HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why we shouldn't sign Mark Streit

Old
04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
bib
#believe

vCash: 500
why you should base a signing on not just 3 playoff games but rather a whole season...

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
rudethedude66

I cant friggin believe this thread is on this board....Has everyone forgot that this guy is one of the reasons we had the season we did....Some of u ppl are a disgrace

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
I like your attitude. He may turn out into another Bouillon or Dandenault if we sign him.
He also may turn out to be a 50 + PTS per year player.

Another Bouillon/Dandenault.

Streit is offensive, those guys aren't. No comparison.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He also may turn out to be a 50 + PTS per year player.

Another Bouillon/Dandenault.

Streit is offensive, those guys aren't. No comparison.
Also, those guys are defencemen.

Streit is a weak forward who plays the point on the PP.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Also, those guys are defencemen.

Streit is a weak forward who plays the point on the PP.
Streit had a bad game at forward tonight (where he hasn't played in weeks!!!!)..

He's a very good forward who is great on the PP.

PS. Dandy is a forward too.. but okay.

Old
04-15-2008, 09:06 PM
SuperUnknown

Streit is a better version of Jeff Hamilton. He can pick up points on the PP, is more effective as a forward than as a dman. However, signing him for big money long term would be a mistake. Offer him a 2 year 2m-2.5m deal and tell him he's going to always play as a forward.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Damn guys, I think y'all are forgetting he's a PLAYOFF ROOKIE. You guys are judging the player's future in the franchise by how fast he steps up during key games in a new environment? Pretty BS if you ask me. That's like saying let's let Plekanec go since he's stinking up just as bad.
Sergei Kostitsyn is younger and is a rookie too.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
Streit is a better version of Jeff Hamilton. He can pick up points on the PP, is more effective as a forward than as a dman. However, signing him for big money long term would be a mistake. Offer him a 2 year 2m-2.5m deal and tell him he's going to always play as a forward.
How bout we just cashier him, sign a stud like Jagr or Sundin and bring up a kid like Maxwell or a real Dman who can provide some jam? Big upgrade over two mediocre forwards (Ryder too) with little hockey sense.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Damn guys, I think y'all are forgetting he's a PLAYOFF ROOKIE. You guys are judging the player's future in the franchise by how fast he steps up during key games in a new environment? Pretty BS if you ask me. That's like saying let's let Plekanec go since he's stinking up just as bad.
He's 30!!! Don't use playoff rookie as an excuse, he has plenty of International (Olympic) experience so he should know how to step it up in key games.

The truth is he is not good enough to play defence and we won't have room up front for him next year. He will get over $3 million from someone and the truth is a guy like Sergei can be just as effective as him playing the point on the PP with Markov.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Lucius

Quote:
-He can't play defence.
-A.Kost can remplace him on the point.
-Is a third or fourth line foward.
-Has his season year.
-we have the dept to remplace him.

This is why I wouldn't sign him. Would you?
Ah the monthly Streit bashing thread.

Fact is, most his points came as a defenseman (either on the PP or actually playing D, most his big games were when he was actually playing the point). People often cite his terrible defense, but I don't know many offensive defenseman who play on the 3rd pair who are much better. He has a fast stick, good positioning, but he is not physical nor is he a shot blocker. That's why god invented Ryan O'Byrne.

As a forward, he's a good 3rd line defensive forward with some offensive upside.

As a PP point man, yes, anyone can be replaced, but I fail to see why everyone assumes Streit is just a product of the system and not actually a part of the success. There is absolutely no evidence this is true.

Has he been brilliant in the first four games? Not especially, but if that's the criteria, only Tom Kostopolous, Smolinski and Carey Price deserve to be on the team next year.

It's simple: Gainey calls agent. Agents delivers price. If price is sane, we sign him. If price is insane, we don't.

If that number is 3 million or less, I vote we sign him.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Streit had a bad game at forward tonight (where he hasn't played in weeks!!!!)..

PS. Dandy is a forward too.. but okay.
I deleted the middle bit of your post because the regular season doesn't matter right now.

Given that he played bad at D for the first three games, and terrible at forward in the fourth (not to mention bad all series on the back end of the PP, but it's not just him), what has he done in his series that suggests he's worth the kind of money he'll cost to retain?

Old
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
SOLR

Quote:
He plays about 40-50% of his ES time at forward.
More like 80%+

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
He's 30!!! Don't use playoff rookie as an excuse, he has plenty of International (Olympic) experience so he should know how to step it up in key games.

The truth is he is not good enough to play defence and we won't have room up front for him next year. He will get over $3 million from someone and the truth is a guy like Sergei can be just as effective as him playing the point on the PP with Markov.
Oh please, who gives a Sh if he's thirty. He's never been exposed to NHL playoff hockey and that's a huge factor. You guys are chasing him out of the team because he had 3 bad playoff games? Screw it. Let's not even give him a chance to redeem himself. Let's get rid of his useless ass. Unbelievable....

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

Has he been brilliant in the first four games? Not especially, but if that's the criteria, only Tom Kostopolous, Smolinski and Carey Price deserve to be on the team next year.

This is true, but there's a reason there's a monthly Streit bashing thread. He goes on streaks of several games at a time where every fan winces when he touches the puck.

There was an entire month in the middle of the season where I wanted him playing like MA Bergeron. Five minutes a night, all on the PP. Now that he's going to cost an arm and a leg, it would take an awesome performance to convince me we need him back.

Old
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Oh please, who gives a Sh if he's thirty. He's never been exposed to NHL playoff hockey and that's a huge factor. You guys are chasing him out of the team because he had 3 bad playoff games? Screw it. Let's not even give him a chance to redeem himself. Let's get rid of his useless ass. Unbelievable....
Has he really had three bad playoff games? I mean he hasn't been great, but I didn't notice him as particularly worse than everyone else.

He was at fault on the Lucic goal in game 3, other than that, I remember nothing too terrible.

He has not been terribly effective on the PP, but no one has.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
More like 80%+
Ummm. What?

This was already figured out by like 10 people.

He played 1350 (with like 5 games left or something.. which he played a lot of defense).. minutes total. 900 of those were on defense. Once you subtract the PP minutes.. it's pretty even.

So nice try.

Old
04-15-2008, 09:36 PM
SOLR

Quote:
-He can't play defence.
-A.Kost can remplace him on the point.
-Is a third or fourth line foward.
-Has his season year.
-we have the dept to remplace him.

This is why I wouldn't sign him. Would you?
I agree completely and what I am seeing from him in the playoff isnt helping Mark, hes playing very poorly.

It will end up being a choice between D'Agostini and him imo. We can find 5+ guys to score 50 pts on the powerplay beside markov, starting by the 2 brothers.

Old
04-15-2008, 09:38 PM
JV

It depends on the price. And the term. If it's 2 years at 1.25 each year, then yes. If it's 3 years at 2 million each, count me out.

He is a useful player. The playoffs just started. Based on the standard some are advocating, Plekanec would be traded for Avery in the off-season.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:38 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Has he really had three bad playoff games? I mean he hasn't been great, but I didn't notice him as particularly worse than everyone else.

He was at fault on the Lucic goal in game 3, other than that, I remember nothing too terrible.

He has not been terribly effective on the PP, but no one has.
Today was probably his worst where he was almost a liability at the point. He's making bad decisions with the puck and rushes his plays (which can be said with a lot of our players). I can't single him out but I would definitely put him at the bottom of the pack in terms of performance.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
It depends on the price. And the term. If it's 2 years at 1.25 each year, then yes. If it's 3 years at 2 million each, count me out.
You are not even close.

Think more like 2.75 M per at the minimum, three years. Powerplay alone earned Souray 5.5 M. There's no reason Streit won't get at least 3 M for a team who needs help in that vein (read, Ottawa, Anaheim, Atlanta, lots of others).

Dandenault gets almost 2 mill in FA, and took a pay cut.

Bouillon 2 M.

Streit will get substantially more.

Old
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Ummm. What?

This was already figured out by like 10 people.

He played 1350 (with like 5 games left or something.. which he played a lot of defense).. minutes total. 900 of those were on defense. Once you subtract the PP minutes.. it's pretty even.

So nice try.
On most game he was playing forward, PP was more than half his playtime. He didnt play more than 25 games as a D this year.(10 at the start of the season, and a couple here and there)

Old
04-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Maximus Taylor

Streit will get 3 mil because some teams (read Florida teams) want to make the playoffs period. After is just bonus, at least in the next few years.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
It's not just the playoffs, Streit is overall terrible on defence as we saw during the regular season and he simply isn't effective enough to play forward. He's had many chances to redeem himself in the playoffs but he hasn't delivered and he was a huge liability today.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post

Plekanec would be traded for Avery in the off-season.
Free agent. All we need to do is sign him. Do it, Bob.

Old
Nedved

id sign him, but i wouldnt miss him if he left

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote