HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jokinen Wants To Stay, Willing To Give Up Captaincy

Old
04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Very logical. I think this may be the strongest argument against trading Jokinen at this point.
It's only logical if it's true. Another way of thinking is now is the time to trade Olli while perception of his value is still high, so we don't have to find out next season his decline seems to be permanent and he loses all his value completely.

But it's the conflict between these two opposing views that has me sitting on the fence on this issue still.

04-10-2008, 09:34 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokoun29 View Post
Question anyone that has seen Olli play for Team Finland, any noted difference in terms of emotions and leadership compared to him playing on the Cats?
I think he hasn't been the captain of the team, I think Koivu and Peltonen have been captains.
But Olli has been in almost every World Championship tournament, I think 2001 and 2007 are exceptions.

JOL

jol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
It's only logical if it's true. Another way of thinking is now is the time to trade Olli while perception of his value is still high, so we don't have to find out next season his decline seems to be permanent and he loses all his value completely.

But it's the conflict between these two opposing views that has me sitting on the fence on this issue still.
Agreed. IF you think Jokinen is on the downside of his career, this is when you deal him.

I'm not sure there's too many people that feel that way though.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Madhatter73

if we keep Olli, we need to strip the "C" (go with 3As if necessary) and move him to wing.

One of our major issues recently is lack of a 1st line center that can win face-offs.

Olli went 43.1% this past season. That's one of the worst face-off percentages in the entire League. (Kreps was our best center w/53.9%)

If the top line doesn't win the puck in the offensive zone, we're going to get MUCH fewer scoring opportunities. I know Olli likes to play center, but he can't win a face-off to save his life. He plays more like a wing and he and the rest of the team will benefit if we get a REAL center on that top line to play with him.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Agreed. IF you think Jokinen is on the downside of his career, this is when you deal him.

I'm not sure there's too many people that feel that way though.
Olli is entering his peak years, and if we dealt him to another team that added him to a talented top line, we would all regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
if we keep Olli, we need to strip the "C" (go with 3As if necessary) and move him to wing.

One of our major issues recently is lack of a 1st line center that can win face-offs.

Olli went 43.1% this past season. That's one of the worst face-off percentages in the entire League. (Kreps was our best center w/53.9%)

If the top line doesn't win the puck in the offensive zone, we're going to get MUCH fewer scoring opportunities. I know Olli likes to play center, but he can't win a face-off to save his life. He plays more like a wing and he and the rest of the team will benefit if we get a REAL center on that top line to play with him.
Olli does stink at FOs, thats why we always see someone else taking the draw on the PP. I think Olli is fine down the middle, just needs to work on FOs. And if you think about where you are coming from, then what do we do? There arent any good centerman on the market, at least ones that are top line talent. Do we bring Matthias up to play the top line with Olli and a UFA winger? And is the Olli line really our top line? The Sunrise Express () has performed as our top line this year, and should continue to do so next season. If we could get similar production from Olli's line, then we would be in much better shape.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Olli does stink at FOs, thats why we always see someone else taking the draw on the PP. I think Olli is fine down the middle, just needs to work on FOs. And if you think about where you are coming from, then what do we do? There arent any good centerman on the market, at least ones that are top line talent. Do we bring Matthias up to play the top line with Olli and a UFA winger? And is the Olli line really our top line? The Sunrise Express () has performed as our top line this year, and should continue to do so next season. If we could get similar production from Olli's line, then we would be in much better shape.
UFA Centers
================
Mats Sundin (TOR)
Josef Vasicek (NYI)
Mike Peca (CBJ)

Old
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
UFA Centers
================
Mats Sundin (TOR)
Josef Vasicek (NYI)
Mike Peca (CBJ)
I would take a run at Sundin. Heck, Sundin centering a line of Olli and Olesz looks good to me. 30+ goals and a plus player on a bad Toronto team, I would do it. Vasicek and Peca would be another Zednik/Dvorak signing, and thats not what we need.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
UFA Centers
================
Mats Sundin (TOR)
Josef Vasicek (NYI)
Mike Peca (CBJ)
Just to point out, none of them are UFA until July 1 - a lot can happen between then and now, especially since none of their teams made the playoffs. Plenty of time to negotiate contracts.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Just to point out, none of them are UFA until July 1 - a lot can happen between then and now, especially since none of their teams made the playoffs. Plenty of time to negotiate contracts.
Agreed, was just countering the "no centers available" argument. At present, they haven't been signed so they are still slated to be UFAs.

Old
04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I would take a run at Sundin. Heck, Sundin centering a line of Olli and Olesz looks good to me. 30+ goals and a plus player on a bad Toronto team, I would do it. Vasicek and Peca would be another Zednik/Dvorak signing, and thats not what we need.
Sundin would never sign down here.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
UFA Centers
================
Mats Sundin (TOR)
Josef Vasicek (NYI)
Mike Peca (CBJ)
Sundin is old and won't sign here anyways. Peca is old and is weak offensively. Vasicek simply isn't very good.

Matthias can probably put up 30 points and would be alot cheaper.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Sundin would never sign down here.
+1......

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Madhatter73

Then it's simple... We need to get Jokinen Face-off training... ASAP!