HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

Can't deny it anymore.

Old
09-08-2017, 11:31 AM
BruinDust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umphreys Mcgee View Post
see i feel the same but for a different reason. when it was about gm franchise was when the series was at its peak. it is crazy the amount of depth the franchise mode had several years ago that aren't there now. they stripped the mode(and in NHL 15s case didn't even bother to include it) and they stopped caring about franchise mode on the next gen systems. Now it's all about online play with HUT. I just don't get any enjoyment in online play because there are so many players that just aren't fun to play against in hut. same with eashl, it is almost impossible to find a game where everyone on the ice is playing the game right instead of skating all around like a chicken with its head cut off. id rather play the AI to a relatively realistic game than play a "who can exploit the gameplays weaknesses the best" vs someone online. The biggest problem for me now is just how far behind on basic stuff nhl 17 is in franchise mode compared to Madden and NBA2k. If they didn't make a few significant but basic changes in 18 then I really have no reason to buy the game. I am highly expecting expansion mode to be last years franchise mode with create a team at the beginning. It's funny to me though that Ea has catered strictly to the online crowd the last 5 years and it sounds like the people that were into the online modes have complained about it not improving.
EASHL you really need to be on a club to fully enjoy it. Drop-ins are a total crapshoot, some games are great, others are a nightmare.

HUT from my experience is pretty good until you get to Div 1, then you run into guys who basically use every exploit in the book 2 out of every 3 games. I enjoy HUT as I like building my team slowly over time (never spend cash), and I'll go back to HUT again, just not this year.

Funny, but my favorite GM mode was 2005, it was simple but I really enjoyed it, granted the salary cap wasn't even a thing back then.

But anyone who has NHL 17 and primarily plays GM mode is really wasting their money shelling out for NHL 18.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2017, 12:45 PM
russ99

They badly need to rewrite it with the Frostbite engine.

That NHL 18 is still using the old engine when all the other EA Sports games have taken the plunge is telling.

So it will be tacked on code to the existing game again.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
EASHL you really need to be on a club to fully enjoy it. Drop-ins are a total crapshoot, some games are great, others are a nightmare.

HUT from my experience is pretty good until you get to Div 1, then you run into guys who basically use every exploit in the book 2 out of every 3 games. I enjoy HUT as I like building my team slowly over time (never spend cash), and I'll go back to HUT again, just not this year.

Funny, but my favorite GM mode was 2005, it was simple but I really enjoyed it, granted the salary cap wasn't even a thing back then.

But anyone who has NHL 17 and primarily plays GM mode is really wasting their money shelling out for NHL 18.
I guess it's how you look at it. A person shelling out for the new game who only plays GM who isn't hyper nit picky & salty about it being only minor upgrades who will enjoy it enough to play 60+ hours is still getting their money's worth out of it imo (even if you don't think it's worth it to you personally).
It's been this way forever unfortunately, even 2005 or any game of that era as the situation wasn't much different (minor tweaks between years) yet some will be able to look on it more fondly now that there is so much time between the release of those older games and now so people forget the situation was the same and aren't as sour about it as they are about current games.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Fluke Schenn

Anyone who has played know if the added any new names to the play by play call? Small detail to some, but a big one for me. If there isn't enough relevant adds that's the nail in the coffin for me buying this game on sale or not.

Fluke Schenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 03:30 PM
GOilers88

Still the same ****** emerick lines. He has to be the worst commentator ever. I don't know how he got the gig for the game. He says the most ridiculous **** that doesn't even pertain to games.

GOilers88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Fluke Schenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOilers88 View Post
Still the same ****** emerick lines. He has to be the worst commentator ever. I don't know how he got the gig for the game. He says the most ridiculous **** that doesn't even pertain to games.
You probably weren't replying to me - but while I know it's still Doc and Ed, did they add names that they actually say? So many exceptional players aren't included - like say Laine/Ehlers/Marner/Matthews/etc.

Fluke Schenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 10:03 PM
mjtm777

How's the gameplay? Same recycled garbage? Or is it worth buying

mjtm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Jumahuma
Rookie User

I like this years NHL. Yes it's kind of same same but different. But I like hockey, and this is so far best you can get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELOQiSrX5Ls&t

Last edited by Jumahuma: 09-24-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Jumahuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Rebels57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOilers88 View Post
Yup. Worst in the biz. Pure ear cancer.

Rebels57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:50 PM
Persona5

The issue I have with the series is if you compare it to the other top sports games it fails at an epic level. If you have played HUT this year or any of the previous years it has some draw. They have made little improvements over the years to what it offers. It remains very much pay to win at an alarming level though. You can make a competitive team eventually without spending hundreds or even thousands but it will take up so much time to get there that you will likely be board of the game by them.

Compare HUT to MLB the shows version or Madden and you will see what I am talking about. While all of these kinds of modes are money grabs to an extent there are far more options and so much more to do in the MLB/Madden versions it isn't even worth comparing. I really do wish the guys at EA would work together more on these separate IP's. It would do wonders for their Hockey series to go the route of madden when it comes to this mode.

The next issue I have is gameplay starts out every year so poorly that it is almost unplayable. I really only purchased 18 because of EASHL this year. The gameplay once they worked on it a bit last year was solid. Not perfect but solid. Why is it that they put 18 out and it isn't even remotely close to that level of gameplay? Sad to say I'm not sure I'll be purchasing next year’s version unless they make some major changes.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote