HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny on the PK

Old
04-15-2008, 04:04 PM
gilles lupien

vCash: 500
Shanny on the PK

Can someone please explain this to me. I'm being serious. What is the reasoning with putting Shanihan on the penalty kill all the time? Is he particularly better skilled at killing penalties than others? What does he bring to a PK that others can't? Is it the fact that he's a veteran and has experience and that he's better at positioning on the pk? I mean, he still is less able to chase or fight for the puck on the side or corner. So why is he always on the PK? Is it just so he gets a little more ice time since they just want him to cover the points and maybe block a shot anyway?

Wouldn't one of the younger kids be tougher, more aggressive and possibly do a better overall job on the PK chasing, fighting, digging, dumping the puck? Maybe even create and offensive opportunity?

Thoughts? Can anyone explain the reasoning? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious.

Thanks,
GL

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
It's a point of concern around here, definitely, but more around his age and energy level than his PK skill. I for one think he's an excellent PKer, and his minutes should be trimmed elsewhere.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:06 PM
beastly115

Shanny is slow and all but on the PK he's more of an offensive threat than most of the other players on the team. He's had a couple good shorthanded chances.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
clmetsfan

Simple answer: yes, he's better skilled at killing penalties than others.

An effective PK is all about knowing where to be, anticipating passes, and blocking shots. Shanny, while slowing down, is almost always the smartest player on the ice. That's why he's there.

And really, why shouldn't he be? Up until they allowed the 2 PP goals to the Devils on Sunday, the PK had been downright dominant for nearly a month.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Shanny on the PK is one of the only things still going for him.

ES he is terrible. PP isn't much better.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
TheHotRock

i like him on the pk...his stick is always on the ice, he digs and he does a good job of keeping the puck in the corner.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:36 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i like him on the pk...his stick is always on the ice, he digs and he does a good job of keeping the puck in the corner.
he did that vs the devils in game 3...wasted about 30 seconds by holding puck in the offensive zone against the boards

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Fletch

He's very good on the PK...

unfortunately it affects his all-around even strength game negatively at times, I believe.

What's interesting is Gomez killing penalties - something he really didn't do as a Devil. Not sure of the logic in that, but it's not hurting the team so I guess it's tough to complain about that...now.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
NYROrtsFan

Gomez is actually pretty good killing penalties. He has a good feel for when to challenge at the point and when to take away some of the cross ice passes. Plus he keeps opposing teams a bit honest with the speed.

I personally don't think Shanny is great or bad at killing penalties, but I have seen quotes from him in the past where he has said that he likes killing penalties... Was some time last year, but i believe he mentioned that it helps him get into the flow of the game.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

That's hard to tell. He had 12 ES goals, which puts him with a few guys in that clump behind Jagr's 18.

His 11 ppg put him second to only Chris Drury.

The entire team is hard to judge at even-strength and that's evident by the style they play and the fact that no one scored more than 25 goals.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

agreed the guy may be slow but he's quick with his stick and he's been around for a while and knows how to make a good defensive play

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote