HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

a non cap CBA proposal

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
HFNHL PIT GM
OlliMacBjugStrome

vCash: 500
a non cap CBA proposal

what happened to the business of hockey board ? i must have missed a memo, but i cant seem to find it anymore.

anyhow, this was something i posted over there and was hoping for some more feedback. i did edit a bit, but for the most part its some ideas to help solve the issues as I see them.

BUMP

im of the school that there isnt a compeition issue in the NHL. it sounds like for some markets, the problem is the owners revenues arent enough, right ? a cap doesnt solve any problems for teams who cant even afford a 40m payroll.

so the question and answer is in how to increase revenues so the owners can continue to pay the players under the current model.

1. take the players offer a 5% pay cut. why not ?
2. extend the season by two more home games each team. easy, two more gates. so what if its on the players backs, if they dont want a salary cap and they want to earn disgusting sums of money, they can play a game a day all year long for all I care.
3. well, the argument for point 2 is player durability. in lieu, add 1 roster spot to the game day roster so the coach can rotate more players onto the ice during a game. this costs zero extra dollars, just takes a guy from the press box and puts skates on him. seems like a win / win for both parties. more players get to play, which is a good thing right ?
4. add 4 (2 per conference) more play off spots and have a best of 5 wild card round. face it, not only do the playoffs excite the fans, they also dont pay the players. again, since the owners are agreeing to a free market system, the players will have to understand that it must be fiananced some how and that it will be on their backs. money doesnt grow on tree's and if the players dont want a cap, they have to prove they are a cash resource for the owners.
5. owners can also have a mechansim for calling players to arbitration. fair is fair boys. if you are worth it, you will get it, so suck it up.
6. no salary cap

see, both sides give and take. but lets not mistake ourselves, if the owners dont learn to control themselves, there is nothing the players can ever do to solve it. there are some ways to balance the playing field and the players can agree to create more revenue for the owners, afterall thats what makes the system work.

i know its not perfect, but there is no reason to kill the NHL over how to split up a few billion dollars.

dr

Old
05-12-2004, 11:07 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
well..that gets shot down immediately with the reduction to a 72 game schedule. something that both the owners and players can agree on. oh, well....next??

Closed Thread