Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Champions League Game Day 1

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Albatros
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Asensio injured himself shaving his legs and will not be playing today. I have the feeling that his fellow players will not forget that one very soon.

Old
09-13-2017, 06:52 AM
ScottishCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo View Post
I almost want UEFA to eliminate the group stages. Knockouts from day 1. Home and away legs. Match the teams up with the UEFA club coefficient or whatever they use to rate the clubs. It's pretty clear which teams will advance to the group stages anyway. I don't see the reason for us to watch teams beat up on the Qarabag's of the world 6 times. It would be more interesting.
Because the world doesn't revolve around the teams with the most money, although it's starting to seem that way.

I see more comments like this from North America than anywhere else.

Old
09-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatros View Post
Asensio injured himself shaving his legs and will not be playing today. I have the feeling that his fellow players will not forget that one very soon.
Came here to post this

Old
09-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Asensio

So hyped for the game today! Let's gooooo.

Also very interested in the Leipzig game.

Old
09-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Ceremony
then I woke up.

I find it interesting that the people (North American or otherwise, although that continent's legacy as having four sports leagues that are comfortably the highest quality and generate the most revenue (and in particular with this board the NHL which has more legitimate competition for players than any other major league in NA) will naturally contribute to the mindset) who complain about uncompetitive matches at this stage want them removed at the expense of the non-contending teams because of a perceived gulf in quality when the exclusivity of the Champions League format is the largest contributing factor to the phenomenon.

09-13-2017, 08:04 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Valverde still needs to sort out the positioning up front. If Messi is going to play more centrally, then he can "drift" there from the right. Once again the right side of the pitch was overloaded and the left side was wide open. Get Dembele out left and Messi can "drift" in from the right. Semedo can cover the right. Otherwise come up with another formation like a 4-2-3-1 and put Deulofeu out right and Dembele out left. I’d just slot Dembele out left with the current formation, but either way get him out left.

Still liking Semedo.

Nice match from Rakitic.

Messi.
Rakitic looks rejuvenated, as are Iniesta and Busquets now that there's way more of an emphasis in midfield play. Read one stat that highlighted Rakitic having as many touches yesterday as he had in both legs vs Juve last season.

Old
09-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Luigi Habs
Captain Saku

Quote:
I wonder why this was made public

Old
09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Habs View Post
I wonder why this was made public
One of his teammates definitely leaked it because it's so goddamn funny.

Old
09-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Deficient Mode
Sign Jagr please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I find it interesting that the people (North American or otherwise, although that continent's legacy as having four sports leagues that are comfortably the highest quality and generate the most revenue (and in particular with this board the NHL which has more legitimate competition for players than any other major league in NA) will naturally contribute to the mindset) who complain about uncompetitive matches at this stage want them removed at the expense of the non-contending teams because of a perceived gulf in quality when the exclusivity of the Champions League format is the largest contributing factor to the phenomenon.
The order of parentheses in this post gave me a headache. Otherwise I agree.

Old
09-13-2017, 10:53 AM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Quote:
The champions of Azerbaijan (hence the Champions League).

It is their fourth straight year in the group stage of the European competitions (so far 4 wins, 5 draws, and 9 losses). Only twice have they lost by more than two goals until now. If anything the Champions League needs more teams like Qarabağ and less 4th placed teams, some of whom have never won the title.
I know you're trying to use Arsenal as an example for 4th place and all of that, but I actually agree with you. Of course if Arsenal played this Qarabag team they would annihilate them the same way Chelsea did, but 4th places should not be deserve a CL spot in how the tournament is setup now.

Honestly it should just be the winners of their leagues or Edo's idea and use UEFA coefficient system to rank the top 32 teams in a 64 spot tournament and have CL qualifying games to determine the second half of the 32 teams. Then you'll randomly draw the top 32 against the qualified 32 and play knock games (home and away leg) for every stage until the Finals where it would be a single game. In this way we get rid of the Europa league, teams like Qarabag who would have never made it except if they win, and the lower teams can still make a profit if they get Real Madrid as a host.

Old
09-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Edo
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCanuck View Post
Because the world doesn't revolve around the teams with the most money, although it's starting to seem that way.

I see more comments like this from North America than anywhere else.
I have no issue with small clubs from Europe making it to the champions league. I just don't see the need of group stages with the top 2 teams being all but pre determined. I can't see anybody disagreeing with me that knockouts from day 1 would be more exciting + interesting.

I was never old enough to watch it with the old format, but I can't see there being any negatives. I suppose that UEFA and the clubs losing money would always hold back change.

Old
09-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Savant

Liverpool going with:

Karius, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Firmino, Salah, Gomez, Henderson, Moreno, Mane, Can, Matip

Coutinho is on the bench.

a.k.a. The lineup they should have played vs City.

Last edited by Savant: 09-13-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old
09-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Savant

Ederson is starting for Man City.

Old
09-13-2017, 12:46 PM
TopKex
börk börk

Spurs: Lloris, Aurier (debut), Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Kane.

Old
09-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Liverpool going with:

Karius, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Firmino, Salah, Gomez, Henderson, Moreno, Mane, Can, Matip

Coutinho is on the bench.

a.k.a. The lineup they should have played vs City.
Still not sure why Moreno keeps starting over Robertson...Robertson was top 3 in the one game he played for us. Otherwise looks good. Would like to see Chambo get significant minutes, though I'd guess he's being saved for Mane's ban.

Old
09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
The order of parentheses in this post gave me a headache. Otherwise I agree.
Yeah, I first had to check whether all parentheses close, otherwise my OCB would've triggered

Old
09-13-2017, 12:56 PM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKex View Post
Spurs: Lloris, Aurier (debut), Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Kane.
I knew they would break out Aurier today.

2-1 Spurs.

Kane scores both.

Can't WAIT.

09-13-2017, 01:00 PM
TopKex
börk börk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
I knew they would break out Aurier today.

2-1 Spurs.

Kane scores both.

Can't WAIT.
I got my money on Son "Bee Keeper" Heung-Min.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Bure80

Dortmund: Bürki-Piszczek-Sokratis-Toprak-Toljan-Dahoud-Sahin-Kagawa-Yarmolenko-Pulisic-Auba

Very surprising. I like Kagawa for Götze and im exited for Yarmolenko.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:07 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Mo's starting? Guess that's what I'm watching

...especially after seeing the RB lineup. Demme, Ilsanker & Poulsen starting, with Kampl, Laimer & Augustin on the bench, eww. They should have developed a 3-4-1-2/3-4-2-1/3-4-3:

Werner
Sabitzer - Augustin
Forsberg - Laimer - Kampl - Bruma
Upamecano - Orban - Klostermann

Old
09-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtinho View Post
Still not sure why Moreno keeps starting over Robertson...Robertson was top 3 in the one game he played for us. Otherwise looks good. Would like to see Chambo get significant minutes, though I'd guess he's being saved for Mane's ban.
The reason why is because Robertson is unaccustomed to playing in a team that systematically presses like Klopp's does.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure80 View Post
Dortmund: Bürki-Piszczek-Sokratis-Toprak-Toljan-Dahoud-Sahin-Kagawa-Yarmolenko-Pulisic-Auba

Very surprising. I like Kagawa for Götze and im exited for Yarmolenko.
Why? Goetze has been great so far this season, but I don't fault Bosz, he's been managing Goetze's minutes early on, subbed him out early in every match so far, and this is the first midweek match. Kagawa's in good form since the beginning of 2017, so he's not a bad replacement, but I don't see how it helps. Otherwise, looks pretty good. I've been called for the Dahoud in for Castro switch, Toljan at LB is logical and given the start to the season for Philipp, I wanted to see Yarmo get a chance. I would've had Zagadou in there instead of Sokratis, but I also have not liked Sokratis form for a while now. Weigl made the trip for the match, but didn't dress for the match, maybe they are just being safe, and we'll see him over the weekend.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Bure80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
Why? Goetze has been great so far this season, but I don't fault Bosz, he's been managing Goetze's minutes early on, subbed him out early in every match so far, and this is the first midweek match.
I was a big Götze fan. Im still not that impressed. He is by far not the old one.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The reason why is because Robertson is unaccustomed to playing in a team that systematically presses like Klopp's does.
He did just fine with it before, and Moreno is still a liability defensively. That said he's not been awful this season so hopefully he plays well today.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Luigi Habs
Captain Saku

I think i'll watch RBL vs Monaco. 2 young and exciting teams.

Closed Thread