HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Preds @ Wings - 1pm CST (Eventual Road win Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Osprey

vCash: 500
It's pretty grim as far as the series goes now, but I guess that it's some consolation that these two losses were in the opponent's building and the next two games are at home... though, with the Red Wings, that fact means a lot less than it does against any other team in the league.

Old
04-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Jarnberg

A few more years of Arnott and Dumont disappearing when needed, Legwand being injured for alot of the year and having to rely on Fiddler, Smithson, etc. scoring goals.

When Tootoo is your leading scorer in the playoffs, you know your having problems.

Ellis has been TERRIBLE today.

Bust out the broom sticks.

Old
04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
gmalicoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury77 View Post
Sweet turn around here....karma is a *****

LOL--it certainly is

Old
04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
Why is Tootoo our best forward?

Old
04-12-2008, 04:59 PM
zackisonfire*

I wouldn't be suprised if Nashville won the next two if they come this close at the Joe.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:00 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatstick View Post
I wouldn't be suprised if Nashville won the next two if they come this close at the Joe.
I would.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post
LOL--it certainly is
I'll bust out the favorite term on HFBoards.. Classy.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Jarnberg

So the word on Bochenski was that he needed to be playing with more offensive guys, yet he's thrown on a crap line.

Why was Hordichuk even dressed today?

Trotz's adjustment today: Putting Radulov back on the Arnott line with less then 2 minutes to play.

I need to find a way to complain more about Arnott. His play was laughable.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Trotz's adjustment today: Putting Radulov back on the Arnott line with less then 2 minutes to play.
Reading my mind... wayy to late, lets hope they stick Radu with Arnott and Dumont in Nashville!

God I would love to even have the small chances to go to Nashville :S

Old
04-12-2008, 05:25 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
remind me to laugh the next time somebody says we have a blue collar hockey team in Nashville.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Jarnberg

Arnott.. 3 more years on his contract
Dumont 4 more years after this.
Legwand starts what, 6 after this season?
Sullivan still has another year.
Mason starts his big 2 year deal after this season.

Those are your playoff performers!

Old
04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
DManPreds11

I'll let my signature say it all. We have NO SYSTEM, and we make NO ADJUSTMENTS. Trotz's needs to GO!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
DManPreds11

Ellis and Tootoo have been by far our best 2 players. Our 3rd and 4th lines have become our 1st and 2nd. Bonk, DeVires and Zanon have been our worse IMO. We played/looked like we were 5 goals down right before the 4th Wings goal. I wanted to cuss and throw the remote from the lack of effort. I just found myself sitting back quietly waiting for the goal to be scored, much like our players. I felt sorry for Ellis right before they scored the 4th goal. The only man bustin his arse trying to keep his team in the game.

Old
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Trotz's system ignores several fundamental aspects of playoff hockey. I have said it again and again and again.....

1) We don't block shots well as a team
2) We don't protect our net well as a team
3) We play passive defensive zone entry and let teams enter with tremendous speed and space
4) We bring all 5 guys back on the man advantage and thus have no speed to retrieve the puck, forcing us to rely on a lone puck carrier to enter the zone 80% of the time
5) We say: Go to the net, put shots on net, stop being so cute with the puck - yet for the past 4 years we see ONLY cute passes, no shots, no crashing the net outside of maybe 1 player (this series Tootoo...)

I feel our system minimizes the advantages of our gifted defensemen, and it kills us in tight checking games where the ugly goal wins.

Trotz's system doesn't work in the playoffs. It looks bad each year, and it will continue to look bad. Hopefully this is the last year of his reign, but I think we will see 2-3 more years (God help us).

04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I hate watching my favorite sport and getting angry.
What keeps me coming back? Am i just a glutton for punishment? I don't even know where to begin...

I almost regret it when this team gets a power play, any momentum or drive they had fizzles out as soon as the power play starts. I don't understand how Poile can express confidence in this coaching staff, if the playoffs matter to him at all.
Adjustments? Nope, unless you count putting Tootoo on the last PP.

Coach get fired up at the team? Not that we can ever see.

Does the captain or A lead by example? I guess if selfish penalties count, they did.

Once it goes in the crapper they could at least play the body more and put the hurt on the wings. Let them score on the inevitable penalties that get called.

Anything involving a whistle or non-whistle goes against this team. EVERYTHING. Offsides, goalie freeze, losing sight of the puck, contact, interference, you name it. A certain amount of that is just game momentum where maybe its close to call or not, I can almost (but not quite) understand that. It makes me sick sometimes.

Liquor store, here I come!

Old
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Jan Hlavac with 21 minutes in TOI tonight, Bonk with 19....

Radulov with 13 minutes in TOI (he also had 5 shots.....)

*Sigh*

Old
04-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

The TSN panel just talked about the Predators getting robbed on their first goal. It was clearly in, then the net came off and the whistle was blown... they played the live video so you could hear it. The ref is allowed to call a goal back if he was in the act of blowing the whistle, but TSN showed Dan Marouelli (the ref) saying "the net was off, the net was off". I can't believe that wasn't reviewed by the people in Detroit, and especially the people in Toronto.

It was early in the game, but a goal is a goal. Considering the Wings came down on the next play and scored, that's an even bigger game changing screw up by the refs.

A blown call goes Detroit's way. Is anyone else as shocked as I am?

Old
04-12-2008, 06:31 PM
AdsSabresRule

Tootoo

Quote:
A few more years of Arnott and Dumont disappearing when needed, Legwand being injured for alot of the year and having to rely on Fiddler, Smithson, etc. scoring goals.

When Tootoo is your leading scorer in the playoffs, you know your having problems.

Ellis has been TERRIBLE today.

Bust out the broom sticks.
I'm not a huge Tootoo fan, as many of you know, but he has looked like he has the most passion out there for you. Decent hits, disruption, and darn - he had a couple of busted up plays that he took the other way for good scoring chances...

But, yeah - if Jordin is your number one dude, you got problems!

Old
04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
The TSN panel just talked about the Predators getting robbed on their first goal. It was clearly in, then the net came off and the whistle was blown... they played the live video so you could hear it. The ref is allowed to call a goal back if he was in the act of blowing the whistle, but TSN showed Dan Marouelli (the ref) saying "the net was off, the net was off". I can't believe that wasn't reviewed by the people in Detroit, and especially the people in Toronto.

It was early in the game, but a goal is a goal. Considering the Wings came down on the next play and scored, that's an even bigger game changing screw up by the refs.

A blown call goes Detroit's way. Is anyone else as shocked as I am?
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...13/1002/SPORTS

Love the outcry by Trotz and especially Poile...you know the NHL screws up when they issue a statement like that.

Old
04-12-2008, 07:11 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Trotz's system ignores several fundamental aspects of playoff hockey. I have said it again and again and again.....

1) We don't block shots well as a team
2) We don't protect our net well as a team
3) We play passive defensive zone entry and let teams enter with tremendous speed and space
4) We bring all 5 guys back on the man advantage and thus have no speed to retrieve the puck, forcing us to rely on a lone puck carrier to enter the zone 80% of the time
5) We say: Go to the net, put shots on net, stop being so cute with the puck - yet for the past 4 years we see ONLY cute passes, no shots, no crashing the net outside of maybe 1 player (this series Tootoo...)

I feel our system minimizes the advantages of our gifted defensemen, and it kills us in tight checking games where the ugly goal wins.

Trotz's system doesn't work in the playoffs. It looks bad each year, and it will continue to look bad. Hopefully this is the last year of his reign, but I think we will see 2-3 more years (God help us).
I am in 100 percent agreement with everything you said. I have been a big Trotz supporter defending him since he's been getting bashed alot this season but if we go out in 4 or 5 games I think poile should seriously consider a change. His actions have become too predictable and they are never effective it seems. As a coach how could you allow your captain to play like he did today? Unacceptable. I like Trotz but eventually if something is not working it needs to be changed. Sometimes players get to comfortable in a situation. This team needs a shakeup from a coaching perspective

Old
04-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Jarnberg

While I agree that it was a blown call, good teams have to overcome stuff like that (not saying anyone here is suggesting otherwise).

Poile is just venting because he realizes he put a team who can't win when it counts on the ice and a coach who can't get the job done.

The sad thing is, everyone is just happy to be in the playoffs.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
While I agree that it was a blown call, good teams have to overcome stuff like that (not saying anyone here is suggesting otherwise).

Poile is just venting because he realizes he put a team who can't win when it counts on the ice and a coach who can't get the job done.

The sad thing is, everyone is just happy to be in the playoffs.
It's just frustrating that these calls are going against us in every situation. We lost game one on an iffy call that went against us, we get a goal waved off that could have given us crucial momentum. We have the odds stacked against us enough as it is. We shouldn't have to deal with that sort of officiating on top of everything else.

And I'm not as ready to throw the entire team under the bus as some of you are. Would I like to see some more urgency...yes...but I don't think it's all on our end. We've matched up very well against the Wings when things were either tied or close\early in the game. When we fall behind in the third period, we're going to look helpless every time, because the Wings are THE BEST puck possession team in the league. We're crying about the lack of shots...but it's not because we're not trying, it's because they're doing what they do best...grinding us out, playing keep-away, and sitting 5 guys in the neutral zone. If we're going to beat the Wings we MUST score first, or at least not fall behind in the second half. They're too well-trained in that situation.

As for Ellis, I don't think he was "bad" today, given what's being done in front of him. He should have had the first goal, MAYBE the fourth..but the second was Holmstrom standing UNTOUCHED as a screen, and the third goal(the backbreaker, IMO) was Zanon with a mind-numbingly frustrating lapse, allowing a shot he sees clearly to hit his skate and redirect in.

I think things will go better at home, I have to hope so.

Old
04-13-2008, 01:19 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
As for Ellis, I don't think he was "bad" today, given what's being done in front of him. He should have had the first goal, MAYBE the fourth..but the second was Holmstrom standing UNTOUCHED as a screen, and the third goal(the backbreaker, IMO) was Zanon with a mind-numbingly frustrating lapse, allowing a shot he sees clearly to hit his skate and redirect in.
That's only looking at half the story though. There were 3 wide open gimme goals the Wings flubbed in the game (2 by Filppula and 1 by Franzen) and several other outstanding chances where they simply missed the net. Ellis has made the saves, but he has been awful with rebound control and tonight especially was leaving a TON of juicy ones on a platter for Detroit. The Wings simply flubbed it on many of those occasions. Ellis needs to step it up alot or you guys will have a very hard time winning even a single game. Our last meeting of the season (the 1-0 OT game) Ellis was amazing. He made the saves, gave up no rebounds, and had me worried that he'd be the next Roloson/Kiprusoff/etc. to dominate the Wings. He's look nothing like that goalie in the series so far. Plain and simple.....he needs to control those rebounds or you guys lose Game 3.

Old
04-13-2008, 03:03 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
How many times this season have we been burned by the "intent to blow the whistle"? The game against Colorado in December when Bonk (?) scored on the rebound but the ref waived it off because he "intended to blow" the whistle. And now this game. That's such a lie by the league that Marouelli "intended to blow the whistle." All anyone has to do is look at the tape and see clearly him saying "THE NET WAS OFF, THE NET'S OFF" and see that he didn't even attempt to blow the whistle until after the net was knocked back to the boards. A goal is allowed to be scored if the net is tilted upward and still on it's moorings when the puck goes in, this was the situation here and every on/off ice official in detroit and toronto blew it. This is the playoffs, take the time and fully review everything -net off is reviewable! I'm so sick of this crap.

Really good first period. We came out and played the way we needed to. Only being down one flukey goal was ok. That was a better period than the entire first game. We came out strong in the second. Gave up the PPG (maybe could have been goalie int., but it was close) but we came back with a flukey goal of our own and then got a great shot by Tootoo to even the game. We kept our momenum going until the timeout. It's like we suddenly thought, oh we have to stop playing now because we never had the same energy again. What should have happened at the TO was the Preds should have got some instructions, pumped the guys up, kept them going and been lined up at the faceoff dot waiting for detroit to line up. Show them we were going to keep going and not back down just b/c they're the redwings. Instead, we pissed away the momentum with crappy play the rest of the way.

Stupid lazy ******* penalties by our "leadership". Arnott said he wanted to go somewhere where he could be "the man" and not play behind anyone. Well ****ing be the man and take charge. Get angry and let them know that they have to go through you, not around you and start putting some damn shots on net!

STOP GOING OFFSIDES!

Where are our passes going to, or who are they going to? Because they're going right to no one or a redwing. Again, when we get into the offensive zone, if you have a lane, try a shot. Really, what would it hurt? That we might get a rebound? Well that won't do us any good because after one guy takes a shot everyone skates away from the net, no one stops at the net to actually get the rebounds.

PP sucks. Once we are able to get in the zone and get setup we pass for 20 seconds, get one shot and it's cleared. Then we are never able to get back into the zone for another chance. Unless of course our "leadership" takes stupid penalties and negates the PP.

They said on on the fly that McCarty found his scoring touch. Really? Then it's the same as Radulov's, into a fricking vacated net.

Hey Greg Zanon, did you enjoy your karma? That was funny though, I did enjoy it so keep yelling at them.

Good job by Tootoo, Peverley, Ellis, Smithson, Fiddler, Bochenski, Hordichuk because they seem to be the only ones who have come out with the intensity needed for a whole game in the playoffs. This isn't some Tuesday in November vs Columbus, we actually need our entire team to play at the level we all know they are capable of here in April in the PLAYOFFS!

I expect an angry Predator crowd on Monday that will start *****ing at the slightest call against us, whether it's a right call or not.

It's sad that Tootoo is our leading goal scorer. But you know what's really sad? He has as many goals as the entire Anaheim team combined.

Old
04-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm so tired of hearing the, "Good teams are able to overcome XXXXX." Yeah, good teams are able to overcome adversity, but when your the freaking 8 seed, playing the best team in hockey.......it is silly to assume that NOT ONLY must you be able to beat said team, you also have to beat them while having your goals waived off, and their goals come on botched plays by the officials. Lets face it, we have to play almost a perfect game to beat the Red Wings. The officials giving these mind-numbingly bad calls to the Red Wings stacks an already loaded deck against us. The Wings do not NEED help to beat us, but they are undoubtedly getting it.

Closed Thread