HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Post Game Thread: Kovalev with OT winner, Habs win 3-2 and take a 2-0 series lead

Old
04-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't think I have ever gone through so many emotions in such complete different directions in one night. From pissed at how we started, from happy we took a 1-0 lead, thrilled we went up 2-0, excited at our 2nd, pissed at the missed chances late in the 2nd, disgusted for most of the 3rd, EXTREMELY frustrated with all the missed PPs and then just relief with Kovy's goal.

- Boston really gave us all we could handle. They deserved this win, instead they got knifed in the heart. I can't see how anything short of a Bergeron return gets their spirits back up to normal for tomorrow's game. Thank god there's no off-day for them to regroup.

- An absolute disgrace of a performance from the refs. I'll leave it at that. Both teams got screwed. You know it's bad when Kerry Fraser looks like the best ref in the league compared to what we saw last night.

- Price was once again a wall. Didn't like the rebound on the first goal but he kept it tied when Boston dominated us.

- The 3rd period was very worrisome. Why did we just start playing conservative hockey? Why did we stop playing our game? That's why Boston got back in the game more than anything. We almost beat ourselves.

- Can't blow 2 goal leads in the playoffs. We escaped tonight, we won't against better teams.

- Kovalev. That was the 2006-07 Kovalev for the whole game and then he pulls off that SICK shot to win it in OT. He needs to pick it up though.

- Where is the Plekanec that went head-to-head with Staal in the 2006 playoffs? Big faceoff win on the OT winner though. Pick it up Tomas.

- Markov-Komisarek were awful.

- S. Kost is a gem.

- The Streit on defence experience MUST stop. Get him back up front, bench Dandy and get O'Byrne in there.

- The power play. Disastrous. Are we missing Koivu on it? Probably. But this is not how the unit played the whole season. Enough with Smoke on the 5 on 3's.

- Brisebois, and it takes a lot for me to admit this, played a solid game once again.

- Penalty kill was wonderful.

- 10 straight wins this season, 13 straight overall against Boston.

- 2 down, 14 to go. Tomorrow is absolutely HUGE. If Boston wins that, it's like our game 3 in 2004 (after a similar crushing game 2 OT loss that Boston suffered tonight). We HAVE to drive the next to last nail in their coffin tomorrow. They win tomorrow, and they start believing they can beat us.

Don't know what to add, I was going to post, but these are my exact same thoughts about everything.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:19 PM
znk

Cant play like that in Boston and cant rely on having 4 straight PP's in the final moments of the game.
At least now the boys know it's not a walk in the park and they'll bring it to the Bruins in Boston.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Habs8517

we played really bad in this game
but we still managed a win
got to do better tomorrow or we might lose

Habs8517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Brass

Kovalev

You need a Goal ?

Ask Kovy!

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Habs514

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Yes, that Markov dive to draw a penalty was given a 10 by the Russian judges.

Refs gave this game away.
Like the let you tie the game.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I was worried Boston was going to win this one. We played atrociously the whole game long. The only one who really showed much jam tonight was Sergei Kostitsyn. The first line aside from two blown breakaways was a quiet line. Kovalev was pissing me off all game long, but two shifts of brilliance and he sets up a goal and scores on in OT. He's gotta learn to control his temper when the refs refuse to call infractions on the other team. He hurt us there.

Refs, horrible. Both sides. Sections of the game where only one team would be penalized. Goalie interference has to start getting called, I'm tired of seeing Price getting run.
Sergei sure looks like a playoff performer. He is by far our best foward in the playoffs.

Habs must come back with a strong game because we all know what happened the last time we had a 2-0 lead in the playoffs.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Thank you Kovalev.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

must be terrible for B's to go home tonight knowing the following transpired.

They played their best game by far against us
We played our worst game by far against them
The refs single-handedly gave them two goals to send the game to overtime

Montreal still wins.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

No worries for tomorrow....Habs are a better road team.

Nashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:25 PM
MdGazou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't think I have ever gone through so many emotions in such complete different directions in one night. From pissed at how we started, from happy we took a 1-0 lead, thrilled we went up 2-0, excited at our 2nd, pissed at the missed chances late in the 2nd, disgusted for most of the 3rd, EXTREMELY frustrated with all the missed PPs and then just relief with Kovy's goal.

- Boston really gave us all we could handle. They deserved this win, instead they got knifed in the heart. I can't see how anything short of a Bergeron return gets their spirits back up to normal for tomorrow's game. Thank god there's no off-day for them to regroup.

- An absolute disgrace of a performance from the refs. I'll leave it at that. Both teams got screwed. You know it's bad when Kerry Fraser looks like the best ref in the league compared to what we saw last night.

- Price was once again a wall. Didn't like the rebound on the first goal but he kept it tied when Boston dominated us.

- The 3rd period was very worrisome. Why did we just start playing conservative hockey? Why did we stop playing our game? That's why Boston got back in the game more than anything. We almost beat ourselves.

- Can't blow 2 goal leads in the playoffs. We escaped tonight, we won't against better teams.

- Kovalev. That was the 2006-07 Kovalev for the whole game and then he pulls off that SICK shot to win it in OT. He needs to pick it up though.

- Where is the Plekanec that went head-to-head with Staal in the 2006 playoffs? Big faceoff win on the OT winner though. Pick it up Tomas.

- Markov-Komisarek were awful.

- S. Kost is a gem.

- The Streit on defence experience MUST stop. Get him back up front, bench Dandy and get O'Byrne in there.

- The power play. Disastrous. Are we missing Koivu on it? Probably. But this is not how the unit played the whole season. Enough with Smoke on the 5 on 3's.

- Brisebois, and it takes a lot for me to admit this, played a solid game once again.

- Penalty kill was wonderful.

- 10 straight wins this season, 13 straight overall against Boston.

- 2 down, 14 to go. Tomorrow is absolutely HUGE. If Boston wins that, it's like our game 3 in 2004 (after a similar crushing game 2 OT loss that Boston suffered tonight). We HAVE to drive the next to last nail in their coffin tomorrow. They win tomorrow, and they start believing they can beat us.
It will be interesting to see hoe Boston reacts tomorrow. They played their best game all year vs us but still lost.

MdGazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Strange game to say the least, poor first period, good second and awful third... If Habs can win by playing this way, the Bruins really should stop trying right away. Oh, and Sergei Kostitsyn is going to be our playoff hero, if he isn't already.

And has anyone seen the horrible grammar on the TSN article about this game?

Quote:
For a second straight game, the sound was ear-splitting from the crowd of 21,273 to open the game, but unlike the opener, it was Boston that came out hitting and winning races for the puck against the complacent-looking Canadiens.
Quote:
The crowded booed as Kovalev was hauled down at the Boston and line Petteri Nokelainen went in on Price and saw Schaefer chip in the rebound 3:38 into the third period.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
emb24*

fulien interview whining about how B's need to 'embellish' obviously stating habs diving all night

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Blades 0f Steel

The Bruins stormed back to tie it, then shot themselves in the foot for the last 4 minutes of the game.

Horrible officiating all around, Habs were lucky to get the win.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
Kovalev!

Mathieu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Habsrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
fulien interview whining about how B's need to 'embellish' obviously stating habs diving all night
Like Ward on the little Kovalev slash in retaliation for being jumped on?

Habsrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Peter Puck

It's a good thing we scored on that PP because you know the refs were about to call 3 straight penalties on the Habs.

Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

not a great game by any means.

Kovalev redeemed himself however without Koivu, Montreal needs more out of him.

Which leads into the other two, and both Akosts and Pleks were invisible all night long.

Markov and Komisarek need to really step up their respective games. Both look like bumbling idiots right now. It pains me to say the Brisebois and Hamrlik are Montreal's best pairing currently.

and price

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
speed11

i'm not about to add the obvious as others posted, but can we please do something with Ryder< i'm sorry but the guy is just such an odd ball, he doesn't mesh well at all with Higgy or skost, looks horrible on the PP, shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot, and we he does decide to shoot, he takes 8 days with his wind-up...it's just getting to be quite a nuisance

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Strange game to say the least, poor first period, good second and awful third... If Habs can win by playing this way, the Bruins really should stop trying right away. Oh, and Sergei Kostitsyn is going to be our playoff hero, if he isn't already.

And has anyone seen the horrible grammar on the TSN article about this game?

Unless I am missing something, there is nothing incorrect in your examples. EDIT: In the second example "line" and "and" were reversed, but that is just a typographical error.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:37 PM
NHLcrazy

We are too cute and fancy on the PP....shoot, shoot and shoot...Thomas is the the king of rebounds

1-13 on the PP is unacceptable

-Great game by Hamrlik..again
-Price was crazy good

-Where were Plecks?? and Higgins??

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Anyone else realize that we're 9-1 in our last 10 games? Not bad at all...

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Bermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
i'm not about to add the obvious as others posted, but can we please do something with Ryder< i'm sorry but the guy is just such an odd ball, he doesn't mesh well at all with Higgy or skost, looks horrible on the PP, shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot, and we he does decide to shoot, he takes 8 days with his wind-up...it's just getting to be quite a nuisance
This is why I can't wait to see Koivu back with Higgins and S Kost

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:43 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I was reading the GDT on the main board and you know what, I don't think they like us very much around here. It's the official habs bashing reunion down there.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:43 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Yes, that Markov dive to draw a penalty was given a 10 by the Russian judges.

Refs gave this game away.
How about you go back to the boards where you belong?

It was definitely a penalty. Did the refs miss one from Markov before? Maybe. But you need to remember that the refs bring you in that game. They closed the eyes on 3-4 obvious penalties before your first goal. You played a good game, we played a bad game. But we win. It shows something. When the Habs are on their game, the Bruins can't reach their level of play. Live with that.

As for the game, I'm pissed off. I'm upset by the entire team except Price, SK and the 4th line.

The Higgins of the most part of the season was back, Plekanec was invisible and Streit was useless. I said it before. The guy is an utility player. I can't stop laughing when I hear people say that he should be consider for the Norris. He can't play defense damnit! IMO, we should let a team overpay for him this summer.

I hope that this game will bring the team and the fans on earth. We're not contenders. We're just a young team that is taking playoffs experience for the years to come. The Bruins are a B team. With a game like that against any other playoffs team, we would be whining about a huge loss right now.

Don't get me wrong. I love this team now and for the future. I just want people to realize the truth.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Habsrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4778 View Post
The NHL and the Refs stole that game. Seriously earlier in the game there was a few bad calls. Some good non-calls though thats for sure. DOes anyone remember a time when OT in the playoffs meant ....no penalties unless a guy is in a scoring position or its dirty?!!?? Seriously they give us a 5 on 3 in OT...(which is like sending 8 guys to the box in regulation) when on the same play Reich is highsticked. To make things worse, the ref 20 feet away never made the call, the ref 100 feet away did. The NHL is sad, the two referee system is sad. Gary Bettman is a moron! If you guys can be happy with the way your team won the game, then you should be ashamed to be an NHL fan. As for the the bruins tying it, and being in OT... we outplayed, out-chanced, outworked and out-hit, and outshot the HABS, and deserved to win the game.
Bruins were able to tie on a couple of chincy calls. Are you ok with them?????

Also, Reich was not highsticked based on the rule. The rule states that it is not a penalty on a follow through as Ron MacLean pointed out on the post game after Cherry's rant.

"A "high stick" is one which is carried above the height of the opponent's shoulders. A player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion."

Of course, I'd be pissed if we lost this way too

Also, Carey Price > Tim Thomas in this game.

Habsrichard is offline   Reply With Quote