HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Latest Pastrnak offer $6m x 7 years (Mod Warning: 326)

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2017, 02:09 PM
BHD
Three-peat

vCash: 500
Here's a reminder of the rules. Consider this your warning.

Last edited by BHD: 09-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old
09-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Flair Hay

So many people here still want to pay a guy based off of what a guy has done and not what he will do for you going forward.

Old
09-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryampled View Post
How many points would he have if not playing with Marchand/Bergeron?

Washed up Loui Eriksson scored 63 points with them.

Bruins better be careful here..
Considering he played with Krejci and whoever happened to be our 2nd line LW for half of the year, probably just as much.

Old
09-10-2017, 07:32 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LightAM View Post
Ask the 16 teams that didn't make it...

Any playoffs hockey is good to me.
You realize nobody disputed the notion playoff hockey was good.

What was questioned was using the term "playoff run" to describe a team losing in the first round.

But then again, this is the franchise that had rings made for the team after they lost in the Semi-Final one year, so I suppose anything goes.

Old
09-10-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
So many people here still want to pay a guy based off of what a guy has done and not what he will do for you going forward.
The thing is that you need to see what a guy can do first before you can predict what he can do in the future. This isn't just about Pasternak. I think GMs these days are handing big second contracts like candy. I much prefer to see players prove themselves before earning the big contracts.

Old
09-10-2017, 08:17 PM
McRpro
Call the rulebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
The thing is that you need to see what a guy can do first before you can predict what he can do in the future. This isn't just about Pasternak. I think GMs these days are handing big second contracts like candy. I much prefer to see players prove themselves before earning the big contracts.
Sure but the problem is if Pasta proves even more next season his price will only go up.

Old
09-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
100% agreed.

Old
09-11-2017, 09:50 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Probabaly because you can know what a guy has done for certain and you can't know what he'll do for the next 7 years with any certainty at all. Especially a guy like Pasta who just took a huge step last year.

Old
09-11-2017, 09:55 AM
KrejciMVP

Lock up Pasta for the price we need to, get rid of the dead weight like Beleskey Backes, and a few Dmen which hurt the cap.

Old
09-11-2017, 10:00 AM
topshelf15

Thinking the league needs a cap on second contracts,Boston is wise not to just blindly through huge term and money.

Old
09-11-2017, 10:04 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
Thinking the league needs a cap on second contracts,Boston is wise not to just blindly through huge term and money.
Doubt the players union goes for that. Not all RFA's will get long term deals but its smart to lock up your talented young players like Pasta to long contracts instead of losing them after a bridge deal. Talent will always get paid.

Old
09-11-2017, 10:13 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Doubt the players union goes for that. Not all RFA's will get long term deals but its smart to lock up your talented young players like Pasta to long contracts instead of losing them after a bridge deal. Talent will always get paid.
I think Pasta is the real deal also,but i can understand Boston,s managment .Taking their time to make sure they get it right.

As for the cap on second contracts,I never thought I would see. An actual salary cap in place ,so you never know

Old
09-11-2017, 03:46 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

An extended ELC ?

Old
09-11-2017, 04:01 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
They have to pay him, without him they get very thin very fast up front

Old
09-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I think it's dumb that the league negotiated 7 years~ of team control for young players and then the gms refuse to take advantage of those team controlled years and give out market value for players with 4 more team controlled years just to buy players out of 3-4 years of unrestricted free agency. Draisatl for example got 8.5 over 8. Let's say they got him for 4x5 of team control and then had to pay him 10.5 in 4 years as long as after those 4 he was still really good/better. That's 20m of team controlled (i.e affordable/team friendly) years. And then full market value for an unrestricted player. Then they lose 2.5 over the next 4 so that's 42 million instead of the 34 they are paying him with his current contract. That's an 8 year 62 million dollar deal for a player which is under 8 per year over the 8. So unless they think draisatl will be worth like 12 million+ in 4 years why would they have done this? Why not play hardball with the player that you control? Now when he's unrestricted at age 30 he'll be in a worse spot to make the true unrestricted veteran NHL player dollars because he got paid at 22. So why should a player with 3 years of service time be making more than a guy with 7-9? Doesn't make any sense.

So why should pastrnak get 8 million or 7.5 million when he can't go anywhere else? Give him 6x7 or 5x6 and just wait. If someone wants to go crazy and offer sheet him then match and keep him at whatever the cost (up to like 8m) but if there is no one offering him money and the Bruins are the only ones negotiating then why fold just because some other gm decided to make a mockery of the cba doesn't mean the Boston gm should follow suit

Old
09-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Lurch

Not sure why you think it is ok to force someone to work for less than their value for 7 years. They put in 3 years of extremely underpaid service then have extremely limited leverage after that. If someone is worth the money, pay them. If I had the same arrangement and my employer took advantage of me in this way, I would be out the door the minute I hit UFA no matter what they offered. Respect is a 2-way street.

Old
09-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Not sure why you think it is ok to force someone to work for less than their value for 7 years. They put in 3 years of extremely underpaid service then have extremely limited leverage after that. If someone is worth the money, pay them. If I had the same arrangement and my employer took advantage of me in this way, I would be out the door the minute I hit UFA no matter what they offered. Respect is a 2-way street.
both in unions (which the nhl is)
and
in entertainment (which the nhl is)

name value gets paid more
guys who paid their dues get paid more

at my job which is neither union nor entertainment... people with senority have more raises then people with starting wage

its pretty common in the world that people with experience get paid more than kids

Old
09-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
I think it's dumb that the league negotiated 7 years~ of team control for young players and then the gms refuse to take advantage of those team controlled years and give out market value for players with 4 more team controlled years just to buy players out of 3-4 years of unrestricted free agency. Draisatl for example got 8.5 over 8. Let's say they got him for 4x5 of team control and then had to pay him 10.5 in 4 years as long as after those 4 he was still really good/better. That's 20m of team controlled (i.e affordable/team friendly) years. And then full market value for an unrestricted player. Then they lose 2.5 over the next 4 so that's 42 million instead of the 34 they are paying him with his current contract. That's an 8 year 62 million dollar deal for a player which is under 8 per year over the 8. So unless they think draisatl will be worth like 12 million+ in 4 years why would they have done this? Why not play hardball with the player that you control? Now when he's unrestricted at age 30 he'll be in a worse spot to make the true unrestricted veteran NHL player dollars because he got paid at 22. So why should a player with 3 years of service time be making more than a guy with 7-9? Doesn't make any sense.

So why should pastrnak get 8 million or 7.5 million when he can't go anywhere else? Give him 6x7 or 5x6 and just wait. If someone wants to go crazy and offer sheet him then match and keep him at whatever the cost (up to like 8m) but if there is no one offering him money and the Bruins are the only ones negotiating then why fold just because some other gm decided to make a mockery of the cba doesn't mean the Boston gm should follow suit
This is most likely what will happen. Pasternak holds out and they agree on a bridge. He does well for two years, he's more proven and Bruins pay him more than they will now.

Just saying if you know what you have, smart GMs lock their young first liners up as fast and cheap as possible.

Old
09-12-2017, 08:38 AM
treebugger

Quote:
Disagree on the need to cap second contracts. Historically those have been the best value deals (outside of superstars producing in their ELC years) for the teams. It's the third contracts for players in their late 20s and early 30s that cause far more headaches. I guess it's the old school mentality around hockey where good gritty character guys deserve to be grossly overpaid while the youths need to learn their place while outproducing almost everyone on their team.

Last edited by treebugger: 09-12-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old
09-12-2017, 09:25 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
What a player will do going forward is difficult to predict when you have minimal history for reference. Dude is a long way from proving to be worth star money.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:00 AM
wintersej

Pasta has 4 years of RFA left. If the RFA years are Kucherov level pay, about 5 million, that means you are valuing the UFA years at 11 million if you give him an 8/8 deal. 11 million for the UFA years seems a tad high, no?

Old
09-13-2017, 09:57 AM
JojoTheWhale

If you're going to compare every potential contract to one of the biggest non-ELC bargains in hockey, almost all are going to come in a tad high. You need a bigger sample size than one, especially that one in particular.

Old
09-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersej View Post
Pasta has 4 years of RFA left. If the RFA years are Kucherov level pay, about 5 million, that means you are valuing the UFA years at 11 million if you give him an 8/8 deal. 11 million for the UFA years seems a tad high, no?
8x8 is absolutely off the table. Your reasons are spot on. In addition, I would say Draisaitl is both overpaid and a better player by a wide margin. Draisaitl is to Edmonton what Malkin is to Pittsburgh. He can anchor a line by himself. Pastrnak is awesome, but if he were put with two scrubs his stat line would be more like 23-28-51.

7x7 or 7x8 is the max for Pastrnak. Not a penny over. And I wouldn't trade him either. If he doesn't take it, he can **** away his life in Russia.

Old
09-13-2017, 10:26 AM
ThePhoenixx

It's starting to enter the territory where Pastrnak looks at his 4 years RFA and he's outta there. Just like Johnny Hockey was pissed off at the Flames.

I find this sad because before the Oilers came along the Bruins were my favorite team.

Old
09-13-2017, 02:43 PM
mymerlincat

Closed Thread