HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Your Opinion of Alan Cohen Changed?

View Poll Results: How would you characterize your attitude towards the Panthers Owner?
Positive 15 65.22%
Negative 6 26.09%
No change 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Booth10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
He did hire a Hockey Czar. His name is Jacques Martin. Sorry to disappoint you all.
Exactly.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Exactly.
The "Hockey Czar" CAN"T BE the GM or Head Coach. He hires, fires and monitors them. As such, JM, at the moment, doesn't qualifiy and can not qualify until he gives up the GM position.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The "Hockey Czar" CAN"T BE the GM or Head Coach. He hires, fires and monitors them. As such, JM, at the moment, doesn't qualifiy and can not qualify until he gives up the GM position.
So basically, you want another name to blame when everything inevitably goes wrong.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Georgia Panther

No, I want a Hockey Novice, Alan Cohen, taken out of the loop in making hockey decisions as in hiring and firing General Managers and Head Coaches.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I'm surprised that no one else is feeling this way. After years of bumbling the front office positions, making stupid hires and fires, and perpetuating mediocrity all the guy needs to do is make a few friendly posts on the official forum and all of a sudden he's a great owner.

How many more games have we won since he posted? Oh, none... that's right. For all we know it could have been his assistant or secretary or something.
Tampa Bay didnt make a change and they went from the best team in the league, to the worst.
Anaheim had 5 GM's and 4 coaches in the 5 years preceding their Stanley Cup victory.
The Capitals change and they win the Division. We don't and we don't.
Ottawa changes and they go nowhere.
Pat Riley came back and forth. Go blame Arison.
Miami Dolphins have had more switches than we have. Go blame Huizenga.
How many coaches have the Marlins had? Go blame Luria.
The Herald reported that 21 coaches have been fired since JM was hired.
He has coached more games than anyone in Panther history.
Instability?

If you have the recipe for success, good for you. I dont know it all, he doesnt know it all and either do you. But were not the 1-15 Dolphins, the 14-66 Heat or whatever few games the Marlins won last year.
Were a good young team, with more prospects on the way. Were spending to the cap, in a non-hockey market and he just handed out $150million in contracts to the young players. Any other local team have so many players stay for so long?

The Marlins have much more revenue from TV and revenue sharing and spend $20million a year on players. Give me a break.

Last edited by Booth10: 04-14-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Tampa Bay didnt make a change and they went from the best team in the league, to the worst.
Anaheim had 5 GM's and 4 coaches in the 5 years preceding their Stanley Cup victory.
The Capitals change and they win the Division. We don't and we don't.
Ottawa changes and they go nowhere.
Pat Riley came back and forth. Go blame Arison.
Miami Dolphins have had more switches than we have. Go blame Huizenga.
How many coaches have the Marlins had? Go blame Luria.
The Herald reported that 21 coaches have been fired since JM was hired.
He has coached more games than anyone in Panther history.
Instability?

If you have the recipe for success, good for you. I dont know it all, he doesnt know it all and either do you. But were not the 1-15 Dolphins, the 14-66 Heat or whatever few games the Marlins won last year.
Were a good young team, with more prospects on the way. Were spending to the cap, in a non-hockey market and he just handed out $150million in contracts to the young players. Any other local team have so many players stay for so long?

The Marlins have much more revenue from TV and revenue sharing and spend $20million a year on players. Give me a break.
that "we don't we don't" statement is garbage - pb threw that out there a couple of days ago. if you think this team was ready to play 20 games over 500 hockey and win the division, you're out of your mind (or being disingenuous). i don't think you do though so i'll stop there.

however, you do make some good points. there is no magic recipe. there is a pretty solid core to build around and despite failing to make the playoffs, i'm still upbeat about the team's future. i don't have a problem with how cohen's handled the finances. the problem is that he's not a hockey person and, right now, he's making hockey decisions and, despite what he claims, he clearly IS interfering with hockey operations. i'd love to have a gregarious mark cuban type owner down there who loves the team and who the fans love. i'm guessing (not sure tho) that mark cuban is happy letting the guys who know what they're doing make the decisions. there are owners out there that can handle this stuff but after so many years and so many mistakes in terms of GM and coaches, it's clear cohen isn't one of them.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote