HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

View Poll Results: Early, but where do you see the Avs finishing after the 2017-18 season (pre-lottery)?
1st overall 13 14.13%
2nd overall 21 22.83%
3rd overall 12 13.04%
4th overall 8 8.70%
5th overall 7 7.61%
6-9th overall 21 22.83%
10-15th overall 4 4.35%
16-31st overall 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-13-2017, 08:34 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He goes a step further and says that there is a gap between the top 2 and then the top 4.

So...
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Tkachuk

And everyone else after that is a crap shoot. Of course a lot can change, but he predicts this draft to be more like 2016 where players comfortably hold their positions instead of last year and all the movement. Surprising that there is only one Finn, one Russians, and zero Suisse. There are some absolutely solid Russian players for that 10th to 20th spot which scouts aren't realising yet IMHO. One of them though sustained something like Hepatitis B or C and is out for half of the year so he might be the next wave of "steal" players.
I'm still so disappointed by that. Kid has the creativity, skill and bravado to be the next Ehlers, Nylander, Necas and get into the top 10...if only his vacation didn't up costing him the next 5 months.

Hopefully we snap up an extra 1st that he falls to if we get our LHD with our 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJost98 View Post
A lot of people on here have been complaining that we lack that true sniper but if he is a prototype of Crosby, McDavid, Eichel, then I would consider him too. Lots of good players in the 1st round, I wish we could get a few more 1st rounders from Isles but that goes into a different thread.
Svetch is Malkin if Malkin was a winger.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 08:37 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

An undersized Russian who was supposed to report to the Q but signed a contract in the KHL and then got gravely sick on top of it. Someone like Nashville will nab him in the 6th round.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 08:46 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
An undersized Russian who was supposed to report to the Q but signed a contract in the KHL and then got gravely sick on top of it. Someone like Nashville will nab him in the 6th round.
Khovanov has too much talent to fall that far. He was arguably the second best Russian talent in this draft before his illness. If he finishes the season as the dynamic talent he has been so far, I don't see how falls more than 20 spots.

Plus he didn't sign a long term KHL deal, so he can come over quickly once drafted

But yeah, he'll be exactly like Kostin/Tolvanen and end up strengthening one of the central playoff teams :-(

Old
09-13-2017, 09:57 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Kotkaniemi with 1+2 for Ässät today (actually yesterday) in the Finnish elite league.
I'm a big, big fan of the kid's skill set. He just has to stay healthy and he will shoot up the rankings.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 11:06 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
For a forward, 5'11" isn't exactly a shrimp, especially going into his draft year where he could still put on an inch. He'll have the Russian factor dropping him, plus the injury/sickness, but even Kostin (also injured and Russian) didn't fall out of the first round.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 12:57 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Kostin being a big guy probably helped bolster his stock through his issues last season, but Khovanov is even more talented so I can't see him falling to much further than Kostin did.

Old
09-15-2017, 02:21 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I'd be willing to wager he won't be a first rounder

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
I'd be willing to wager he won't be a first rounder
With how much more loaded this draft is, you may well be right but I still think he goes in the top 40. Just too much talent if he can get back soon enough to show he's still that same talent.

Old
09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I'm still so disappointed by that. Kid has the creativity, skill and bravado to be the next Ehlers, Nylander, Necas and get into the top 10...if only his vacation didn't up costing him the next 5 months.

Hopefully we snap up an extra 1st that he falls to if we get our LHD with our 1st

Svetch is Malkin if Malkin was a winger.
Is that just your usual man crush on euros, or is that real?

In raw talent Malkin may be the better of the three between him Crosby, and Ovi. Injuries, and inconsistent motivation level have made his career slip behind.

THAT is a lofty comparison.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 04:49 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Malkin is always the player I think of when I see Svech out there. He's got that same blend of deft skill and bullish power that Malkin has.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 07:49 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Is that just your usual man crush on euros, or is that real?

In raw talent Malkin may be the better of the three between him Crosby, and Ovi. Injuries, and inconsistent motivation level have made his career slip behind.

THAT is a lofty comparison.
That was a stylistic comparison. As for the caliber of talent he is...he's the biggest russian talent since Malkin & Ovy. He may not be quite on their level, but he's the top russian prospect since those two.

And I don't man crush on all euros. Even with the guys I do fall in love with, I'm usually pretty conservative with my expectations even when I'll gush about their potential / raw upside. I was all aboard Dubois > Puljujarvi long before CBJ actually made that pick. I didn't rate Gurianov very highly, although he could be a nice 2nd line sniper. I'm not a big Zacha fan. When we got zads I was one of the only people saying he wasn't sure to start the season with the team, and when Mironov got signed I was one of the loudest voices saying that he'll be a nice third pairing guy once he adapts to the small ice, but would never be a top 4 guy.

Old
09-21-2017, 08:26 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 10:28 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

Zadina scored a nice goal on the pp finding a soft spot but other than that was pretty invisible. McIsaac struggled early then left with a UBI. Groulx had some moments but overall quiet game. Gravel had a great game and made some big saves. Veleno was great and dominated more than the 1A suggests. Hit a crossbar and had a goal called off while creating tones of chances. Blocked shots and drew a couple calls as well

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2017, 02:06 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

F*** Svech for being such a sexy SOB. How amazing he is is going to p*** me off that we won't flip Duchene for the pick that lets us draft both Dahlin & Svech...irrational as that is.

Old
09-22-2017, 07:50 AM
JoemAvs

I love this draft class..

It is time for effin Sakic to stop screwing around and call Snow again and ask for his 2 1sts + another quality piece...

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2017, 02:59 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I love this draft class..

It is time for effin Sakic to stop screwing around and call Snow again and ask for his 2 1sts + another quality piece...
Screw that, go big or go home and send Dutchy to Detroit for their pick+

Old
09-22-2017, 03:39 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Screw that, go big or go home and send Dutchy to Detroit for their pick+
Yeah but mine atleast has a small chance of happening.

Yours has 0. I mean Detroit really needs a lot of things but giving up that pick for Duchene is probably the dumbest thing they could do at this stage in time. I think Holland is a terrible GM nowadays but even he is not braindead enough to ever consider that.

So I win with my post .

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2017, 04:53 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Yeah but mine atleast has a small chance of happening.

Yours has 0. I mean Detroit really needs a lot of things but giving up that pick for Duchene is probably the dumbest thing they could do at this stage in time. I think Holland is a terrible GM nowadays but even he is not braindead enough to ever consider that.

So I win with my post .
Matt Duchene is good enough to help Detroit just barely miss the post season if their goaltending holds up...which is exactly what I expect from Holland at this point...

Though maybe Duchene + Barrie <---> DET 1st + AA + DET 2nd + cap dump + non-bluechip prospect is more realistic

Old
09-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Filthy from Svechnikov. I still confidently maintain that it wont even be a discussion for 1st overall in 8 months from now and it will be the Dahlin draft.

But Svech is one hell of a consolation prize. And the Dmen in this draft are great as well so like anywhere in the Top 5 and we're getting a great player but it will sting to lose Dahlin.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2017, 06:10 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Filthy from Svechnikov. I still confidently maintain that it wont even be a discussion for 1st overall in 8 months from now and it will be the Dahlin draft.

But Svech is one hell of a consolation prize. And the Dmen in this draft are great as well so like anywhere in the Top 5 and we're getting a great player but it will sting to lose Dahlin.
With the dmen in this draft a McIsaac or Smith will be there for the taking with a late top 10 pick; so while Dahlin would be perfect, I wouldn't complain if we got Svech if we got an extra top 10 pick from someone like Detroit.

Old
09-22-2017, 06:21 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
With the dmen in this draft a McIsaac or Smith will be there for the taking with a late top 10 pick; so while Dahlin would be perfect, I wouldn't complain if we got Svech if we got an extra top 10 pick from someone like Detroit.
You need to give that dream up. The only player Detroit might even remotely entertain trading their pick for would be Barrie. They've never been rumored to be in on him though.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote