HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flames are on Fire!

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 09:47 AM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
a sad day for the NHL when a complete waste like Donovan warrants a thread.

????....ya okay

Old
12-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
I see some of you have taken offense on what Cyclops had to say about Donovan. First off, he knows hes not a "complete waste"...his speed makes him an effective checker and penalty killer. But I see some of you acting as if his hands of STONES!! are now hands of gold. Don't let one hot stretch fool ya...consider the Flames lucky if they get 15 goals outta him. I believe thats what Cyclops meant by his post...a thread for just yer average NHL role player (I don't think theres anything wrong with that however). Besides, us Sharks fans are just mad that he never had a stretch like that for us.

edit: left out a thought

Last edited by Patty Ice: 12-09-2003 at 10:29 AM.
Old
12-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupBound
Quality post from a quality poster/moderator.

How many goals have you scored in the NHL?

Your comment is idiotic and irrelevant. If I was getting paid a fortune to play NHL hockey then what I have done would be relevant.

The question is how can a minor leaguer like Donovan playing with two other guys who would be 4th liners on a contender (McAmmond, Gelinas) score 9 goals in 6 games while much more talented players flounder.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Shin Pad

If the Flames get 15 goals out of Donovan this season, I will be very happy. It would be a career year for him. Also, the goals have been timely and have been a huge part of the Flames current streak. What Flames fan wouldn't be happy with that. Besides, there is a good possibility that he could do much better than 15 goals, which would be a real bonus.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:06 AM
icarus

Quote:
The question is how can a minor leaguer like Donovan playing with two other guys who would be 4th liners on a contender (McAmmond, Gelinas) score 9 goals in 6 games while much more talented players flounder.
Maybe he's not a minor leaguer?

Old
12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Your comment is idiotic and irrelevant. If I was getting paid a fortune to play NHL hockey then what I have done would be relevant.

um...Have you seen Donovan play on the Flames?

Old
12-09-2003, 11:44 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Donovan a minor leaguer? Hmm, not quite.

In my mind, Donovan is one underated player. I'm not just saying that now because he's scored a few goals, but even back to last season when the Flames picked him up.

He's extremely quick, good forechecker, gritty, and plays with a lot of emotion. I wouldn't say his hands are made of stone, in fact he's proven to be decent in the offensive zone too.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Cain

Quote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. And yet you are a moderator, amazing.

Donovan does not have goalscorers hands, yet he is using his other skills (great speed, great forecheck) to his advantage, and reaping the benefits. Flames fans do not expect the 30+ goal season he is currently on pace for.

And no, Gelinas and Mcammond are not 4th line material on a contender, get off your high horse, you obviously have very limited hockey knowledge. Stop embarassing yourself.

And I fully agree with CCF that Donovan is a very underrated player. When he was brought in by the flames last season, I wasn't expecting much, but he is a GREAT third line forward, who brings 100% effort night in and night out.

Last edited by Cain: 12-09-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old
12-09-2003, 12:31 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
You have no idea what you are talking about. And yet you are a moderator, amazing.

Donovan does not have goalscorers hands, yet he is using his other skills (great speed, great forecheck) to his advantage, and reaping the benefits. Flames fans do not expect the 30+ goal season he is currently on pace for.

And no, Gelinas and Mcammond are not 4th line material on a contender, get off your high horse, you obviosly have very limited hockey knowledge. Stop embarassing yourself.

And I fully agree with CCF that Donovan is a very underrated player. When he was brought in by the flames last season, I wasn't expecting much, but he is a GREAT third line forward, who brings 100% effort night in and night out.
well its pretty clear this moderator , Cyclops II, hates either the Flames, Sutter or both

on the elite "moderator only" Press box board there is a post where he suggests the Flames should be contracted because they have
a) no fans (despite consistently having above average attendance after 7 years of non playoff hockey)
b) a bum coach (who has never missed the playoffs in a full season of coaching in the NHL)
and c) a lousy team (who are 5 games over .500)

so obviously he has some unresolved issues :mad:

Old
12-09-2003, 12:35 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
well its pretty clear this moderator , Cyclops II, hates either the Flames, Sutter or both

on the elite "moderator only" Press box board there is a post where he suggests the Flames should be contracted because they have
a) no fans (despite consistently having above average attendance after 7 years of non playoff hockey)
b) a bum coach (who has never missed the playoffs in a full season of coaching in the NHL)
and c) a lousy team (who are 5 games over .500)

so obviously he has some unresolved issues :mad:
LOL... thanks for pointing that out loooober, I didn't see that. I see his hate-on has no basis in reality.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Cain

I saw that post too loooob....

It's amazing that they get someone with zero hockey knowledge to be a moderator on a hockey forum!

And that post was laughable at best...poor attendance? (averaging a very respectable amount compared to other teams, ESPECIALLY when compared to other teams that have missed the playoffs for as long as the flames).

Bum coach? well you covered that one looob, including that he had a better season each following year almost in SJ. Yea, bum coach alright.

Laughable.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Suter to MacInnis

vCash: 50
Quote:
A complete waste? Watch much hockey? Donovan was a first rounder by today standards (28th overall), and followed it up with a gold medal at the world juniors with Canada. 600 games into his NHL he is one of the best penalty killers in the league. He might not be a 30 goal scorer, but he is a solid NHL player who could play for any team in the league. I don't really understand the point of your post other than the obvious intent to stir up an argument.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:36 PM
CupBound

Quote:

Are you simple? If not I suggest to get your DUMB ass out off a hockey related message board.

What a joke.

Old
12-09-2003, 02:47 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Hmmm...that "waste" would be leading your Sharks in goals...

How did you become a moderator anyways..?

Pretty hard to take anything you say seriously when you say the Flames have "bum fans", a "lousy coach", and a "bad team".

Perhaps you should look in the mirror before you spew any more of your misinformed and tragically biased rhetoric.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
I agree to a certian extent. By no means do I think Donovan is garbage but I don't think he can be counted on to produce goals consistantly. It's good to see him producing and I wish him well, but the truth is 75 percent of the time he is stinking up the ice so bad the broadcasters can smell it. OK maybe not, but he has been a let down since being drafted with the exception of this last week.
I didn't see much of him when he was with Pittsburgh, SJ and Colorado. But i've seen a lot of him since he was dealt to Calgary at the deadline last year, and he's been arguably our top forward since that time. And that was before he went on this goal-scoring streak....

At best he puts up goals like he is right now. But the rest of the time he's been a menacing checking forward.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man
Cyclops is mad because Donovan and the Flames beat his team to death. Just ignore him.
I wouldn't say that the Flames beat the Sharks "to death" but I for one was one happy guy when Kipper came out with the win. A fine how-do-ya-do to some of his critics in SJ (who always need a scapegoat). Predicted the 3-1 Flames win (even called Cheech scoring the only Sharks goal ).

On the topic of Sutter, let me say this...he's a good coach that will bring ANY bottomfeeder to a very high level of play but will plateau at no more than a playoff contender. His strategy just doesn't build a Cup contender. Right now, hes the perfect coach for the Flames but after a few years, I guarantee will hit a hump and tune Sutter out. Good guy and a great coach for a rebuilding team but he'll never win a Cup.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:24 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
I wouldn't say that the Flames beat the Sharks "to death" but I for one was one happy guy when Kipper came out with the win. A fine how-do-ya-do to some of his critics in SJ (who always need a scapegoat). Predicted the 3-1 Flames win (even called Cheech scoring the only Sharks goal ).

On the topic of Sutter, let me say this...he's a good coach that will bring ANY bottomfeeder to a very high level of play but will plateau at no more than a playoff contender. His strategy just doesn't build a Cup contender. Right now, hes the perfect coach for the Flames but after a few years, I guarantee will hit a hump and tune Sutter out. Good guy and a great coach for a rebuilding team but he'll never win a Cup.
fine with us...Sutter is only going to coach here for a few years anyways before becoming fulltime GM...Playfair is the likely heir apparent

Old
12-09-2003, 08:43 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
fine with us...Sutter is only going to coach here for a few years anyways before becoming fulltime GM...Playfair is the likely heir apparent
I agree completely.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:53 PM
PhillyNucksFan

flames in 4.. lose stanley cup final in 7

and miss the playoffs the next year, just like the last couple cinderella teams.

Closed Thread