HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHLPA files grievance over pads size reduction.

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 09:48 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
By your reasoning wouldn't defenseman 'evolve'? They'll be smart enough not to get plastered every time.
The only way defencemen could avoid the hits would be to leave the puck for their opponents.

I think it was Rob Blake who said, "Are they trying to kill us?"...Referring to the NHL when he heard of the proposal of goaltenders not playing the puck behind the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Habber
With all the trapping, which is effective because of the clutching, hooking and grabbing teams are able to incorporate into it
A good trap does not involve obstruction. Teams like New Jersey and Minnesota block neutral zone passing lanes with smart positioning. They don't clutch and grab.

The last team to go anywhere with an obstruction trap was the 1996 Florida Panthers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
BUT there is definately something wrong when defensemen and trap positioning dominate the league. i am so tired of players hanging back just to play the trap. it's boring and it's not hockey. hockey was meant to be high flying with lots of hits and lots of saves.
The trap is hockey. It has been a part of hockey for decades. The only reason it is so popular among teams now is because since it won a Stanley Cup, nobody has figured out a way to consistantly beat it.

We are simply in a "trap era". The offence of the 1980's wasn't always how hockey was played. Before the offence of the 1980's was a "trap era". That trap era was beaten by the dynasties in the New York Islanders and Edmonton Oilers with super offensive systems. Teams tried to play those systems because they won. That was until New Jersey won in 1995, then Detroit followed up with 2 straight Stanley Cups while playing a Left Wing Lock.

It is a cycle. The trap will only go away when a "run-and-gun" offensive team can win a few Stanley Cups.

Old
05-11-2004, 10:31 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

I like the smaller pads idea. I'm hoping it will improve offense, not just goal scoring. If its easier to score on a goalie then teams may be rewarded for being more offensively orientated. More rewards for offense = hopefully less defensive systems. Still some coaches might go the opposite way and think the more vulnerable my goalie the more negative the defense must be. Whether it happens will remain to be seen.

Old
05-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
All they need to do is call interference/obstruction when Turco does what he likes to do...I have no problem with that. I think its over-reacting a bit to make goalies fair game, or limiting their skill. Just call interference, and Turco and other goalies will stop doing it.

Old
05-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
It needs to be fixed because it's broken. It's that simple. And Ed Belfour is one of the better puck-handlers in the entire league, you should know that since he won the Cup with your team not so long ago, so I dont know where your second comment comes from. I want this rule changed *in spite* of the fact that my team's goaltender is good at it, not because it's an area of deficiency for him.
My second comment wasnt directed at you, but at many of the other people who just seem to want it changed because they dont have a Brodeur or a Turco who can handle the puck, IMO.

Old
05-12-2004, 04:19 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by van
The trap is hockey. It has been a part of hockey for decades. The only reason it is so popular among teams now is because since it won a Stanley Cup, nobody has figured out a way to consistantly beat it.

We are simply in a "trap era". The offence of the 1980's wasn't always how hockey was played. Before the offence of the 1980's was a "trap era". That trap era was beaten by the dynasties in the New York Islanders and Edmonton Oilers with super offensive systems. Teams tried to play those systems because they won. That was until New Jersey won in 1995, then Detroit followed up with 2 straight Stanley Cups while playing a Left Wing Lock.

It is a cycle. The trap will only go away when a "run-and-gun" offensive team can win a few Stanley Cups.
you make a valid point, but i still refuse to call the trap "hockey" just beucase it's been used in the decades before the 80's. to reiterate, hockey was never meant ot be a sport where you hold back on attacks, clutch and grab, then focusing on defensive positioning. it was more geared towards high flying offense then anything else. you're correct, this game has evolved into a defensive era, but one of the reasons why is becuase the ice surface is now too small and players are too big. this forced the evolution of players from small, talented, and fast to big players who implement "clutch and grab" as a major defensive technique. THIS is not hockey. as someone said before, games are now played "not to lose" instead of "to win". I hate this mentality and think the NHL should get on the ball to change this.

I am a big fan of 4 on 4 hockey. i think OT is great because there is so much room and w/ all that space, it just makes it that much more diffiuclt to trap. Heck, if I had it my way, I'd try looking at olympic ice 4 on 4 hockey. If they can still trap on that, then by all means, do it. but i'm wiling to bet that the big, slow clutch and grab players will be eliminated by those with speed. give the players some room and call every penalty, then we'll see how defensive teams can be.

Closed Thread