HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q&A with Cohen at the BAC

Old
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
And he did... It's too bad that Kilger had family issues to deal with and can't play... He would have been a perfect compliment to Jokinen/Zednik on that top line...
Yes, Chad Kilger is our savior for the top line.

Chad Kilger's NHL Career

Year Team League GP G A Pts
2007-08 Toronto NHL 53 10 7 17
2006-07 Toronto NHL 82 14 14 28
2005-06 Toronto NHL 79 17 11 28
2004-05 Did not play - - - - - - - - -
2003-04 Toronto NHL 5 1 1 2
2003-04 Montreal NHL 36 2 2 4
2003-04 Total Mtl/Tor NHL 41 3 3 6
2002-03 Montreal NHL 60 9 7 16
2001-02 Montreal NHL 75 8 15 23
2000-01 Montreal NHL 43 9 16 25
2000-01 Edmonton NHL 34 5 2 7
2000-01 Total Edm/Mtl NHL 77 14 18 32
1999-00 Edmonton NHL 40 3 2 5
1998-99 Edmonton NHL 13 1 1 2
1998-99 Chicago NHL 64 14 11 25
1998-99 Total Chi/Edm NHL 77 15 12 27
1997-98 Chicago NHL 22 3 8 11
1997-98 Phoenix NHL 10 0 1 1
1997-98 Total Phx/Chi NHL 32 3 9 12
1996-97 Phoenix NHL 24 4 3 7
1995-96 Winnipeg NHL 29 2 3 5
1995-96 Anaheim NHL 45 5 7 12
1995-96 Total Ana/Wpg NHL 74 7 10 17

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
The injuries are such a cop out and a misleading statistic. Here is why; take out Garth Murray, a guy who missed a ton of games and was likely to have a minimal impact. Also, take out Van Ryn's games lost because Cullimore was EXCELLENT and if Van Ryn isn't injured we don't get Cullimore. Also, Van Ryn was TERRIBLE when he was playing, absolutely terrible. And take out Welch because Johansson stepped in nicely and Welch was unproven and at best a bottom pairing guy. Also, our BEST players missed no games. Horton, Jokinen and Bouw missed ZERO games. Vokoun was also healthy the entire season. Weiss is the only guy who was out who I would call a significant loss and he wasn't out that much. Stumpel, also out for a long time is not exactly liked for his play around here. Crosby was out for at least 29 games and well you know the rest. In conclusion, the injuries are just a weak excuse.
Core players don't win games, teams do. Core players are just the most critical talent on the team.

The thing you really want to look at is who a team has to play whenever injuries occur. On defense we had to bring in Lojek (it wasn't just Van Ryn - it was him, Allen, and Welch all being out that forced the Cullimore signing once it was clear Lojek was out of shape). On our back lines we had Tanner Glass, Rob Globke (who made the team out of camp but it was quickly obvious that was a mistake, and Martin demoted him), Anthony Stewart (playing a role he just isn't suited for since he doesn't want to engage in physical play), and Stefan Meyer. Glass was okay but provided almost 0 offense. The others weren't quite worth their salt. Larman got a peek at the NHL. But the worst part was the team was often playing more than one of them at a time. That created a vulnerability other teams could exploit. We even had to bring Matthias out of juniors at one point for God's sake to cover all the overlapping injuries.

The other thing is that injuries were occurring at all the wrong times. Welch, Allen, McLean, Zednik, and new acquisition Murray all got hurt in the first two months, and Montador started the season injured, not to mention Van Ryn had to accept he'd never fully healed from dual wrist surgeries. Booth got injured right when he was starting to get hot in December, and the team had earned points in 8 straight games mainly on that second line's offense. Derailed that charge. The team got hot in January on Olli Jokinen's and Richard Zednik's offense - Zeds gets injured and out for the season, taking Olli's spirit with him. Then the injuries to Dvorak and Weiss came on top of that one. They come back but Weiss gets hurt again and misses a couple more, again leaving the most consistent line without a key member. When he came back that time he came back hurt, so the second line wasn't quite so good down the stretch, and Olli was almost completely absent.

04-11-2008, 09:10 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Core players don't win games, teams do. Core players are just the most critical talent on the team.

The thing you really want to look at is who a team has to play whenever injuries occur. On defense we had to bring in Lojek (it wasn't just Van Ryn - it was him, Allen, and Welch all being out that forced the Cullimore signing once it was clear Lojek was out of shape). On our back lines we had Tanner Glass, Rob Globke (who made the team out of camp but it was quickly obvious that was a mistake, and Martin demoted him), Anthony Stewart (playing a role he just isn't suited for since he doesn't want to engage in physical play), and Stefan Meyer. Glass was okay but provided almost 0 offense. The others weren't quite worth their salt. Larman got a peek at the NHL. But the worst part was the team was often playing more than one of them at a time. That created a vulnerability other teams could exploit. We even had to bring Matthias out of juniors at one point for God's sake to cover all the overlapping injuries.

The other thing is that injuries were occurring at all the wrong times. Welch, Allen, McLean, Zednik, and new acquisition Murray all got hurt in the first two months, and Montador started the season injured, not to mention Van Ryn had to accept he'd never fully healed from dual wrist surgeries. Booth got injured right when he was starting to get hot in December, and the team had earned points in 8 straight games mainly on that second line's offense. Derailed that charge. The team got hot in January on Olli Jokinen's and Richard Zednik's offense - Zeds gets injured and out for the season, taking Olli's spirit with him. Then the injuries to Dvorak and Weiss came on top of that one. They come back but Weiss gets hurt again and misses a couple more, again leaving the most consistent line without a key member. When he came back that time he came back hurt, so the second line wasn't quite so good down the stretch, and Olli was almost completely absent.
Please, the injuries are an excuse and not nearly as bad as people here like to make them out to be. Tanner glass was a serviceable fourth liner and was actually good in his role. He brought much needed grit to an otherwise gritless team. Lojek played how many games? Stewart was w/e but blaming the losses on having these guys in the lineup is weak. I don't recall any games they lost.

Good teams can overcome injuries. We didn't have any significant loses. People here make it as if other teams don't face injuries.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Can anyone name at one winger, just one, that Ollie has played with for a good portion of a season, that even resembles a second line winger, much less a first line which is what he should have. In spite of that he still produces.
he hasn't had one but that doesn't give him the excuse for being a minus 19 this year. his lack of scoring and being scored all over down the stretch really hurt this team and i agree the zednik thing had a big impact on him.. but he's always been this bad defensively everyone just saw it more cuz he couldn't produce points.

so when ur not producing everyone sees every part of your game. if he was scoring a goal or two a game or getting 2 or 3 assist nobody would notice that the guy can't back check and is horrible at defense.

there was a guy at the meeting who used an example of jokinen playing every game the past 3-4 seasons and his numbers and saying the stability and the goal scoring. i like olli he does produce points but the guy i believe stays healthy cuz he doesn't pay the price to win he shouldn't be captain he doesn't go out there and give it his all every night and that's disappointing as a fan when i see him floating and the only time i ever see him skate is when he's going in the offensive zone. the guy flies with the puck but without hes lazy and slow.

i agree with another person at the meeting he's a number 2 guy not a number one... he doens't bring every dimension u'd want a number 1 guy to have.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
he hasn't had one but that doesn't give him the excuse for being a minus 19 this year. his lack of scoring and being scored all over down the stretch really hurt this team and i agree the zednik thing had a big impact on him.. but he's always been this bad defensively everyone just saw it more cuz he couldn't produce points.

so when ur not producing everyone sees every part of your game. if he was scoring a goal or two a game or getting 2 or 3 assist nobody would notice that the guy can't back check and is horrible at defense.

there was a guy at the meeting who used an example of jokinen playing every game the past 3-4 seasons and his numbers and saying the stability and the goal scoring. i like olli he does produce points but the guy i believe stays healthy cuz he doesn't pay the price to win he shouldn't be captain he doesn't go out there and give it his all every night and that's disappointing as a fan when i see him floating and the only time i ever see him skate is when he's going in the offensive zone. the guy flies with the puck but without hes lazy and slow.

i agree with another person at the meeting he's a number 2 guy not a number one... he doens't bring every dimension u'd want a number 1 guy to have.
I agree with him being a number 2 guy. If he played with a number 1 it would elevate his game and we would have two number 1s. Its tough being the best offensive player on this team and having to play with guys who should be on the third or second line.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Please, the injuries are an excuse and not nearly as bad as people here like to make them out to be. Tanner glass was a serviceable fourth liner and was actually good in his role. He brought much needed grit to an otherwise gritless team. Lojek played how many games? Stewart was w/e but blaming the losses on having these guys in the lineup is weak. I don't recall any games they lost.

Good teams can overcome injuries. We didn't have any significant loses. People here make it as if other teams don't face injuries.
And how do good teams overcome injuries? Do they play with a short roster?

No - they have depth in the minor leagues and their call up players are decently capable of filling roles and not hurting the team in the minutes they play. Those teams also have higher top ends - more star caliber players. More than one guy who can pot 60 points in a season or - alternatively - at least 3 that can top 50. The Panthers have neither aspect. Drafting used to be terrible...then we went through a period where all the team's top picks went straight to the NHL. Then we had Keenan, who nearly scrapped the team's entire prospect roster. There's no depth. So injuries impact this team more than others. The depth is being built, but won't be fully available for two-three more years.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
you guys are kidding right? lets put aside the major failure of martin to acquire a guy for a third round pick, which is pretty valuable, and not know enough about him to find out later that he doesn't want to play.

even if he did show up, in his best days, he is not a first line winger and more in the mold of the third line winger we throw at Ollie and hope we hit gold for a change. just like, stumpel, peltonen, zednik, mclean, etc.
3rd rounds picks are not "pretty valuable"... Sorry...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
3rd rounds picks are not "pretty valuable"... Sorry...
I disagree, and Cohen even stated that you build through the draft in his opinion

so we should just give all our picks away if they are not in the first two rounds?

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
I agree with him being a number 2 guy. If he played with a number 1 it would elevate his game and we would have two number 1s. Its tough being the best offensive player on this team and having to play with guys who should be on the third or second line.
can't argue that ideally he would be a number two guy but we don't have a number one guys so I can't understand for the life of me how trading our current number one guys, who should be a number two, would help in any way, unless we get a legitimate number one

and based on what we heard last night don't count on any impact player joining us in a trade or free agency so be very careful if you wish to unload our best scoring threat becasue he will not be replaced

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
I disagree, and Cohen even stated that you build through the draft in his opinion

so we should just give all our picks away if they are not in the first two rounds?
Noone should give any pick for nothing. My point was a 3rd rounder is not worth very much usually.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote