HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Old
09-13-2017, 04:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/manziel-forcing-ti...e-him-1.855662

Had no idea that such a window exists. I guess Manziel is finally ready to come to the CFL? Either that or he wants a free trip to another Canadian city.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 05:40 PM
bone
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/manziel-forcing-ti...e-him-1.855662

Had no idea that such a window exists. I guess Manziel is finally ready to come to the CFL? Either that or he wants a free trip to another Canadian city.
Cue the Manziel to Saskatchewan rumors.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 05:59 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
so less concussions but more injuries of every other type once game time hits?

I can understand why they made the rule changes, but not sure if I like them.
at the very least I hope the season starts earlier as it ends far too late already.
Personally I'd take the pulled groin over the traumatic brain damage.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 10:17 PM
MoontoScott

Oh dear, Chapdelaine is out in Montreal and Reed is in. Here come the consequences

MoontoScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

What I find funny is 2 past Esks coaches are now GM and Head Coach of their own teams. Are we a breeding ground for GM/Head Coaches now? Lol.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 07:15 AM
MoontoScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
What I find funny is 2 past Esks coaches are now GM and Head Coach of their own teams. Are we a breeding ground for GM/Head Coaches now? Lol.
I knew it wouldn't take long for Reed to move Chapdelaine out. I always had misgivings about this guy. It didn't take too much time before Montreal became a mess. Surely they could have done better than this dude.

Old
09-14-2017, 08:34 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Nah it's just the CFL they have to recycle everything until people essentially die.

Old
09-14-2017, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
Cue the Manziel to Saskatchewan rumors.
Naylor and Neilsen talked about this today.

Naylor however did say that many believe Manziel would've been a Ti-Cat by labor day if it weren't for the scandal with Briles. He believes that Manziel is ready to get back into the NFL and the only way is through the CFL.

Old
09-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Kyle McMahon

Montreal had to take what they could get. Nobody wants to work for that franchise right now. I mean, the only reason Kavis is GM there is because...wait for it...Danny Boy turned them down! I'm not sure it can really get any worse than that.

I'll echo the thoughts of hoping the season at least starts earlier with this extra bye week. I don't really understand all the trepidation about the possibility that the NHL has a playoff game the same night as a CFL game. There are CFL games at the same time as NFL games, big NCAA games, playoff baseball games, the Olympics, the World Cup...no sport has an exclusive window where they're the only option, they all survive, the CFL is no different.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Montreal had to take what they could get. Nobody wants to work for that franchise right now. I mean, the only reason Kavis is GM there is because...wait for it...Danny Boy turned them down! I'm not sure it can really get any worse than that.

I'll echo the thoughts of hoping the season at least starts earlier with this extra bye week. I don't really understand all the trepidation about the possibility that the NHL has a playoff game the same night as a CFL game. There are CFL games at the same time as NFL games, big NCAA games, playoff baseball games, the Olympics, the World Cup...no sport has an exclusive window where they're the only option, they all survive, the CFL is no different.
The thing is the CFL does have that now and attendance is dropping. Competing even more isn't going to help. I agree they will survive, it will just be something that is going to drop them back. They will have to find a way to counter this. Luckily Ambroise seems half as smart and hopefully he can grow the game.

Old
09-14-2017, 09:11 AM
MoontoScott

Quote:

Too funny but hey couldn't they have taken one of the better quality assistant GM's around the league like the EE did? What about, as an example, Danny Mac in Winnipeg? No way would I have hired Reed.

Old
09-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The thing is the CFL does have that now and attendance is dropping. Competing even more isn't going to help. I agree they will survive, it will just be something that is going to drop them back. They will have to find a way to counter this. Luckily Ambroise seems half as smart and hopefully he can grow the game.
Is attendance actually dropping? I don't really think it is actually. It has dropped at Commonwealth as compared to 15 years ago, but I think it has been pretty steady in the low 30,000s at most games for the last several years at least, with spikes for Sask games and 50/50 carry over games.

Calgary as far as I can tell has similarly dropped from the late 90s/early 00s but has leveled off over the last decade. Winnipeg, Sask, Hamilton, and Ottawa seem to be filling their new buildings just fine. Toronto and BC have issues, but they've always had issues getting people to the stadium, this is nothing new. Montreal has gone from jamming McGill at 18,000 to...still having 18,000 after expanding it to 23,000 (ish?). Disappointing for sure, but not technically a decrease.

One thing that never seems to get much attention is that back in higher attendance early 00s and previous, 7 out of 9 home games were blacked out on TV. Going to the game was usually the only way to watch it. The blackouts ended about 10 years ago, which is also when 55" HD televisions started making their way into people's homes. I don't think this is purely a coincidence.

Old
09-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoontoScott View Post
Too funny but hey couldn't they have taken one of the better quality assistant GM's around the league like the EE did? What about, as an example, Danny Mac in Winnipeg? No way would I have hired Reed.
They might have tried and been told to stuff it. Tom Higgins was a well respected man across the CFL. The manner in which he was fired likely painted the organization and the Wettenhalls in a pretty poor light. Can't imagine anyone with options is lining up to work for the Als these days.

Old
09-14-2017, 09:32 AM
MoontoScott

Quote:
They might have tried and been told to stuff it. Tom Higgins was a well respected man across the CFL. The manner in which he was fired likely painted the organization and the Wettenhalls in a pretty poor light. Can't imagine anyone with options is lining up to work for the Als these days.
I am not sure how well Higgins was respected in the CFL. Ned was shown the door in Edmonton, Calgary and Montreal for a reason. He also exited from the Dinos this past summer on short notice.

Regardless, Montreal isn't doing very well and with Reed around it won't get better anytime soon.

Old
09-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I am not sure how well Higgins was respected in the CFL. Ned was shown the door in Edmonton, Calgary and Montreal for a reason. He also exited from the Dinos this past summer on short notice.

Regardless, Montreal isn't doing very well and with Reed around it won't get better anytime soon.
Higgins the man seems well-respected. Higgins as a football coach is mediocre at best, which is why it eventually didn't work out in Edmonton or Calgary. His firing in Montreal was mid-season though, right out of the blue, and in most people's opinion the team had over-achieved to an extent given their QB situation. And of course it was so that Lou Lamoreillo...er...I mean Jim Popp could take the coaching reigns yet again, despite previous failures in that position. That's just bad form and it's really when things started to go downhill in Montreal IMO.

Old
09-14-2017, 11:15 AM
MoontoScott

Quote:
Higgins the man seems well-respected. Higgins as a football coach is mediocre at best, which is why it eventually didn't work out in Edmonton or Calgary. His firing in Montreal was mid-season though, right out of the blue, and in most people's opinion the team had over-achieved to an extent given their QB situation. And of course it was so that Lou Lamoreillo...er...I mean Jim Popp could take the coaching reigns yet again, despite previous failures in that position. That's just bad form and it's really when things started to go downhill in Montreal IMO.
I definitely agree with you on Jim Poop. In the CFL we just keep recycling these guys and that's why I respect the EE decision to hire Brock. Give some young guys a chance. No where is that more evident than in Hamilton with ET and some of those old buzzards.

Old
09-14-2017, 12:16 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 606
Quote:
Always have been

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 606
Johnny football to the riders That would be funny

Last edited by jumptheshark: 09-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Stoneman89

Naylor brought up an interesting point this morning. If you remove the pads from practices, how do you really know what you have when you bring guys in and only get to see them in basically a non contact version of the game.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 01:34 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Naylor brought up an interesting point this morning. If you remove the pads from practices, how do you really know what you have when you bring guys in and only get to see them in basically a non contact version of the game.
You don't. The other thing is it's not like every day was contact anyways. I think I read pre-season you're allowed contact and then regular season it was like 17 days or something.

Old
09-14-2017, 01:48 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I definitely agree with you on Jim Poop. In the CFL we just keep recycling these guys and that's why I respect the EE decision to hire Brock. Give some young guys a chance. No where is that more evident than in Hamilton with ET and some of those old buzzards.
Well, that's a ****y pun.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 01:55 PM
oilblue

Quote:
Is attendance actually dropping? I don't really think it is actually. It has dropped at Commonwealth as compared to 15 years ago, but I think it has been pretty steady in the low 30,000s at most games for the last several years at least, with spikes for Sask games and 50/50 carry over games.

Calgary as far as I can tell has similarly dropped from the late 90s/early 00s but has leveled off over the last decade. Winnipeg, Sask, Hamilton, and Ottawa seem to be filling their new buildings just fine. Toronto and BC have issues, but they've always had issues getting people to the stadium, this is nothing new. Montreal has gone from jamming McGill at 18,000 to...still having 18,000 after expanding it to 23,000 (ish?). Disappointing for sure, but not technically a decrease.

One thing that never seems to get much attention is that back in higher attendance early 00s and previous, 7 out of 9 home games were blacked out on TV. Going to the game was usually the only way to watch it. The blackouts ended about 10 years ago, which is also when 55" HD televisions started making their way into people's homes. I don't think this is purely a coincidence.
I don't have actual numbers but I can imagine that they must be concerned about the average age of the fan going through the gate. I don't know a lot of people under the age of 35 that actively watch and follow the Eskimos.

oilblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 01:57 PM
MoontoScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
And when you sign a guy to training camp how do you assess his tackling skills? Our D are certainly not great in that dept. I was a good flag football player in high school but I certainly was not real football material.

Old
09-14-2017, 02:57 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
And when you sign a guy to training camp how do you assess his tackling skills? Our D are certainly not great in that dept. I was a good flag football player in high school but I certainly was not real football material.
I could be wrong but I thought pads were still going to be allowed for training camp.

Old
09-16-2017, 09:12 AM
Gord
Batfink!

anyone else just "meh" about today's game?

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote