HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q&A with Cohen at the BAC

Old
04-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
What Biggane Said About Tonights Meeting

Biggane said Cohen was not supportive of Martin.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...not_suppo.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Biggane said Cohen was not supportive of Martin.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...not_suppo.html
good

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:28 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
First off...Im am COMPLETELY OUT OF MY MIND RIGHT NOW! I want to know if anyone has the email address for Mr Cohen? I was having a very nice, civilized conversation with him before I got interrupted by the $@#@!$. He was a oriental person, wearing a black shirt, and he had pages of forum talk, which most looked to be from the Sun Sentinel. Well I never knew that someone knew so much about me, even though I have NEVER met this man before. He was a complete jerk, insulted me, waved me off like I was beneath him, and wouldnt let me get a word in. Im am livid right now, and cant believe that anyone in the organization would even let a jerk like that represent the organization.

Anyways...Cohen is a great man. He sat there and took the heat from a lot of people. And to be honest with you, these people dont know s$#t. Here are some things that I took away from it:

~He wants Bouw for 10 years. They are beginning the negotiation process and want to get it done soon.
~It sounded like Martin was gone, one way or the other. When we spoke, I told him Id like to keep him as GM and get a new coach. He agreed with me and said that he would like the same thing, but also said that Martin's heart is in coaching. They will sit down shortly to discuss whats going to happen
~Martin is leaving to Rochester to see what is going on with the situation up there. No word on what the plans are yet
~Cohen brought up some valid points, which have been brought up here, about missing the playoffs. He wants to build from within and grow our own talent
~Luongo badmouthed the team and organization, which became an issue over time. Louies wife would call Alan telling him she wanted Louie to stay, but in the end, all of his demands werent right for the team and he thought to move on was the best scenario.
~Keenan was an @ss. He and Duds werent on speaking terms. He and Martin werent on speaking terms.
~We have some real novice hockey people in this town, Im real sorry to say. Not to offend anyone, but some of these questions/comments that were made were ridiculous. One guy saying we needed "stars" on the ice, like Belfour. Cohen responded, "i dont know about you, but Id rather have Vokoun than Belfour." Everyone clapped, except the guy who made the comment, who responded to Cohen saying I wouldnt.

People when it comes down to it, we missed the playoffs by less than 10 points. Do you really think that if we didnt have 400 man games lost to injury, we would of made up those 10 points? There were some real knowledgeable people there, and it was a great experience to have the teams owner come out and do this for almost three hours. I applaud him for that and Im glad he is our owner. Nobody would have anything bad to say about him if you had the chance to attend tonights meeting.

And to be honest with you, I dont know if Olli will be around either. Cohen brought up the point about Olli and his +/-, saying that if he was similar to last years mark, or even even, this team would be a playoff team. So it looks like Olli and Martin might be gone.

He did also say that the day of rebuilding is over. He wants to be a playoff team year in year out, and he will do what it takes to get it done.

They are also in discussions about buiding this multi billion dollar industry around the BAC, which will great benefit the Panthers, especially financially,
Are we starting a space program to shoot Martin off with ZeroG and you to another planet? Multi Billion?

J/k

Nice of Cohen to do this. The guy really seems like he cares.

The injuries are such a cop out and a misleading statistic. Here is why; take out Garth Murray, a guy who missed a ton of games and was likely to have a minimal impact. Also, take out Van Ryn's games lost because Cullimore was EXCELLENT and if Van Ryn isn't injured we don't get Cullimore. Also, Van Ryn was TERRIBLE when he was playing, absolutely terrible. And take out Welch because Johansson stepped in nicely and Welch was unproven and at best a bottom pairing guy. Also, our BEST players missed no games. Horton, Jokinen and Bouw missed ZERO games. Vokoun was also healthy the entire season. Weiss is the only guy who was out who I would call a significant loss and he wasn't out that much. Stumpel, also out for a long time is not exactly liked for his play around here. Crosby was out for at least 29 games and well you know the rest. In conclusion, the injuries are just a weak excuse.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Are we starting a space program to shoot Martin off with ZeroG and you to another planet? Multi Billion?

J/k

The injuries are such a cop out and a misleading statistic. Here is why; take out Garth Murray, a guy who missed a ton of games and was likely to have a minimal impact. Also, take out Van Ryn's games lost because Cullimore was EXCELLENT and if Van Ryn isn't injured we don't get Cullimore. Also, Van Ryn was TERRIBLE when he was playing, absolutely terrible. And take out Welch because Johansson stepped in nicely and Welch was unproven and at best a bottom pairing guy. Also, our BEST players missed no games. Horton, Jokinen and Bouw missed ZERO games. Vokoun was also healthy the entire season. Weiss is the only guy who was out who I would call a significant loss and he wasn't out that much. Stumpel, also out for a long time is not exactly liked for his play around here. Crosby was out for at least 29 games and well you know the rest. In conclusion, the injuries are just a weak excuse.
dude, c'mon. A lot of injuries overlaped each other. We're ahead in man games lost by almost 60. As has been pointed out and said, having the AHL guys here meant the NHLers played a bit more and were gassed towards the end.

Funny, though that you had to switch to Pittsburgh and Crosby, since your other example didn't make the playoffs. Pittsburgh hs Malkin, who here compares to him? Staal, Sykora, etc. Why do you compare?

And Johansson ware here late in the season, Welch was injured early.

04-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Weiss is the only guy who was out who I would call a significant loss and he wasn't out that much.
We lost Zed in the middle of a hot streak (for him). Plus, his injury was such, that our entire team lost focus for at least 1-2 games (2-4 points). Not to mention Olli was never the same after that injury.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We lost Zed in the middle of a hot streak (for him). Plus, his injury was such, that our entire team lost focus for at least 1-2 games (2-4 points). Not to mention Olli was never the same after that injury.
People get injured.

Old
04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
dude, c'mon. A lot of injuries overlaped each other. We're ahead in man games lost by almost 60. As has been pointed out and said, having the AHL guys here meant the NHLers played a bit more and were gassed towards the end.

Funny, though that you had to switch to Pittsburgh and Crosby, since your other example didn't make the playoffs. Pittsburgh hs Malkin, who here compares to him? Staal, Sykora, etc. Why do you compare?

And Johansson ware here late in the season, Welch was injured early.
I was pointing out that Pitt lost their best player and we lose rooster fillers and keep our best players yet they manage to win and we manage to lose.

Old
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I was pointing out that Pitt lost their best player and we lose rooster fillers and keep our best players yet they manage to win and we manage to lose.
Tampa and Atlanta also kept their best players and still missed. In other words, there's something to say for depth.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
People get injured.
Heh.

I think almost losing a life is a little bit different than say...the ever-popular "lower body injury".

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:50 PM
zeroG

Quote:
lol. think it had anything to do with ... uh, i don't know, some guy named malkin? nah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Tampa and Atlanta also kept their best players and still missed. In other words, there's something to say for depth.
right. you have to look at each situation. all the examples given here simply miss the mark at best.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Heh.

I think almost losing a life is a little bit different than say...the ever-popular "lower body injury".
Ok, it's a shame Zednik got hurt and I'm really happy he seems to be making a full recovery. But lets be honest, Zednik was having a horrible season before he got hurt. Yes he had his modest 4 game hot streak in which he had 6 goals and 3 assists in that period before getting hurt but in the previous TWENTY GAMES BEFORE THAT, in which he was healthy and played EVERY GAME during that period, he had a grand total of ZERO GOALS and TWO ASSISTS!!! That's one fourth of a hockey season and people are crying about Jokinen? This was the guy that was supposed to be Jokinen's scoring wingman on the Panthers Top Line and he produced NOTHING for one fourth of a NHL season in which he played every game. Zednik was a terrible signing!!!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Anyone got the email to Alan Cohen by any chance? Its not on the Panthers site.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
PanthersRule96

I'm liking Cohen's stance on a lot of what was said. He isn't a fool.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
good
good, why??? here's a nutshell for ya - the guy coached last year with a frankenstein lineup of keenan's making that was destroyed by injury (bertuzzi out all year, newy retiring... ), still had the team playing well down the stretch and at least within a sniff (all while fixing keenan's disaster). this year, still not much to barter with but with a slightly retooled lineup and 400 man games lost, the team was still in it until the last week and a half. cut that number of man games lost in half or even by a 1/4th and the team makes the playoffs. everyone's happy. next year, there will be more depth and better depth.

sometimes the hardest thing to do is realize that NO change is necessary.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Ok, it's a shame Zednik got hurt and I'm really happy he seems to be making a full recovery. But lets be honest, Zednik was having a horrible season before he got hurt. Yes he had his modest 4 game hot streak in which he had 6 goals and 3 assists in that period before getting hurt but in the previous TWENTY GAMES BEFORE THAT, in which he was healthy and played EVERY GAME during that period, he had a grand total of ZERO GOALS and TWO ASSISTS!!! That's one fourth of a hockey season and people are crying about Jokinen? This was the guy that was supposed to be Jokinen's scoring wingman on the Panthers Top Line and he produced NOTHING for one fourth of a NHL season in which he played every game. Zednik was a terrible signing!!!
How many penalties did he draw? Intangibles matter, and there's something to be said for the chances created by a player with speed.

Yeah, good/great teams can get past injuries, but we don't have the depth of good/great teams. To be affected so strongly by injuries without solid call-ups only has an amplifying affect on the negative impact it has on the team.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:37 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

J/k

This team had weak depth before the injuries, then we had NO depth. Our stars may not have been hurt, but they were certainly effected.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:28 AM
homegrizown

yea i definetly think jokinen is a gone-er

at the meeting cohen stated " i can't protect olli anymore"

he said he told olli to take this team down the playoff stretch and down the stretch he wasn't there.

i also agree martin will be stepping down in one area but not completely fired you could tell cohen really likes martin espically when he stated "martin is an honest man" and i guess as a business man as is cohen you like honest people but he needs results. so like i said one position will be stripped from martin and like most i just hope it's coaching.

cohen is doing the right things as in wanting to grown from within and sign our players. basically my favorite thing he said was stating when u buy a players jersey u don't want it to be obsolete in a year or two you want to know that player will be with the team along time.

he definetly didn't make excuses for anyone and called out the childness and other things that affected this team. he also admits he doesn't know much about "hockey" so we can rip him for taht but the guy truely cares about the fans and the team

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Kaptah

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
at the meeting cohen stated " i can't protect olli anymore"
Is this true?

Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
Is this true?
Yes, he did say he can't protect Olli anymore. He wants to be a hands-off owner and let the hockey people make the hockey decisions. He also stated Martin brought no offers to him for Olli.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:

J/k

100% agree, this excuse keeps getting used again and again and it is not valid. Every team has injuries and one of the only guys we have that is durable and productive, as someone pointed out, is Ollie who has played every game for 5 years. On top of that the (+/-) is the most misleading stat in sports. Does anyone take into account that as the top scorer he gets the other team's top defense and often the other team's top forward line, evne though he is flanked by third-line quality wingers. He gets traded and the Weiss line becomes the first line and you'll quickly see a dip in that (+/-).

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:

Can anyone name at one winger, just one, that Ollie has played with for a good portion of a season, that even resembles a second line winger, much less a first line which is what he should have. In spite of that he still produces.

Old
04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Can anyone name at one winger, just one, that Ollie has played with for a good portion of a season, that even resembles a second line winger, much less a first line which is what he should have. In spite of that he still produces.
To be fair, Martin said he acquired a first line winger in Chad Kilger.

Old
04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
To be fair, Martin said he acquired a first line winger in Chad Kilger.
And he did... It's too bad that Kilger had family issues to deal with and can't play... He would have been a perfect compliment to Jokinen/Zednik on that top line...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Slick Cat

you guys are kidding right? lets put aside the major failure of martin to acquire a guy for a third round pick, which is pretty valuable, and not know enough about him to find out later that he doesn't want to play.

even if he did show up, in his best days, he is not a first line winger and more in the mold of the third line winger we throw at Ollie and hope we hit gold for a change. just like, stumpel, peltonen, zednik, mclean, etc.

Old
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
you guys are kidding right? lets put aside the major failure of martin to acquire a guy for a third round pick, which is pretty valuable, and not know enough about him to find out later that he doesn't want to play.

even if he did show up, in his best days, he is not a first line winger and more in the mold of the third line winger we throw at Ollie and hope we hit gold for a change. just like, stumpel, peltonen, zednik, mclean, etc.
yeah, I was being sarcastic. JM's ability to be a GM is definitely up for debate.