HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Baking question

Old
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Skate Baking question

Quick question for you guys:

I've been skating for years and never came across this: I bought a new pair of roller blades a few weeks back, and had them baked when I bought them. However, lately as I've started my league, and been skating much harder, I notice I get a blister on both of my feet in the same spot (inside heel, high). I was wondering if getting them baked again is

1. Possible
2. Advisable
3. Will solve my problem

or if there is something else I can do to minimze the discomfort? I've used the skates for something like 100 hours already, so they're very much mine, but I have never had a problem with blisters after owning skates for so long. Thanks for any help

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Quick question for you guys:

I've been skating for years and never came across this: I bought a new pair of roller blades a few weeks back, and had them baked when I bought them. However, lately as I've started my league, and been skating much harder, I notice I get a blister on both of my feet in the same spot (inside heel, high). I was wondering if getting them baked again is

1. Possible
2. Advisable
3. Will solve my problem

or if there is something else I can do to minimze the discomfort? I've used the skates for something like 100 hours already, so they're very much mine, but I have never had a problem with blisters after owning skates for so long. Thanks for any help
try getting them punched first. This should be less expensive ($10 probably) and more area specific.

Basically the affected area is compressed allowing more room.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Anonymous

I just bought a pair of Mission ice skates today and there was a little sheet of paper on in the box mentioning that they could be baked up to 3 times. I'm not sure if other skates / brands have similar or different limitations.

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I just bought a pair of Mission ice skates today and there was a little sheet of paper on in the box mentioning that they could be baked up to 3 times. I'm not sure if other skates / brands have similar or different limitations.
All skates that can be baked are recommended to be baked a max of 3 times.

Old
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
All skates that can be baked are recommended to be baked a max of 3 times.
That's what I was looking for..

Thanks for that info.

One more question: Is there anything I can wear or wrap around my ankle that would stop the blisters from occuring? I've tried moleskin and bandaids, but the sweat rubs them off and I'm usually skating in pain after an hour.

Old
04-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
That's what I was looking for..

Thanks for that info.

One more question: Is there anything I can wear or wrap around my ankle that would stop the blisters from occuring? I've tried moleskin and bandaids, but the sweat rubs them off and I'm usually skating in pain after an hour.
http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...%20Protection/

we sell this:
http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...nkle%20Sleeve/

and this:
http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...%20Gel%20Disc/

Don't be fooled by the toe-nail paint, I know former pro and college guys who wear both of these.

I don't have any first hand experience with the other items, but this company makes excellent products.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:25 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

You should make sure you are tying your skates up properly, and wear socks that are not loose.

Last edited by The Lollipop King: 04-13-2008 at 11:35 AM.
The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
try getting them punched first. This should be less expensive ($10 probably) and more area specific.

Basically the affected area is compressed allowing more room.
Actually, do you think it might be because there's too much room in the heel that the OP's foot is rubbing -- causing the blisters?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Actually, do you think it might be because there's too much room in the heel that the OP's foot is rubbing -- causing the blisters?
That is very possible. Baking the skate won't help much because most skates don't mold as much up at the ankles. They're not made that way. Also, if you try and tie the ankles especially tight it may damage the eyelets.

If they are too loose, you can try "baking" them with a heat gun or hairdryer. Tie them on as tight as you need, then put the hairdryer (or heat gun on lower setting) on your ankles.

If they are too tight, then punching would work better than baking.

Old
04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, I've gotten a lot of ideas on what to do

I'm going to try to get them punched in the high pressure area, and wear tighter socks, and if that doesn't work I will get them rebaked once more and maybe try some sort of blister protection.