HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Q&A with Cohen at the BAC

Old
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Q&A with Cohen at the BAC

The Panthers/Cohen will be holding a Q&A session on Thursday, April 10th, at 7pm. I already RSVP'd and will definitely have something to say. I cant wait!

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Interesting timing for a Q & A.

That means either renewals for STHers are down, or perhaps explanation of an announcement.

If Martin isn't at that meeting, it's likely because he's no longer with the organization.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Georgia Panther

Martin said he wouldn't be in South Florida long once the season ends.

"Martin says he won't spend much time in South Florida once the season ends, with plans to visit the team's American Hockey League affiliate in Rochester, N.Y., as well as scout players in the juniors."

http://www.miamiherald.com/623/story/481011.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
The Panthers/Cohen will be holding a Q&A session on Thursday, April 10th, at 7pm. I already RSVP'd and will definitely have something to say. I cant wait!
I wish I was able to go, but I won't make it down. Please post back and let us know what comes out of it.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Booth10

Quote:

PB, for us out of towners, can you ask some questions?

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 11:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
PB, for us out of towners, can you ask some questions?
Im going to ask about the coming cap limit/speculation, and give my opinion about the Martin/Olli situation and about impending UFAs. Its not going to be stupid questions/comments like we should sign this guy or that guy. What did you have in mind?

Old
04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Booth10

Ask him if he gets pissed off being called cheap, when he spends as much as the Mtl Canadians on payroll, with 20% of the income.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
sinDer

My first question would be:

Are you going to bullsh*** us or are you going to actually answer my next questions?

anyways....everything has been said. Same questions again and again. So many answers but no results

I don't care what Martin, Cohen or players have to say. They're always going to tell you what you want to hear anyways

I don't care of what they're all going to say/do during the summer. I'll wait til october and see what happens

and let me tell you...after the first 5 games (if not the very first) of the next season...we will know if this team has what it takes to make the playoffs

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Vokoun29

Quote:
Im going to ask about the coming cap limit/speculation, and give my opinion about the Martin/Olli situation and about impending UFAs. Its not going to be stupid questions/comments like we should sign this guy or that guy. What did you have in mind?

Ask him about Frolik contract status with the Panthers!

Vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokoun29 View Post
I have the exact same question .. I don't want to lose another decent prospect over 5 minutes on a fax machine ..

Granted, Roussin has been a bust for the Kings so far, but it still sucks ice ..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 02:18 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Guys (and gals), apparently there is going to be A LOT of people there tomorrow, around 300. If anyone is going to head out there, let me know. Im going to try and get there early cause I want a good seat for this massacre.

Old
04-10-2008, 07:39 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Guys don't ask stupid questions...please. Ask questions that will actually help the franchise, not to flame it.

Like:
- Don't ask if Martin is going to get fired
- Don't flame the franchise
- and for the love of god on't bring up the luongo trade....just don't.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Acadmus

Please make sure to ask about efforts to get the Panthers stable (and exclusive) affiliations in both the AHL and ECHL, where the Panthers have input on coaching staff and can make sure most of the players getting ice time are their prospects.

04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I have a feeling they're going to announce that Martin is fired from the organization. Apparently, there's a rumour floatign around stating the same, unfortunately.

If he does get fired, now would be the time to do it. That way, they'll have time to actually interview people and will hopefully hire the guy with the best PLAN, not the biggest name.

I'm not looking forward to having a whole new regime in here...again! But I'm a fan, so I'll stand by and hope for the best. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
The revolving door, it keeps a spinnin' and a spinnin' and a spinnin'.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I have a feeling they're going to announce that Martin is fired from the organization. Apparently, there's a rumour floatign around stating the same, unfortunately.

If he does get fired, now would be the time to do it. That way, they'll have time to actually interview people and will hopefully hire the guy with the best PLAN, not the biggest name.

I'm not looking forward to having a whole new regime in here...again! But I'm a fan, so I'll stand by and hope for the best. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I hope he just steps down as head coach. I LOVE JM as a GM but as a Head Coach I don't know. I'd be willing to give him another year at it but I would rather have one person running GM duties and one running coaching duties.

Old
04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Madhatter73

I would like him to stay on in both... GM in title only to ensure another Luongo deal... Let Sexton take over the day-to-day with Joe N.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
I would like him to stay on in both... GM in title only to ensure another Luongo deal... Let Sexton take over the day-to-day with Joe N.
Could work. Lets just hope Joe would want to put the time and effort into that job.

Old
04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokoun29 View Post
Yes, this question needs to be answered.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Someone PLEASE ask him about when the hell he plans on signing a SERIOUS top line winger!!!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Yes, this question needs to be answered.
It might not be much, but during one of the intermissions of a Rimouski game I was watching last week on the Q website, they interviewed Frolik. They asked him what he thinks about what's going to happen next season, and he said he hopes to go to training camp in Florida and win a job, but if not, then he guesses he'll go to the AHL. He seemed very genuine about it. The impression I got was that he fully intends to sign a contract with the Panthers. Could be totally wrong, but just thought I'd share.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

First off...Im am COMPLETELY OUT OF MY MIND RIGHT NOW! I want to know if anyone has the email address for Mr Cohen? I was having a very nice, civilized conversation with him before I got interrupted by the $@#@!$. He was a oriental person, wearing a black shirt, and he had pages of forum talk, which most looked to be from the Sun Sentinel. Well I never knew that someone knew so much about me, even though I have NEVER met this man before. He was a complete jerk, insulted me, waved me off like I was beneath him, and wouldnt let me get a word in. Im am livid right now, and cant believe that anyone in the organization would even let a jerk like that represent the organization.

Anyways...Cohen is a great man. He sat there and took the heat from a lot of people. And to be honest with you, these people dont know s$#t. Here are some things that I took away from it:

~He wants Bouw for 10 years. They are beginning the negotiation process and want to get it done soon.
~It sounded like Martin was gone, one way or the other. When we spoke, I told him Id like to keep him as GM and get a new coach. He agreed with me and said that he would like the same thing, but also said that Martin's heart is in coaching. They will sit down shortly to discuss whats going to happen
~Martin is leaving to Rochester to see what is going on with the situation up there. No word on what the plans are yet
~Cohen brought up some valid points, which have been brought up here, about missing the playoffs. He wants to build from within and grow our own talent
~Luongo badmouthed the team and organization, which became an issue over time. Louies wife would call Alan telling him she wanted Louie to stay, but in the end, all of his demands werent right for the team and he thought to move on was the best scenario.
~Keenan was an @ss. He and Duds werent on speaking terms. He and Martin werent on speaking terms.
~We have some real novice hockey people in this town, Im real sorry to say. Not to offend anyone, but some of these questions/comments that were made were ridiculous. One guy saying we needed "stars" on the ice, like Belfour. Cohen responded, "i dont know about you, but Id rather have Vokoun than Belfour." Everyone clapped, except the guy who made the comment, who responded to Cohen saying I wouldnt.

People when it comes down to it, we missed the playoffs by less than 10 points. Do you really think that if we didnt have 400 man games lost to injury, we would of made up those 10 points? There were some real knowledgeable people there, and it was a great experience to have the teams owner come out and do this for almost three hours. I applaud him for that and Im glad he is our owner. Nobody would have anything bad to say about him if you had the chance to attend tonights meeting.

And to be honest with you, I dont know if Olli will be around either. Cohen brought up the point about Olli and his +/-, saying that if he was similar to last years mark, or even even, this team would be a playoff team. So it looks like Olli and Martin might be gone.

He did also say that the day of rebuilding is over. He wants to be a playoff team year in year out, and he will do what it takes to get it done.

They are also in discussions about buiding this multi billion dollar industry around the BAC, which will great benefit the Panthers, especially financially,

Old
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Thanks PB. I'm sorry you were treated so rudely, but I'm thankful for the update.

I'm not really happy with the idea of getting rid of Martin and/or Olli. Revolving coaches/GMs is what put us where we are today, and Olli was our #1 goal scorer how many years now? Makes no sense to me, but I'm a novice still.

Good to hear he's trying to wrap up JBo for 10 years.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 09:55 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Thanks for the report pb! If you don't mind, I'd like to hear a bit more about this incident with the rude person.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
zeroG

Quote:
First off...Im am COMPLETELY OUT OF MY MIND RIGHT NOW! I want to know if anyone has the email address for Mr Cohen? I was having a very nice, civilized conversation with him before I got interrupted by the $@#@!$. He was a oriental person, wearing a black shirt, and he had pages of forum talk, which most looked to be from the Sun Sentinel. Well I never knew that someone knew so much about me, even though I have NEVER met this man before. He was a complete jerk, insulted me, waved me off like I was beneath him, and wouldnt let me get a word in. Im am livid right now, and cant believe that anyone in the organization would even let a jerk like that represent the organization.

Anyways...Cohen is a great man. He sat there and took the heat from a lot of people. And to be honest with you, these people dont know s$#t. Here are some things that I took away from it:

~He wants Bouw for 10 years. They are beginning the negotiation process and want to get it done soon.
~It sounded like Martin was gone, one way or the other. When we spoke, I told him Id like to keep him as GM and get a new coach. He agreed with me and said that he would like the same thing, but also said that Martin's heart is in coaching. They will sit down shortly to discuss whats going to happen
~Martin is leaving to Rochester to see what is going on with the situation up there. No word on what the plans are yet
~Cohen brought up some valid points, which have been brought up here, about missing the playoffs. He wants to build from within and grow our own talent
~Luongo badmouthed the team and organization, which became an issue over time. Louies wife would call Alan telling him she wanted Louie to stay, but in the end, all of his demands werent right for the team and he thought to move on was the best scenario.
~Keenan was an @ss. He and Duds werent on speaking terms. He and Martin werent on speaking terms.
~We have some real novice hockey people in this town, Im real sorry to say. Not to offend anyone, but some of these questions/comments that were made were ridiculous. One guy saying we needed "stars" on the ice, like Belfour. Cohen responded, "i dont know about you, but Id rather have Vokoun than Belfour." Everyone clapped, except the guy who made the comment, who responded to Cohen saying I wouldnt.

People when it comes down to it, we missed the playoffs by less than 10 points. Do you really think that if we didnt have 400 man games lost to injury, we would of made up those 10 points? There were some real knowledgeable people there, and it was a great experience to have the teams owner come out and do this for almost three hours. I applaud him for that and Im glad he is our owner. Nobody would have anything bad to say about him if you had the chance to attend tonights meeting.

And to be honest with you, I dont know if Olli will be around either. Cohen brought up the point about Olli and his +/-, saying that if he was similar to last years mark, or even even, this team would be a playoff team. So it looks like Olli and Martin might be gone.

He did also say that the day of rebuilding is over. He wants to be a playoff team year in year out, and he will do what it takes to get it done.

They are also in discussions about buiding this multi billion dollar industry around the BAC, which will great benefit the Panthers, especially financially,
hey, we probably have a good half dozen of those loudmouths right here (if the shoe fits...)! and yeah, i occasionally post over at the various papers out of frustration but, man, what a bunch of tools. sheez.

anyway, wrt the meeting, i have to say that if it went down as you describe, then kudos to cohen - that takes some stones. hopefully he'll show some strength through this as it's not really necessary for either olli or JM to go. i'm sure it could (and should) be managed. one thing's for certain - the owner CANNOT be seen to be partial to his star over his manager; that has only made matters worse. cohen's gotta butt out of the day to day business.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote