HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrioch Weighs In On The Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Garrioch Weighs In On The Panthers

By BRUCE GARRIOCH of the Ottawa Sun

PITTSBURGH -- Jacques Martin lost one of his job titles when he was ousted as coach of the Florida Panthers yesterday.

Don't rule out the possibility he could be relieved of his duties as GM as well.

While Florida owner Alan Cohen told reporters the former Senators coach and St. Pascal native is welcome to stay on as the Panthers' GM, this situation is going to get a lot more interesting before all is said and done.

League sources say if Martin does stay on as the club's GM, he will be involved in choosing a new coach, but it's not known if he'll have the final say on who the next bench boss will be.

The talk among NHL GMs is Cohen would like to bring in former Atlanta coach Bob Hartley. The Hawkesbury native coached the Colorado Avalanche to a Stanley Cup championship in 2001 and has a strong resume.

Sources say Martin's No. 1 choice for the job would be Rochester Amerks coach Randy Cunneyworth, who is a former captain of the Senators and is considered one of the top coaching prospects in the business.

Though former Panthers centre Joe Nieuwendyk had been touted as a possible successor to Martin as coach, TSN reported he resigned earlier this week because he was "disillusioned" with the direction the organization is taking.

If Cohen insists on hiring Hartley, Martin might not exactly welcome the former Cup winner with open arms.

Two league sources told the Sun Martin and Hartley, who coached together for a year with Colorado's AHL affiliate when it was located in Cornwall, have a "frosty" relationship.

However, Hartley has always been a coach who publicly supports his GM.

Martin might decide he still wants to coach and could end up leaving the Panthers organizaton.

While Martin has always had the desire to move into a front office role at some point, he has yet to achieve his goal of coaching a team to the Stanley Cup.

There are opportunities out there for him: The Atlanta Thrashers are already looking for a bench boss, while Tampa Bay and Carolina could be in the market for new coaches soon.

If Martin decides to remain as GM, captain Olli Jokinen's stay in the Sunshine State could be short-lived. The Panthers might deny it, but they made an aggressive push to trade their star centre at the deadline.

You can be certain this saga isn't going to end quietly. There's a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Colu...1/5263616.html

Old
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
VirtualSpree

It's funny that whenever a writer wants to make something up, they cite a "league source"

Old
04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
It's funny that whenever a writer wants to make something up, they cite a "league source"
They might not be making it up but just might be reporting "gossip" between league officials who are speculating based on the reputations of the people involved without hearing anything from inside the Panthers Camp. The one thing, and it was the only thing that I thought interesting in the Garrioch article, was he says Cunneyworth was JM's top choice which is interesting since Cunneyworth supposedly interviewed for the assistent's job that JM passed him over in favor of Kitchen.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Yeah they got everything wrong there. They made up the part about Joe, they also made up the part that JM was "aggressively" trying to trade Olli. Its basically 100% bs.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Happy Girl

I would love to see a study done on Garrioch's accuracy. How many times does he get these things correct? Once again, another piece that seems to be all speculation with unnamed league sources... blah blah blah. When Garrioch has some legitimate news, someone please let me know.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
With Cohen coming on the Official Board to talk to us, and basically tell us all of that is made up ****, its hilarious looking at Garrioch and seeing how pathetic he is.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
With Cohen coming on the Official Board to talk to us, and basically tell us all of that is made up ****, its hilarious looking at Garrioch and seeing how pathetic he is.
Remember, just because Cohen said something he is doing is one thing, doesn't mean what he is actually doing could not be something entirely different. Not saying it is but call me skeptical considering his past history.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Remember, just because Cohen said something he is doing is one thing, doesn't mean what he is actually doing could not be something entirely different. Not saying it is but call me skeptical considering his past history.
Thing is, Cohen last night put his name on it, and said a few times he was an honest man and meant what he was saying. I think if you run an organization and talk to many fans and put your word to what you said, you wouldn't do something as stupid as going against what you said. Just the way I see it.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Thing is, Cohen last night put his name on it, and said a few times he was an honest man and meant what he was saying. I think if you run an organization and talk to many fans and put his word to what he said, you wouldn't do something as stupid as going against what you said. Just the way I see it.
But think about it, how would we know Cohen hasn't told JM he wants Hartley as coach? If JM goes along with that, then he'll say he was his choice, if JM doesn't go along with that, the story will be JM still wants to coach and has passed on the GM job for that reason. Or, Cohen could tell JM he wants Hartley and JM could say if you want him, I'm gone and then Cohen could back down. The truth is we will never know what really goes on behind closed doors and people rarely burn bridges when leaving a job. Keenan has yet to say a bad word about Cohen who has fired him twice.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
But think about it, how would we know Cohen hasn't told JM he wants Hartley as coach? If JM goes along with that, then he'll say he was his choice, if JM doesn't go along with that, the story will be JM still wants to coach and has passed on the GM job for that reason. Or, Cohen could tell JM he wants Hartley and JM could say if you want him, I'm gone and then Cohen could back down. The truth is we will never know what really goes on behind closed doors and people rarely burn bridges when leaving a job. Keenan has yet to say a bad word about Cohen who has fired him twice.
Because why would Cohen rush things....he said it himself that he is a very hands-off person.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
I certainly see your point, we will just have to see how this all unfolds

Old
04-13-2008, 12:26 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
i think the unfolding will be super-interesting!

Old
04-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Because why would Cohen rush things....he said it himself that he is a very hands-off person.
It doesn't matter what he calls himself, it's what the people who work for him call him and those presently employed won't say anything negative and those who have left usually don't speak ill of their former boss publicly so their next boss can see what could be in store for them once they leave their employ.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Thing is, Cohen last night put his name on it, and said a few times he was an honest man and meant what he was saying. I think if you run an organization and talk to many fans and put your word to what you said, you wouldn't do something as stupid as going against what you said. Just the way I see it.
In my experience, when someone is honest, they don't have to tell you they are honest. You know they are honest from their actions. People say things to appease them all of the time. March 28, 2007 - the EVP of our parent company called me to congratulate me on a great month and being one of the top salespeople, he was looking forward to another successful month in April. April 2, he had IT cut off my network access and sent 4 people to our division office to shut it down.

I am not saying he's not honest or not genuine. I would like to see him take action that show me he's a competent owner.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
In my experience, when someone is honest, they don't have to tell you they are honest. You know they are honest from their actions. People say things to appease them all of the time. March 28, 2007 - the EVP of our parent company called me to congratulate me on a great month and being one of the top salespeople, he was looking forward to another successful month in April. April 2, he had IT cut off my network access and sent 4 people to our division office to shut it down.

I am not saying he's not honest or not genuine. I would like to see him take action that show me he's a competent owner.
I agree, it would be fantastic if he could back up his comments with some positive action for the franchise.

Old
04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post

You should go to the other board. These are people who met him first hand. These are people who have been to these meetings before and were told honest things and didnt believe them. Somehow i think meeting him and his aura is important here, from what i gather.

You should also read what he writes. Its almost as if he doesnt care enough in lying to be a lier. He seems very smart and honest.

Closed Thread