HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

David Pastrnak

View Poll Results: Which of these options falls in line with your way of thinking?
8.5M/8.5+/8years 6 2.69%
7.5-8M/7-8years 16 7.17%
7-7.5M/7-8 years 115 51.57%
6.5-7M/ 7-8 years 54 24.22%
6.5-7M/ 5-6 years 11 4.93%
6M/6 years 10 4.48%
5M/3 years 11 4.93%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Gator Mike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouJersey View Post
it's the mentality though. Backes only other offer was 4/24 from the Blues. The Bruins basically pissed away 6 million bucks (cap wise) to go one extra year to secure his services, which basically everyone has an issue with whether you like the player or not.
In other words, the market for Backes was better than the apparent market for Pastrnak, which is basically Boston and no one else.

Old
09-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
.Don Sweeney has to know he is toast he loses this kid.
I doubt it, JJ will give him a pat on the back and tell him good job. I assume Sweeney is too smart to think he would get a raise out of Monty Burns.

But JJ will save the NHL, just at the cost of his own team.

Old
09-13-2017, 08:34 AM
BsEuphoria
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
That's where I'm at Lou.

7 million for me -/+ is the tipping point.
It still could be coming down to the lockout money in this one as well that's hanging things up. I'm still in the 7-7.5/y boat and I really think that gets it done, but with some other stipulations that the Bruins I'm sure are having a hard time with.

Old
09-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BsEuphoria View Post
It still could be coming down to the lockout money in this one as well that's hanging things up. I'm still in the 7-7.5/y boat and I really think that gets it done, but with some other stipulations that the Bruins I'm sure are having a hard time with.
Agreed. Lockout/guaranteed bonus $ is a factor.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
09-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post
BACKES was a UFA and available to the highest bidder. He earned that right and with that comes a decent pay day. There were probably a dozen other clubs who would have offered him similar $. PASTRNAK will earn that right someday as well but right now he's a 1 productive season guy and even with todays market, he's a 6-7 per guy despite what PC gave to DRAISAITL. If the Bruins are willing to meet in the middle at 7.2 X 8 and JP BARRY declines that offer, then see ya. I personally support the Bruins for not going anywhere near BARRY's asking and comparison to LD. LD is now over-paid and even if he was paid where he should be (7-7.5), PASTRNAK is not as valuable as LD. As I said before, 31 out of 31 NHL GMs trade PASTRNAK for DRAISAITL in a heartbeat, if you don't think that's the case, you need to take off you black and gold glasses.

For those who keep harping to just sign him at JP BARRY's comparison to the DRAISAITL salary, you need to realize it will have huge repercussions on a boat-load post entry level deals that have high potential to become significantly higher, such as MACAVOY, BJORK, JFK, CARLO, DEBRUSK, SENYSHYN, ZBORIL, LAUZON, (all occuring between the 19-20 and 20-21 season), not to mention expiring deals to KRUG and RASK and probably lesser deals to guys like GABRIELLE, VLADER, ACCAIRI, KURALY, O'GARA, LINDGREN etc. There's only so much room under the cap.

7.2 X 8 is the sweet spot, period, full stop.
I'm not sure I've seen one person suggest to sign Pasta to that deal. I think generally we all want a deal in the $7.5mm range, and think that LD is overpaid.

Why do you care so much about prospects who haven't done anything yet? McAvoy will likely be in the same position as Pasta two years from now, young star who wants fair market value.

I'm not the least bit worried about signing a prospect who hasnt stepped foot on NHL ice yet, you shouldnt be either.

Old
09-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post

If that's what JP is looking for, then number one, Sweeney should try to structure the deal so he's getting 8 after year 2 of the deal, but so the average is 7. Not sure if gm's are allowed to do that anymore?

Or wait them out. The only threat is an offer sheet...who has the money, space, and ability to lose a handful of first round picks? Are any of them teams Pastrnak would want to up and go play for? All good questions.

I say we see 88 before the opener, sporting a nice new salary

I see him taking a bridge at 6 for 1 or 2 or a long term deal that pays him 8 plus in a few years, and he'll end up cashing in for 10 million or more after it's up

The biggest issue here seems to be his agent, not much sweeney can do about that. Jp seems to have it out for the bruins a tad
The biggest issue is Jacobs, remember when JJ and Harry wanted to save the NHL from itself by not paying market value for any player because in their minds they were all overpaid? How many players did the Bruins lose in that time who were just looking for market deals?

Remember how JJ was one of the Hawks in every lock out the league has ever had and was willing to sacrifice a season to get his salary cap?

Now owners are starting to complain about second contracts being too high and who happens to have a rising star looking for his second contract that JJ can make an example out of?

I'm sure J.P. Barry is driving a hard bargain, they have said all the right things so far. The market, whether JJ likes it or not, has been set by other teams. The Bruins either pay market value or they lose another young star, simple equation. While Pastrnak may not be susceptible to an offer sheet he has other options, Russia for a year at 5 million would send a very clear message. The Bruins may own his rights but if he goes to Russia for a year he will be dealt to a team that will meet his demands. Bruins will get pennies on the dollar again, a young star flourishes in another market and it's 39 years between cups again or until satan calls JJ home.

Last edited by Fenian24: 09-13-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old
09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
LouJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
In other words, the market for Backes was better than the apparent market for Pastrnak, which is basically Boston and no one else.
The point is throwing away money. But go ahead, be the hardliner and watch all the other teams ink their stars to deals that will look like steals a couple years from now while you draw the line in the sand and fall behind (if the rumor is correct the Bruins are standing pat at 6 mil).

This team is closer to 8th seed to 1st seed, so you don't want to be without your top gun to start the season, do you? Or drag it out so he misses parts of camp and then gets the typical camp holdout groin strain that messes his whole season up?

What is your offer to Pasta?

09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Clode

[QUOTE=Fenian24;135730875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post

The biggest issue is Jacobs, remember when JJ and Harry wanted to save the NHL from itself by not paying market value for any player because in their minds they were all overpaid? How many players did the Bruins lose in that time who were just looking for market deals?

Remember how JJ was one of the Hawks in every lock out the league has ever had and was willing to sacrifice a season to get his salary cap?

Now owners are starting to complain about second contracts being too high and who happens to have a rising star looking for his second contract that JJ can make an example out of?

I'm sure J.P. Barry is driving a hard bargain, they have said all the right things so far. The market, whether JJ likes it or not, has been set by other teams. The Bruins either pay market value or they lose another young star, simple equation. While Pastrnak may not be susceptible to an offer sheet he has other options, Russia for a year at 5 million would send a very clear message. The Bruins may own his rights but if he goes to Russia for a year he will be dealt to a team that will meet his demands. Bruins will get pennies on the dollar again, a young star flourishes in another market and it's 39 years between cups again or until satan calls JJ home.
As is usually the case, I'm mesmerized by your overwhelmingly positive attitude.

What do you do in your free time, put kittens and puppies in a burlap bag and throw them into a river?

Old
09-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Dizzay

Outside of the norm JJ bashing, DS bashing, is there any new developments on the Pasta watch?

Old
09-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Gator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouJersey View Post
The point is throwing away money. But go ahead, be the hardliner and watch all the other teams ink their stars to deals that will look like steals a couple years from now while you draw the line in the sand and fall behind (if the rumor is correct the Bruins are standing pat at 6 mil).
You don't want the Bruins to throw money away, but you want them to bid against themselves for Pastrnak? I love the kid, but he doesn't have any leverage here. It would probably be in his best interest to bet on himself and sign a bridge deal.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:03 AM
finchster

Quote:
You don't want the Bruins to throw money away, but you want them to bid against themselves for Pastrnak? I love the kid, but he doesn't have any leverage here. It would probably be in his best interest to bet on himself and sign a bridge deal.
Or the Bruins can sign him long term and get the cap savings now at 7-8 million over 8 years rather than signing him for 10 million over 8 years 2 seasons from now.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:09 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Or the Bruins can sign him long term and get the cap savings now at 7-8 million over 8 years rather than signing him for 10 million over 8 years 2 seasons from now.
If they give him a bridge deal and he asks for +10M in 2 years he's as good as gone.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:12 AM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
If they give him a bridge deal and he asks for +10M in 2 years he's as good as gone.
If he's a 30 plus goal scorer and near a PPG over two seasons, 10 million is what he will get in two years.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:12 AM
LouJersey

Quote:
So your offer is?

7-7.25 per at 8 years is not throwing money away, in the least. Paying a 37 year old guy with Backes resume 6 million is. And I get it, they wanted him and I'm glad he's here. You need to do things like that. They aren't bidding against themselves they are making an investment in their future. Again, play the leverage card all you want, nobody else in the league is, so be the martyr. Teams are being smart and looking up their franchise pieces, paying a little more upfront to save on the backend.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:13 AM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post
BACKES was a UFA and available to the highest bidder. He earned that right and with that comes a decent pay day. There were probably a dozen other clubs who would have offered him similar $. PASTRNAK will earn that right someday as well but right now he's a 1 productive season guy and even with todays market, he's a 6-7 per guy despite what PC gave to DRAISAITL. If the Bruins are willing to meet in the middle at 7.2 X 8 and JP BARRY declines that offer, then see ya. I personally support the Bruins for not going anywhere near BARRY's asking and comparison to LD. LD is now over-paid and even if he was paid where he should be (7-7.5), PASTRNAK is not as valuable as LD. As I said before, 31 out of 31 NHL GMs trade PASTRNAK for DRAISAITL in a heartbeat, if you don't think that's the case, you need to take off you black and gold glasses.

For those who keep harping to just sign him at JP BARRY's comparison to the DRAISAITL salary, you need to realize it will have huge repercussions on a boat-load post entry level deals that have high potential to become significantly higher, such as MACAVOY, BJORK, JFK, CARLO, DEBRUSK, SENYSHYN, ZBORIL, LAUZON, (all occuring between the 19-20 and 20-21 season), not to mention expiring deals to KRUG and RASK and probably lesser deals to guys like GABRIELLE, VLADER, ACCAIRI, KURALY, O'GARA, LINDGREN etc. There's only so much room under the cap.

7.2 X 8 is the sweet spot, period, full stop.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...plan_look_good

"Parenthetically, one of the reasons the Bís appear willing to play hardball with looming no-show restricted free agent winger David Pastrnak ó trying to keep him at the $6 million per year range in a multi-year pact rather than the $8 million he seeks ó is that McAvoy could easily be demanding top dollar in his next contract. If the kids work out as hoped, he wonít be the only one. Itís imperative for general manager Don Sweeney to save every last dollar.

Second-year defenseman Brandon Carlo will be another key to the 2017-18 Bruins (and a costly re-sign down the road). Winger Anders Bjork probably will be another. Thereís an excellent chance the 21-year-old from Notre Dame will open the campaign as a top-six forward"

Old
09-13-2017, 09:19 AM
Over the volcano

Looking back at comps - Monahan's 6.3 mil/per year for 7 years, after putting up 80 goals in his first three seasons (to Pasta's 61) is pretty a pretty strong case for keeping it under 7 on a long term deal.

Cant really claim that Pasta is more important to Boston or that Monahan is a tier below and Monahan benefits from Gaudreau like Pasta does with Marchand.

Last edited by Over the volcano: 09-13-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old
09-13-2017, 09:19 AM
bp13

Quote:
I don't know why you'd say this. On the one hand sure, he's an RFA not a UFA and thus the team has as much leverage as they could in any "free agency" situation, but there are other factors to consider.

1. He's arguably their best goalscorer and certainly their most talented forward under age 25. By a country mile.
2. They've been a bubble team for a while now and look to be the same for at least this season...without their best goalscorer they could easily miss the playoffs and lose money and possibly jobs for some in management.
3. The Bruins have traded away so much young talent in recent years that clearly a bad PR hit with another young kid would be disastrous. The PAstrnak camp has to know this and could easily prey on it, as they should. Trading him in the wake of Thornton, Kessel, Wheeler, Hamilton, Seguin, etc. would cost them fans. No doubt.

For a guy with only one great season and RFA status, he's got about as much leverage as he could possibly have.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:23 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...plan_look_good

"Parenthetically, one of the reasons the B’s appear willing to play hardball with looming no-show restricted free agent winger David Pastrnak — trying to keep him at the $6 million per year range in a multi-year pact rather than the $8 million he seeks — is that McAvoy could easily be demanding top dollar in his next contract. If the kids work out as hoped, he won’t be the only one. It’s imperative for general manager Don Sweeney to save every last dollar.

Second-year defenseman Brandon Carlo will be another key to the 2017-18 Bruins (and a costly re-sign down the road). Winger Anders Bjork probably will be another. There’s an excellent chance the 21-year-old from Notre Dame will open the campaign as a top-six forward"
All well and good but you don't risk losing your best young talent up front because you HOPE that you might have the same problem with a bunch of unknown talents in the future. Moreover, the flip side of the coin is that you don't want to signal to those kids that when they become free agents the Bruins are going to make the process hell for them by trying to nickel and dime them the way Harry Sinden used to. Maybe you don't overpay them, cut their lawn and tuck them in at night like Chiarelli did, but you don't have to be a *ick about it either.

Lastly, I'd argue you save money to sign young talents by not overpaying for aging veterans in the UFA market or by overpaying 3rd pairing dmen to be redundant players and/or healthy scratches. Or alternatively, when you create that situation, you buy a phone and learn how to make a hockey trade to help alleviate the redundancy. But alas, apparently that wisdom hasn't reached Causeway Street yet.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:27 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
If he's a 30 plus goal scorer and near a PPG over two seasons, 10 million is what he will get in two years.
Yep, but it won't be from the Bruins. I'm hoping for a long term deal to avoid this again in 2 years.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:29 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Clode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I don't know why you'd say this. On the one hand sure, he's an RFA not a UFA and thus the team has as much leverage as they could in any "free agency" situation, but there are other factors to consider.

1. He's arguably their best goalscorer and certainly their most talented forward under age 25. By a country mile.
2. They've been a bubble team for a while now and look to be the same for at least this season...without their best goalscorer they could easily miss the playoffs and lose money and possibly jobs for some in management.
3. The Bruins have traded away so much young talent in recent years that clearly a bad PR hit with another young kid would be disastrous. The PAstrnak camp has to know this and could easily prey on it, as they should. Trading him in the wake of Thornton, Kessel, Wheeler, Hamilton, Seguin, etc. would cost them fans. No doubt.

For a guy with only one great season and RFA status, he's got about as much leverage as he could possibly have.
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but Thornton, Kessel, and Wheeler are pre-Cup and ancient history IMO. Segs and Dougie are not, were also different animals than Pasta. I think they will keep him unless Barry is not budging from Draisaitl money. If that's the case, I just want to see a better return than Segs and Dougie brought.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:36 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but Thornton, Kessel, and Wheeler are pre-Cup and ancient history IMO. Segs and Dougie are not, were also different animals than Pasta. I think they will keep him unless Barry is not budging from Draisaitl money. If that's the case, I just want to see a better return than Segs and Dougie brought.
Like you say, if Barry is insistent on $8m AAV (I'd be surprised if this was true), then I'd have zero problem with Boston trading him, in theory. I think a lot of fans would take issue with it, but I wouldn't. So I agree with you there.

The problem we have, and I think we all know this, is that it's not like we could have any realistic expectation of a "good" trade. It's been what, two calendar years(?) since Sweeney has made a trade for NHL talent using NHL talent? Moreover, the signings haven't been good in his tenure either. So theoretically I'd have no issue with a trade (I root for the laundry not the player), but I'd much prefer a guy better at that part of the job was making the trade. And had access to a MUCH more competent pro scouting department rather than this group. And this is probably another example of where Pastrnak has leverage...Barry has to know that Boston has to be gunshy about NHL talent trades because frankly, they suck at them.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Yep, but it won't be from the Bruins. I'm hoping for a long term deal to avoid this again in 2 years.
This.

Two year deal means re upping when Matthews and Marner re up. If Pasta is a PPG player hes easily getting 8-9m, keeping in mind this is likely after Eichel and Nylander have been re upped long term.

I will be very upset if its anything but a long term deal.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:38 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
As others have pointed out, for one reason or another, JP Barry really doesn't seem to do business with the Bruins well.

I mean, if we are pointing fingers, that's where my finger lands in the blame game at this juncture.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Like you say, if Barry is insistent on $8m AAV (I'd be surprised if this was true), then I'd have zero problem with Boston trading him, in theory. I think a lot of fans would take issue with it, but I wouldn't. So I agree with you there.

The problem we have, and I think we all know this, is that it's not like we could have any realistic expectation of a "good" trade. It's been what, two calendar years(?) since Sweeney has made a trade for NHL talent using NHL talent? Moreover, the signings haven't been good in his tenure either. So theoretically I'd have no issue with a trade (I root for the laundry not the player), but I'd much prefer a guy better at that part of the job was making the trade. And had access to a MUCH more competent pro scouting department rather than this group. And this is probably another example of where Pastrnak has leverage...Barry has to know that Boston has to be gunshy about NHL talent trades because frankly, they suck at them.
I have zero insider knowledge, but I find it very hard to believe that Barry is insistent on $8mm. If he is, its likely because Sweeney is still around his original $6mm and doesn't want to come down if Sweeney aint budgin.

My gut says the Bs are still in the 6 range and aren't going to budge until the last minute.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Fenian24

[QUOTE=GloryDaze4877;135730945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post

As is usually the case, I'm mesmerized by your overwhelmingly positive attitude.

What do you do in your free time, put kittens and puppies in a burlap bag and throw them into a river?
Love animals, own 3 huskies, 1 of which is a 4 month old puppy, which as sleep deprivation sets in could lead to even more positive posts.

JJ in a burlap bag however

Closed Thread