HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Plan the Parade!

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
The Marleau signing is one of the worst contracts in recent memory. Their defense is well below average. They have three "stars" to sign big contracts coming up.

They "may not" be as bad off as the Oilers but they have to be in the top 5 for worst cap situation to be in.
It's funny but even the Oilers cap situation isn't that bad. At least we have players who can play and they can be moved. It's not like we signed Lucic or Russell past 40 years old. They will be useful in that time and I bet you both have a better season this year.

Old
09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
thalegion

Honestly we shouldn't get a mention as we are worse off this year than last. That being said It's Simmons so yeah...

Old
09-12-2017, 12:28 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
As much as we criticize their media. It'll be them that prevent the Leafs from winning a cup. They will do something at some point that screws up their chances to win. They always do. Whether it's putting unbearable pressure on the players at the wrong time or the management, it'll happen. It always does. I forget the exact year but they had a team during the Cujo years that was the best in the league. The media hounded management all year to make big deals at the trade deadline to make the team even better. They made five or six deadline deals on a team that was firing on all cylinders and it messed with the chemistry so badly that the team was out of the playoffs early.

As annoying as that media is to the rest of Canada, it's a huge detriment to the Leafs. Let them do their thing.

Old
09-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Aerrol
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerricthebig View Post
By Steve Simmons

/thread
lol exactly. I saw the writer and immediately closed it. Dude is still insistent that Kessel eating hotdogs prevents him from being a real hockey player...as Kessel brings the cup to visit Toronto.

Old
09-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
No need to play the next few seasons gents! Oilers dont even get a mention , Toronto has her all wrapped up!

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hocke...he-stanley-cup
Well, since the article is about the Leafs, and written by a T.O sportswriter (a bandwagon idiot like Simmonds, but nonetheless), not sure what else you expected. I don't believe he said they would win the next 10 cups in a row, just that they would win one in the relatively near future. Not an unrealistic possiblity, given what they have for young talent. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Old
09-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Honestly we shouldn't get a mention as we are worse off this year than last. That being said It's Simmons so yeah...
Not sure how we are worse off now than last year. Our young players have another years of experience, not to mention going through the fire of a playoff run. Our goalie is intact, our best forwards should be stronger and better, solid coaching, and a GM that is capable of helping out at the deadline if necessary.

Old
09-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

Was this written before or after Doughty made his "I want to win cups" quote?

Seems like Simmonds is trying to pitch that idea there.

Old
09-12-2017, 05:29 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

i find with leaf fans its better to acknowledge how awesome they really are. they are used to straight combat and they dont know how to deal with agreement or patronizing.

Old
09-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

There is hope for Toronto now in the form of this past Pittsburgh cup win. They won without Letang, and the D was nothing special at all without him.

The problem with that lesson is that Pittsburgh was lucky to win the cup. They are lucky they played an 8th seed in the final, and they are definitely lucky that team lost their 1C to injury. Not only that, but Pittsburgh's goaltending and forward group are better than Toronto's. Toronto does not have the defense to be a serious contender, and I don't see how they could turn that around. They could win, but would need to be very lucky

Basically, the Leafs should be praying that Doughty does pop loose from LA and that he signs with Toronto. I have no doubt that if that happened, he'd be playing 30 minutes a night in the playoffs.

To be fair, I would say we're in danger of this as well. We don't have a Dman like Karlsson or Doughty or Pietrangelo. However, I'd say that our top pairing is better than anything Toronto can muster, and Sekera is equally to anyone on Toronto's D. Klefbom also has 1D potential, and so our D does meet the minimum standard to win a cup with, imo.

Old
09-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Hockey Nightmare

They need to improve their Defence first.

Old
09-12-2017, 06:50 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

Great. Just makes stuff like this extra sweet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdvoDFTcTLw&t=94

Edit: It also serves as a reminder to Oilers fans to never, ever be like that. Don't count anything until it hatches, have fun on the journey, respect how difficult a league it is. Take nothing for granted even with McDavid. These stars are always 1 game away from a career ending concussion.

Closed Thread