Old
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
mattski93
Poo Brain

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
is he a physical player, ie could he be put on a checking line if needed? What NHL player would you compare his style to.
No, he's not really physical, he's quite small. Doesn't need to be to be honest. Does throw hits occasionally but they're nothing earth-shattering. He's a definite first-line playmaking centre. I'd compare his style very much to Crosby but without the attitude. True competitor, never gives up, hates losing but a true professional, never badmouths opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman91
say you play midget aa in alberta, and getting better, and have a english citizenship what are the chances of making it in the epihl?
If you played in the British junior system for at least two years you're classed as a Brit, if not you're an import regardless of passport. If you had those two years your chances are pretty decent, the least you can do is come over for a training camp.

Old
01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Other Little Mikey

Canadian living in Essex. I only have freeview, I know I've seen the occasional late night game on Five or Five US ... Can anyone tell me when games might be on? Will the All-Star game be on at all, even delayed a few days? Anyone? I have a bandwidth limit so online stuff is out. Over an hour from London so going to a pub won't work. I'M IN WITHDRAWAL, PLEASE HELP.

Old
01-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Sounds like checking the listings for Five is your only chance.

Either you have to improve your broadband connection or look into getting NASN / Sky.

Old
01-27-2008, 10:33 AM
GFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Canadian living in Essex. I only have freeview, I know I've seen the occasional late night game on Five or Five US ... Can anyone tell me when games might be on? Will the All-Star game be on at all, even delayed a few days? Anyone? I have a bandwidth limit so online stuff is out. Over an hour from London so going to a pub won't work. I'M IN WITHDRAWAL, PLEASE HELP.
All Star game is on tonight at 1230 ish on Five. So it will be almost-live.

Apart from that, Five has a game every Wednesday, can be any time from 12.30-2am start.

Old
01-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildfordFlamesFan View Post
All Star game is on tonight at 1230 ish on Five. So it will be almost-live.

Apart from that, Five has a game every Wednesday, can be any time from 12.30-2am start.
Excellent. Thank you.

Old
01-27-2008, 12:31 PM
GFF

Of course you could seek out your nearest team and pop along.

I don't know how far you are from Chelmsford but there is a team there. In the English Premier League.

Website here:

http://www.chelmsfordchieftains.co.uk/

Old
01-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildfordFlamesFan View Post
Of course you could seek out your nearest team and pop along.

I don't know how far you are from Chelmsford but there is a team there. In the English Premier League.

Website here:

http://www.chelmsfordchieftains.co.uk/

Hee. Not that far, but I don't have a car. Maybe there's a bus?

Edit: Oooh, Oilers game on TV next week! Oil vs. Hawks, my first time seeing them all season! Hooray!

Last edited by Other Little Mikey: 01-27-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old
01-29-2008, 02:16 AM
markhtfc

I have been following Hockey (a bit indepth) now in England for about a year or so and Manchester Phoenix is the team I follow because it is easier to travel to Manchester as I live in Huddersfield, plus I like the logo .

I went to my first game this season and I thought it was brilliant, it is alot better than on TV. The game I went to was a home game against Vipers which we won 5-2, since then I have been to about 6 games, and I am hoping to get to a few more before the season ends. So far I am yet to see them lose so maybe I bring good luck.

Hopefully Hockey in Britain can get it's standards up and get more people in attendance, what I think needs to happen though is more advertising on local TV, such as a weekly program on BBC or something like that to see where that can take the game, and I also think they need to build a new team in the capital of England.

Old
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Oilman91

i am going to england on may 6th any places to buy any ephl jerseys and how much? prefferebly belfast giants

Old
02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
GFF

I am pretty sure the only place to get Hockey Jerseys for UK teams is from the teams themselves. Usually they will have a shop on their website or perhaps a store local to the rink.

You could always track one down on ebay and agree to collect it while you are here.

Someone else might know better, but probably best to contact the club about where their jerseys are available.

All teams websites can be found via this website: http://www.britishicehockey.co.uk/links.htm

Old
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Oilman91

thanks. Ill do that

Old
03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
used to live in England now emigrated to the US.... Most local arenas in England will have a store right there, where you can buy various jerseys, shirts, caps etc. They can range anyway between 20 pounds to 50 ($40-$100) and you'll find that some stores will also sell rival jerseys aswell.

Old
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Other Little Mikey

Does Five air any more games during the playoffs or are they pretty much all on satellite?

Old
04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
ukoiler83

Send a message via MSN to ukoiler83
Quote:
Does Five air any more games during the playoffs or are they pretty much all on satellite?
There will probably be one a week as usual and they normally cover all seven of the final games!!

Old
04-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerofengland View Post
There will probably be one a week as usual and they normally cover all seven of the final games!!
This Wednesday there was baseball.

No playoff hockey is killing me. I need better internet.

Old
04-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
fife flyers are talented, as a team!i was playing in an inline team in fife, well, kircaldy, and we caught a game. It was pretty good, against Blackburn, Blackburn's goalie was amazing...but i can't remember his name. The EIHL players don't seem to try as much as players in the lesser leagues, or british players, as they are fighting for that contract, or to get noticed for an EIHL team.

Old
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
This Wednesday there was baseball.

No playoff hockey is killing me. I need better internet.

Five showed the Pens - Sens series game 3. Think it was shown 'delayed' by about an hour. Keep you eye on the TV guide.

Also some bars have NASN. I know Sports Cafe do.

Old
04-18-2008, 02:28 AM
hluraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore View Post
Five showed the Pens - Sens series game 3. Think it was shown 'delayed' by about an hour. Keep you eye on the TV guide.

Also some bars have NASN. I know Sports Cafe do.

Virtually every pub and bar now has NASN as it is part of the Setanta package that shows Premiership games. Getting them to switch to hockey is nigh on impossible though, not least as no hockey game will finish when the pub is open.

Old
04-21-2008, 07:56 AM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post
. Getting them to switch to hockey is nigh on impossible though, not least as no hockey game will finish when the pub is open.
I know Sports Cafe will put on NASN if you ask and there is not some other sports event people are coming in to watch.

They have the abilility to put different stuff on different TVs.

Some games do start at times when bars open. Quite often on a Sunday there is an afternoon game in the NHL which starts at around 6 or 8pm here.

Old
06-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
Britains hockey problem is that..

1. We don't get cold enough winters for lakes to be frozen over
2. Ice rinks only exist in certain geographical areas in the uk (Eg the north + Scotland)
3. Too many "British NHL Fans" - Get supporting a local team!
4. We get shunned to figure skating, who get a large percentage of ice time.
5. We don't produce the quality players
All valid points. 2 more which top even those ones:

6) It's just too niche to fit in with the other sports we compete with in this country. Those that like it, love it. Mr J.Bloggs and his family that don't know it are a hard sell.

and most importantly...

7) Very few teams are self-sufficiently financed and arena owners/team owners don't have the money to sustain the league's competitiveness.

I fit under the 3) banner - at the end of the day, I'd go and watch Blackburn if the standard was half decent but I get better value for my NASN contract than I do what is served up over here, sadly. Believe me, I wish it was different - I've been a British hockey fan since the days of the Medway Bears back in the late 80's...

Old
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
bassassin

Hi I dont know whether this is OT or not but I was just wondering local weekend teams what is the standard like because I am 17 and so apparently too old for any of the u18s etc at my local ice rink. I have been having skating lessons, playing field hockey and practicing at a bit of roller hockey with a couple of friends to try and pick up some things for ice hockey all of them for about a year now. But I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of standard I would need to be at to play?

I know it is kind of a vague question just what kind of things would I need to be able to do etc Just my local rink is Oxford and there is a team there that I have asked about and would like to join when the season starts and obviously would like to be able to play in games etc asap so knowing what would be required would be helpful.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Old
06-11-2008, 05:51 AM
hluraven

There are a lot of rec teams of various standards - most rinks have a beginners level team. I have done 3 sessions with my local rec team - I had never been on ice in my life for the first one, and it wasn't much of a problem (although I was in goal). I have since taken a learn-to-skate course, and have no problems at all.

Oxford has quite a few rec teams, (Bulls, University Vikings, RAF Bluewings) I'm sure one of them is suitable and I think they are all open to all despite the names. Rec hockey actually plays mostly in Summer as Senior hockey doesn't, but they train and arrange challenge games throughout the year. Be prepared for anti-social hours though, our training starts at midnight as it is the only way to get ice-time.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Skooch McDazzle

Hey people. I'm a canadian moving to the UK in 3 weeks. Will I be able to find a team to play for once over there or any hockey at all? I'd love to keep skating. Let me know who I can talk to or how to go about it. Thanks

Old
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Try to find your local rink near to where you're going and talk to them about rec hockey.

http://www.eiha.co.uk/ - English Ice hockey association listing clubs etc.

Can also try the fan forums at www.thehockeyforum.com or www.eliteleague.com

Old
07-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Skooch McDazzle

thanks gwyddbwyll, really appreciate the help.

Closed Thread