HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Don Cherry Talk

Old
04-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Karl Pilkington

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttFan View Post
I thought the TSN Reporters segment was awesome. The given throughout the talk that the Habs were THE feel good story of the year - the rest was playing devil's advocate. Maybe Simmons isn't a convert yet, but he didn't close the door on the Habs. I thought their talk on Gainey's building what we've now got was great. Maybe we didn't get Briere, meh, no big deal. I also thought they were all very supportive of Habs fans' patience over the past few years.
Yes I agree.. but it seemed like Simmons was trying to do more than play devil's advocate. He seemed like he needed to squeeze in as much negativity as possible.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:25 PM
LesHabs66

Unfortunately for me living away from Canada I rarely get to see anything on RDS and have to settle for the biased CBC or local team broadcasts like NESN and so forth via NHL Centre Ice. Last night I didn't get the CBC feed but had to watch the VS network. Not bad but the three announcers talked over most of the action and it just wasn't their best effort. I tuned into the CBC website to see the HNIC feeds and was shocked to see Don Cherry's comments. Normally his stuff is mildly irritating and stupid but this was utterly unprofessional. To openly root for as US team during HNIC and to show that ancient Kovalev footage was nothing short of being a childish poor sport.

Do they allow announcers to drink heavily before going on the air at the CBC? Go Habs. Roll the Bruins tonight. End their dream on Tuesday. Let's see how petty Mr. Cherry can get after that. Face it, he isn't going to change and the CBC is still going to be biased. The best way to beat them is to win it all and watch them suffer.

Go Habs!

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:39 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Since when is Cherry's salary paid by our taxes? I'm pretty sure the advertising revenue he brings in for his segment far outweigh his salary.
Geez, if you really want to figure it out, he probably gets us a tax break as he makes them $.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristoHuet View Post
Yes I agree.. but it seemed like Simmons was trying to do more than play devil's advocate. He seemed like he needed to squeeze in as much negativity as possible.
First off I did not see this week's The Reporters so I won't comment on Simmons remarks.

But Simmons generally balances off his major rival and Toronto Star counterpart Damien Cox.

Cox sees Gainey as a strong leader, good builder, competent manager, and a success. Naturally Simmons has taken the view that Gainey is nothing special, lucky, and simply adequate despite his flaws.

Hence Simmons absurd story that Gainey offered the moon and stars for Mats Sundin at the trade deadline. It fits with his agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Geez, if you really want to figure it out, he probably gets us a tax break as he makes them $.
I guess the argument is not one of who pays his salary, but rather if what he does and says fits within the mandate of a public broadcaster.

If having an illiterate clown talking nonsense for 9 minutes is good for Canadian life then we shouldn't care too much about the source of his salary. But I think it's embarassingly silly to thing Canadians are better off because of CC. I personally can think of better ways to fill the slot (and Hrudey is not one of those ways).

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-13-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 03:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I guess the argument is not one of who pays his salary, but rather if what he does and says fits within the mandate of a public broadcaster.

If having an illiterate clown talking nonsense for 9 minutes is good for Canadian life then we shouldn't care too much about the source of his salary. But I think it's embarassingly silly to thing Canadians are better off because of CC. I personally can think of better ways to fill the slot (and Hrudey is not one of those ways).
I agree with you. I'd like some more in depth analysis, or league wide news , maybe historical features, maybe an around the horn sort of thing whjere you get divisonal news, who knows ?

That's just me and as much as the guy bores and annoys me, the masses seem to hang on his every word, despite whether they like him or not.

We have this thread again don't we ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
First off I did not see this week's The Reporters so I won't comment on Simmons remarks.

But Simmons generally balances off his major rival and Toronto Star counterpart Damien Cox.

Cox sees Gainey as a strong leader, good builder, competent manager, and a success. Naturally Simmons has taken the view that Gainey is nothing special, lucky, and simply adequate despite his flaws.

Hence Simmons absurd story that Gainey offered the moon and stars for Mats Sundin at the trade deadline. It fits with his agenda.
The Montreal CTV affiliate have their own version on Saturday's at 6.30. Ron Reusch hosts it. Yesterday they had Mitch Melnick, Murray Wilson and Michael Farber.

No one's on with an agenda, they can disagree without yelling, all of them know their stuff and are articulate. I would guess that the average Joe Fan who complains about Cherry or whoever wouldn't watch this, they'd find it dull, no showmanship.

Personally, I enjoy the show alot when I can catch it, but I'm not sure there's a market for intelligent conversation.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-13-2008 at 03:50 PM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:06 PM
BeliveauFan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
cherry is a loser, a racist, a laffs and goon fanboy, a big senile old man that needs to get out of there asap
cant believe my tax pay is salary
the sooner cbc get rid of him the more viewers they will get
And he raised that old incident under the premise it had some relation to Mike Green's slapper felling the Flyer defender, and no whistle.

The old codger never did draw a correlation; it was just a stab at Kovalev.

Cheap and classless stuff, but it's the kind of crud that makes sullen Leaf fans happy.

BeliveauFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 07:53 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
Cherry can be a pretty big loud mouth, I agree. I like to think of it as one Canadian who likes to speak his mind, personally, among many many who don't. For all those complaining about tax dollars...why don't you look to where Ontario and Alberta's tax dollars are going before you complain. Transfer payments is all that can be said.
I agree, the people who are basically saying Cherry shouldn't talk like that because they are paying his salary are pretty ignorant.

First of all the amount of tax dollars that actually goes to CBC is very minimal, the Canadian government have a lot of other plans for our tax dollars. Where CBC actually makes most of their money is from all their sponsers and all those commericials we watch especially during a hockey game. So unless you sponser hockey night in Canada or pay for advertising chances are your not paying anyone's salary there.

But if you still refuse to believe that your not paying Cherry's salary than sit back, watch coach's corner and watch him earn that salary that you pay him every week.

TJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Why would you want him to come on tv and say things about the Habs that he does not truly feel? I would rather him be honest and come out and say what he feels, even if I don't agree.

Ok....well then you listen to his rude remarks about the Habs players, the outrageous comments about how the refs won Montreal the game and the rest of his senile comments about the NHL in general.

I don't care if the guy doesn't like Montreal or not....but he never liked the Leafs until CBC became the Leafs Channel and he had to jump on their band wagon. I just think the old geezer could give the Habs the respect they deserve and most definitely earned this season. Afterall they are a good Canadian team playing on CBC.

Cherry is getting to the point where he should retire. He doesn't know anything about the NHL game that is played today....so most of his game comments aren't accurate.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post

I don't care if the guy doesn't like Montreal or not....but he never liked the Leafs until CBC became the Leafs Channel and he had to jump on their band wagon. I just think the old geezer could give the Habs the respect they deserve and most definitely earned this season. Afterall they are a good Canadian team playing on CBC.
The reg season means nothing right now.

The only Hab that deserves any respect since after Game 1 would be Price.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Vilgrain

i do like cherry
i especially like laughing at him
and i'll laugh even harder once the habs beats his team down

Vilgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Darz

I think I would be MORE upset if Cherry started rooting for the habs!!!

Firstly, I think we all realize that if Cherry had to rank all 30 NHL teams from favorite to least favorite, the Leafs would be #1, the Bruins would be #2, and the Montreal Canadiens would be a distant 30th!!!! That is just how it is. It ain't going to change, especially now that he is a crusty old man.

Secondly, Cherry can't hold back what he is really thinking. He can try to pretend he is unbias, but a 4 year old could hide his/her emotions better. Again, this is never going to change. Accept it and move on.

Thirdly....and this should make you feel better....Cherry hasn't seen one of his beloved teams (Leafs/Bruins) win a cup in THIRTY SIX years!!!!!!!! The habs have won SEVEN Stanley Cup since then. Oh, and I doubt he will see one of his beloved teams win a Cup anytime soon, so....

04-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristoHuet View Post
Did anyone else watch that "The Reporters" segment on TSN? Go to the TSN hockey page if you get the chance... just as bad.

Apparently, according to brilliant analyst Steve Simmons:

"Come on, they're playing the Bruins! I mean both these teams weren't supposed to make the playoffs... "

What does it matter? Expectations are one thing, reality is another.

"The habs have performed beyond their capabilities, simple."

No. No. No. They haven't. Didn't we win a playoff game last night on talent alone (the effort was lacking bigtime last night)?

"Some of what happened [this year] was flukey [because the habs signed Smolinkski and Hamrlik over Briere]"

Dear lord.

It's like every single one of the habs accomplishments this year was based on some random series of events.

It's frustrating but at the same time it's actually really funny. You might not get why I found this segment to be so annoying but you really have to watch it and see people's demeanour throughout the discussion.
I was trying to go to sleep after a night shift and this did the trick.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Ok....well then you listen to his rude remarks about the Habs players, the outrageous comments about how the refs won Montreal the game and the rest of his senile comments about the NHL in general.

Cherry is getting to the point where he should retire. He doesn't know anything about the NHL game that is played today....so most of his game comments aren't accurate.
I will continue to watch/listen to Cherry, thanks so kindly for giving me permission. Like I said, I don't agree with all the comments that Cherry makes when he is on tv. But I watch him for entertainment purposes and I'm smart enough to listen closely when he says something of substance. I'm also smart enough to tune him out if I don't agree with what he's saying. The same way I do with my g/f, I listen closely when she's talking about something I'm interested in, and tune her out if I don't.

He never liked the Leafs before coming to work for the CBC? Oh man are you lost, back in the day when he was fired from the Bruins he made serveral attempts to coach the Leafs. This also continued for a few years after he was let go from Colorado.

I don't mind your other opinions because I feel that everyone should be allowed to express theirs. It's the facts that you stated that bothered me, that's why I decided to post again in this thread.

04-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF View Post
I agree, the people who are basically saying Cherry shouldn't talk like that because they are paying his salary are pretty ignorant.

First of all the amount of tax dollars that actually goes to CBC is very minimal, the Canadian government have a lot of other plans for our tax dollars. Where CBC actually makes most of their money is from all their sponsers and all those commericials we watch especially during a hockey game. So unless you sponser hockey night in Canada or pay for advertising chances are your not paying anyone's salary there.

But if you still refuse to believe that your not paying Cherry's salary than sit back, watch coach's corner and watch him earn that salary that you pay him every week.
Oh, I don't mind, I like Cherry. Someone needs to stop beating around the bush, and he did it a long time ago. People just pass him off as being "senile" or "ignorant" well sometimes he is ignorant, but who isn't?

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote