HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- ipod Touch

Old
04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
NHLcrazy

vCash: 500
OT- ipod Touch

Was looking at the apple ipod touch 32GB (around 460-500$)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...est%5Fcookie=1

My priorities are:

1-Wi-fi

Can you get a connection at home using a standard modem? Can you use it worlwide? Can you do pretty much everything you do on a normal browser like posting here at HF's for example?

2-Videos

I know movies need to converted in mp4's, is the quality (audio and video) alright to actually watch a 2 hours movie? Does a 1gb movie becomes a like 5gb file once converted?

3-Music

Can i just put my mp3's i have on my computer in the ipod or do i have to buy all the songs from the itune store

4-The rest (maps,agenda...)

tks for any input

------------------------------------------------------

also as anyone heard or have one of these (Archos):

http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5...try=ca&lang=en

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Was looking at the apple ipod touch 32GB (around 460-500$)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...est%5Fcookie=1

My priorities are:

1-Wi-fi

Can you get a connection at home using a standard modem? Can you use it worlwide? Can you do pretty much everything you do on a normal browser like posting here at HF's for example?

2-Videos

I know movies need to converted in mp4's, is the quality (audio and video) alright to actually watch a 2 hours movie? Does a 1gb movie becomes a like 5gb file once converted?

3-Music

Can i just put my mp3's i have on my computer in the ipod or do i have to buy all the songs from the itune store

4-The rest (maps,agenda...)

tks for any input

------------------------------------------------------

also as anyone heard or have one of these (Archos):

http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5...try=ca&lang=en
1. Couldn't tell you. I have the Touch here in Japan, and (while I have successfully connected to various wi-fi areas) haven't successfully navigated with it yet (maps, navi, web pages, etc). rumour has it that all the things you mentioned can actually be performed, and obviously I am retarded.

2. There's a really small piece of software that will convert any common windows video format into apple compatible mp4:
http://www.imtoo.com/ipod-movie-converter.html

Cuts down a bit of space, and the quality is awesome but for top quality you're still looking at about 150 or more MB per 30 min episode of something, unless you convert a lower quality source in the first place.

3. All your mp3s (as long as they're loaded by iTunes) will still work. Spend some time going to amazon.com, search for and copy/paste all your album covers into itunes (there's a place to copy images in the bottom left usually). You'll love yourself for it.

4. Haven't used a lot of the extras (still can't get the u-tube feature going), but I can tell you that the battery life is pretty impressive if managed correctly (turning off the display during long listening periods, for example). I can tell you that input and navigation of the iTouch's features is surprisingly good, easy to use, and accurate, despite the small area your finger has to touch. Scrolling albums and artists is fantastic.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
24Cups

Numbers tagged to OP's list:

1- I have an iPhone (same as Itouch except with the phone) and I access Wi-fi everywhere there is open access (I can also get it through AT&T). Connection speed is excellent. Yes, the browser is Safari and you can access email through internet (and pop) and post on hfboards, etc ....

2- MP4s play crystal clear (dare I say HDesque) on the screen and the sound is awesome. A 2 hour converted movie from DVD takes up about 1gb of space in mp4.

3- You can play any mp3s you load into your itune application on a PC/Mac. Identical to iPod.

4- If iTouch comes with maps you'll need to be in a Wi-fi zone to access them but they are fantastic. I do a little business travelling to different cities in the States and this has become my favorite tool for finding restaurants, directions, etc... . The newest software upgrade now includes a gps-lite system. It won't pinpoint things but will take tell you where you are within 50 yards or so.

I'm thinking about buying an iTouch (he lives in Quebec) for my nephew as a high school graduating gift and I have checked them out somewhat. They seem to have all of the features that my iPhone has. Unless you want to store a load of music or video, the 8gb size should suit you fine. New and old files are easily swapped out. They are pricy but worth it if you have a few spare bucks.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
CPrice

Just bought an iPod touch yesterday. Cocerning Wifi you cannot connect to a authenticated network. However with the Jailbreak hack it allows you to do so. I think other people have already cleared up some of the other points.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
3. All your mp3s (as long as they're loaded by iTunes) will still work. Spend some time going to amazon.com, search for and copy/paste all your album covers into itunes (there's a place to copy images in the bottom left usually). You'll love yourself for it.
Sounds like a long and painful procedure...damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
3- You can play any mp3s you load into your itune application on a PC/Mac. Identical to iPod.
I never had an ipod or a Mac so i don't know what or how itunes is...is it free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Just bought an iPod touch yesterday. Cocerning Wifi you cannot connect to a authenticated network. However with the Jailbreak hack it allows you to do so. I think other people have already cleared up some of the other points.
So if i'm home and there's not free Wi-Fi network near by (university,coffee shop...) i can 't connect with my home modem? that sucks bad!

Jailbreak hack? is it easy to do/use?

Old
04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Habitant#1

Get an iPhone. It's essentially an iPod touch, with more storage capacity and a phone. You can't use the phone part in Canada yet (unless you jailbreak it), but even without the phone, it's still a better iPod touch.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
So if i'm home and there's not free Wi-Fi network near by (university,coffee shop...) i can 't connect with my home modem? that sucks bad!
Just buy a cheap wireless Router (25-50$) and you will be able to connect via wifi in your house.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:17 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcortex View Post
Just buy a cheap wireless Router (25-50$) and you will be able to connect via wifi in your house.
Stupid me...i meant router not modem! oops! i do have one so it's all good then? It is a secured network though so i guess there's something to do to 'sign in'....

Old
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Squeaky

Looking at your list of questions, can I strongly suggest you take a look at the competition? There's a little-known company in France making excellent devices known as the Archos. I have the 605 30 gig, which is the biggest HD you can get without the device getting thicker. If you can live with a brick in your pocket, they go up to 160 gigs or so.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...89&catid=24874

Advantages:

- Bigger and Better screen
- Can play most video formats (including .avi), instead of just mp4.
- Drag & drop files. No iTunes or equivalent BS
- Can delete files on the fly. Can share files on the fly via the wifi.
- Price: BestBuy says 329, but I got mine for 259 around christmas. You do have to pay a little extra (20 bucks or so) to get the web browser plugin though.
- Cool accesiories like battery extender (which has a USB plug, very cool for sharing files and such with friends), video recorder that lest you rip straight from TV to your device, portable webcam, and a few others.

Disadvantages:

- It's much bulkier.
- Not nearly as pretty looking.
- Occasional crashes (pretty minor though, all you have to do is turn it on again)
- Takes longer to charge, unless you get the charging station.

I find that generally people who want to get the most out of their players really like the Archos. They can do everything the touch can do and more, and the screen is nicer. But if you like the appeal of the sleeker, sexier little touch, by all means go with it. The things that really won me over were the ability to play any kind of file, and the drag & drop features. It's a shame too, because there's no reason why an iPod has to be like that, it's just because Apple loves their proprietary nonsense.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

Disadvantages:

- It's much bulkier.
That's a big downside...i jog and bike a lot and i don't want to carry that huge thing with me. Otherwise it looks very good...

Old
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Stupid me...i meant router not modem! oops! i do have one so it's all good then? It is a secured network though so i guess there's something to do to 'sign in'....
You will need to configure your itouch and enter the WEP key and it should work.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
24Cups

Quote:

I never had an ipod or a Mac so i don't know what or how itunes is...is it free?
iTunes is free and a painless way to even archive your mp3s and mp4s. Go to apple.com and download the most recent version. It's not microsoft, so it's not going to take over your computer.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
biggymac609

jailbreak hack is definitley worth it, if you need help doing it, i know my stuff very well about it, send me a pm and i cud help u out

biggymac609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
That's a big downside...i jog and bike a lot and i don't want to carry that huge thing with me. Otherwise it looks very good...
I have a little 256 meg flash one I use to jog with. I use the other one for commuting to work (streetcar/subway/bus) and such.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
I wouldn't buy it; I would get an iPhone instead.

There is not enough space to do everything you want and it's very fragile.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Get an iPhone. It's essentially an iPod touch, with more storage capacity and a phone. You can't use the phone part in Canada yet (unless you jailbreak it), but even without the phone, it's still a better iPod touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
I wouldn't buy it; I would get an iPhone instead.

There is not enough space to do everything you want and it's very fragile.
Well the iphone only comes in 8 or 16 gb...so it's smaller? no? and for the same price (500$) i can get a 32gb touch

And it's not sold in Quebec (ebay or online i guess) and it sucks that rogers, bell or Fido don't support it yet...I have fido and they're usually not that slow to pick up new technologies

Old
04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
biggymac609

NHLcrazy, theres a way to "unlock" your iPhone so it works with any sim card in the whole world, pm me i could explain it

biggymac609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

It seems to me that an Ipod Touch is a consumer item that someone like Milan Lucie would really like to buy.

This would fit with his favorite song that he could listen on it :

Touch me, by Samantha Fox

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:32 PM
mabus

I have the 16 gig touch....

It's great for networking at home. I still haven't figured out how to get access to open wifi hotspots around town, they all seem to be locked with passwords ...

It's not that good for watching movies, let's face it the screen is pretty damn small. But if you are stuck somewhere {say you're out late at night somewhere, waiting for the next bus that won't come for another hour} then i guess it would be a nice little feature to have. It should not be your primary purpose for buying it though obviously.

For mp3's.... it's simply the best, by far. Sound quality is excellent, the touch control are simply drool-worthy.

The jailbreaking option allows you to add in all sorts of nice goodies for free.

The battery simply sucks. You can't replace it yourself, you can't extend the life of it, and when it dies completely in a year or two, you have to send the whole unit in to replace it. Definate downside.

Overall i'm very happy with mine. The touch controls for mp3's alone are worth the cost, and none of the competitors can match it. Not to even mention the coolness factor of the touch controls, or the beauty of the 'coverflow' feature {words wouldn't do it justice, you just have to see it yourself}

It's a flash drive so it's very rugged and durable, i've dropped mine numerous times with no problems at all

Another downside is how easily it smudged. This thing >LOVES< fingerprints. You should definately protect it with something, preferably the "invisible shield". Transparent smudge and scratch-proof protection.

I'm definately going to upgrade from the 16 gig to the 32 gig version later this summer.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote