HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal mayor demands removal of public Habs images

Old
04-12-2008, 10:50 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
The city of montreal should take care of their street and their ****ing "nid de poule". Its the same ****ing same story every year! And now our stupid mayor doesnt like are firefighter being habs fan! Brutal! They just show where their priority are!

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
It's not the same thing. They are cheering for their hockey team in a city where everyone is hockey crazy! Hockey may be a sport to some, but in Quebec, since the days when Maurice Richard played, it's been a way of life. The biggest funeral I have ever seen was the one for Richard. The firefighters didn't mean any harm to anyone. It's a show of support.. It's a message to the players and team that they are cheering for them.. How is this negative?

If anyone thinks that they firefighters were going to keep the paint up year round aren't very bright. It was pretty obvious that they were going to fix everything up after the play-offs..
Hey man let me spray paint on your house and on your car in big letters GO HABS GO! Don't worry, it's not graffiti, I'm just supporting my team!!!

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I really hope those neo-nazi firefighters that spray paint people's houses in order to manipulate the public get what's coming to them some day.

I hope and I pray.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:03 AM
ChickenHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The firefighters acting like *******s again. Total lack of professionalism.

Btw the way this has nothing to do with the Habs. They simply are damaging the public goods because their negociations with the city aren't going well.
Yes. And now they'll pay the bill

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:04 AM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
The city of montreal should take care of their street and their ****ing "nid de poule". Its the same ****ing same story every year! And now our stupid mayor doesnt like are firefighter being habs fan! Brutal! They just show where their priority are!
Any of you guys actually live in Montreal and not in St-Bruno or some such south-shore 'burbs?

'cause you'd have seen those firetrucks stickied with ugly union stickers, stripes of yellow/green/ugly paint and such. Uglyfying the trucks and buildings has been the official ****-you-Montreal-thing at firestations where any sort of conflict arise. Been for, at least, the last 15 years.

If anything, you should be mad at these guys for trying to uglyfy their trucks with habs paraphernalia.

Now, about Tremblay's decision to go public with his outrage, that's freakin' stupid too. No way anyone could spin it in a positive light, no matter how right he could be.

PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:06 AM
icerocket

Ya silly me, their intentions are purely saintly. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with their contract negociations going south so they are pulling a cheap stunt to get the public's opinion behind them.

They painted their trucks because they knew it would get a reaction out of the city and they knew the public would be shocked that that the city would get pissed because those heroes are just supporting our team! The "supporting" the team is just an excuse to gain more public support.

Old
04-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Blades 0f Steel

at some of the reactions in this thread.

Damaging public property? Do any of you know what kind of paint was used, Tempera or Acrylic, or the condition of the doors before they were painted?

Does it say anywhere that the firefighters won't clean it off after the playoffs?

Old
04-12-2008, 11:10 AM
icerocket

People who are saying the firefighters are just supporting the habs are so gullible it's sad.

Old
04-12-2008, 11:14 AM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
, or the condition of the doors before they were painted?
The condition of the doors was, most probably, 'damaged public property' already. They just changed the ugly paint/sticker scheme to another one, and they'll repaint their door fugly as soon as that little episode with the media is finished.

Not that I don't prefer them wearing jeans or applying stupid decals on their trucks to actually going on strike, but there's no way I'd be stupid enough to wave their stupid "**** you city" banner in their place just because they applied a coat of 'habs colour' over it.

But please do, if that's your thing.

Old
04-12-2008, 11:16 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
People who are saying the firefighters are just supporting the habs are so gullible it's sad.
Yeah. We all know montreal firefighters are Bruins fans.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Next thing you know, the cops are gonna have little Habs flags on their cars....

I know we're all fans here but they have a certain image they need to keep and doing what they're doing is not right.
It's public property they're painting on.
What's next for them, Habs shirts over their uniform?
I actually saw one putting a flag on his squad car yesterday morning on my way to class.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
ChickenHabsFan

Anyway, GO HABS GO !

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:21 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
It's not the same thing. They are cheering for their hockey team in a city where everyone is hockey crazy! Hockey may be a sport to some, but in Quebec, since the days when Maurice Richard played, it's been a way of life. The biggest funeral I have ever seen was the one for Richard. The firefighters didn't mean any harm to anyone. It's a show of support.. It's a message to the players and team that they are cheering for them.. How is this negative?

If anyone thinks that they firefighters were going to keep the paint up year round aren't very bright. It was pretty obvious that they were going to fix everything up after the play-offs..

There are more important things that need to be attended to.

An no, I don't compare cheering for your team with hate propaganda.

You can't compare the Habs with the Nazi.. On the contrary, some Quebecers hate non-French Habs. I've read all sorts of articles that speculated that Montreal can't win a cup unless they have a team full of Quebecers. But with the Habs recent success, there's a new found respect for a multi-cultural team and this is actually good for the community.. It makes everyone forget what country they are from and unites us in one common goal; to win the cup..

So no, I won't agree with you on this one..

Go Habs go!!

Go firefighters go!!
Moreso, hockey is part of their economy and directly effects the city in many ways. Showing support for such an economical driving force should be encouraged. Why is it ok to have signs on lawns and posters everywhere at election time? I'm not saying that's wrong either, but it's just an example of showing support for something that directly impacts the community. I see nothing wrong with what the firefighters are doing. It's mindboggling as to why this is even an issue.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
I'm surprised to see you wrong here,
I'm not use to that...

The firemen are paying for all the troubles they and other public unions have done in the past. It has nothing to do with the habs, it's just another way to show they are running their own business and nobody has nothing to say about it 'cause they save lives. Yeah, once every year or so. Anyways, it's not about how many lives they save but if I painted my window's office, I'd be fired. If I'd put a flag, it'd would have been ok. A little more discernment would have been great from people that were trained to use discernment.
It depends on the job. In many blue collar jobs, waterpaint on the windows is fine. As McPhee has stated, many fire houses paint the windows in celebration of certain holidays, so there is no difference when it comes to celebrating Montreal`s playoff entry.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Belso

Quote:
Hey man let me spray paint on your house and on your car in big letters GO HABS GO! Don't worry, it's not graffiti, I'm just supporting my team!!!
They didn't paint on MY car and MY house. They PAINTED THEIR FIRE STATION!

Why are people so anal about this.. It's all in good spirit. No one will suffer from their paining the place they work at.. People painted the Windows with snow men at Concordia. It was private property. No one said anything at Christmas. The dean didn't ask people to take the paint off because some students at Concordia aren't Catholic.

No one complains when the Mayor goes to restaurants for business lunches and spends thousands every year at fancy restaurants with yes, MY TAX MONEY, but when Fire fighters paint their garage door and windows with the Bleu Blanc Rouge, they are criminals and Anarchists..

And all of you who are against the Fire fighters claim to be hockey fans! Go post on some pro-mayor party pooper board instead..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
dlandry77

What a waste of tax payers money. Good job for wrecking something cool. They couldn't get them to take it down after the playoffs are over???

Concentrate on real issues and stop wasting peoples time and money. I am from Edmonton and think that is stupid.

Playoffs are supposed to be the best time of year, exciting and great for the city to get together. It is really dissapointing that some people just can't enjoy what our country is really about. In my opinion any city could have done this and I would have been fine with it.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 01:00 PM
PaulPosition

Quote:
And all of you who are against the Fire fighters claim to be hockey fans! Go post on some pro-mayor party pooper board instead..
Dude, it's simple. Firefighters paint their stuff instead of going on strike. FINE. This season, instead of just uglyfying stuff they went with a habs theme. NICER STILL. After all, a great deal of 'em firefighters must be fans.

but then... :

-"Mr. Mayor, firefighters have again 'vandalized' their equipment by painting it (in habs colour). What will you do?"
-"Same as is written in city's policy - Ask them to remove it."

NEWS FLASH, Mayor hates habs, wants all imagery removed
NEWS FLASH, Mayor is the worstest party-pooper

NOT INTELLIGENT.

The City of Montreal has never asked for removal of small decals, flags and (french:fanions?) and such. It does, however, objects to systematic 'customization' of public property. Again : How could they NOT ?

They're not going to unleash the police force at them like they'd do if they were cutting through the firehoses, they only state the obvious : the city doesn't approve, the union will have to pay.

(And, *****, I don't even like this one municipal government)

Old
04-12-2008, 01:43 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
Dude, it's simple. Firefighters paint their stuff instead of going on strike. FINE. This season, instead of just uglyfying stuff they went with a habs theme. NICER STILL. After all, a great deal of 'em firefighters must be fans.

but then... :

-"Mr. Mayor, firefighters have again 'vandalized' their equipment by painting it (in habs colour). What will you do?"
-"Same as is written in city's policy - Ask them to remove it."

NEWS FLASH, Mayor hates habs, wants all imagery removed
NEWS FLASH, Mayor is the worstest party-pooper

NOT INTELLIGENT.

The City of Montreal has never asked for removal of small decals, flags and (french:fanions?) and such. It does, however, objects to systematic 'customization' of public property. Again : How could they NOT ?

They're not going to unleash the police force at them like they'd do if they were cutting through the firehoses, they only state the obvious : the city doesn't approve, the union will have to pay.

(And, *****, I don't even like this one municipal government)
as whoever the fire captain being interviewed in 990 the other day said, they put up Chrismas stuff,St.Patrick's, so why not ? I tend to get reall annoyed at pressure tactics [no pun intended]. Whether or not this began as a political manoeuver with the union and the mayor got suckered, does that part really matter ? Like you say, there's been a long standing feud here, fine, I don't much care anymore. Sometimes, it's ok to look at the small picture. If they want to put up CH's, and Go Habs Go signs, who cares ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
as whoever the fire captain being interviewed in 990 the other day said, they put up Chrismas stuff,St.Patrick's, so why not ? I tend to get reall annoyed at pressure tactics [no pun intended]. Whether or not this began as a political manoeuver with the union and the mayor got suckered, does that part really matter ? Like you say, there's been a long standing feud here, fine, I don't much care anymore. Sometimes, it's ok to look at the small picture. If they want to put up CH's, and Go Habs Go signs, who cares ?
Putting up decorations and flags is not the same as painting the walls of a public building...

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull View Post
Putting up decorations and flags is not the same as painting the walls of a public building...
It was the windows, and they can be washed off easily--they are regularly. So it is essentially a decoration.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
It was the windows, and they can be washed off easily--they are regularly. So it is essentially a decoration.

Not that it matters all that much to me, but in the photo it's on part of the wall as well as the windows.

Old
04-12-2008, 02:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheBull View Post
If the playoffs were done and these young men weren't using the hose to wash off the paint, then I'd summon up a 'what a bunch of lazy bums ' rant, but right now ?

My best freind's a school principal, one of the best instinct guys I've ever seen. If something's going on that he's supposed to be against, and it isn't a big deal to him, he finds it easy to not notice certain things.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

People sometimes read way too much into things too. No disrespect here man, but I really think it's quite possible they simply want to support the team, the city and show their colours and nothing more. I like your theory and all, but it's not how people operate in real life. People don't come up with elaborate plans like that just to "show up the city". At least not in my experience.

Why can't it be assumed that they are only proud of the team like everyone else?

Again, just my opinion.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 04:08 PM
BaseballCoach

I am really geting old. Vision isn't what it used to be.

When I first read the title, I didn't see the "l" in public.

At least it made sense, though, the mayor wanting propriety and all.

Then, when I read it again later, realized my mistake, it hit me, what a tool this guy is! It never would have occured to me that a mayor would demand the removal of images of a winning sports team.

Is he out of touch or what?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I am really geting old. Vision isn't what it used to be.

When I first read the title, I didn't see the "l" in public.

At least it made sense, though, the mayor wanting propriety and all.

Then, when I read it again later, realized my mistake, it hit me, what a tool this guy is! It never would have occured to me that a mayor would demand the removal of images of a winning sports team.

Is he out of touch or what?
He's either out of touch or really stupid.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote