HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Green/Clement Criticize Martin, Panthers Organization

Old
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
It's just not logical for anyone to think that JM the GM would hire someone that doesn't share his same philosophy of coaching. To do so would be him admitting that he sucked as Panthers Coach instead of hiring a Coach just to leave him more time for his GM duties.
exactly

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 02:24 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
exactly

you guys are too much. i can't even summon the strength to comment on this "stuff" anymore.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

you guys are too much. i can't even summon the strength to comment on this "stuff" anymore.
Do you really think JM would hire a coach who didn't share his coaching philosophy?

Old
04-10-2008, 02:37 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Do you really think JM would hire a coach who didn't share his coaching philosophy?
the philosophy that he espoused the other day, i.e., that you have to start by playing solid defense?

Old
04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
the philosophy that he espoused the other day, i.e., that you have to start by playing solid defense?
way to avoid the question.

Old
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
zeroG

Quote:
it's a ridiculous question and the wrong question. there's nothing inherently *wrong* with his system.

Old
04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Acadmus

Keep on topic or I'm shutting down the thread. I deleted the last post to keep things on track.

04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
That was actually a way to indirectly answer you, while simultaneously avoid being pigeonholed into the premise that you put forth, which is to say Martin's coaching philosophy is flawed. If he disagrees with that, he's free to, and you can debate the technical merits.

My problem with Martin isn't so much his system as his inability to get players to stick to it. When they do, they win. When they don't, they blow 2-goal leads in the 3rd period. I don't think he's got the motivational skills to make players win. I have no real problem with his system, except that it seems too conservative in the third periods when the team has had a lead.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Georgia Panther

Where has Martin's system worked other than Ottawa that had so much offensive talent that they scored despite of it? The players there certainly didn't like it. The one time Martin coached an average team, St.Louis, he had losing records both years he was there.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
That was actually a way to indirectly answer you, while simultaneously avoid being pigeonholed into the premise that you put forth, which is to say Martin's coaching philosophy is flawed. If he disagrees with that, he's free to, and you can debate the technical merits.

My problem with Martin isn't so much his system as his inability to get players to stick to it. When they do, they win. When they don't, they blow 2-goal leads in the 3rd period. I don't think he's got the motivational skills to make players win. I have no real problem with his system, except that it seems too conservative in the third periods when the team has had a lead.
ok, but what about the games that they won? when JM had a reasonable squad (i.e., wasn't fielding the rochester panthers), they held leads. and, as has been discussed to death many times, JM himself was imploring the team to stay aggressive. i truly think most posters here are erroneously putting WAY too much emphasis on the system and not enough on the competence and confidence on the players out there playing.

ps - thanks for spelling things out