HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Post Game Thread: Kovalev with OT winner, Habs win 3-2 and take a 2-0 series lead

Old
04-12-2008, 09:05 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Post Game Thread: Kovalev with OT winner, Habs win 3-2 and take a 2-0 series lead

Discuss!

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

That was a disappointing performance, but we are too talented for them.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Discuss!
its going to be interesting to see which team has the most energy tommorow. can koivu be back?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ross MacLochness

I'm glad to be going on the road.

We play better away from home.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HomaridII

Kovalev on RDS admitted Carbo was calling him to the bench but he didn't hear him and stayed on the ice.

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
MoonlightGraham

I'm still shaking.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
HotPie

Kovalev definitely redeemed himself.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
usernam

Can we make something clear? Whoever says the Refs gave this to the Habs OBVIOUSLY didn't watch the first half of the game. Refs were brutal all around for BOTH teams. And the better team won.

On to the game.
Price was very good.
The victory was not very convincing.
Ryder was pretty invisible.
Brisebois looked good
Powerplay was bad except for the OT goal (Props to the Bruins' PK)

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

Some guys were atrocious tonight... Kovalev and Markov have to pick their game up... I dont care if Kovy scored the winner, I dont like the way he is playing since the begin of the playoffs... Lucky win to say the least..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Bermy

good game, the refs were iffy tonight (surprisingly lol) on both sides and the bruins outplayed the habs in the 3rd period. We got the win though

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:10 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Kovalev on RDS admitted Carbo was calling him to the bench but he didn't hear him and stayed on the ice.
Well, he was better scoring...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:12 PM
MdGazou

Ugly win but we'll take it. One sided reffing affair until Boston's 2nd goal then one sided for Habs afterward

MdGazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
How would he know if Carbo was calling him but he didn't hear him lol.

Big win. Either this lose ignites a fire under the bruins of they are so heartbroken they don't show up tomorrow. I'm betting on the former.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

One word: WHEW.

Seriously off game for the Habs. Seriously brilliant effort by the Bruins, to whom hats must be tipped. I think the Bruins are cursed, though -- the Habs managed to find a way to win.

Kovalev had an off game, his worst this year possibly, and took a selfish penalty at a crucial moment. But as they just said on RDS: even having a bad game, he managed to be a difference-maker and make his team win. Let's not forget that besides that bomb of a shot, he also prepared the second goal with a good 15 seconds of stickhandling wizardry.

Price was a difference-maker. What an amazing goaltender.

I'm watching Sports 30 and the Habs could've bought themselves some breathing room by taking advantadge of their chances.

Hamrlik brilliant as always -- happy birthday! Markov, another one who had an off game.

It was vital to go into Boston up 2-0. They can approach the next game with far, far less pressure now.

An important lesson for all the kids and for the entire team. And it's a lesson that in the end did not cost them. Let's hope they learn from it.

And the Bruins? They must be frustrated. They gave everything they had and lost. What now?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:13 PM
SpreeEndaz

Game Summary:

Any Bruins fans tonight who don't want to be a witness then walk away... A...K !!! Gunshot !

What a bullet in overtime...

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Carey Chant

Refs were crap both ways. Kovalev got cross checked and they gave the retaliation call for a 5 on 3.

Either way, I'm happy we came out with a win. Habs need 1 out of 2 in Boston...

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Bermy

it seemed more like Hockey night in New England than Hockey Night in Canada imo

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deandebean

This performance did not impress me. The Booins played a much more convincing playoff game. Montreal played like a normal season game. They did not impress me at all.

If they ever think of going far, they will need to play a much more intense game. They seemed like they just took a night out.

The Booins, on the other hand, impressed me with their forecheck. And they did not let the Kovy line have one second of rest.

As for the calls, well, in the early parts of the game, the Booins got away with many non-calls by Devorski and his young cub. As usual, it comes back to bite you in the ass. That's the NHL.

Anyways, was NOT impressed. This is not a team that wants to work its arse off to go far.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SherbrookeW

The refs put Boston back in the game in the third with ridiculous calls. Then they evened up, as they usually do. And the best player on the ice won the game , despite having had an okay game up to that point. As usually happens in the playoffs (see Guy Lafleur and Bobby Orr, passim.) Anyone who says the refs gave the games to the Habs didn't watch the game.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
How would he know if Carbo was calling him but he didn't hear him lol.
Someone told him after the fact?

But I do wonder if Kovy really "didn't hear".

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Some guys were atrocious tonight... Kovalev and Markov have to pick their game up... I dont care if Kovy scored the winner, I dont like the way he is playing since the begin of the playoffs... Lucky win to say the least..
Oh you dont care if he scored the game winner... I guess those arent important right?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
The Refs ruined that game.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
henri2014

Wow we played a heck of a crappy game. The bruins played a really good game, lets hope they dont show up tomorrow cuz they are win one if they continue to play like that.

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I don't think I have ever gone through so many emotions in such complete different directions in one night. From pissed at how we started, from happy we took a 1-0 lead, thrilled we went up 2-0, excited at our 2nd, pissed at the missed chances late in the 2nd, disgusted for most of the 3rd, EXTREMELY frustrated with all the missed PPs and then just relief with Kovy's goal.

- Boston really gave us all we could handle. They deserved this win, instead they got knifed in the heart. I can't see how anything short of a Bergeron return gets their spirits back up to normal for tomorrow's game. Thank god there's no off-day for them to regroup.

- An absolute disgrace of a performance from the refs. I'll leave it at that. Both teams got screwed. You know it's bad when Kerry Fraser looks like the best ref in the league compared to what we saw tonight.

- Price was once again a wall. Didn't like the rebound on the first goal but he kept it tied when Boston dominated us.

- The 3rd period was very worrisome. Why did we just start playing conservative hockey? Why did we stop playing our game? That's why Boston got back in the game more than anything. We almost beat ourselves.

- Can't blow 2 goal leads in the playoffs. We escaped tonight, we won't against better teams.

- Kovalev. That was the 2006-07 Kovalev for the whole game and then he pulls off that SICK shot to win it in OT. He needs to pick it up though.

- Where is the Plekanec that went head-to-head with Staal in the 2006 playoffs? Big faceoff win on the OT winner though. Pick it up Tomas.

- Markov-Komisarek were awful.

- S. Kost is a gem.

- The Streit on defence experience MUST stop. Get him back up front, bench Dandy and get O'Byrne in there.

- The power play. Disastrous. Are we missing Koivu on it? Probably. But this is not how the unit played the whole season. Enough with Smoke on the 5 on 3's.

- Brisebois, and it takes a lot for me to admit this, played a solid game once again.

- Penalty kill was wonderful.

- 10 straight wins this season, 13 straight overall against Boston.

- 2 down, 14 to go. Tomorrow is absolutely HUGE. If Boston wins that, it's like our game 3 in 2004 (after a similar crushing game 2 OT loss that Boston suffered tonight). We HAVE to drive the next to last nail in their coffin tomorrow. They win tomorrow, and they start believing they can beat us.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 04-12-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I was worried Boston was going to win this one. We played atrociously the whole game long. The only one who really showed much jam tonight was Sergei Kostitsyn. The first line aside from two blown breakaways was a quiet line. Kovalev was pissing me off all game long, but two shifts of brilliance and he sets up a goal and scores on in OT. He's gotta learn to control his temper when the refs refuse to call infractions on the other team. He hurt us there.

Refs, horrible. Both sides. Sections of the game where only one team would be penalized. Goalie interference has to start getting called, I'm tired of seeing Price getting run.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote