HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

back to our roots

Old
04-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Slick Cat

vCash: 500
back to our roots

as I was watching the montreal game last night, they showed how Carboneau (sp?) and Muller, head coach and assitant coach, together raised the cup as players of the habs. Why have we not considered bringing back Maclean as a GM, with Skrudland as a coach, and Gord Murphy as an assistant. At least they have a history here, and it can't get much worse than the mess we have now.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:33 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
You're right.

Gordon Brown isn't doing a great job as prime minister. I'll bring back Winston Churchill.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Georgia Panther

Well, according to Barry Jackson, who makes what Garrioch writes seem like the word of God, MacLean has expressed interest in the Head Coaching Job but would be a long shot to get it.

(Former Panthers coach Doug MacLean, out of the league this season, said Saturday he's interested in the job, but a reunion would be surprising.)

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/493925.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:39 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
That would be sick if MacLean came back, he would be perfect. I want to go back to our roots so bad.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
You're right.

Gordon Brown isn't doing a great job as prime minister. I'll bring back Winston Churchill.
I'm in and I am raising your Winston Churchill with Thomas Jefferson.

In all seriousness, somedays I feel like this franchise is taking random shots in the dark. I would love to see a long term growth plan developed for this team, not just the revolving door of coaches/GMs. Our issues are deeper than that. We need a President/Director of Hockey Operations to serve as a go between for the GM and Cohen. someone with genuine hockey experience who understands what it takes to win hockey games. We need a sustainable farm system that produces NHL caliber players for the PANTHERS ONLY, none of this sharing with Buffalo stuff. We need someone to come in here and get rid of the country club atmosphere amongst the players. If we have a good system, designed to build a winning franchise, then we will have a better chance of getting a good coach/GM to want to come here.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
MacLean would be perfect. He actually demanded his players to give 100%. Also would be awesome to see him go nuts behind the bench again.

btw.. Is Skurdland still coaching, scouting or anything in the NHL? I havent seen him since his Flames days

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

I wouldn't mind bringing back MacLean as a head coach, but he is a horrible GM.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:27 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
as I was watching the montreal game last night, they showed how Carboneau (sp?) and Muller, head coach and assitant coach, together raised the cup as players of the habs. Why have we not considered bringing back Maclean as a GM, with Skrudland as a coach, and Gord Murphy as an assistant. At least they have a history here, and it can't get much worse than the mess we have now.
Maclean was awful as GM. Skrudland's NHL coaching experience was for 2 seasons as an assistant and he was fired. I don't even know what Murphy has been doing.

It can get worse, it can always get worse.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing back MacLean as a head coach, but he is a horrible GM.
Lets not go that route. MacLean was not that good in Columbus at either position, so why bring him here, because he was our past coach? No thanks. Id rather go with someone who has a pretty good resume (Hartley) or someone who is widely recognized as being a possible up and coming coach (Cunneyworth). Maybe you can bring someone in (Murphy) to serve as an assistant coach.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Lets not go that route. MacLean was not that good in Columbus at either position, so why bring him here, because he was our past coach? No thanks. Id rather go with someone who has a pretty good resume (Hartley) or someone who is widely recognized as being a possible up and coming coach (Cunneyworth). Maybe you can bring someone in (Murphy) to serve as an assistant coach.
Or Laus.

I'd have to agree. While I like that MacLean was able to do what he did in 96, I don't think he's the answer now. Didn't Oakland fire Art Shell too early however long ago, bring him back, then fire him again because it didn't come close to working?

04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Or Laus.

I'd have to agree. While I like that MacLean was able to do what he did in 96, I don't think he's the answer now. Didn't Oakland fire Art Shell too early however long ago, bring him back, then fire him again because it didn't come close to working?
Sorry, dont think you are qualified. Oh wait, let me not be disrespectful lol.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Sorry, dont think you are qualified. Oh wait, let me not be disrespectful lol.
Nice!

You haven't seen my resume', you don't know what I know. I was just making a suggestion...it's a free country!

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
MacLean was a great coach, and he was fired prematurely, we all know that. There are others I would like to see come here before him, but if he was hired I definitely wouldn't mind that. I'm not one for sentimental attachments to former employees of the organization, but this has nothing to do with that. It has solely to do with the fact that he was a great head coach before in this league. One thing MacLean has over Cunneyworth is experience. We can speculate all we want about how Cunneyworth might be a great NHL head coach, but the fact is we don't know that for sure. I'd actually rather we give Cunneyworth a try, but just because someone is recognized as a top coaching "prospect", doesn't mean he is automatically going to make a good NHL coach.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
MacLean was a great coach, and he was fired prematurely, we all know that. There are others I would like to see come here before him, but if he was hired I definitely wouldn't mind that. I'm not one for sentimental attachments to former employees of the organization, but this has nothing to do with that. It has solely to do with the fact that he was a great head coach before in this league. One thing MacLean has over Cunneyworth is experience. We can speculate all we want about how Cunneyworth might be a great NHL head coach, but the fact is we don't know that for sure. I'd actually rather we give Cunneyworth a try, but just because someone is recognized as a top coaching "prospect", doesn't mean he is automatically going to make a good NHL coach.
Im sorry...what I meant to say is that MacLean was bad in Columbus, not here. I know it didnt work out well for him at the end here, but thats not why I wouldnt like to see him back here. I just think Cunneyworth deserves the shot, and I also think Hartley is just a better coach than him.

Old
04-14-2008, 12:06 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=99862ee3-0739-4c03-aa4b-684e5ed5252c
WASHINGTON, D.C. Bobby Clarke isn't going to take out an ad in the Hockey News: Former general manager, only 58 years old, looking to get back in the business, will send references.

That's not his style.

"I don't think I've ever been a person who sold himself ... I couldn't operate that way," said the longtime Philadelphia Flyers GM who mutually left his job 18 months ago after 16 years in two different stints, with short stays in Florida and Minnesota, too. He's been an NHL player or a manager for about 38 of his 58 years.

Now he's keeping a low profile; again, not his style.

Clarke may not be in good spirits, because he's been meaningfully employed for most of his hockey life, but he's in good humour. When asked Fri-day how many points he had in his NHL debut, Clarke didn't have to think long.

"None. I don't think our team scored a goal in our four straight losses to the Blackhawks (1970-71)," said the Hall of Famer, who watched Alex Ovech-kin of the Washington Capitals get two points in his coming-out party, which was no surprise to Clarke.
I say hire Bobby Clarke as GM, let him pick the coach.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote