HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Baking question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
  #1
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,858
vCash: 990
Skate Baking question

Quick question for you guys:

I've been skating for years and never came across this: I bought a new pair of roller blades a few weeks back, and had them baked when I bought them. However, lately as I've started my league, and been skating much harder, I notice I get a blister on both of my feet in the same spot (inside heel, high). I was wondering if getting them baked again is

1. Possible
2. Advisable
3. Will solve my problem

or if there is something else I can do to minimze the discomfort? I've used the skates for something like 100 hours already, so they're very much mine, but I have never had a problem with blisters after owning skates for so long. Thanks for any help

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
  #2
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Quick question for you guys:

I've been skating for years and never came across this: I bought a new pair of roller blades a few weeks back, and had them baked when I bought them. However, lately as I've started my league, and been skating much harder, I notice I get a blister on both of my feet in the same spot (inside heel, high). I was wondering if getting them baked again is

1. Possible
2. Advisable
3. Will solve my problem

or if there is something else I can do to minimze the discomfort? I've used the skates for something like 100 hours already, so they're very much mine, but I have never had a problem with blisters after owning skates for so long. Thanks for any help
try getting them punched first. This should be less expensive ($10 probably) and more area specific.

Basically the affected area is compressed allowing more room.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
  #3
Anonymous
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
I just bought a pair of Mission ice skates today and there was a little sheet of paper on in the box mentioning that they could be baked up to 3 times. I'm not sure if other skates / brands have similar or different limitations.

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:25 PM
  #4
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I just bought a pair of Mission ice skates today and there was a little sheet of paper on in the box mentioning that they could be baked up to 3 times. I'm not sure if other skates / brands have similar or different limitations.
All skates that can be baked are recommended to be baked a max of 3 times.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
  #5
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,858
vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
All skates that can be baked are recommended to be baked a max of 3 times.
That's what I was looking for..

Thanks for that info.

One more question: Is there anything I can wear or wrap around my ankle that would stop the blisters from occuring? I've tried moleskin and bandaids, but the sweat rubs them off and I'm usually skating in pain after an hour.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:04 PM
  #6
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
That's what I was looking for..

Thanks for that info.

One more question: Is there anything I can wear or wrap around my ankle that would stop the blisters from occuring? I've tried moleskin and bandaids, but the sweat rubs them off and I'm usually skating in pain after an hour.
http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...%20Protection/

we sell this:
http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...nkle%20Sleeve/

and this:
http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...%20Gel%20Disc/

Don't be fooled by the toe-nail paint, I know former pro and college guys who wear both of these.

I don't have any first hand experience with the other items, but this company makes excellent products.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:25 AM
  #7
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart
 
The Lollipop King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
You should make sure you are tying your skates up properly, and wear socks that are not loose.


Last edited by The Lollipop King: 04-13-2008 at 11:35 AM.
The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
  #8
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
try getting them punched first. This should be less expensive ($10 probably) and more area specific.

Basically the affected area is compressed allowing more room.
Actually, do you think it might be because there's too much room in the heel that the OP's foot is rubbing -- causing the blisters?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:13 PM
  #9
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Actually, do you think it might be because there's too much room in the heel that the OP's foot is rubbing -- causing the blisters?
That is very possible. Baking the skate won't help much because most skates don't mold as much up at the ankles. They're not made that way. Also, if you try and tie the ankles especially tight it may damage the eyelets.

If they are too loose, you can try "baking" them with a heat gun or hairdryer. Tie them on as tight as you need, then put the hairdryer (or heat gun on lower setting) on your ankles.

If they are too tight, then punching would work better than baking.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
  #10
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,858
vCash: 990
Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, I've gotten a lot of ideas on what to do

I'm going to try to get them punched in the high pressure area, and wear tighter socks, and if that doesn't work I will get them rebaked once more and maybe try some sort of blister protection.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.