HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Smaller pads and hopefully less relevant goalies

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Smaller pads will hurt some goalies next seaon like Giguere, Luongo, Snow, Turco, Esche and many others. Brodeur is one of the goalies who have the smallest pads and it won't effect him one bit as he uses the 10" pads... I am sure there are a few more that use them but cannot recall any...
All goalies use 12" pads. 10" pads are tiny in comparison. Brodeur just looks proportioned because his equipment is not oversized.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Hellsempire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Jim Lahey
All goalies use 12" pads. 10" pads are tiny in comparison. Brodeur just looks proportioned because his equipment is not oversized.

Brodeur uses 10" pads and has been using them for his whole career...

Old
05-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:

I'm in no position to get in an arguement over this, all I know is that pads come in a standard width, and the only "size" you pick is the length. Maybe Brodeur gets them custom made to width. Myself, buying goalie equipment, the only option is 12" pads.

Some are actually 12", some are more like 13.5"

Old
05-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Here's an idea on how to limit the length on pads.

Take your height ie) 6'0" = 72"

divide height by two and minus 2 inches....that's the maximum height a pad can be.

So even at 6'4", (76") a 36" pad would be max, which is more than enough for protection.
Interesting idea. An easier way to do it in my opinion is to just go 6" above the knee. Period. It protects everything that needs to be protected. And if guys are worried that the top of their knees are exposed there are several workable solutions:

1. Attach protective pieces to the bottom of the pants legs. Speaking from personal experience they work.
2. Improve your butterfly technique.
3. Tighten your top straps so the the pad bends when you do. Radical idea I know, but it's crazy enough to work.

I'm 6'4 and I wear a 34" pad. I have yet to suffer any kind injury to the top of my knees. The safety argument in my mind is ridiculous. Same with the gloves. The piece linking the top of the thumb back the wrist protects absolutely nothing. Oddly enough it's called a "cheater." I'm tired of seeing goalies batting pucks down like their glove was a ping-pong paddle.

As far as the chest protectors go, limit the height of the shoulder pieces, fine, narrow the width of the extra arm pieces, fine, anything past that DOES get into protection. If you want to do anything more than a discussion needs to be started regarding the composite sticks.

Old
05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
As far as the chest protectors go, limit the height of the shoulder pieces, fine, narrow the width of the extra arm pieces, fine, anything past that DOES get into protection. If you want to do anything more than a discussion needs to be started regarding the composite sticks.
That would be fine by me. I think it's ridiculous that the NHL allows the players to use this defective equiptment on so regular a basis anyway. Sure it's neat that you can get a few extra mph on your shot, but when you've got 2 or 3 sticks breaking on the same *shift* then I think the equiptment needs to be taken out of the game completely until the manufacturers can get it right.

Not to mention that the ability of your average NHL'er to receive a simple pass has gone right into the crapper thanks to the new sticks.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Egil

Quote:
You sure Brodeur uses 10" pads? I know he uses short pads, but I highly doubt they are 10" wide....

Old
05-11-2004, 03:18 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
You sure Brodeur uses 10" pads? I know he uses short pads, but I highly doubt they are 10" wide....
I've found reference to Brodeur using 34" length, but not 10" wide - I'd be very surprised.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I'm somewhat sure he uses 12" pads. Using 10" pads really doesn't make sense. Brodeur used the same Heaton pads that other goalies like Turco and Belfour use as well.....can't see him asking for custom made 10" pads.

For sure he uses 34" pads. Brodeur doesn't butterfly, so he doesn't need long pads.

Old
05-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Brodeur

http://en.ccmsports.com/community/ar...icle_id=68&s=9

"For example, Martin Brodeur has been using the same chest protector since his junior days...you do the calculation, that's over 10 years!! Of course, it has been modified over the seasons. But he still refuses to change it. Other than that, Martin will use 2 pairs of pads and 3 sets of glove/blocker every year. There are no special specs about his equipment, he likes it very basic."

Somewhat reliable proof that Marty uses normal pads.....

Old
05-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Hellsempire

This is the last time I will say this...

Martin Brodeur uses 10" pads!!! I see Brodeur all the time and when I see him practice I can tell you they are 10" pads. Why is that so hard to believe?

Old
05-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
This is the last time I will say this...

Martin Brodeur uses 10" pads!!! I see Brodeur all the time and when I see him practice I can tell you they are 10" pads. Why is that so hard to believe?
Next time you see Marty, get a tape measure and measure his pads.

It's very hard to believe that Brodeur would be the only goalie that I've seen in the last 10 years to special order 10" pads...but you seem very adament that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Old
05-11-2004, 08:53 PM
DownFromNJ

Brodeur does butterfly, he just doesn't rely on only one style when he's saving pucks.

Old
05-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm very sure that all goaltenders have 12" pads. I'm sorry, but even though Brodeur's pads are small in length, they look the same in width as the other goaltenders.

Old
05-11-2004, 09:25 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Belfour has been dominant since 1990-1991. Pad sizes were a lot smaller then than they are now. Pads don't make a bad goalie good, they simply raise the save percentages of all goalies by around 15-20%. Some goalies like Brodeur, aren't affected nearly as much due to their choice of smaller equipment. I am in favour of the reduction of leg pads to 10" and limits need to be put on length. Aside from that, I am not to concerned abotu goalie equipment. Watch late 80's games. Sure there were a lot of goals but so many were like what nieuwendyl put past Lalime in game 7 .
I have a photo of Belfour in a book from his Chicago days, and he looks like an NFL offensive-lineman or a sumo wrestler. He was huge in that picture form sometime before the 1994-95 season.

However, goalies will be a major factor even if you get 6-3 scores. Last year in the Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Devils beat Anaheim 6-3. When the game 5-3, Brodeur made an incredible save that kept if from being a 1-goal game. Maybe Anaheim could have gotten the other goal if Brodeur didn't make the great save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Hoping for a goalie not to have such an impact on games is like hoping that pitchers wouldn't have such an influence on baseball games or QBs on football games. It comes with the territory, the positions.
Great post. All three of those are make-or-break positions. If any of them are terrible, their teams are doomed. If they are great, their teams are very hard to beat.

Old
05-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
Next time you see Marty, get a tape measure and measure his pads.

It's very hard to believe that Brodeur would be the only goalie that I've seen in the last 10 years to special order 10" pads...but you seem very adament that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

You think I asked him when I was at most of the practices? You damn right I did and this is why I am telling you this... It was not a special order as he has been wearing the 10" pads for a very long time...Plus he is not the only goalie to wear the 10" pads... I don't have to be adament when the man himself said it to me and many other Devils fans that were there...

Old
05-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
You think I asked him when I was at most of the practices? You damn right I did and this is why I am telling you this... It was not a special order as he has been wearing the 10" pads for a very long time...Plus he is not the only goalie to wear the 10" pads... I don't have to be adament when the man himself said it to me and many other Devils fans that were there...

Ok. I'll take your word for it. There's no need to make enemies over this. I'll admit that Brodeur's pads do look smaller than most. They could very well be 10's.

Just cool it with the

We're not idiots.......we just assumed that 12" was the legal width. Show us some actual proof and you're the man.

Otherwise, you're still gonna have skeptics.

BTW...who else wears 10" pads?

Old
05-12-2004, 07:03 AM
PecaFan

Saturday, May 17, 2003 - The Globe & Mail, Page S1
Steady Giguère streaks along

François Allaire: "The equipment is the same on everybody in the league, nobody in the league takes pads 11 inches wide, you take 12 because that's what is allowed."

Old
05-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
This is completely false and I am calling you on it. Simply not true.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDevil
No, but his equipment size did have alot to do with his GAA going from just above 3 in the 80's to just above 2 when he retired.
The size of pads has very little to nothing to do with the lowering of GAA in the past 15 or so years. What has caused that is the quality of play and players to increase. Just like you don't see .400 hitters or guys driving in 160+ runs with regularity in baseball because of the increase in quality of play, you aren't seeing leaders in GAA starting with the number 3 and save percentages hovering around .900. The quality of play has gone up, the bad players are better and thus it's tougher to score and take quality shots.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
This is completely false and I am calling you on it. Simply not true.
http://www.hvrsd.k12.nj.us/timberlan...es/trophi2.jpg

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/devils/goalie/brodeur.jpg

His leg pads might be the same size, to me they could be a bit wider, but since the photos aren't the same proportion (and you'll never find two that are) I can't say for sure. But his shoulder pads are certainly bigger.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Le Golie

Unless that puck is 2 inches wide instead of 3, those pads are 12 inches. The puck is flat and the pad is flat to the ground, no angle trickery here.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Cujo's pads are especially tall. They look like they come up to his waist!

http://www.detroitredwings.com/photo...A1A1844DE1A%7D

look at the pads overlapping his 5-hole. Not the greatest example, because he had his legs together, but it does illustrate a point.

That picture is a little out dated. These are his new pads, and they do go up to his waist.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...ryr110&prov=ap

Cujo in the "butterfly"
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...jmc107&prov=ap

Old
05-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Le Golie

Old
05-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Koho pads, CCM glove, and a Bauer blocker? Somebody at Bauer must not be happy...

Old
05-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
That picture is a little out dated. These are his new pads, and they do go up to his waist.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...ryr110&prov=ap

Cujo in the "butterfly"
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...jmc107&prov=ap

Yeah, that's the set I was looking for. Unbelievable.

Closed Thread