HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Nieuwy out of Florida per TSN

Old
04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Booth10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm glad GR sorted things out a bit. I'm not surprised that Nieuwyndyk's upset with Yormark and Cohen. I've heard from other former players that they weren't happy with them, either. According to one of them, ownership makes them but their game-worns. I mean, seriously? They were hurtin that bad?

Was very glad to hear that Joe didn't leave because of Martin, but I wonder what direction he has an issue with, then.
Pleez, he quits 1 day after Martin is asked to stay as GM and he wants people to believe that isnt the reason.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Pleez, he quits 1 day after Martin is asked to stay as GM and he wants people to believe that isnt the reason.
Actually, I think the quotes from the Gorten article pretty much spell out that it isn't the reason, and the decision wasn't made in just the last 24 hours.

04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Actually, I think the quotes from the Gorten article pretty much spell out that it isn't the reason, and the decision wasn't made in just the last 24 hours.
When I read that article, it sounded to me like spin. I wouldn't be so quick to discount Bob McKenzie's account.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Bystander

Quote:
Bingo...

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
Bingo...
Quote:
Joe Nieuwendyk, who has served as a special consultant to Martin for the past year, will not be part of the coaching search. He resigned Wednesday.
From GR's article today.

04-12-2008, 08:03 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Well, it's a shame to see Joe go. However, if his heart wasn't in it, I appreciate him thinking about the organization and walking away instead of sticking around going through the motions.

I'm curious to see if his absence makes any impact to those players that were influenced greatly by his presence...namely Stephen Weiss.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Can this organization ever do anything right

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:14 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Can this organization ever do anything right
Well, of course, they're experts at mediocrity.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:37 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Some people here never cease to amaze me. You know what it was also one day after? Martin being removed as coach. And wasn't he here because of Martin in the first place?

No, I'm not going to act like the knee-jerk crowd and assume that what I feel is right. But neither side can possibly be confirmed right as of this moment, it's ridiculous to pretend that you are and make such comments.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:43 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Some people here never cease to amaze me. You know what it was also one day after? Martin being removed as coach. And wasn't he here because of Martin in the first place?

No, I'm not going to act like the knee-jerk crowd and assume that what I feel is right. But neither side can possibly be confirmed right as of this moment, it's ridiculous to pretend that you are and make such comments.
i wasn't sure how to take booth10's comment so i left it alone. anyway, i've already commented on this and you're right, there is some conflicting (or confusing) evidence and no way to really know what happened. however, what i bolded and the additional knowledge that newy wasn't looking for a GM position are really the key pieces of evidence at this point. it would appear that newy's beef was not with JM.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
we've been swapping coaches for more than 5 years... Stability has come hasn't it?
This organization lost Nieuwy today and that is a big blow.. He could have been a big plus in our org but now hes gone. I think getting rid of Jacques caused more problems than it will solve.
Well, I guess you would be satisfied with mediocrity because that's the best this organization can achieve with Jacques Martin as coach. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm saying his philosophy doesn't exactly fit the new NHL, nor does it fit the make-up of the roster. As a GM, I'm not sure how he will do, but getting rid of Jacques as coach may cause problems in the present, but it is the right time to do it looking ahead. Cohen said the rebuilding process is over and I completely agree. Martin had his chances and it didn't work out, it happens. Someone else needs to step in and give it a shot.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I asked Cohen about this and he told me:

Quote:
Joe has 3 young kids and was nice enough to do a whole lot of traveling for us this year. I think it was wearing on him.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Well, I guess you would be satisfied with mediocrity because that's the best this organization can achieve with Jacques Martin as coach. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'm saying his philosophy doesn't exactly fit the new NHL, nor does it fit the make-up of the roster. As a GM, I'm not sure how he will do, but getting rid of Jacques as coach may cause problems in the present, but it is the right time to do it looking ahead. Cohen said the rebuilding process is over and I completely agree. Martin had his chances and it didn't work out, it happens. Someone else needs to step in and give it a shot.
No coach will ever fit the makeup of this roster because we never keep a GM long enough to get a roster that plays any one style.

melting pot of styles = mediocrity

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I wonder if Joe would consider taking some job on with the Leafs? I could see him going to Dallas, to work with his buddy Hull, too.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 03:55 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I wonder if Joe would consider taking some job on with the Leafs? I could see him going to Dallas, to work with his buddy Hull, too.
Joe quit hockey and the organization because he has 3 kids and traveled a lot when he said he didn't want to. He is going to take the years off to raise his family....all the articles are completely false...

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I think he would like to stay in hockey as long as it's the right situation for his family. I also think it's more likely he'd go to Dallas or back to Cornell, both teams he spent longer time with and has an emotional connection to. He also owns a home in Ithaca and the college schedule is less demanding (less travel) than the NHL. Then again, his three children were born in Dallas, he still has a lot of ties to the city and they certainly have shown a willingness to hire former players. Then again, he could wind up with the contingency in Montreal with Carbo and Muller.

Who knows? It's all speculation at this point. For Joe's sake though, I hope he doesn't get involved with the hornet's nest that is Leafs management.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:36 PM
wpring

I think the final conclusion is that Bob Mackenzie was wrong then correct? Obviously a busy time of year for him and he did correctly break most of the important details of the story but the comments about Newy being upset with management seem to be incorrect, IMO.

wpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
PanthersRule96

As if Joe is going to tell Cohen "I don't like you mangling with the team so I'm quitting......"

The most diplomatic way out is saying it's too much time and he wants to raise his family. That way you don't offend anyone and everyone accepts what you say. Maybe that is true, but Joe is not going to offend Cohen or Martin, but the real reason may be because he doesn't like the direction the team is going and doesn't want to be involved in what he thinks may end up being a mess.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpring View Post
I think the final conclusion is that Bob Mackenzie was wrong then correct? Obviously a busy time of year for him and he did correctly break most of the important details of the story but the comments about Newy being upset with management seem to be incorrect, IMO.
The final conclusion hasn't been made. Nobody really knows what his real reason for leaving was.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote