at this point even a first round collapse won't affect his worship status).
You put too much thought into this...bottom line is Price >>> Huet.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 12:11 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You don't often win trades that you're not in control of. We HAD to trade Ribeiro, we HAD to trade Roy, Atlanta had to get Zhitnik, Nashville desperately wanted Forsberg.....

It's obviously always better when it's for everybody's sake (the Rivet trade). We had to get rid of him but San Jose equally needed a vet presence real bad.

As for Huet it's a mix between we had to get rid of him to make room for Price and 'cause we were going to lose him for nothing AND it's also our advantage 'cause it made Price shine so far.

But Gainey will look bad if:

1- Price fails, Halak can't help...
2- Huet beats Habs
3- 2nd rounder is a bust

But Gainey will look good if:

1- The contrary of what I just said happens
2- Because of Price's experience in this playoffs, he'll be gold for years to come and become a better goalie as soon as next year when our team will be much better.

Not a lot of people expect us to be a cup winner this year, they will next year, we'll need a better Price for that to happen. If this year means he'll be better next year, so be it....

It was and still is a big gamble.
I love the thinking! Nothing but up from here

I definitely want a cup in Montreal this year, but I can live with giving the kids so experience and watching what it can do for them next year.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 12:20 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
The fact of the matter is that we gave a conference rival a huge boost down the stretch for a 2nd pick in '09. .....
I think you might be missing a BIGGER fact of the matter. Chances were 98% that either Carolina or Washington was going to get in, but not both, unless a team like Boston, Ottawa or Philly totally collapsed (which almost happened). So Washington was really NOT a rival for a playoff spot.

What Washington WAS, fact of the matter was a club that was DONE playing the Habs, but still was playing many of the teams that WERE in fact playoff rivals of Montreal. Thus, if Cristobal did well and beat some of those rival teams, this would ONLY HELP MONTREAL, not hurt them!

Therefore, in terms of what team to trade a still-good goaltender that you know you are going to lose to free agency in a couple of months, Washington was a BRILLIANT choice. If Huet played poorly, Washington would stay with Kolzig and the effect on the Habs would be minimal. If Huet played well, Washington might beat several of the Habs' actual playoff rivals, and the effect would be positive for Montreal.

Quote:
It may or may not come back to bite us directly, I sure as hell hope it doesn't, but if it does, Gainey will certainly avoid the critiscism he deserves on that move (cuz even at teh deadline, the team was clearly young, succesfull and stocked for the future ....
THERE is hidden the actual risk of doing the deal. The risk was that Price would go through a bad STRETCH and that Huet would not be there to stop the Habs from falling out of the playoff run. However, the club felt this was a minimal risk because of two factors:

a. everything in Price's history indicated that he would not collapse, and could rebound strongly from a bad game or two; and
b. Jaroslav Halak had proven in 2007 that he was capable of handling NHL games pretty well if needed, and he had already shown return to his top 2007 form of late.

Now,

1. take the minimal risk of Price collapse,
2. add the realistic upside of good play in Washington by Huet helping the Habs,
3. add the INTANGIBLE that by not having Huet around, we avoided having a relatively popular veteran chafe at not playing and silently and UNINTENTIONALLY putting a negative cast on team chemistry,
4. factor in the admitted longshot that Carey Price might pull off a Dryden 1971 / Roy 1986 / Price 2007 (Bulldog) miracle and win us a Stanley Cup in 2008, and
5. top it off with the BONUS that if the team were NOT ready to WIN the Cup yet, it will gain valuable playoff experience and that the goaltender getting this experience in 2008 will now be the guy who will still be here for the coming years when the Cup chances may be even better...

you get in fact a BRILLIANT move, superbly calculated, and the farthest thing from a panic trade as you can get!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 12:32 AM
habfaninvictoria

I think Gainey took a page out of Sam Pollack play book and gave Huet to Washington to keep Carolina out of the playoffs

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Haha...now I'm really confused.

Here is your original post.

(The Huet trade was a bad one. Look how much the Oilers got for Roloson.)

The Oilers never traded Roloson, he still plays for them. So I don't see what you're talking about when you say "Look how much the Oilers got for Roloson".

Edit: If you meant, look how much the Oilers gave up for Roloson. That might make more sense.
No, my point was that Roloson was the most logical impending UFA goalie to be traded at the deadline, yet stayed with the Oilers, making Huet the only UFA goalie traded.

I was outlining my opinion that both because there is no comparable trade, and because the supply was likely higher than the demand, pretending that the return for Huet was insufficent doesn't make sense.

It might have been clearer with an "Oh wait." at the end, but I don't like how that comes off.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 05:14 AM
LesCanadiens

Gainey took the best offer.....simple as that. Anyone thinking he could had got more than the best offer....is on drugs.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote