HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Your Opinion of Alan Cohen Changed?

View Poll Results: How would you characterize your attitude towards the Panthers Owner?
Positive 15 65.22%
Negative 6 26.09%
No change 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Has Your Opinion of Alan Cohen Changed?

Since Alan Cohen started posting on the Florida Panthers Site Message Boards I think I have detected a more positive attitude among fans towards the Panthers Owner. Given recent events, How would you characterize your attitude towards the Panthers Owner?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Since Alan Cohen started posting on the Florida Panthers Site Message Boards I think I have detected a more positive attitude among fans towards the Panthers Owner. Given recent events, How would you characterize your attitude towards the Panthers Owner?
I've never had that big of a problem with Cohen. Just like I really don't have a problem with Wayne Huizenga. Cohen is a business man and nobody here can deny that he's a GREAT one. He wants to win just as bad as anyone else and if you didn't know that already, I don't know what to say.

Has he made some poor decisions in the past? Absolutely! However, he made all those decisions in an panicked effort to improve the team and its obvious that he's learned from his mistakes.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:19 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I've also never had a problem with Cohen. Before it was neutral but now that I know more about him its very positive.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I must say that I have questioned a lot of Cohen's moves in the past, but I've gained a lot more respect for Cohen now, I think it's great that he's coming out and just being honest, and communicating with the fans, that's always a good thing.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I don't like how impatient he's been with some things, but it was pretty cool of him to sit there at the 'state of the team' in front of everyone and listen to all that. Then on top of it, he signs on to the official boards and assures his team's fans and sets the record straight. Pretty cool.

04-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Happy Girl

I think it's a good idea for him to reach out to the fans more - that's his consumer. He needs to be courting them more. It's a good business move.

But I still don't think he's a good hockey owner and my opinion of this won't change until he is able to put a consistent product out on the ice, a la Detroit, New Jersey, Dallas, Colorado, etc... He can do all of the nice PR things but when he does the things that are necessary to build a winner then I will reconsider my position on his ability as an owner.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post

But I still don't think he's a good hockey owner and my opinion of this won't change until he is able to put a consistent product out on the ice, a la Detroit, New Jersey, Dallas, Colorado, etc... He can do all of the nice PR things but when he does the things that are necessary to build a winner then I will reconsider my position on his ability as an owner.
Could not have said it better.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:36 AM
VirtualSpree

He's made some mistakes in the past, but I think he's learned from it and is moving in the right direction to make the team a winner.

It's all up to JM now.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:48 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
I think it's a good idea for him to reach out to the fans more - that's his consumer. He needs to be courting them more. It's a good business move.

thank you, HG. i like the references to successful franchises. i was trying to make that analogy last night.

i voted negative as i took this poll to be about cohen, the owner, not cohen the person. i'll change my vote if i misunderstood. if i haven't, this shouldn't even be a poll.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
thank you, HG. i like the references to successful franchises. i was trying to make that analogy last night.

i voted negative as i took this poll to be about cohen, the owner, not cohen the person. i'll change my vote if i misunderstood. if i haven't, this shouldn't even be a poll.
It is about Cohen, The Owner, not the person. And can't help but wonder if you voted negative just because I voted positive. Just kidding. But I do think it interesting to see how fan opinion has changed about Cohen after he "worked the crowd" so to speak with his meeting with the fans and posting on the Message Boards. Previous to that, I think fan opinion was overwhelming negative towards his ownership.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:59 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
I would've liked a "stayed the same" option. As an owner, I've never found myself hating or loving him. I do like the fact that he's not willing to stay with the same junk if it isn't working, for the sake of "consistency". I believe he should have out and out smoked JM altogether. JM loves to coach instead of GM, he's a crappy coach, therefore let him go coach somewhere else, preferably a division rival. Cohen doesn't upset me.

CatscratchFever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:11 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
I would've liked a "stayed the same" option. As an owner, I've never found myself hating or loving him. I do like the fact that he's not willing to stay with the same junk if it isn't working, for the sake of "consistency". I believe he should have out and out smoked JM altogether. JM loves to coach instead of GM, he's a crappy coach, therefore let him go coach somewhere else, preferably a division rival. Cohen doesn't upset me.
Martin is a very good GM but his playing style as a coach doesn't fit us...Cohen offered Martin the GM job and fired him from the Coaching job.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Martin is a very good GM but his playing style as a coach doesn't fit us...Cohen offered Martin the GM job and fired him from the Coaching job.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. i know exactly what Cohen did. My point was, I am happy he was fired as coach, and thought Cohen should have gone a step farther and canned him totally, if his "heart" is more in coaching. You believe JM is a very good GM, I say, find and hire a great one. In other words, don't let JM hang around for "consistency". Consistently losing is getting old.

Last edited by CatscratchFever: 04-13-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: crummy spelling
CatscratchFever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Booth10

GP, you should do this poll on the other message board. I think more people were at the meeting there. That would be a truer idea, because meeting someone vs reading about someone is probably more valid.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
I would've liked a "stayed the same" option.
I've just added one.

04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
GP, you should do this poll on the other message board. I think more people were at the meeting there. That would be a truer idea, because meeting someone vs reading about someone is probably more valid.
Not really. Ever hear the expression "actions speak louder than words"?

I'm reserving my judgement on Cohen to see what happens - after all, there's not much I can do about it anyway. He owns the team. But depending upon what he does or doesn't do as owner this summer. And it's not like he can't redeem himself at any time - I accept that anyone can learn from mistakes.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

I'm reserving my judgement on Cohen to see what happens - after all, there's not much I can do about it anyway. He owns the team. But depending upon what he does or doesn't do as owner this summer. And it's not like he can't redeem himself at any time - I accept that anyone can learn from mistakes.
wouldn't that mean only one thing - hire a REAL director of hockey operations? how many more of his mistakes can the franchise withstand? his doesn't know hockey and shouldn't be making decisions in that area other than putting someone else in charge. HG's laid all this out very eloquently. some fans are warming up to him now because he's telling them the things they want to hear but this is like the blind leading the blind. it's laughable, really.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
wouldn't that mean only one thing - hire a REAL director of hockey operations? how many more of his mistakes can the franchise withstand? his doesn't know hockey and shouldn't be making decisions in that area other than putting someone else in charge. HG's laid all this out very eloquently. some fans are warming up to him now because he's telling them the things they want to hear but this is like the blind leading the blind. it's laughable, really.
He took a bankrupt team, made it financially better, took a team with no talent and 60 points and made them playoff caliber loaded with talent and prospects. Sure it could be better. But he didnt make it worse, thats for sure. If they dont lead the league in injuries, or lose Bertuzzi and Neiwy in the first week last year, he gets in the playoffs. Saying he made mistakes and he should listen to you, is what is laughable.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
zeroG

Quote:
He took a bankrupt team, made it financially better, took a team with no talent and 60 points and made them playoff caliber loaded with talent and prospects. Sure it could be better. But he didnt make it worse, thats for sure. If they dont lead the league in injuries, or lose Bertuzzi and Neiwy in the first week last year, he gets in the playoffs. Saying he made mistakes and he should listen to you, is what is laughable.
lol. i wouldn't quite call this team loaded with talent and prospects. i'll give him credit for the financial piece (mind you, the team is still losing money) but, based on the evidence at hand, the franchise would be in dire straights if JM hadn't fallen into his lap after keenan. you can continue the lovefest, though. i'll stick with the group here that's been through the thick and thin, seen all the mistakes and realizes this organization needs someone else making the hockey decisions.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Actions speak louder than words.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
You have to make the playoffs before being considered "playoff caliber"

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

I'm surprised that no one else is feeling this way. After years of bumbling the front office positions, making stupid hires and fires, and perpetuating mediocrity all the guy needs to do is make a few friendly posts on the official forum and all of a sudden he's a great owner.

How many more games have we won since he posted? Oh, none... that's right. For all we know it could have been his assistant or secretary or something.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Acadmus

Normally I wouldn't get into the dissecting of someone's arguments, but this one is so wrong...
Quote:
He took a bankrupt team, made it financially better,
Yes, by making sure to use the arena facility paid for by taxpayers where the team plays and lease it out for non-hockey purposes. He hasn't boosted sales of tickets and attendance continues to lag except when certain teams come to town, and their fans can often outnumber Panthers fans.

Quote:
took a team with no talent and 60 points and made them playoff caliber loaded with talent and prospects.
They can't be said to be playoff caliber and loaded with talent until such time as they make the playoffs and the talent is displayed consistently...and honestly, it's been his 3 general managers and four head coaches since he took over the team that are responsible for the improvement. The only credit he can claim is for loosening his own purse strings, which was only necessary because he kept them pretty tight the first few years.

For me, Cohen's reputation with me will improve if he will stop interfering with this team. Give them a competitive budget and name a hockey person with a track record of success on at least some level of hockey as president of the hockey portion of his operation, and let that person make ALL personnel decisions, and then stay in your box seat and enjoy the result. If the results are disappointing after 5 years, replace that guy with another to make the hockey decisions.

Oh, and besides the competitive budget for the NHL team, make sure you free up cash to allow for affiliates at the next two lower minor league levels. But that's something for his president to convince him needs to be done (though I think he's sold on that idea already so that's good).

If he can simply exercise restraint in his desire to exert direct control over this team's personnel moves (including front office, coaching, and on-ice), then I'll respect him as an owner.

Thus far he's not doing that but seems to be moving toward it somewhat - which is why I'm reserving judgement.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
VirtualSpree

He did hire a Hockey Czar. His name is Jacques Martin. Sorry to disappoint you all.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
He did hire a Hockey Czar. His name is Jacques Martin. Sorry to disappoint you all.
oh, you have. hockey czar? puhleeze! JM become the GM by default. it was no genius move by cohen; JM was here, he knew the personnel fairly well and he is a competent hockey person. when you're not a competent hockey person and you've just fired your GM (and the season's starting in, what, a month?), cohen really didn't have much of a choice, at least temporarily. in that sense, we really got lucky.

still, JM had to answer to cohen wrt the most important personnel matters, i.e., when cohen started butting in on the olli rumors (sorry - still say that's unacceptable, no matter what he thinks the fans want to hear). are we supposed to be surprised that JM didn't go to cohen with offers for olli? cohen said he wouldn't trade him!

heck, if we're to be honest, a real director of hockey operations would have addressed the dual GM/coach situation before it came to this embarrassing boiling point. he would have said to JM after last season "you're doing a great job as GM but you can't do both" in private and that would have been that. again, cohen just doesn't have experience to navigate this stuff.