HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Washington Defense Prospects

Old
09-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Kcoyote3

vCash: 500
Washington Defense Prospects

Alright so Washington fans, how would you rank the following/what would you be looking for in a return for any of them?

Lucas Johansen
Christian Djoos
Madison Bowey
Connor Hobbs
Jonas Siegenthaler

Also, as an aside, how did a team that generally is competing constantly and trading away picks assemble such a good cast of defense prospects?

Kcoyote3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoyote3 View Post
Alright so Washington fans, how would you rank the following/what would you be looking for in a return for any of them?

Lucas Johansen
Christian Djoos
Madison Bowey
Connor Hobbs
Jonas Siegenthaler

Also, as an aside, how did a team that generally is competing constantly and trading away picks assemble such a good cast of defense prospects?
We need to keep as many D prospects as possible, ideally all of them. It's a position of need, we just lost Alzner, Schmidt and Shattenkirk in one summer. There's open roster spots for at least two of them this year, plus one more if we can ditch Orpik next summer.

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 10:44 AM
DominicBoltsFan
Hockey season, baby!

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
We need to keep as many D prospects as possible, ideally all of them. It's a position of need, we just lost Alzner, Schmidt and Shattenkirk in one summer. There's open roster spots for at least two of them this year, plus one more if we can ditch Orpik next summer.
who do you think makes the team? djoos and bowey?

DominicBoltsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 11:00 AM
hockeykicker

Why are we trading any? It's not like we can take back any contracts

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 11:01 AM
MortiestOfMortys

Blues fan that would be very interested in bringing Bowey aboard. While we're at it, send Copley back our way, you can have him back after Christmas, as is tradition.

MortiestOfMortys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:26 PM
BleedBlue14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortiestOfMortys View Post
Blues fan that would be very interested in bringing Bowey aboard. While we're at it, send Copley back our way, you can have him back after Christmas, as is tradition.
yes more Copley swaps please

Iirc Copley was actually pretty solid last year

BleedBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:35 PM
SherVaughn30

I'm a Caps fan, and I would only trade one of those D prospects if I were offering a package deal in trading for Doughty.

SherVaughn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

The only defenseman I could see being traded at this juncture is Djoos. If he fails to secure a spot on the team, he will likely be moved for something given that he has to pass through waivers. In that scenario, I doubt they'd get more than a 3rd round pick for him.

Otherwise they're going to hang onto their defense prospects, given that they have plenty of openings in the defense over the next few years to fill. They have 2 spots up for grabs as it is now, with Carlson a free agent after this season and Orpik getting up there in age.

Ranked in terms of odds to play in the NHL in 2017-18:
1. Djoos
2. Bowey
3. Johansen
4. Siegenthaler
5. Hobbs

I also don't think this is that great a group of prospects. Almost all of them have some pretty big question marks/concerns. I think Johansen is the safest bet to be a career NHL player, but his upside seems rather limited. I think a best case scenario for him is something like Karl Alzner. Bowey has all the tools, but a combination of hockey IQ, personal maturity, and injury concerns have made his AHL development a little rockier than desired. Djoos is going into a make-or-break season and doesn't have a whole lot more to prove in the AHL, but it remains to be seen if he can cut it in the NHL ranks given his lack of size . Hobbs has demonstrated terrific offensive upside in the WHL, but will need to translate those skills to the pro ranks. His skating stride is pretty awkward looking, too. Siegenthaler impressed seriously at the WJHC, but it's doubtful he will have as much offensive game in the North American pro ranks. Looks to be more of a 2nd or 3rd pairing stay-at-home defenseman.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Caps8112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherVaughn30 View Post
I'm a Caps fan, and I would only trade one of those D prospects if I were offering a package deal in trading for Doughty.
if doughty was actually a possibility of any kind and the kings would take orpik Id give the kings any of the 5 of those propects plus. Winning is the goal not this gradual slide to rebuilding. ovi and backstrom will be gone in just a few years and then mediocrity

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:53 PM
trick9

Better D prospect needs to come back, i highly doubt any team is willing to do that.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicBoltsFan View Post
who do you think makes the team? djoos and bowey?
Most likely, Trotz talked a lot about Djoos in particular. Johansen and Siegenthaler are still raw, I don't if they are ready. Hobbs is a bit of a surprise, but this was his first great year. Hard to tell what he's going to be.

Old
09-13-2017, 01:19 PM
DominicBoltsFan
Hockey season, baby!

vCash: 380
Quote:
Most likely, Trotz talked a lot about Djoos in particular. Johansen and Siegenthaler are still raw, I don't if they are ready. Hobbs is a bit of a surprise, but this was his first great year. Hard to tell what he's going to be.
makes sense.

I was a johansen fan pre-draft so I hope he does well for you guys.

DominicBoltsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
None of these D prospects even get a Doughty conversation started.

Old
09-13-2017, 08:50 PM
txpd

The OP is not asking who among them the Caps will trade. He wants to know after winning a lot and trading picks at the deadline how the Caps got some good d prospects at the same time.

The Caps draft pretty well. Particularly late in the first round. All that said, who knows if any of those guys make the team.

Bowey and Djoos are the most likely but Bowey missed a lot of last season with an injury. 1 might make it to start the season on the 3rd pair with Orpik, but I expect that Chorney will end up getting that spot after 20 games.

With Schmidt gone, someone will get the injury fill in and maybe that will open a door

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 08:55 PM
SherVaughn30

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The OP is not asking who among them the Caps will trade. He wants to know after winning a lot and trading picks at the deadline how the Caps got some good d prospects at the same time.

The Caps draft pretty well. Particularly late in the first round. All that said, who knows if any of those guys make the team.

Bowey and Djoos are the most likely but Bowey missed a lot of last season with an injury. 1 might make it to start the season on the 3rd pair with Orpik, but I expect that Chorney will end up getting that spot after 20 games.

With Schmidt gone, someone will get the injury fill in and maybe that will open a door
It will happen again as Trotz is an idiot. His hand was forced by injuries in the playoffs and that is how the door was opened for Schmidt.

SherVaughn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
DJN21

Who?

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Sam Spade

How they will be ranked by hockey insiders:

Madison Bowey
Lucas Johansen
Christian Djoos
Jonas Siegenthaler
Connor Hobbs

How I would rank them:

Bowey
Johansen
Hobbs
Djoos
Siegenthaler (although he is very much in the Alzner mode. Steady dman who won't wow you but will get the job done.) So maybe the most valuable, if not the most skilled, of them all.

p.s. Don't sleep on Tyler Lewington, who may be a perfect bottom six guy and replace Chorney as a 6/7 next season.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 12:55 PM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
How they will be ranked by hockey insiders:

Madison Bowey
Lucas Johansen
Christian Djoos
Jonas Siegenthaler
Connor Hobbs

How I would rank them:

Bowey
Johansen
Hobbs
Djoos
Siegenthaler (although he is very much in the Alzner mode. Steady dman who won't wow you but will get the job done.) So maybe the most valuable, if not the most skilled, of them all.

p.s. Don't sleep on Tyler Lewington, who may be a perfect bottom six guy and replace Chorney as a 6/7 next season.
I don't think any hockey insiders would have Bowey first at this point. Probably flip Djoos and Bowey.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Jared Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps8112 View Post
if doughty was actually a possibility of any kind and the kings would take orpik Id give the kings any of the 5 of those propects plus. Winning is the goal not this gradual slide to rebuilding. ovi and backstrom will be gone in just a few years and then mediocrity
That plus is going to be ridiculously high... Orpik has almost as much negative value as those prospects do positive...

Jared Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 02:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
It will happen again as Trotz is an idiot. His hand was forced by injuries in the playoffs and that is how the door was opened for Schmidt.
Last season. Trotz gave Sanford the 3LW spot and ran with that with Connolly largely getting scratched. Sanford didn't produce anything and was sent out and Connolly played.

I expect the same here. One of those guys will play with Orpik and Chorney will sit. If that player doesn't establish then Chorney will play.

Schmidt was in the top 6 last season.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Instigator View Post
I don't think any hockey insiders would have Bowey first at this point. Probably flip Djoos and Bowey.
In terms of making the 2017-18 Capitals? Maybe.

In terms of NHL upside, no chance. All of them would have Bowey first, and Djoos rather far down the list. Djoos' ability to succeed in the NHL is very much in question.

Old
09-15-2017, 03:02 PM
AnishLoomba

can the caps get dekeyser with any of these?

AnishLoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishLoomba View Post
can the caps get dekeyser with any of these?
Why would the Caps want DeKeyser and how could they fit him in?

Old
09-15-2017, 04:36 PM
AnishLoomba

Quote:
Why would the Caps want DeKeyser and how could they fit him in?
he's a top-4 dman, something they need, and they could send a contract back

AnishLoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishLoomba View Post
he's a top-4 dman, something they need, and they could send a contract back
I think it would be wiser to get rid of Orpik and try to develop one of the D prospects to fill the top 4. Dumping Orpik is necessary if the Caps want to re-sign Carlson.