HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Thoughts on Leafs first and second round.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2004, 10:37 AM
  #1
beerpaul*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Thoughts on Leafs first and second round.

Now that the Leafs have put the Ottawa *****cats out of their misery, they can look forward to a completely different series against the Flyers. The problem with Ottawa lies with the coach. Martin should have learned the first time the *****cats lost to the Leafs that: 1 you have to put traffic, and bend the rules a bit, and get in the goalie's area. 2 you can't keep throwing Bonk over the boards, even if he has played without passion every year he's been in the playoffs. The coach doesn't show any passion and that rubs off on his players. Because coach Hitchcock is a 10 times better coach than Martin, watch how he deals with a hot goaltender. Belfour was only hot because of the way the *****cats played against them...don't get too near his crease, and play it clean...it's okay if Belfour can see all the shots...he can't stop them all can he? Watch what Hitchcock does. There will be more traffic and contact in Belfour's crease than rush hour on the 401. Finally, yes Lalime was horrid in game 7, but the *****cats scored very early in the second period to make it 3-1 and had 2 periods left to get a goal per period... they never even came close.

beerpaul* is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 11:53 AM
  #2
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Flyers will do wahta Ottawa didn't , and that's get the ugly in front of the net goals. We crash, and crash hard, so we'll keep Belfour on his toes. If we are succesful at getting under his skin, this series can be over quick.
It's like allt he analysts said, it will either be Leafs in 7 or Flyers in 4 or 5.

Teezax is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
  #3
The Jerk
Registered User
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Woodbrige, Ontario
Country: India
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Teezax]Flyers will do wahta Ottawa didn't , and that's get the ugly in front of the net goals. We crash, and crash hard, so we'll keep Belfour on his toes. If we are succesful at getting under his skin, this series can be over quick.
It's like allt he analysts said, it will either be Leafs in 7 or Flyers in 4 or 5.[/QUOTE

I think it's a little early to make a prediction like that, we just beat the team you lost to last season..I was just having a look at the last few posts that you've made, you seem like you're trying to convince yourself more then anyone else..I think the Sens are a better team then the Flyers, we just beat them, and we played like crap most of the series..what happens when they actually start showing up like they did in game 7??

The Jerk is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 12:18 PM
  #4
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
I didn't make any predictions, we play crash the net, that's fact. My opinions are my own, it's ok for you to disagree. And I have said that the Leafs didn't look good in the first round, and they have to elevate their game because they can't rely on Eddie winning every game. Even Quinn said taht, it's the truth. I know the Leafs can play well, but which team will show up for them, the good or bad?

Teezax is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
  #5
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 34,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
I could see the leafs stealing the series... or philly. It's too close to call so early imho.

Porn* is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 02:56 PM
  #6
Nielson81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
People who say "We Just beat the team you lost to last year" really piss me off.

This is the 2004 Playoffs, not the 2003 or 2002 playoffs.

Comparing teams to previous playoffs is just plain STUPID.

Unbiased Canadian

Nielson81 is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 03:04 PM
  #7
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
People who say "We Just beat the team you lost to last year" really piss me off.

This is the 2004 Playoffs, not the 2003 or 2002 playoffs.

Comparing teams to previous playoffs is just plain STUPID.

Unbiased Canadian
You pissed off at the Flyers fan that keep bringing up last years playoffs aswell?

Savage is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 03:06 PM
  #8
Nielson81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
You pissed off at the Flyers fan that keep bringing up last years playoffs aswell?
Ya I do, sure you knocked off the defending champs, that was last year.

Unbiased Canadian

Nielson81 is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 03:08 PM
  #9
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
People who say "We Just beat the team you lost to last year" really piss me off.

This is the 2004 Playoffs, not the 2003 or 2002 playoffs.

Comparing teams to previous playoffs is just plain STUPID.

Unbiased Canadian
Agreed, but can you explain all the hype about beating the "defending Stanley Cup Champions"? That's what I've heard from a few Philly fans, and you didn't rush to the Leafs defence on that one...

Anyways, you're right, who cares who beat who in what year. Let's live in 2004.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 07:17 PM
  #10
Carl Spackler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
[/QUOTE]I think it's a little early to make a prediction like that, we just beat the team you lost to last season..I was just having a look at the last few posts that you've made, you seem like you're trying to convince yourself more then anyone else..I think the Sens are a better team then the Flyers, we just beat them, and we played like crap most of the series..what happens when they actually start showing up like they did in game 7??[/QUOTE]

Yes, but now you are playing the team that beat you last playoffs.....

Carl Spackler is offline  
Old
04-22-2004, 09:23 PM
  #11
Sting
Registered User
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
It's the style of play. Ottawa finds ways to beat Philly. Toronto finds ways to beat Ottawa. Philly finds ways to beat T.O. A lot of it is mental but a lot is also that one strategy can be effective vs one team, and not against the other. I'm not sure why you're putting down the Sens so much considering they likely would've beaten the Flyers had they made it past the Leafs. Of course that's only a prediction.

Sting is offline  
Old
04-23-2004, 12:37 PM
  #12
SENSational
Registered User
 
SENSational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Ottawa should have won the series in 4 games but Belfour stood on his head


Last edited by rabi_sultan: 04-25-2004 at 08:01 AM. Reason: took out slanderous libel, SENSational don't do it again
SENSational is offline  
Old
04-26-2004, 01:48 PM
  #13
beerpaul*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Ottawa made Belfour look like he stood on his head. They played virtually the whole series on the perimeter and never invaded Eddie's space. Ever ask yourself why certain teams make Belfour look good and some bad? Buffalo and Philly have no problem scoring on Toronto because they play in the tough areas near/on the crease area. Is Buffalo or Philly more offensively talented than Ottawa? No dice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSational
Ottawa should have won the series in 4 games but Belfour stood on his head

beerpaul* is offline  
Old
05-01-2004, 02:12 PM
  #14
Bloody Sabbath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
well it's obvious that the leafs have played their best hockey in games 3 and 4 against philly. hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

Bloody Sabbath is offline  
Old
05-01-2004, 03:08 PM
  #15
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_tml89
well it's obvious that the leafs have played their best hockey in games 3 and 4 against philly. hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.
If the Leafs can keep it up, I've got a certain fork to stick in a certain team.

However thats a big IF.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
05-02-2004, 08:52 AM
  #16
Schenn02
Registered User
 
Schenn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: abroad
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Well in the Ottawa series, Ottawa did nothing that Philly does, like crash the net. In most games against Ottawa, we were outplayed. But in the Philly series, we are pretty much equal however the momentum and good moments shift. May the best team win...GO LEAFS GO!

Schenn02 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
  #17
HavoK041
Registered User
 
HavoK041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Good riddance "Leaf Nation" and good riddance grapes. You lame homer.

What will TSN report on now?? UH OH!

HavoK041 is offline  
Old
05-04-2004, 11:17 PM
  #18
Hellsempire
Registered User
 
Hellsempire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Rock Section 233
Country: United States
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_HavoK
Good riddance "Leaf Nation" and good riddance grapes. You lame homer.

What will TSN report on now?? UH OH!



Probably the Calgary Flames... :lol

Hellsempire is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 08:39 AM
  #19
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 500
In the first round Ed Belfour stole the show.. he was the only reason they made it past Ottawa.. and unlike Ottawa Philly crashed the net hard hard hard, therefore were able to get into Belfour's head, instead of Beflour being able to get into theirs..

The problem with Toronto is that they're too old.. they have a ton of skilled future hall of famers.. but they're all at the end of their careers.. Nolan was injured and this was a great loss to the team.. Francis would have helped in the last game for sure.. I can't really think of too many youthful players on the rise on this Toronto team.. Stajan.. thats it..

Flame at will...

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 11:59 AM
  #20
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
In the first round Ed Belfour stole the show.. he was the only reason they made it past Ottawa.. and unlike Ottawa Philly crashed the net hard hard hard, therefore were able to get into Belfour's head, instead of Beflour being able to get into theirs..

The problem with Toronto is that they're too old.. they have a ton of skilled future hall of famers.. but they're all at the end of their careers.. Nolan was injured and this was a great loss to the team.. Francis would have helped in the last game for sure.. I can't really think of too many youthful players on the rise on this Toronto team.. Stajan.. thats it..

Flame at will...
Just as I blame Ottawa's exit on Lalime for his horrendous display in Game 7 vs. TO, I place the blame here on Mccabe, for his brutal Game 5. The Leafs chances to win this series were blown with Mccabe's 2 giveaways in Philly. That was the deciding game IMO.

Pilar looked like a pylon yesterday aswell. I can't help but wonder why the Leafs traded Jackman for Berehowsky, and why they signed Johansson if they were planning on playing Pilar when it really mattered. Where's the reasoning in that??

I have to give respect the Robert Esche too, he weathered the early storm in Game 6, in which the Leafs were clearly the better team for the most part.

I also question Quinn's decisions. I would have played Sundin with Roberts and Mogilny in Game 6 just as he did in Game 4. Having Tucker on there instead of Mogilny makes them less dangerous. I know he wanted 2 lines that could score, but go with what worked in the past. I don't think the Leafs won 1 game vs. Philly without a stacked Top line. The balancing act by Quinn hurt the team.

Anyways good effort, but lots of things I thought could have been different.

Fan-of-#9 is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 10:12 AM
  #21
beerpaul*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Toronto has zero grade 1 prospects waiting in the wings. If people thing Mat Stajen is the saviour for the Leafs...I have some land I'd like to sell you. He'll be a third(maybe second liner) at best. The Toronto media has way overhyped him...not really fair to Mat. The Leafs have to try and acquire young talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
In the first round Ed Belfour stole the show.. he was the only reason they made it past Ottawa.. and unlike Ottawa Philly crashed the net hard hard hard, therefore were able to get into Belfour's head, instead of Beflour being able to get into theirs..

The problem with Toronto is that they're too old.. they have a ton of skilled future hall of famers.. but they're all at the end of their careers.. Nolan was injured and this was a great loss to the team.. Francis would have helped in the last game for sure.. I can't really think of too many youthful players on the rise on this Toronto team.. Stajan.. thats it..

Flame at will...

beerpaul* is offline  
Old
05-08-2004, 11:58 PM
  #22
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
Toronto has zero grade 1 prospects waiting in the wings. If people thing Mat Stajen is the saviour for the Leafs...I have some land I'd like to sell you. He'll be a third(maybe second liner) at best. The Toronto media has way overhyped him...not really fair to Mat. The Leafs have to try and acquire young talent.
As far as I know that's all anyone is expecting from him. Where did you see all this "way overhyping" of him or people thinking he's the Leaf's "saviour"?

Leaf's may not have any "grade 1" prospects (whatever that means) but they have a decent farm for the first time in years. Certainly it's nowhere near the top of the league, but they actually have some guys who have a chance to play in the NHL and Stajan is the first to make it. He's already made the team and had a successful rookie campaign, if he stays on the team as a 3rd/4th line centre and doesn't suffer too much of a sophomore slump I think most Leaf fans will be quite satisfied.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 04:49 PM
  #23
beerpaul*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Who's the good prospect on the team...besides Carlo Col.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
As far as I know that's all anyone is expecting from him. Where did you see all this "way overhyping" of him or people thinking he's the Leaf's "saviour"?

Leaf's may not have any "grade 1" prospects (whatever that means) but they have a decent farm for the first time in years. Certainly it's nowhere near the top of the league, but they actually have some guys who have a chance to play in the NHL and Stajan is the first to make it. He's already made the team and had a successful rookie campaign, if he stays on the team as a 3rd/4th line centre and doesn't suffer too much of a sophomore slump I think most Leaf fans will be quite satisfied.

beerpaul* is offline  
Old
05-11-2004, 04:56 PM
  #24
DutchLeafsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
Who's the good prospect on the team...besides Carlo Col.?
Alexander Steen

DutchLeafsfan is offline  
Old
05-12-2004, 03:08 AM
  #25
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Just as I blame Ottawa's exit on Lalime for his horrendous display in Game 7 vs. TO, I place the blame here on Mccabe, for his brutal Game 5. The Leafs chances to win this series were blown with Mccabe's 2 giveaways in Philly. That was the deciding game IMO.

Pilar looked like a pylon yesterday aswell. I can't help but wonder why the Leafs traded Jackman for Berehowsky, and why they signed Johansson if they were planning on playing Pilar when it really mattered. Where's the reasoning in that??

I have to give respect the Robert Esche too, he weathered the early storm in Game 6, in which the Leafs were clearly the better team for the most part.

I also question Quinn's decisions. I would have played Sundin with Roberts and Mogilny in Game 6 just as he did in Game 4. Having Tucker on there instead of Mogilny makes them less dangerous. I know he wanted 2 lines that could score, but go with what worked in the past. I don't think the Leafs won 1 game vs. Philly without a stacked Top line. The balancing act by Quinn hurt the team.

Anyways good effort, but lots of things I thought could have been different.
Flyers were the better team in the first period of gam3 6. Leafs were better in the 2nd and for a good portion of the 3rd, OT was fantastic with both teams getting great chances to end the game

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.