HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Traverse City - 2017

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2017, 05:57 PM
  #501
Ranksu
Crotch Academy ftw
 
Ranksu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lapland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggySmalls View Post
I might be the only one but seeing Thompson is like watching Bergie when he was young. Possession heavy player with a great shot.

Nice job Helt.
Im happy If Thompson develope to Berglund 2.0, I'll get my whipping boy. 😁

Ranksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 06:41 PM
  #502
Parayko Physics
Trap = 4 letter word
 
Parayko Physics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lou 'n I'm proud
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 500
Is there a way to watch replays? Had no idea the game was this early.

Parayko Physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 07:40 PM
  #503
Stopsight
Registered User
 
Stopsight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parayko Physics View Post
Is there a way to watch replays? Had no idea the game was this early.
Blues posted all teh goals on their twitter

Stopsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
  #504
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid
 
The Note in Ky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Muskegon, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Unfortunately no replays. I missed game one. Spent an hour trying to find bootleg or other avenues and no dice.

Here's to hoping the preseason games are streamed.

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 09:35 PM
  #505
thigpen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
It would be nice to know the tourney's standings points structure. The Blues will finish the tourney with a 3-1 record while teams finishing ahead of them in the standings will have 2-2 records (after they lose in tonight's games). Brilliant. Not that important but this bush league stuff makes me irritable and you can tell Jax wasn't happy about it in his post game comments.

Thompson was dominant again but IMO still needs to get his full coordination going and improve his stamina before he's ready for an NHL spot. But that's still pretty damn impressive considering that no-one had a good handle on what his development curve was prior to this tourney. A remaining question is, what is his ceiling? Is it Bergy 2.0 or a poor man's Getzlaf?

Thomas will be a gem when he gets to the big club. Blues need guys who can play at a very high level with speed like he can. Very nice pick.

So glad the tourney was broadcast, albeit minimally, this year. I was lucky enough to catch all the games.

thigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 09:40 PM
  #506
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid
 
The Note in Ky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Muskegon, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thigpen View Post
It would be nice to know the tourney's standings points structure. The Blues will finish the tourney with a 3-1 record while teams finishing ahead of them in the standings will have 2-2 records (after they lose in tonight's games). Brilliant. Not that important but this bush league stuff makes me irritable and you can tell Jax wasn't happy about it in his post game comments.

Thompson was dominant again but IMO still needs to get his full coordination going and improve his stamina before he's ready for an NHL spot. But that's still pretty damn impressive considering that no-one had a good handle on what his development curve was prior to this tourney. A remaining question is, what is his ceiling? Is it Bergy 2.0 or a poor man's Getzlaf?

Thomas will be a gem when he gets to the big club. Blues need guys who can play at a very high level with speed like he can. Very nice pick.

So glad the tourney was broadcast, albeit minimally, this year. I was lucky enough to catch all the games.
I think Thompson has better hands, and he seems to have more of a motor than the bergy we know. Plus I think he has a better shot. If he amounts to anything near Getzlaf then we have ourselves a gem for sure. He certainly can skate well for 6'5". Have to see if he can get that playmaking part of his game, which I think is least likely to happen.

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 09:42 PM
  #507
Celtic Note
Ugly as Sin
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thigpen View Post
It would be nice to know the tourney's standings points structure. The Blues will finish the tourney with a 3-1 record while teams finishing ahead of them in the standings will have 2-2 records (after they lose in tonight's games). Brilliant. Not that important but this bush league stuff makes me irritable and you can tell Jax wasn't happy about it in his post game comments.

Thompson was dominant again but IMO still needs to get his full coordination going and improve his stamina before he's ready for an NHL spot. But that's still pretty damn impressive considering that no-one had a good handle on what his development curve was prior to this tourney. A remaining question is, what is his ceiling? Is it Bergy 2.0 or a poor man's Getzlaf?

Thomas will be a gem when he gets to the big club. Blues need guys who can play at a very high level with speed like he can. Very nice pick.

So glad the tourney was broadcast, albeit minimally, this year. I was lucky enough to catch all the games.
Maybe a bit lower version of Neal for Thompson?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 09:58 PM
  #508
thigpen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
TT has a great shot like Neal but I think has better stick handling and defense, which gives him an outside shot at becoming an NHL centerman. Like Ky said, his playmaking isn't elite, so Malkin he is not, but he certainly has 2RW or 3C potential, at the least. If he can improve his skating nimbleness, he'll be a monster.

thigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 11:04 PM
  #509
LetsGoBooze
Suplex N Score
 
LetsGoBooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
Kinda surprised Kyrou didnt stand out more. I only saw parts of the 2nd game but based on this entire thread he didnt have much 'wow'.

LetsGoBooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 11:08 PM
  #510
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBooze View Post
Kinda surprised Kyrou didnt stand out more. I only saw parts of the 2nd game but based on this entire thread he didnt have much 'wow'.
I only saw a couple games, but he had nice flashes. He was often noticeable, but was just inconsistent and tried to do a little too much at times. Not in a selfish or exceptionally bad way, but his game appears to be pretty unrefined.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 11:23 PM
  #511
Dbrownss
Registered User
 
Dbrownss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thigpen View Post
It would be nice to know the tourney's standings points structure. The Blues will finish the tourney with a 3-1 record while teams finishing ahead of them in the standings will have 2-2 records (after they lose in tonight's games). Brilliant. Not that important but this bush league stuff makes me irritable and you can tell Jax wasn't happy about it in his post game comments.

Thompson was dominant again but IMO still needs to get his full coordination going and improve his stamina before he's ready for an NHL spot. But that's still pretty damn impressive considering that no-one had a good handle on what his development curve was prior to this tourney. A remaining question is, what is his ceiling? Is it Bergy 2.0 or a poor man's Getzlaf?

Thomas will be a gem when he gets to the big club. Blues need guys who can play at a very high level with speed like he can. Very nice pick.

So glad the tourney was broadcast, albeit minimally, this year. I was lucky enough to catch all the games.
Its the size+shot+hands that make me think of Getzlaf too. Just playstyle and size comparison. Id happily take half a Getzlaf in Thompson

Dbrownss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 06:03 AM
  #512
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid
 
The Note in Ky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Muskegon, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBooze View Post
Kinda surprised Kyrou didnt stand out more. I only saw parts of the 2nd game but based on this entire thread he didnt have much 'wow'.
Kyrou got dumped into the boards in the early stages of game 3 and didn't return he also was scratched for the final game. No word on if he's injured or they were following precautions.

Ultimately he definitely didn't wow in his time on the ice but he did have some nice plays and showed his quickness a few times.

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
  #513
Ranksu
Crotch Academy ftw
 
Ranksu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lapland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
Jeesus what is this injury thing. Our players all the get injured so easily.

Ranksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 08:06 AM
  #514
Ranksu
Crotch Academy ftw
 
Ranksu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lapland
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
How did Mikkola played last night and what about is there anything good with Sergeev? Shame that guy has fall.

Ranksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:05 AM
  #515
MissouriMook
A Mook Among Men
 
MissouriMook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBooze View Post
Kinda surprised Kyrou didnt stand out more. I only saw parts of the 2nd game but based on this entire thread he didnt have much 'wow'.
His set up of Vannelli for the GW-OT-G against Dallas was an NHL move. Did a great job of drawing coverage and sent a perfect pass to a wide open playing moving up the slot. Good finish but an exceptionally good setup. Assuming he wasn't banged up too bad in the third game, he'll do just fine in main camp. There is still a lot to like there.

MissouriMook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:25 AM
  #516
Blanick
Winter is coming
 
Blanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 7,810
vCash: 500
Yeah Kyrou was outshined by others at this tourney but I would say he was far from a disappointment. I would put him in the 2nd tier with players like Kostin and Musil and Toropchenko.

In case you were wondering.. The top tier was Walman, Thompson and Thomas.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:57 AM
  #517
Itsnotatrap
Registered User
 
Itsnotatrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
How was Kaspick? Interesting to see some positive mentions of Bourque. What did you see that caught your attention?

Itsnotatrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 10:24 AM
  #518
MortiestOfMortys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Through yesterday, Kostin, Thomas, and Necas were the only 18 year olds in the tournament with at least 5 points. It's so hard to separate yourself from the pack in a 4-game tournament, and it's obviously a very small sample size and everything, but I'd say Necas is pretty good company for those two to be in. Most of the other top scorers in this tourney so far are 20+, so for Thomas and Kostin to be holding their own (and looking great in the process) against older competition bodes well.

I remember in the draft thread that a lot of people were advocating using both of our firsts to move up and take a player like Necas or Suzuki, but I think our approach worked out about as well as it possibly could have. To have two 18 year olds performing at this level is something to be really excited about, imo.

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
  #519
MortiestOfMortys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnotatrap View Post
How was Kaspick? Interesting to see some positive mentions of Bourque. What did you see that caught your attention?
Bourque was as advertised. Smooth skating, good breakouts, threw his weight around a little, kept the puck out of danger under pressure for the most part. Kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot, but everything else seems to be in a good spot.

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 10:27 AM
  #520
MortiestOfMortys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranksu View Post
How did Mikkola played last night and what about is there anything good with Sergeev? Shame that guy has fall.
I'm not sure if he got injured or what, but Sergeev hasn't played since the first game.

Mikkola looked solid again yesterday, his skating is very reminiscent of Parayko. He's a tough guy to beat his own zone.

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 11:48 AM
  #521
Dbrownss
Registered User
 
Dbrownss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortiestOfMortys View Post
Through yesterday, Kostin, Thomas, and Necas were the only 18 year olds in the tournament with at least 5 points. It's so hard to separate yourself from the pack in a 4-game tournament, and it's obviously a very small sample size and everything, but I'd say Necas is pretty good company for those two to be in. Most of the other top scorers in this tourney so far are 20+, so for Thomas and Kostin to be holding their own (and looking great in the process) against older competition bodes well.

I remember in the draft thread that a lot of people were advocating using both of our firsts to move up and take a player like Necas or Suzuki, but I think our approach worked out about as well as it possibly could have. To have two 18 year olds performing at this level is something to be really excited about, imo.
The drafting was slightly muddier given the trades but I'll take Schenn, Thomas and Kostin over a single higher pick. Did we ever find out who the Blues were targeting higher up?

After watching Thomas....i think this kid is going to be Fabbri 2.0 in NHL readiness.

Dbrownss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 11:55 AM
  #522
MissouriMook
A Mook Among Men
 
MissouriMook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrownss View Post
...

After watching Thomas....i think this kid is going to be Fabbri 2.0 in NHL readiness.
I think he definitely has NHL skill, but I'm not sure he's physically ready. By contrast, Fabbri had a legitimate shot to make the team out of camp in 2014, but I don't see anyway Thomas isn't sent back to London unless he has a near-McDavid-like impact during the pre-season games.

I look for him to go back to the OHL and put up big numbers, and show what he has at the pro level in the AHL after his junior season is over. Depending on how his year progresses, I could definitely see him making the team in 2018 out of camp.

MissouriMook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:01 PM
  #523
MortiestOfMortys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrownss View Post
The drafting was slightly muddier given the trades but I'll take Schenn, Thomas and Kostin over a single higher pick. Did we ever find out who the Blues were targeting higher up?

After watching Thomas....i think this kid is going to be Fabbri 2.0 in NHL readiness.
I'm not even sure we ever found out for sure that we were trying to move up. I definitely could have seen us going after Rasmussen or Suzuki, and I'm sure we would have been thrilled to get Vilardi at 11. The way picks 14-19 fell went almost perfectly for us though. That run of 5 straight defensemen followed by San Jose taking Norris (thank god) dropped Thomas right in our laps. And then the stuff at the end of the round was just shrewd maneuvering. I absolutely agree, I'll take Schenn, Kostin, and Thomas over any of those early-teens players by themselves.

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:11 PM
  #524
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid
 
The Note in Ky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Muskegon, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriMook View Post
I think he definitely has NHL skill, but I'm not sure he's physically ready. By contrast, Fabbri had a legitimate shot to make the team out of camp in 2014, but I don't see anyway Thomas isn't sent back to London unless he has a near-McDavid-like impact during the pre-season games.

I look for him to go back to the OHL and put up big numbers, and show what he has at the pro level in the AHL after his junior season is over. Depending on how his year progresses, I could definitely see him making the team in 2018 out of camp.
Did fabbri not spend a year in Guelph after being drafted? Then he came into camp DY+1 in 15/16 and made the team. Correct.

The Note in Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:18 PM
  #525
Splatter
Registered User
 
Splatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrownss View Post
The drafting was slightly muddier given the trades but I'll take Schenn, Thomas and Kostin over a single higher pick. Did we ever find out who the Blues were targeting higher up?
It was somebody that went higher than expected. I'm thinking it was Lias Andersson.

Splatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.