HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin out as coach, stays as GM

Old
04-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/621/story/491545.html
Looks like he'll stay on as GM though.
Just as I suspected. Although Cunneyworth was a finalist for the Ottawa job last summer, I read on the Sens' board a couple weeks ago Craig Hartsburg could be a possibility for them as well. So that might help us land him. It also looks like Nolan could be fired from the Isles, but he has a reputation of GMs not liking him. If Martin hires a defensive minded coach like himself as some on this board believe he would do, I could see him hiring Andy Murray if St. Louis fires him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Guys, read my past posts, its going to Randy Cunneyworth. Id like to see him come in, or worst case scenario, Hartley. Great news. This is quite exciting, hopefully we see a breath of fresh air next season.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Cunneyworth would be nice. I won't speculate on guys that are currently the head coach of another NHL team.

I know no one wants to hire him, but I like Kevin Constantine. Plus he coaches a defensive system since it would make sense for Martin to implement a coach with a similar mindset.

I'm not a big Hartsberg fan. I was not impressed with the way he handled Canada's team at the WJC this season. He couldn't figure out which goalie to start, ended up starting the wrong one IMO (worked out in the end since they are both excellent goalies), I wasn't happy with some of his camp selections or his lineups. He kept letting Sutter take faceoffs when it was clear that he couldn't win a face off to save his life. He took way to long to give Tavares a regular shift. Marchand got to stay on the top line despite dumb mistake after dumb mistake with limited offence production. I was glad when they announced that he wouldn't be back as coach next year. You should see what happens when we don't win gold.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Cfan*

JM didn't hire Cunneyworth as an assistant so he's not going to hire him as head coach. It's probably going to be bob hartley

Cfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I'm not unhappy with this news.

While I think stability in this organization is key, I was not happy with Martin's coaching system throughout the last few years. I do like, however, how he signed our young guys long term and I liked that he got us a legit #1 goalie without giving up any of our youngsters. This means he knows that he must build for the future and must develop the core of Weiss, Olesz, Horton, Allen and Bouwmeester.

I did NOT like how he extended Stumpel's contract and signed 3rd liners as our key acquisitions for the summer. Hopefully he learned from his mistakes and turns into a patient and smart front office executive who realizes that BOTH depth and high-end talent is key.

On the other side of the coin, I'm hoping that he has learned that success in the NNHL a high octane offense is a necessity and picks a head coach who can utilize the players we have in a system that emphasizes our strengths without allowing our weaknesses to be exploited.

Hey Acadmus, how's that for a post-'revelry' contribution? I'm practically looking at two screens right now!

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Posts have been merged from the other thread. Use this one to discuss JM no longer being coach and just being GM. The other one for who the new head coach might be. Thanks!

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Georgia Panther

Worst of Both Worlds

We are about to live out the worst case scenario for the Florida Panthers. A no-risk taking conservative defensive minded GM with a Jacques Martin Clone as Head Coach.

''Jacques and I have talked about splitting the responsibilities and him staying on as GM,'' Cohen wrote in an e-mail to The Miami Herald. ``In that role, he would be responsible for selecting the new coach.''

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Fedz

I don't particularly follow the Panthers as much as others, therefore I have one question regarding Martin's decision.

What does this mean for Jokinen? Everyone claims they don't get along, but if Martin is just the General Manager then who cares, right? I mean they could survive if a coach comes in that Jokinen gets along with, yes? Am I completely wrong here?

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Georgia Panther

Given the history of this Franchise and the people making the decisions, whatever direction it chooses to take with Jokinen will undoubtably be the wrong one.

Old
04-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
I don't particularly follow the Panthers as much as others, therefore I have one question regarding Martin's decision.

What does this mean for Jokinen? Everyone claims they don't get along, but if Martin is just the General Manager then who cares, right? I mean they could survive if a coach comes in that Jokinen gets along with, yes? Am I completely wrong here?
Could be that they now see each other when they have to and everything is hunky-dorey. Could be that Martin moves him, too. Cohen said last night that he's not going to step in like he did early in the season.

04-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
If JM is staying as GM, I dont think Olli will be traded. He will get Ollis winger.
I agree!!! We have already shipped off Salei's big contract now we need to get rid of Stumpel's or Van Ryn's or both. Stumpel's contract is just dead weight right now. We need to unload it ASAP! In Van Ryn's case, we could sign Cullimore who did a pretty decent job to say the least to a lower deal. I would love to see JM go after Hossa with that $$$! Hossa did have some of his best years playing for JM in Ottawa!!! If indead we do sign him though I think JM will still be pulling double duty as GM & HC.
I like Van Ryn, but would unload his contract in a heart beat if it meant we could sign someone like Hossa!

Last edited by Beezer: 04-11-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
we're not going to see JM as a GM only

JM is a coach at first. that's what he likes to do

JM would quit this organization if he couldn't coach
I hope you're right!! see ya

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Acadmus

Phase one of the Acadmus to save the team plan is nearly complete.

Launching phase 2....

plan includes:
1) getting new head coach - position cleared, need new candidate
2) getting Frolik and JBo signed
3) getting a first round pick in the draft and more picks in general(secondary objective, not necessary to complete)
4) getting a top line winger
5) getting a top pair defenseman
6) getting rid of dead weight (Stumpel, Mezei are priorities) and try to get some return on them.

04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Just what alot of us wanted, JM out as coach and to stay as GM. That just made my day. Now that JM will be GM only, I think we can expect to see Bouw signed long term, Frolik signed, and a top winger brought in for Olli. He acted perfectly as a GM during the deadline of not trading away our youth, but at the same time he was HC and that would affect some other decisions. Thats why its tough to be both and he definitely needed to choose 1. Now that he is GM, he can put even more focus into it without it affecting his HC decisions. This is a smart move by JM and the Panthers. Many of us liked what hes done from a GM standpoint and this will be a good thing for the team. I dont know how the entire situation played out behind closed doors, but it DOES seem that JM wanted to stay with the Panthers. I think at the deadline, he proved it by not trading away our youth. If he knew he wasnt going to be back at all, then would he have really ripped apart this team and their future for a rental. I think this was a telling sign that he would be back. Finally now, this whole debate is over and we have our GM set and now just need to get a new HC.

Last edited by NJ_CATS_FAN: 04-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.
NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I wonder which old friend JM will save this time from icing some rink in Canada and hire as our coach. Atleast he hasnt hired family... yet...

Then again we could have another problem in our hands if JM stays as GM only because he loves coaching so much. Will he be unhappy not coaching anymore etc
What are the odds that he brings in another friend? What ever happened to going out and getting the best available person for the job and putting your personal BS and ego aside. We can't seem to find a GM willing to do this.

Murray ruined his tenure, which I thought was otherwise very good, by bringing in his brother and not firing him when he should have.

Dudley seemed to bring the entire tampa organization with him, many of which are still around, and was disaster.

Keenen and Martin came together as friends until they broke up and became enemies.

And now Martin will bring in a former friend or coach from somewhere.

A lot of fans were taling about how players need to be more mature. How about our management? just because they are older it does not meant they have any professionalism or class and they show that every day. lets go get someone who does

Old
04-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Given the history of this Franchise and the people making the decisions, whatever direction it chooses to take with Jokinen will undoubtably be the wrong one.
They were supposed to trade him at the deadline the year his contract was running out...they signed him to a 4-year deal. They were supposed to deal him at the trade deadline this year...they didn't. Martin traded only a couple draft picks and Ruslan Salei for two players and a contract on another.

Even Martin was said to be gone long before this and isn't. It seems Cohen is going for stability, and Martin has a long-term building plan. If he stays as GM, we'll see that borne to fruition, with hopefully a better coach (as I said yesterday, the team won when playing his system - he just couldn't motivate them to stick to it for 60 minutes).

I'm going out on a limb here with a high-risk forecast, I know...but I'm going to say Olli J is still a Panther come September. And if he isn't, we won't be too upset at the loss because the return will be something worth parting with him.

Cohen's done exactly what I've wanted for a couple of seasons now, so I'm getting a more positive opinion of him. Now if the team manages to sign at least one of the two pieces it's missing this summer, I'll be much more positive on him.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:33 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Phase one of the Acadmus to save the team plan is nearly complete.

Launching phase 2....

plan includes:
1) getting new head coach - position cleared, need new candidate
2) getting Frolik and JBo signed
3) getting a first round pick in the draft and more picks in general(secondary objective, not necessary to complete)
4) getting a top line winger
5) getting a top pair defenseman
6) getting rid of dead weight (Stumpel, Mezei are priorities) and try to get some return on them.
Dude, get your priorities straight. Ever since you have been a moderator, you've become weak.

1) Kill Steven Stamkos
2) Kill his family
3) Burn his home and belongings
4) Enjoy watching Tampa draft Drew Doughty
5) Don't hire Mike Keenan or trade for Chris Gratton

If we execute those 5 steps, we are good.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I agree!!! We have already shipped off Salei's big contract now we need to get rid of Stumpel's or Van Ryn's or both. Stumpel's contract is just dead weight right now. We need to unload it ASAP! In Van Ryn's case, we could sign Cullimore who did a pretty decent job to say the least to a lower deal. I would love to see JM go after Hossa with that $$$! Hossa did have some of his best years playing for JM in Ottawa!!! If indead we do sign him though I think JM will still be pulling double duty as GM & HC.
I like Van Ryn, but would unload his contract in a heart beat if it meant we could sign someone like Hossa!
Who is going to take stumpel, he is useless and way overpaid. only jacques would pay him that much for two years

Van Ryn' contract was fine based on his play before his injuries but he just hasn't played. no one will take him now anyway and if he is finally helathy he would be a great asset

Old
04-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
They were supposed to trade him at the deadline the year his contract was running out...they signed him to a 4-year deal. They were supposed to deal him at the trade deadline this year...they didn't. Martin traded only a couple draft picks and Ruslan Salei for two players and a contract on another.

Even Martin was said to be gone long before this and isn't. It seems Cohen is going for stability, and Martin has a long-term building plan. If he stays as GM, we'll see that borne to fruition, with hopefully a better coach (as I said yesterday, the team won when playing his system - he just couldn't motivate them to stick to it for 60 minutes).

I'm going out on a limb here with a high-risk forecast, I know...but I'm going to say Olli J is still a Panther come September. And if he isn't, we won't be too upset at the loss because the return will be something worth parting with him.

Cohen's done exactly what I've wanted for a couple of seasons now, so I'm getting a more positive opinion of him. Now if the team manages to sign at least one of the two pieces it's missing this summer, I'll be much more positive on him.
Gorton says it's not a done deal that JM will remain as GM since Cohen may not want a clone of JM as coach like JM would want to appoint.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,1493523.story

Old
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Gorton says it's not a done deal that JM will remain as GM since Cohen may not want a clone of JM as coach like JM would want to appoint.

I'm already taking back my forecast anyway, as I just read pb1300's summary of his conversation with Cohen in the other thread. If that comes to fruition my opinion of Cohen will go the other way instead

Old
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:

I've been saying it all along. He can't be GM b/c his philosphy will carry over to the coach he signs and the players he acquires. He needs to go.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:32 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Should Martin choose to stay, it's uncertain how the hiring of his replacement would be handled. Cohen said briefly Friday that Martin would help decide his successor.

However, it's likely Martin would select someone similar to his own personality and coaching style, something which fans and Cohen alike don't feel has worked the previous three seasons. Several players in the Panthers' dressing room were also displeased with how Martin related to them as coach.

If Martin is urged to select someone he doesn't feel he would mesh well with, he might choose to leave the organization altogether.

It says he might have a hand in choosing the next coach, not that he will. And that he might leave altogether if he doesnt mesh well with the new coach. I think you guys are really undervaluing a guy with his experience because of what he has done on the ice. He has been a decent GM for this team and Id be happy if he stays as GM. You guys like to pick parts out of the article instead of look at everything as a whole.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Should Martin choose to stay, it's uncertain how the hiring of his replacement would be handled. Cohen said briefly Friday that Martin would help decide his successor.

However, it's likely Martin would select someone similar to his own personality and coaching style, something which fans and Cohen alike don't feel has worked the previous three seasons. Several players in the Panthers' dressing room were also displeased with how Martin related to them as coach.

If Martin is urged to select someone he doesn't feel he would mesh well with, he might choose to leave the organization altogether.

It says he might have a hand in choosing the next coach, not that he will. And that he might leave altogether if he doesnt mesh well with the new coach. I think you guys are really undervaluing a guy with his experience because of what he has done on the ice. He has been a decent GM for this team and Id be happy if he stays as GM. You guys like to pick parts out of the article instead of look at everything as a whole.
Name one significant move he has made as a Panthers GM that any hard core fan of the Panthers wouldn't have also done to improve the PRESENT on-ice product of the Panthers? Matthias doesn't count as he is still in juniors. I can think of one, the signing of Cullimore.

Old
04-11-2008, 09:53 AM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Name one significant move he has made as a Panthers GM that any hard core fan of the Panthers wouldn't have also done to improve the PRESENT on-ice product of the Panthers? Matthias doesn't count as he is still in juniors. I can think of one, the signing of Cullimore.
Vokoun, Skrastins, Belak, and as you mentioned, Cullimore. These have all significantly improved the present on-ice product of the Panthers.

I know you don't want to count Matthias for some arbitrary reason but trading pretty much nothing in exchange for a future franchise star (who will most likely make the team next season) AND a draft pick is pretty significant.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Well, since you answered your own question, I'll just toss out - he acquired Murray also (Martin can't be expected to foresee the guy separating his shoulder 7 games in, and the acquisition was a gamble that Murray could both fight and play instead of being a pure enforcer), Johanssen, and Wade Belak. He also signed Murphy, which certainly looked like a brilliant move before Muph's mystery injury sidelined him two months and killed off his offensive game. Who knows, he could even return to form after a summer off. Zednik was an offensive gamble, but he was scoring like a demon in January before his freak injury. Dvorak and McLean seemed less impressive signings, but Dvo's a key PKer for the team and McLean has performed well, though at season's end was in too big a role as a top line wing. But he did manage - was it 4 or 5 points in that one game in March?

Last year Martin was somewhat less active, but remember he had Bertuzzi's huge contract sitting on IR, so the moves he made to subract that and bring in Matthias as a prospect were an attempt to improve the team. Matthias really didn't take off until after the trade, so the Wings didn't think they were giving up much...then Martin also dealt draft picks for Vokoun, a blatant move to improve the current product on the ice.