HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phantoms Thread/ Phantoms sold -- February 4, 2009 (post #957)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
  #76
TehBBA
Registered User
 
TehBBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bristol, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
You know what I found funny? The fact that no one knew Matsumoto was of Japanese descent. I'm going, "Matsumoto, that is such a Japanese name" when I first saw it, and there I was reading an interview with him and how the equipment guys at the Spectrum were all surprised at that fact.

Maybe it's because my parents are from Asia and I can tell Matsumoto is an Asian name.
I knew, I just didn't care.

TehBBA is offline  
Old
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM
  #77
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
You know what I found funny? The fact that no one knew Matsumoto was of Japanese descent. I'm going, "Matsumoto, that is such a Japanese name" when I first saw it, and there I was reading an interview with him and how the equipment guys at the Spectrum were all surprised at that fact.

Maybe it's because my parents are from Asia and I can tell Matsumoto is an Asian name.
And I was alarmed to find out NFL linebacker Scott Fujita was white. But as it turns out, he was adopted into a Japanese familly

RoDu is offline  
Old
12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
  #78
ki11joy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
And I was alarmed to find out NFL linebacker Scott Fujita was white. But as it turns out, he was adopted into a Japanese familly
Does the name Dat Ngyuen ring a bell? I was playing NFL 2k5 and he was a guy on the Cowboys. Ngyuen happens to be a very common name in Asia, sort of like Smith over here in America.

ki11joy is offline  
Old
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
  #79
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
Does the name Dat Ngyuen ring a bell? I was playing NFL 2k5 and he was a guy on the Cowboys. Ngyuen happens to be a very common name in Asia, sort of like Smith over here in America.
It sure does. I remember his days as the Cowboys MLB... I think his career ended a few years ago after a neck injury. Dat was actually a pretty good player for a bunch of years... too bad for him the Cowboys were awful (I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect, of course).

What a kick-ass name.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
  #80
rayearth
Registered User
 
rayearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
You know what I found funny? The fact that no one knew Matsumoto was of Japanese descent. I'm going, "Matsumoto, that is such a Japanese name" when I first saw it, and there I was reading an interview with him and how the equipment guys at the Spectrum were all surprised at that fact.

Maybe it's because my parents are from Asia and I can tell Matsumoto is an Asian name.
No one being who? It was the first thing I noticed. His mom's white, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
It sure does. I remember his days as the Cowboys MLB... I think his career ended a few years ago after a neck injury. Dat was actually a pretty good player for a bunch of years... too bad for him the Cowboys were awful (I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect, of course).
He is Vietnamese.

Also Park, who's Korean.

rayearth is offline  
Old
12-03-2007, 07:34 AM
  #81
continental divide*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
Can someone tell me how Matsumoto is playing? He leads the Team in scoring.
Normally, I am pretty level when it comes to prospects, but Matsumoto has been a very nice surprise.

He has a combination of some of the slickest hands and fluid skating you are ever going to want to see. He's a real treat to watch. Personally, I think he's ahead of Potulny with regards to next year and potentially sticking with the big club. (as far as Centers are concerned)

If Jeff Carter is moved, there is going to be a spot opening for a Centerman, and right now, I would think Matsumoto would have the inside track.

He could develop into something very special for the Flyers.

continental divide* is offline  
Old
02-08-2008, 01:17 AM
  #82
Russ2582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newark, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Russ2582
I'm planning on attending a Philadelphia Phantoms game this year and I was just wondering where is the best place to sit. Any suggestions are welcome.

Russ2582 is offline  
Old
02-08-2008, 02:12 AM
  #83
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,021
vCash: 50
anyone in the northeast going to the Phantoms/Monarchs game on Saturday night?

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
  #84
Flyers Fan Forever
 
Flyers Fan Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils2003champs View Post
I'm planning on attending a Philadelphia Phantoms game this year and I was just wondering where is the best place to sit. Any suggestions are welcome.
Maybe it's just me, but I always sit anywhere in the upper section. You have an excellent view of all the action.

And you pretty much have your pick of seat(s) because hardly anyone sits up there.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline  
Old
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
  #85
drcrusher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
I have season tickets in section 201 which is at center ice on the players' side. I am very happy there and consider them "good seats" and the best of almost anywhere I've sat before, but have also liked seats in section 214, behind the penalty boxes. As long as you are anywhere say from row 10 back you have a view of pretty much everything that's going on. I've liked sitting in the upper level on occasion too, but my preference generally is to be a little closer to the game.

drcrusher is offline  
Old
02-08-2008, 12:46 PM
  #86
Chainsaw
Registered User
 
Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Can we get a sticky on this?

Chainsaw is offline  
Old
02-10-2008, 08:21 AM
  #87
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Good win by the Phantoms against Manchester last night. Scott Munroe was 2nd star stopping 26-28 and goals were scored by Greentree and 2 by Ross.

Today they play an extremely good Providence team.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
02-10-2008, 10:16 AM
  #88
hockeyphan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
Anybody know why Potulny is not playing? The Phantoms site does a very poor job of reporting injuries, suspensions, status changes, call-ups.

hockeyphan25 is offline  
Old
02-10-2008, 12:19 PM
  #89
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
Anybody know why Potulny is not playing? The Phantoms site does a very poor job of reporting injuries, suspensions, status changes, call-ups.
It's not just the Phantoms, it's the AHL in general.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
  #90
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Phantoms win 4-3 in a shootout against Syracuse. The game was on CSN and was a pretty entertaining game.

Boucher was named 2nd star of the night by the AHL, which is rather comical as Syracuse scored 2 goals in the last 2 minutes on save-able shots to tie the game to force overtime. I guess the league just looks at the 43 saves that he made during the game and not what actually happened.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
02-15-2008, 01:34 AM
  #91
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,478
vCash: 1333
Flyers Vice President Bob Clarke to be honoured by AHL Philadelphia Phantoms

Quote:
http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...-1V4DyhUnEPcbw

PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Phantoms will induct Bob Clarke into the team's Hall of Fame, the club announced Thursday.

Clarke will be honoured in a pre-game ceremony on March 30 when the Phantoms host the Hamilton Bulldogs. "I'm proud of my connection to the Phantoms and the success the team has achieved," Clarke said in statement. "To be recognized as a Hall of Fame member speaks to the great tradition of AHL and NHL hockey in Philadelphia."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
02-15-2008, 11:24 PM
  #92
hockeyphan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Phantoms win 4-3 in a shootout against Syracuse. The game was on CSN and was a pretty entertaining game.

Boucher was named 2nd star of the night by the AHL, which is rather comical as Syracuse scored 2 goals in the last 2 minutes on save-able shots to tie the game to force overtime. I guess the league just looks at the 43 saves that he made during the game and not what actually happened.
Yeah Syracuse's first two goals were basically dump ins when there were going for a line change. With that said, I didn't see most of his 43 saves.

hockeyphan25 is offline  
Old
04-13-2008, 09:35 PM
  #93
Chainsaw
Registered User
 
Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Here is the Phantoms Playoff Schedule

East Division Semifinal Series D (best-of-7)
E2-Philadelphia Phantoms vs. E3-Albany River Rats || Preview
Game 1 Wed., Apr. 16 Philadelphia at Albany, 7:00
Game 2 Fri., Apr. 18 Albany at Philadelphia, 7:05 (WC)
Game 3 Sun., Apr. 20 Albany at Philadelphia, 5:05 (WC)
Game 4 Tue., Apr. 22 Philadelphia at Albany, 7:00
*Game 5 Thu., Apr. 24 Philadelphia at Albany, 7:00
*Game 6 TBA Albany at Philadelphia (WC)
*Game 7 TBA Albany at Philadelphia (WC)

Chainsaw is offline  
Old
04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
  #94
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
Here is the Phantoms Playoff Schedule

East Division Semifinal Series D (best-of-7)
E2-Philadelphia Phantoms vs. E3-Albany River Rats || Preview
Game 1 Wed., Apr. 16 Philadelphia at Albany, 7:00
Game 2 Fri., Apr. 18 Albany at Philadelphia, 7:05 (WC)
Game 3 Sun., Apr. 20 Albany at Philadelphia, 5:05 (WC)
Game 4 Tue., Apr. 22 Philadelphia at Albany, 7:00
*Game 5 Thu., Apr. 24 Philadelphia at Albany, 7:00
*Game 6 TBA Albany at Philadelphia (WC)
*Game 7 TBA Albany at Philadelphia (WC)
I like that match-up.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
  #95
Moose29
Registered User
 
Moose29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Newark, DE
Country: United States
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
i just saw the Ratchuk highlight from the phantoms game, holy **** that was ridiculous

Moose29 is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:05 AM
  #96
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose29 View Post
i just saw the Ratchuk highlight from the phantoms game, holy **** that was ridiculous
Yeah it was! Holy ****, just saw it on CSN. Found it on Youtube as well...


claude boivin lives is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
  #97
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Yeah it was! Holy ****, just saw it on CSN. Found it on Youtube as well...

Wow, wow.

I laughed my ass off at the announcer . "And before you knew it, the piece of chicken was in the back of the net"

DeadPhish5858 is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
  #98
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Wow, wow.

I laughed my ass off at the announcer . "And before you knew it, the piece of chicken was in the back of the net"
Greatest announcer ever.

Ex Storm is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
  #99
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
I like that match-up.
I don't. Michael Leighton is the best goaltender in the AHL and could definitely be the difference in the series while the Phantoms goaltending is shaky at best.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:34 AM
  #100
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I don't. Michael Leighton is the best goaltender in the AHL and could definitely be the difference in the series while the Phantoms goaltending is shaky at best.
The Phantoms added a ton of grit to their roster just recently, along with a reasonable amount of skill. For a team that already had 5 twenty goal scorers dressing every night, that's going to make the Phantoms' offense slightly more potent. The only thing I question about their roster is their ability to defend (which as you've pointed out is only compounded by the their questionable goaltending).

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.