HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give it up for Ribeiro

Old
04-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Caseman

vCash: 500
I know I'm using another sport as reference, but this is like the Dallas Mavericks gave up Steve Nash because they thought he was overpaid and had nothing in the tank. Then with the Phoenix Suns he works harder, wins two MVPs, and is regarded as one of the best point guards of all time. But you guys don't really care about basketball, do you?

EDIT

Last edited by Caseman: 04-13-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,
Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,
Very mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
To express my Constitutionally protected right to have an opinion. What else?
LOL - Yeah, that's fine, but I've never understood why people have a strong desire to express their lack of caring on a subject

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I know I'm using another sport as reference, but this is like the Dallas Mavericks trading Steve Nash because they thought he was overpaid and had nothing in the tank. Then with the Phoenix Suns he works harder, wins two MVPs, and is regarded as one of the best point guards of all time. But you guys don't really care about basketball, do you?
at least I care, but Nash wasn't traded, he signed in Phoenix as UFA. There's a few Basketball fans on Habs board.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Very mature.
How you found an insult in that, I don't know. I hope not all Habs are as sensitive as you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
at least I care, but Nash wasn't traded, he signed in Phoenix as UFA
Bah, details The point is we gave up on him. Not that we were wrong, because he wasn't exactly producing, but the trade invigorated him to become a better player. I just see the same situation with RIbs.

Old
04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Ribeiro is a very talented player, but i'd rather have a 1-2 punch of Plekanec-Koivu then Ribeiro-Koivu. I really like what Pleks brings to this team.
What about a 1-2 punch of Ribeiro-Plekanec ?

I think that the Habs needed to trade one of Ribeiro or Koivu . They decided to keep Koivu . At that time , only Michel Bergeron thought that Ribeiro was going to be better than Koivu . He was right

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:27 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcortex View Post
Habs - Ribeiro > Habs + Ribeiro
So true.

I mean who cares really why a stupid thread like this.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:41 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
ok here I am the anti-hab appreciating the work of a former Hab. Ribeiro with a goal again tonight. He's showing once and for all to those know it alls that he can play in playoffs ... not that there was any doubt in my mind, anybody who gets 90 points or so can play in playoffs anyway ... Gainey said it himself he made a mistake, hopefully people on Habs board do the same once and for all.
We will never know, but I suspect Ribeiro would never have played that well in Montreal. The kid suffered from a common home town player malady, BMOC syndrome.

But this is an old topic. Ribs had to get a change of scenery to wake up. Unfortunate he could not have grown up as a player in Montreal, his production would have been a real asset

PS: I always rooted for this kid but as time wore on I thought he had to go. Good for him that it worked out, but as it stands I am glad he was traded. By the way, I'd like to see how he does next year with that contract already signed. I do not think work ethic is a Ribs strong suit

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I know I'm using another sport as reference, but this is like the Dallas Mavericks gave up Steve Nash because they thought he was overpaid and had nothing in the tank. Then with the Phoenix Suns he works harder, wins two MVPs, and is regarded as one of the best point guards of all time. But you guys don't really care about basketball, do you?

EDIT
Not the same thing at all. Nash was respected in Dallas. Money was the issue. The Habs could not wait to get rid of Ribs. How much we got back shows what the market was for Ribs who had a rep all around the league

Ribs and Nash share nothing except the facts that they changed teams and did better later.

Old
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Trading Ribs was a major mistake. He is a top 17 player in the league who plays in traffic. He is better than Briere, Savard etc who were offered millions. Having 3 good offensive centers could be the difference between the cup and an also ran. Another boner trade the Habs are famous for. Statements like he had to go, the Habs cant keep 3 centers etc etc ares a joke. To have 3 centers of that caliber for 12.5 million is gold. To have 3 great lines is gold. He can speak french. Samsonov was the cancer. He doesnt steal purses or ogle children etc. He has the best hands in the league. So he took a dive. Can we quit whining about our players and supported unsubtantiated falsehoods and quit claiming a team only needs one center?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Not the same thing at all. Nash was respected in Dallas. Money was the issue. The Habs could not wait to get rid of Ribs. How much we got back shows what the market was for Ribs who had a rep all around the league

Ribs and Nash share nothing except the facts that they changed teams and did better later.
Those are such little similarities, you're right

Old
04-13-2008, 02:52 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Trading Ribs was a major mistake. He is a top 17 player in the league who plays in traffic. He is better than Briere, Savard etc who were offered millions. Having 3 good offensive centers could be the difference between the cup and an also ran. Another boner trade the Habs are famous for. Statements like he had to go, the Habs cant keep 3 centers etc etc ares a joke. To have 3 centers of that caliber for 12.5 million is gold. To have 3 great lines is gold. He can speak french. Samsonov was the cancer. He doesnt steal purses or ogle children etc. He has the best hands in the league. So he took a dive. Can we quit whining about our players and supported unsubtantiated falsehoods and quit claiming a team only needs one center?
You seem to have forgotten how much Ribs was despised not just in Montreal but other towns as well. The fact that we got so little in exchange says more about Ribs reputation than Gainey's trading savy. It would be a falsehood to say he was traded over a rep from "one dive".

As for "playing in traffic"? Maybe when he was a kid playing street hockey, but I never saw any toughness in his Habs games.

Anyway, this is getting really old. He is gone. He was traded for a reason. If he learned to grow up in Dallas, good for him.

Old
04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Those are such little similarities, you're right
With one MAJOR difference. Nash was a star before his trade. Ribs was . . . well he was famous for being Ribs

Old
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
With one MAJOR difference. Nash was a star before his trade. Ribs was . . . well he was famous for being Ribs
There is one possible similarity I hope you don't endure. The Mavericks after letting Nash go went all the way to the NBA Finals, only to collapse a 2-0 lead Even though I'm a Stars fan, I don't wish that heartbrake on anyone else..