Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Hotel Help?

Hey guys I need some help. I found out that I can use my Airmiles to get a free hotel room from Best Western. From what I can see these 6 hotels are the closest to the TD Banknorth Garden. Can anyone tell me anything about which one might be the best location and/or best hotel?

Best Western Boston The Inn At Longwood Medical (Boston)

Best Western Roundhouse Suites (Boston)

Best Western Terrace Inn (Boston)

Best Western Hotel Tria (Cambridge)

Best Western Adams Inn (Quincy)

Best Western New Englander (Woburn)

Thanks!

Old
04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
mike800d

Best T station to South

I am planning to drive to Saturday April 4 game from Connecticut. Thinking of parking at T station in Forest Hills and taking Orange Line to and from North Station. Is this a good plan? Will there be enough parking and will my car still be there when I get back? Any better options? I plan to take 95 back to CT that night. I thought I read on the Herald that the Forest Hills stop is one of the highest crime stops, is that true? Thanks very much in advance! Mike

Old
04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Hey guys I need some help. I found out that I can use my Airmiles to get a free hotel room from Best Western. From what I can see these 6 hotels are the closest to the TD Banknorth Garden. Can anyone tell me anything about which one might be the best location and/or best hotel?

Best Western Boston The Inn At Longwood Medical (Boston)

Best Western Roundhouse Suites (Boston)

Best Western Terrace Inn (Boston)

Best Western Hotel Tria (Cambridge)

Best Western Adams Inn (Quincy)

Best Western New Englander (Woburn)

Thanks!
I should probably mention that I'll be coming with my wife and 2 kids (age 3 & 11)

The ones in Cambridge and Woburn have indoor pools too so that's a plus for the kids.

Between Cambridge & Woburn what's the better area / hotel?

Google Maps says that the one in Cambridge is about 5 Miles / 20 Minutes from the Garden and the one in Woburn is about 10 Miles / 15 minutes. (Not sure how the one that is 10 Miles away is a shorter drive?)

Old
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Need a Neely

Quote:
I should probably mention that I'll be coming with my wife and 2 kids (age 3 & 11)

The ones in Cambridge and Woburn have indoor pools too so that's a plus for the kids.

Between Cambridge & Woburn what's the better area / hotel?

Google Maps says that the one in Cambridge is about 5 Miles / 20 Minutes from the Garden and the one in Woburn is about 10 Miles / 15 minutes. (Not sure how the one that is 10 Miles away is a shorter drive?)

Probably less city driving, more highway.

Old
04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike800d View Post
I am planning to drive to Saturday April 4 game from Connecticut. Thinking of parking at T station in Forest Hills and taking Orange Line to and from North Station. Is this a good plan? Will there be enough parking and will my car still be there when I get back? Any better options? I plan to take 95 back to CT that night. I thought I read on the Herald that the Forest Hills stop is one of the highest crime stops, is that true? Thanks very much in advance! Mike
If you're going to drive up from CT, you might as well just drive all the way into the "Garden". However, If you must take the T, I think Parking at Quincy Adams is a better option. Take Red Line to either Downtown Crossing(Orange Line) or Park St(Green Line) and take either of those lines to North Station.

Old
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike800d View Post
I would drive into Cambridge and park on Cambridge St and either walk or take the green from Lechmere which is 2 stops away. Parking on Cambridge St. is free after 5pm. and I cam usually get a spot right in front of the station, if not there is parking all the way down Cambridge St.

Old
04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need a Neely View Post
Probably less city driving, more highway.
Yes looking @ the map I think you're right. Which location would be better from a Transit point of view?

Old
04-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

So we're staying in Woburn (wife HAD to fly so not enough Airmiles left to stay in Cambridge) on Rainin Road. Does anyone know what the closest T station is (the Hotel has a Free Shuttle) and what would be the best way to get to the Garden from here? Also about how long should it take on Transit?

Thanks again!

Old
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
So we're staying in Woburn (wife HAD to fly so not enough Airmiles left to stay in Cambridge) on Rainin Road. Does anyone know what the closest T station is (the Hotel has a Free Shuttle) and what would be the best way to get to the Garden from here? Also about how long should it take on Transit?

Thanks again!
Not exactly sure which hotel you are staying at, but its probably the Andersen RTC. Its a train/bus station in North Woburn. Commuter rail train will take you directly into north station (below TDBNG), for about $5 each way. Last train is usually at or around midnight.

Old
04-08-2008, 10:54 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

I think I know where you are staying after looking at it on googlemaps.

There is a Bickfords across the street so you have breakfast covered at least.

Theres a wendys, polcaris, White hen, and liquor store all nearby as well, within a 5 minute walk.

Old
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
Not exactly sure which hotel you are staying at, but its probably the Andersen RTC. Its a train/bus station in North Woburn. Commuter rail train will take you directly into north station (below TDBNG), for about $5 each way. Last train is usually at or around midnight.
Thanks!

Old
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
zurg999

Question: How will traffic be on the turnpike (I-90) coming in from the west, crossing the city at about 3PM, heading for Logan?

Thanks!

Old
04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

I'm flying in tomorrow and staying at the Bulfinch

Question: How much will a cab cost me from the airport to there?

Old
04-12-2008, 12:26 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Question: How will traffic be on the turnpike (I-90) coming in from the west, crossing the city at about 3PM, heading for Logan?

Thanks!
No traffic at all.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:28 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonder01 View Post
I'm flying in tomorrow and staying at the Bulfinch

Question: How much will a cab cost me from the airport to there?
It's 2.5 miles. I took a cab the other day about 2 miles and it was like 10 bucks. But there's a 3 dollar toll that you'll likely have to pay. I'd say somewhere around 10-15.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Bruins Fan View Post
It's 2.5 miles. I took a cab the other day about 2 miles and it was like 10 bucks. But there's a 3 dollar toll that you'll likely have to pay. I'd say somewhere around 10-15.
excellent.. didn't realize the airport was so close!!

thank you

Old
04-12-2008, 12:34 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonder01 View Post
excellent.. didn't realize the airport was so close!!

thank you
Well I looked it up on google and it said if you take the Sumner tunnel its 2.5 miles. If he goes the Mass. Pike its probably 4 miles and there's a three dollar toll. Sumner tunnel might not have a toll either I'm not sure I've never taken it.

Not sure if the cabbie will just take the Sumner by default or not. I'm sure you can figure out how to handle it.

Old
04-12-2008, 11:26 PM
ChrisF

any cabbie going into downtown boston will take the sumner, and yes there is a toll. the williams tunnel is handy for people heading west or south of the city.

traffic in the pike from the west on sunday is hit or miss. you should be ok though, just tune into wbz am 1030 for traffic on the threes on your way in to the city to see what's up.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
I just reserved a table at the Tresca, restaurant owned by Raymond Bourque. Any suggestion on what should I eat?

http://www.trescanorthend.com/menu.htm

Old
04-16-2008, 06:32 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

A few notes for potential visitors.

1) Check out the freedom trail. There are walking tours (not sure if they're free, I hitched along with one) and the whole thing is really interesting, even if you aren't American.

2) If you're going to Fours, go before the game. Afterward, it was one of several places that denied us entry because we were Hab fans. Presumably this isn't an issue for other teams' fans, but it might be. I wasn't impressed and got in quite a heated exchange with the manager over it.

3) Hostelling International - Boston has a pretty good setup over near Fenway. It's not terribly close to the arena, but for $40/night it's pretty cheap and sits in a very neat area full of great jazz/blues lounges due to all the music colleges nearby.

4) There are more class acts than the disgusting fans you usually hear about, but unfortunately their voices are quieter when all is said and done. Hard to contend with the post-game "***" chants directed at 10-year olds.

Old
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM
kieley

OT: Coming to Boston?

Hey guys, I didn't know if there was a better place to make this thread, if so maybe a mod could move it for me to the appropriate place.

I'm looking into taking a road trip to Boston from Halifax, Nova Scotia in mid August with a couple buddies of mine.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out in terms of where to stay (i.e. list of decent, low-priced hotels), what to do (w/ websites and everything), etc. Basically I was looking for everything I need to take into consideration for the trip.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help everyone.

Old
06-24-2008, 09:54 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieley View Post
Hey guys, I didn't know if there was a better place to make this thread, if so maybe a mod could move it for me to the appropriate place.

I'm looking into taking a road trip to Boston from Halifax, Nova Scotia in mid August with a couple buddies of mine.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out in terms of where to stay (i.e. list of decent, low-priced hotels), what to do (w/ websites and everything), etc. Basically I was looking for everything I need to take into consideration for the trip.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help everyone.
It all depends on if you plan on staying within the city limits and in what you want to do. Are you guys looking to do the tourist thing, or just hang out? If you can give some specifics I can make some suggestions.

Since its august, theres a few things that come to mind.

1 - North End Festas - usually on weekends. Lots of good italian food and whatnot, all throughout the month of august. Bring cash.

2 - Red sox (good luck getting tickets), and Patriots (pre-season) - There should be plenty of pre-season seats available if you are desperate for some football. Most season ticket holders sell them at face value or below (not a hot ticket for the pre season).

Theres tons of other stuff, but you have to kind of narrow down what you want to see/do/accomplish.

-DC

Old
06-25-2008, 02:38 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

OT-Fenway

I have not had the chance to get to Fenway in many years and my memory of the area is a little fuzzy.
I am hoping to get up for a game on either July 13th or 14th, taking a few friends up including a diehard Sox fan who has not been to Fenway.
Are there any good hotels in that area that will not cost an arm and a leg? And what about bars in the area anyone have any suggestions or personal favorites and is there anything else in the area that is a must see for an out of towner?

Any additional information is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys.

Old
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
I have not had the chance to get to Fenway in many years and my memory of the area is a little fuzzy.
I am hoping to get up for a game on either July 13th or 14th, taking a few friends up including a diehard Sox fan who has not been to Fenway.
Are there any good hotels in that area that will not cost an arm and a leg? And what about bars in the area anyone have any suggestions or personal favorites and is there anything else in the area that is a must see for an out of towner?

Any additional information is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys.
Theres a Holiday Inn on the corner of St. Paul and Beacon St., thats probably as close are you are going to get without breaking the bank, although 200 a night isnt exactly cheap.

Theres tons to do and see. Some of the more touristy things include touring fenway park, the boston duck tours, and fanueil hall.

-DC

Old
07-02-2008, 05:11 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
OT: stuff to do in Boston

I know you guys are doing the whole FA thing, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a few things that someone who doesnt drink could do in the city, barring "historical stuff" - much obliged

Closed Thread